in Eyeliner,Eyeshadow,FOTD,Makeup,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On September 9, 2013
Last modified:September 8, 2013

Summary:

After coming across a lot of raves for the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow, I picked one up in Khaki last year. At the time, the shades available were only deep shades. I wore it a few times, but considered myself unimpressed. Then, I lost it and promptly forgot about it.

I later acquired one more in Cocoa and was also a little on the fence about it. But early this year, Laura Mercier came out with light colours for the popular Caviar Stick Eyeshadows and suddenly, everything fell into place. I fortuitously found my Khaki one, and it is now one of my favourite eyeshadows.

laura mercier caviar eyeshadow3 Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

In fact, I’d like you to meet my favourite brand of stick/crayon cream eyeshadows now available in the market. There are different brands that have them, but these from Laura Mercier are simply the best in terms of colour, application, texture and longevity.

I’m not sure why it took me so long to get to grips with it, but having done so, it’s what I use when I want a very quick and simple eye look whether for day or night, and I can be assured that it’d stick around for hours without budging or fading.

The Caviar Stick Eyeshadow come in twist up pencil form in a slim, very portable packaging. The ends of the pencil indicate the colour in the tube, which makes it easy for you to identify the colour you want at a glance. Otherwise, the body is the signature Laura Mercier brown which can be confusing.

laura mercier caviar eyeshadow2 Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

The crayon is easily twisted up and down and if I’m to be honest, doesn’t look quite like much in the tube. I will warn you not to twist it up too far as it will then be liable to break off. So, just twist it up a few millimetres above the plastic rim, and that will be enough for you to swipe it on your eye.

The key is not to use too much, because these Caviar Stick Eyeshadow thingies are seriously pigmented! Here are swatches with just 1 swipe of the crayon down my arm.

laura mercier caviar eyeshadow swatch Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

From left to right: Cocoa, Sand Glow, Khaki

Cocoa is a deep reddened brown that looks pretty much like cocoa. I don’t usually gravitate towards colours like these, but it was gifted to me and I have found that it can work, if I cool it down with a touch of Sand Glow. It is very rich and intense, and if you layer it on, you can create a very interesting brown smokey eye look. There is no discernible shimmer in this one and it dries a little matte.

Sand Glow is shimmery golden beige neutral that works beautifully as an all over lid shade, brightening the eyes, or to draw on your lower lid, to make your eyes look bigger and brighter. I like using this one both ways and this has quickly become my to-go neutral eyeshadow. A slick of this on my lids, eyeliner and mascara and I’m done!

Khaki was a colour I picked out. It isn’t a true khaki, if you ask me. The green tones are very subdued under the brown but I picked it because it is a very nice neutral shade. I wear this on my lid as a light smudge on light makeup days, and I’ve worn it heavy, as an evening eye. It works well both times.

The best thing about these crayons is the staying power. Man! You have to be quick to blend, because once it sets, that’s it. It’s not budging till you take a makeup remover to it. Bioderma gets it off, but not without a bit of rubbing, so I prefer using a bi-phase eye makeup remover.

To wear these, here’s how I do it:-

• When using a deep colour like Cocoa or Khaki, I draw a thick line close to my lashes, halfway up my lid.
  • Using my finger, I smudge the edges of the colour to blend out the harsh edges, and I’m done!
  • With the lighter Sand Glow, I colour in my lid and then use my finger to blend out the harsh edges

I end up with eye makeup that looks something like this:-

laura mercier caviar eyeshadow Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

Note: Picture #1 should read Sand Glow – I’m not sure where Sunglow came from icon razz Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

In all these looks, I tightline and line the lower lid part of the way with a black eyeliner pencil. For Sand Glow, I coloured in the lid and then blended out the edges with my fingers, and drew a line on my lower lie. It opens up the eyes and helps masks red rimmed eyes and makes you look more alert.

I didn’t apply Cocoa or Khaki as intensely as I might for a more intense look. In both, I drew a thick line from the inner corner to the outer corner, close to my lashes and then part of the way up. Then, I blend the colour out to soften the colour, so what you see when I open my eyes is the lighter blended shade. If I wanted something more intense, I’d colour the whole lid, then blend out the further edges, so what you see when I open my eyes, is the full intensity of the crayon.

You can apply it how you like – your imagination is the limit icon smile Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

For an idea of what it might look when I zoom back out, here’s a look of me wearing Khaki.

laura mercier caviar eyeshadow fotd Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

Khaki is a very work friendly colour, and my other favourite next to Sand Glow. I like using them both together for that POW! effect, because Khaki is a very pretty lid colour and Sand Glow, used to line the bottom lid perks up the complexion and makes you look awake almost instantly while defining the eyes.

