in New on shelves,Product Reviews,Skincare,Toner/Lotion

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On January 16, 2014
Last modified:January 27, 2014

Summary:

Some of you may have already heard the buzz from Estee Lauder about a new lotion in the market. I snuck you a peek at the Micro Essence lotion about a month back and I promised I’d tell you how or if I like it. Well, now is the time icon smile The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this The Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion is now on shelves and you can have a go at it to see what the fuss is about. I received an sms from the Estee Lauder counter that you can get some free samples so go! Sample! icon smile The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

But before you run out the door here’s what I think about this new, and apparently, revolutionary product.

estee lauder micro essence lotion The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

The Micro Essence is only available in Asia for now so friends in the Western world will have to wait to see if you get it or if it never arrives. The reason I think it’s made for the Asian market is because of what it is – a treatment lotion that is something many of us who are familiar with Asian type skincare are familiar with.

This isn’t a toner in the traditional sense. What this is is an essence in lotion that hydrates, calms and repairs the skin barrier amongst others. Those of us who are already familiar with Asian skincare will be familiar with how this works and I think the nod given by Estee Lauder, a quintessentially American brand, to the growing Asian skincare market is to be applauded.

And yet, where have we seen this before right here on this blog? icon wink The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

If you guessed SK-II Facial Treatment Essence and La Mer Treatment Lotion, give yourself top points.

estee lauder micro essence lotion4 The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

But before I tell you how similar (or different) they are, I’d like to tell you how I feel about this Micro Essence after about a month’s use.

For starters, the product comes in a lovely frosted translucent glass bottle with a gold cap. Very classy, very luxurious. The lotion is quite liquid. A little more viscous than water, but not by very much. There are 2 ways you can use this:-

• Saturate a cotton pad and apply all over your face, patting it on; or
  • Pour a few drops into your palm and pat it on your skin

I prefer using the latter method because I feel there’s less wastage this way. After about a month, I can attest to nicely hydrated skin. If you have dry skin you will appreciate how well this boosts hydration levels of your skin. If you have oily or combination skin, you too will appreciate how comfortable it feels because as we know, oily and combination skin can be dehydrated too.

As we know, when your skin is hydrated, a lot of your skin woes will be solved and skincare will absorb better and work better. However, although this product promises you will see a nice healthy glow to the skin, supple skin, clearer skin and more even toned complexion because it “activates” your skin so it performs and behaves better, I didn’t experience it.

This might be due to a couple of factors. I went on to try this after I was using the La Mer The Treatment Lotion and that truly did transform my skin. Perhaps then, my skin was already at its optimum and therefore couldn’t get any better. Perhaps I might have seen a better result had I used this first. Perhaps it just wasn’t as effective for me. I can’t say for sure, but I can attest to it maintaining my skin’s hydration.

estee lauder micro essence lotion2 The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

Estee Lauder says that this Micro Essence when paired with their new Advanced Night Repair Synchronised Recovery 2 will make the ANR work even better than on its own. Again, I didn’t notice much of a difference to my skin. ANR2 makes my skin look very rested and that is something I have to thank it for, when I quite literally feel like crap. Adding the Micro Essence helped it absorb just a wee bit better but I didn’t quite notice a marked improvement. Again, it could well be that my skin is already at its optimum so what the Micro Essence is doing, is preserving that optimum level my skin has achieved.

estee lauder micro essence lotion3 The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

Therefore I think that if you are going into this as a treatment lotion virgin then you may notice a marked improvement to your skin whether in terms of hydration or a healthier skin and glow. But if you have been using similar products and are quite happy with how your skin is doing right now, then you may notice the hydration improvement but not much else, like I did. It will depend a lot therefore on your skincare routine and lifestyle and just your skin in general icon smile The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

In a nutshell

The Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion is a new lotion tailored for the Asian market. What this is, is a light watery lotion that you apply on skin after cleansing and before your serums and moisturiser. It helps to increase the hydration levels of your skin as well as strengthens the skin barrier so skin is healthier and healthy skin glows. I personally experienced the hydration bit but not the glowy bit primarily because I think I’d started using this after already using a similar lotion. So my skin probably was already treated by the time I started Micro Essence so if you haven’t used a similar product then you may noticed a result but if you already use a similar product then you may not. It will depend.

Pros: Addresses skin dehydration problems quite quickly and effectively, Easy to use, Packaging is luxurious, Spreads and absorbs quickly into skin

Cons: Pricey, Packaging isn’t portable and travel friendly, Danger of pouring out too much product

Who will like this: Anyone who has a problem with dehydrated skin, Anyone who already uses a treatment lotion product and want to try something similar

EL Micro Essence vs SK-II FTE vs La Mer Treatment Lotion

I know what some of you are thinking (I read minds don’t ya know? icon wink The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this ). How is this similar or different to the SK2 FTE or the La Mer Treatment Lotion that I raved on about?

Well SK-II breaks me out so on that front, it’s a non-starter for me. This EL Micro Essence didn’t break me out so going head to head, I’d pick the EL Micro Essence.

Pitting the EL Micro Essence to the La Mer Treatment Lotion, despite the scent, I’m picking the La Mer Treatment Lotion on the grounds simply I prefer the slightly more viscous texture and also because it doesn’t leave a residue on my skin which I do get a wee bit with this EL Micro Essence. There is a bit of a scent in the EL Micro Essence but it isn’t unpleasant nor strong. I personally also feel that the La Mer Treatment Lotion is more hydrating for me so I’ll pick that one.

So for me: La Mer > Estee Lauder > SK-II

You can be sure more will be added to this equation. 2014 will be the “Year of Treatment Lotions” Mark my words icon wink The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

Does this Micro Essence intrigue you? Do you use a similar treatment lotion as part of your skincare routine?

You can sample this at Estee Lauder counters and see if you like it before investing in it. I think it’s a good product but manage your expectations so you don’t get disappointed icon smile The Asia Exclusive Estee Lauder Micro Essence Treatment Lotion Launches: My thoughts on this

Ingredients: Water, Bifida Ferment Lysate, PEG-75, Propanediol, Butylene Glycol, Betaine, Pentylene Glycol, Lactobacillus Ferment, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Acetyl Glucosamine, Trehalose, Caffeine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Anthemis Nobilis (camomile), Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Citrate, Tromethamine, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol <ILN40033>

Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion Price: RM320/150ml Availability: Estee Lauder counters nationwide (Asia only until further notice)

Disclosure: Featured product is a press sample for consideration. Our commitment is to an honest and fair review. For posting guidelines please read the disclaimer.

liyeun January 16, 2014 at 8:35 am

Oh dear… now that you are comparing it closely with la mer’s, im in trouble. I should not read this! T_T
liyeun recently blogged…Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation SPF19My Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Haha Well I couldn’t help it. I’d already tried the La Mer one and that seems to work better for me :)

LeGeeque January 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

Whew. Good to know I can stick to what I have for now. If this is going to be the year of lotions, you will soon have lotions coming out of your ears :D

January 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

LOL Yes indeed! There are a couple out there already but mostly from the Estee Lauder stable. It’s like they picked up SK2 FTE and went crazy with all their brands!

liyeun January 16, 2014 at 8:37 am

Wait! Now im back, may i know why is this not travel friendly?

January 20, 2014 at 5:37 pm

The glass bottle isn’t very portable – fragile and heavy :)

kel January 16, 2014 at 8:54 am

Wow..aint cheap, yo!!!
But I love you for reading minds!!! Haha..thanks p!! Great post as usual

January 20, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Most welcome Kel :D I guessed most people would be wondering about this and no, it isn’t cheap at all! There are some promos going on though I was told where a boatload of deluxe sized samples come with the purchase of a lotion.

Jenn
January 16, 2014 at 9:03 am

Lol I was just going to comment that I’ve been seeing these ‘lotions’ everywhere in the past few months! :D Currently using the Divine one from L’Occitane, which works nicely for my skin, but I can’t help to be tempted by the La Mer one (after reading your review, of course! You’re SO BAD for my wallet!! Hahaha!). Die liao the things I want to try are getting more and more expensive @.@
Jenn recently blogged…Jenn Asks: Where have you travelled to in the past year? :D My Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Indeed! It’s like the Western skincare world woke up one day and realised that they could sell lotions to the Asian market LOL! :D I haven’t tried the L’Occitane one – didn’t even know it existed! :P I highly recommend trying to get a sample of the La Mer before buying. You never know, maybe it won’t work for you ;)

Tracy January 16, 2014 at 9:17 am

NOT FAIR hahaha. I want to try this! So, how about that Shiseido one then? The one in the red bottle? Is that the same thing?
Tracy recently blogged…Sephora Collection Spring In Soho Eye, Lip & Cheek Palette-Review, Thoughts and Ramblings about PastelsMy Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm

LOL! Sorry Tracy, this is probably to make up for the N. American only releases that we don’t get ;) I haven’t tried the Shiseido lotion in the red bottle but I think it has a similar concept. I hear that’s really good too and that it’s endured for over 140 years!