You can also use these as a base for powder eyeshadow, or as a liner. If you have a liner brush, you can use it to pick off the colour to draw in a thin line. The texture is creamy smooth, the formula is simply amazingly longlasting and the ease of use is second to none. These days, when I travel or if I want a very quick, fuss-free eye look, I just whip out Khaki and Sand Glow and I’m ready in half the time it takes me to open an eyeshadow palette. Gets me loads of compliments too! icon wink Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

In a nutshell

Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick Eyeshadow are cream eyeshadows in twist up crayon form. The texture is very creamy and very pigmented. One swipe gets you very intense colour that is very easy to blend out to lighten. The formula is also very long lasting. I have picture-perfect eye makeup from morning till evening with these. The only 2 problems I’d identify are the small selection of colours, and that you have to work quickly to blend before it sets. Once it sets, there’s no budging it!

Pros: Creamy texture, Very pigmented colours, Easy to blend, Longlasting on skin once it sets, A little goes a long way

Cons: Small selection of colours, Have to blend it out quickly before it sets

Who will like this: Anyone who uses cream eyeshadow, Anyone who wants a very easy to use and fuss-free eyeshadow with fairly neutral colours

When I reviewed the Chanel Stylo Eyeshadow in Moon River a while back, I was asked how Moon River compares to the Laura Mercier Sand Glow. So, I did a side by side swatch comparison for your viewing pleasure icon biggrin Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

laura mercier caviar sunglow chanel Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

Left-Right: Laura Mercier Cocoa Caviar Stick Eyeshadow, Laura Mercier Sand Glow Caviar Stick Eyeshadow, Chanel Stylo Eyeshadow in Moon River

You might be able to tell that where Sand Glow is pigmented but a light shade of golden beige, Moon River is a sheer metallic beige. What this means is that Sand Glow shows up much better on skin than Moon River. The shimmer in Sand Glow is elegant and pretty on eyes while Moon River tends to be very shimmery and shiny with a “wet” look.

Having used both, I would personally pick Sand Glow over Moon River for the reason that it’s a more versatile colour that’s easy to wear and shows up on skin without looking too shiny or shimmery. Moon River is pretty, but it was limited edition and for the price and texture, I’d get Sand Glow in a heartbeat.

Have you tried these Caviar Stick Eyeshadows? Do you have a favourite colour that you think I should own?

I am itching to get more, simply because I use these so often as they are so effortless. Laura Mercier came up with some lighter, more shimmery eye-brightening shades this year as opposed to the previous versions which are deep colours and work well as lid shades or as a quick smokey eye. This means, there’s greater scope for blending now. So, I’m thinking of getting Amethyst, Plum, Jungle… Damn, I’ll just have them all please? What’s your fave? icon razz Like luxury caviar, the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow is like creamy luxurious colour on your lids

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eyeshadow Price: RM89 Availability: Laura Mercier counters

Jacqueline September 9, 2013 at 9:04 am

These are my favs too, you have to try Rose Gold. It is the one I use all the time as an all over lid colour. I am so glad they decided to make lighter shades, they last surprisingly well on my oily lids.

Paris B September 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

Ok, noting Rose Gold, Jacqueline :D Thanks for letting us know it works for oily lids too! I loved that they came out with lighter shades. The darker ones are excellent for a smokey eye but we can’t always be wearing a smokey eye… or can we? ;)

Victoria September 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

It looks lovely on you. Will keep this in mind if I purchase stick eyeshadows. Could you recommend a good black eyeliner pencil?

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Thank you Victoria! There’s only one black eyeliner pencil I use which is the Guerlain Kohl eyeliner pencil. However, I think it may have been discontinued and replaced. Another one that does a good job is Canmake. Here’s my review on it :)

Lily September 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

I have these in Khaki and Amethyst, and I’m eyeing Sand Glow and Grey Pearl! Even though these crease on their own, it works great on top of a good primer, or as a base. I’ve been loving these LM and also BB ones :-)

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh good to know you got them working over primer. I seriously love these. Quality is par excellance!

Hanny Daforcena September 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

I immediately jumped to the website and looked at Seashell. I love shimmery beige colors like this because you can use it as a base that’s not to stark like white and use it to line the waterline to widen the eyes and open them up! ^.^

I’ll definitely consider these after my MAC Paint Pot dries up – I’ve been using that since the start of Uni~ Three years and still going strong!