Cynthia January 16, 2014 at 10:04 am

I’m very happy with my ANR now. So I guess I might give this amiss. Good for my pocket Eh? :)
Cynthia recently blogged…Artsphere 20/8ty: Malaysia Largest Interactive 3D Murals!My Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Well not if you believe Estee Lauder who will tell you that this lotion will make ANR work EVEN BETTER! LOL Well, try to grab a sample if you can. I believe they’re giving out samples now at counters ;)

January 16, 2014 at 10:12 am

I didn’t use any lotions or essences before this, and I noticed great improvements on my skin where hydration is concerned. Because my skin is so hydrated, most of the other imperfections are blurred. Thanks for comparing this with La Mer. I am now very curious – will I see a difference if I used La Mer after this Estee Lauder one? LOL!
Lily recently blogged…REVEALED! The NEW Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment LotionMy Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Interesting question – time to try the La Mer one then? :) I think this EL one is good for what they say it does. I like how hydrated my skin feels with this and since I’m on a hydration kick, it’s always awesome having a hydrating lotion on hand :)

Victoria January 16, 2014 at 10:28 am

I am about to redeem a sample of this soon. Will definitely give it a try but it is beyond my budget. I am aiming for ANR II this year which is a better long term investment I would think :-) The other day, I was doing a rough calculation on how much I spent on skincare in a year and the figure scared me. Hahaha. Mind you, I have not added ANR II to the equation and the amount is already so high. I guess this is the price we women have to pay for good skin.

January 20, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Yep, I think ANR will be a better option between the two. But definitely try the sample and see how you like it (Or not ;) ) Don’t even get me to tally up how much I spend on skincare! LOL I did it once and I’ve never done it again coz it’s just too scary :P That said, we could always switch downwards on the price scale but finding something that works is sometimes more of a hassle than it’s worth ;)

Parita January 16, 2014 at 10:47 am

I don’t see myself picking this up in near future atleast not before trying a sample! its quite expensive from the price point!
Parita recently blogged…Neutral Smokey Eyes Tutorial Using Stila In The Light PaletteMy Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Yep, it most certainly is pricey. Not half as pricey as SK2 so I can see this one taking away some of SK2′s fans :D

evo January 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

Aahh…so tempting as I have relatives heading back to KK for.a visit. But it’s expensive.

January 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yep, relatively so ;) Much cheaper than SK2 though for a similar function so… ;)

jk January 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Estee Lauder’s latest sounds interesting.. Will definitely check out the sample. I am presently a total fan of SKII FTE. (Can only afford to splurge on that sole item from SKII) I use the FTE as a toner (the SKII SA balked when I mentioned that – why I ask?) before some serum and then the moisturiser. The Le Mer sample I got was way too smidgen to get a feel of any effect.
I must confess, there are moments when I get a bit lost with all the toners, lotions, serums – before the moisturizers, sun block (?), primer (?) and foundation before the powder.. Help!
Brand/item digression – what does Dior’s Dream Skin fit in?

January 20, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I’d be interested to know how SK2 FTE users feel about this one because it does seem to perform a similar sort of function without all the wonderful back story about pitera and rice etc :D When I was using the SK2 FTE I too used it as a toner, in the sense of using it post cleaning and pre-moisturising. I’m not sure how that is wrong :P

As for terminology, I find that Western brands tend to use the word “toner” to denote a wipe on lotion in between cleansing and moisturising. I have found benefits in that it seems to balance my skin and then I apply a lotion which is usually the Eastern brand’s middle step which target hydration. Generally just apply your products from light texture to heavier texture so it doesn’t quite matter what they call it :P At least that’s what I do :P

As for Dream Skin, I think it’s similar to Lancome’s Dreamtone which is a skincare-makeup hybrid, like a serum with some colour correcting pigments so skin looks better (based on what I understand and read) but I don’t fancy skincare-makeup hybrids. I like them kept separate so I guess you could say I’m not that keen on Dior’s Dream Skin :P

Juan
January 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

saw this via email last night and wondered how different it is compared to SKII and the La Mer lotion u wrote earlier. damn you do read minds ????

babe, if you don’t mind could you share with us the ingredients list to this lotion? very pricey too, no?

January 20, 2014 at 5:54 pm

LOL! I know right? I’m psychic! ;) I don’t have the ingredient list unfortunately :( Mine was a press sample and didn’t come with a box. Once I have it I’ll update :)

Juan
January 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Guess what, I’ve bought it last Friday! The sample they gave away was a measley 1ml sachet can u beat that? So stingy! Saw a promo pack and couldn’t resist.

Ingredients list free of mineral oil and silicones. All’s good!! You’re so bad to the wallet yet u’re so good for the skin… haha ??

January 20, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Ooh you bought it! I saw the set you put on IG and it was quite a deal. Didn’t know the sample was so measley. How la for people to try?

Sunny
January 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hey Paris, thanks for the review! I can’t remember if I ever used a similar product, but what it is supposed to do makes it sound very promising! I have no idea if it’ll get here at all, but if it does I’ll at least ask for a sample and see how it works. My skin doesn’t tend to be dehydrated though. I wonder if I’ll really see a difference!
Sunny recently blogged…This Winter, I’m Loving Caudalie Nourishing Body Lotion & L’Occitane Rose Heart Ultra Soft CreamMy Profile

January 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I think for now they are concentrating this in the Asian market to see how it does before expanding it. It is quite good but I’m really not sure about the promises of a glow because I didn’t see any LOL If your skin isn’t dehydrated you may not notice a difference but it may help products work better because what they also promise is for your skin to be more active. Now wouldn’t we like that? :)

Kathia January 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Bobbi Brown also debuted a hydration focused treatment lotion under the Extra line in EU/US this winter. Seems to be a bit of an Estee Lauder holdings strategy since BB, La Mer and Estee are owned by the same company. There are lots of similarities in the way they have been launching their premium lines recently. But I guess I can get behind the treatment lotion launches. It is particularly useful to layer under a fine layer of heavy winter moisturiser formulas.

January 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Oh yes! Bobbi Brown has that lotion here too I’m told. I had a bit of a play with it recently and it performs a very similar function and we’ll be seeing one from Clinique too. So, you’re right Kathia – it’s all emanating from the EL stable of brands! I don’t mind this innovation because I do like hydrating/treatment lotions and at the different price points, there’s one to suit everyone :)

Junni January 19, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hi, thank you for the introduction of Micro Essence. Being an Asian, I think a treatment lotion is crucial to me. SK II FTE makes my skin break out as well. I am using Shiseido Ibuki Softening Concentrate which costs RM160 / 75ml, is actually equal to the price of Micro Essence! May consider this product since I am using ANR II.

January 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Gosh Junni now you mention it, the price of the Ibuki concentrate is similar to that of Micro Essence! If you ask me to consider both, I’d pick the EL Micro Essence because the texture is lighter and nicer and it isn’t perfumed :P Ok I’m not helping you, sorry :P

Junni January 20, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Lol I check out the price of the Ibuki because I emptied the first bottle pretty fast! I got the second one in stock. So, will definitely consider buying this EL’s next time. Oops, :)

Valerie June 8, 2014 at 1:56 pm

hey have you tried the L\’oreal mask in lotion? is it any good or comparable to La Mer or Estee Lauder?

June 15, 2014 at 10:46 am

Hi Valeria, afraid I haven’t tried the L’Oreal one. Didn’t even know it existed! LOL!

Panny June 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

thanks for the detailed review:) I see that you said the SKII facial essence broke you out so you like the Estee lauder micro essence better, but say IF it did not break you out, how do you compare these two on other aspects and which one would you pick? for example which one make your face better in appearance? clarity? even skin tone? hydration? balancing? calming? etc.

Thanks in advance :)

July 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Hi Panny, I’m afraid I can’t compare SKII because I used it too long ago when my skin was much more different than it is now, so I won’t be able to measure them against each other I’m afraid.