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Good idea about using it as a base, Hanny :) I think these crayon pencils definitely deserve their hype status. Very good on their own or as a base :)

Parita September 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh my the shade are gorgeous! and not that expensive also ..how do these compare to the clinique chubby ones? also one request if you could do a post on all your cream eyeshadow collection and swatch them side by side..would be a big help :) thank you

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hmm I’d say these trump the Clinique Chubby eye pencils because these are so lovely and pigmented and creamy. I like the Clinique one but the texture is a bit harder. Good idea on the cream shadow post. I did have plans to do one, but kept getting side tracked. Going to have to find some time to sit down and take the pictures. Also, I plan to do some quick comparisons between the different crayon pencil shadow things so hopefully it all happens!

Parita September 11, 2013 at 9:26 pm

wow i’ll be waiting! thanks

Tracy@Beauty Reflections September 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

MAN I’ve been seeing these everywhere lately! SO I WILL GET ONE. hahaha! Grey Pearl is on my radar, as I think I have every other shade in pencil form except that! These are pretty on you my friend!

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Yes Tracy, you must! I think you’ll love them because they’re just so easy to use! :D Grey Pearl sounds very pretty. I want them all :P

casey23 September 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I always prefer eyeshadow sticks they are easier to use and carry (except for Sephora, their caps always broke or something and aaaalways paints my bag inside out!). I’ve been seeing these everywhere but unfortunately when it comes down to eyeshadow sticks my price range is a bit low, though I love Laura Mercier!

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I never quite got the hang of shadow sticks before this, Casey so you are light years ahead of me haha! :D I do think these are absolutely worth saving up for. I do realise they aren’t cheap, but maybe you could put them on your birthday or Christmas wishlist ;)

PositivelyNice September 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm

You are tempting me! I have not yet buy in to these. Of the three you have, I think I will love Cocoa and Sand Glow. Gorgeous gorgeous.

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I think Cocoa will look gorgeous on your warm toned skin! Definitely do take a look if you have the chance :D

Sunny September 9, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’m glad you ended up loving these, Paris! These are definitely my favorite shadow sticks as well. I love the formula as well as the depth the shades have! I own Sand Glow and Grey Pearl for the moment, but I’ll be adding Khaki to my collection this autumn!

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I’m glad too Sunny, and happy that so many other people do too! It sounds like Grey Pearl is a colour I should get, so that’s next on my list. Oh and Khaki would be gorgeous on you!

Lavender September 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Wow. Your reader says it lasts on oily lid. Must try. Can I use it as primer n topped with powder shadow? That’s how I used Estée cream shadow.

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Yep! These work on their own, or as a base. I think it’s fab. I don’t know if it lasts on oily lids, but if it doesn’t, then a light primer might help.

Larie September 10, 2013 at 2:16 am

I like these, too! I only have Sandglow, but I think I’m gonna get Grey Pearl and maybe Amethyst soon.

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Yay Larie! I just saw your post myself and snap on owning Sand Glow too! :D I’m also eyeing Amethyst and everyone here is making me look at Grey Pearl too. These are such fab products!

Giada September 10, 2013 at 4:18 am

Khaki and Cocoa are so beautiful! I think Cocoa could be my favorite one from your pictures. Now I want these so badly!

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Aww Giada, if you have a warmer skintone, Cocoa will be absolutely fab on you :D They’re absolutely worth the money. I could wear them everyday, which is saying something ;)

kassie September 10, 2013 at 8:21 am

I love all three of these eyeshadow sticks. Creme eyeshadow sticks are my weakness and these are in the most beautiful colors, also color I tend to wear all the time. Great post

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Thank you Kassie :D I must say it’s taken me a while to warm up to these but man! They are really excellent!

Ting September 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

yay on easy to use and double yay for getting compliments! :D

I am super kiamsiap now that I know I could get cheaper price in KL for the same stuff. So I won’t be buying much makeup stuff here until I hit the duty free shop or KL malls… hehehe

I still have the Clinique Chubby Stick for eyes high in my wish list after you posted about it. Maybe this caviar stick too? hahaha

Paris B September 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Haha when you get back here, you’ll go nuts! I still like the Clinique Chubby stick for eyes, but you definitely do need one of these as well. Maybe get the Clinique in a light shade, and the LM one in one of their dark smokey shades. Seriously good!

Shari September 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Youve convinced me already, Paris B!! I shall try these out.

Paris B September 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I hope you like them Shari! They’re fab!