The Secret’s Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

in New on shelves,Product Reviews,Serum,Treatment

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On August 1, 2013
Last modified:August 2, 2013

Summary:

Do you know how hard it is to keep a secret?

Very, very hard!

I’ve had to sit on this piece of news for over a month and it’s killing me, because in between, I’ve been telling you of my all time favourite skincare and also what I’ve been using in my skincare routine and this one has featured in them both… except I couldn’t tell you because I was bound by an embargo and a confidentiality agreement. Gah!

But no longer!!

estee lauder new anr The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

Some of you may already know this, but for those who don’t, Estee Lauder has reformulated their iconic Advanced Night Repair serum and it is now known as Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II. The change in the name is the II there at the end. This is their latest and what they say, is their most advanced serum ever.

The key advancement here is the use of their ChronoluxCB Technology. Basically, the discovery is that skin cells purifies itself and this process of catabolysis peaks at night. So, when this process happens, skin repairs itself from damage more quickly. As we age, this process slows. So, this all new ANR addresses this by combining the process of purification and synchronizing of night time repair so skin looks better and younger.

All that aside, all you really want to know is this – how is this all new Advanced Night Repair different from its predecessor and if I saw any difference after using it. Well, that’s what I’m here to tell you icon smile The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2 I’ve been using the new ANR for just about a month now since its uber secret hush-hush press launch and that is just about enough time to test its efficacy icon smile The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

First, let’s talk a little about the packaging. I have here the Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex (which is the version from 2010) and the new Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II (2013 version). I wish they’d come up with a new name because it’s confusing!

estee lauder new anr7 The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

The new Estee Lauder ANR 2 (I’ll call it that because the full name is far too long) sports a slightly swankier packaging in the cap. The base remains the same brown square plastic bottle. I doubt they’ll ever change it. It’s far too iconic.

The cap however, sports a lighter gold shade with contrast matte gold bands instead of the brown bands in the previous version. My new ANR 2 is a 30ml bottle vs my existing 50ml bottle so please ignore the size difference. The front label too now sports a more modern design. No logo, just linear lines. To me, it has a modern yet vintage feel to it.

The delivery system is the same, via a pippette with a rubber cap. I find this much more effective than those pump versions that we have been getting, because this just does the job so much better. I’ve been using ANR over the years and I’m glad they haven’t changed the packaging a lot.

estee lauder new anr4 The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

I have been told from way back that I should be using 1 full pump of product each time so I have been faithfully doing so. I’m told this is the recommended amout that ensures your skin gets enough product. I have read of people using just a few drops or just using half a pump and it works for them, also because this potion is pricey; but I prefer to err on the side of caution, and I use one full pump each time. (Psst! Buying at duty free helps a lot!)

However, I only use this at night. Yes, I know my face will not fall off if I use it in the day, but I prefer not to. The other additional benefits to the new ANR 2 are anti-pollution technology to reduce the appearance of damage caused by uv rays and pollution, anti-oxidants to protect and repair damage to skin from daily ravages and hyaluronic acid to keep skin well hydrated.

estee lauder new anr5 The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

Advanced Night Repair Left: Old Right: New

The texture hasn’t changed. Neither has the colour, which is a semi opaque amber liquid. The unmistakable scent that I associate with Advanced Night Repair serum over the years is still there. Nothing has changed outwardly appearance wise.

But you know what? Something has most certainly changed in the formula.

Having used this new ANR 2 for about a month, with no other change to my skincare that you see here, I have noticed that when I use the new ANR 2 my skin actually looks clearer, brighter and more rested when I wake up. This is one of the claims of the new technology and I honestly scoffed at it when I heard of it the first time. But it does honestly make a visible difference.

I was sleeping really lousily for half of the time that I was testing this, but you couldn’t tell from my skin. Yes, you could tell from my dark puffy eye circles, but the rest of my skin just looked good. As if I’d had my full sleep quota. Pissed me off because no one would believe I was having trouble sleeping icon razz The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

estee lauder new anr3 The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

Hydration seems to be good as well which might explain why I can get by without using a hydrating serum but the most visible difference is when I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and see that my skin looks fine. Not blotchy, reduced redness, well rested.

And now my secret’s out icon razz The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2 I’ve been using this serum for years now, and I know I will be for years to come icon smile The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2 If you’re thinking of trying it, or to replenish, please make sure you ask for the new ANR 2 or the 2013 version. I wish they’d come up with a less confusing name!

In a nutshell

The Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II is a reformulation of the iconic Little Brown Bottle serum that Estee Lauder is famous for. For a long time user I did notice differences in my skin after testing the new formula for about a month. My skin looks clearer and rested when I wake up even if I felt like I barely slept, and it feels hydrated. I didn’t expect it to make a difference, but it has and because I’m a long time fan, I will continue using it. I can’t say if everyone will feel the same way, but I love this one and I’m glad they made it even better.

Pros: Light texture absorbs easily into the skin, Skin looks well rested and well hydrated, Redness in skin is reduced, Skin just looks better!

Cons: Pricey

Who will like this: Anyone who already likes using Advanced Night Repair serum, Anyone in the market for a good hydrating and anti-aging serum in one

I’m afraid I don’t have the ingredient list for this new version so I’ll update when I do get it. Probably when I pick up a replacement bottle.

Are you an Estee Lauder ANR fan too?

This was one of the first anti-aging serums I picked up after I’d started working. It used to be just over RM200 for a big bottle back then! I’ve tried the different textures over the years but I think the latest 2 versions are the best in terms of texture. Lightweight and easily absorbed and not sticky like the previous ones. Definitely keeping it in my skincare rotation. I like to buy from duty free whenever I can. Look out for the 75ml, dual pack or even 100ml bottles. Real value for money right there! icon wink The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2 Otherwise, I wait till there are gift vouchers and good GWPs to be had at the local counters for better value for money. I don’t use many EL products but this one is entrenched firmly in my regimen icon smile The Secrets Out! Enjoy A Night to Remember with the brand new Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 2

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II Price: RM350/50ml, RM255/30ml Availability: Estee Lauder counters from August 2013

Disclosure: Featured product was a door gift from a press launch. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Tine August 1, 2013 at 9:04 am

Oooh! I actually have a bottle of this sitting in my beauty cupboard! I haven’t used it yet as I wanted to finish my other serums first but it looks like I’m going to have to dig into this much earlier than anticipated. I’ve heard very good things about the reformulated serum and since I love the original brown bottle, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this will impress just as well if not better. :)

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Aiya Tine, quickly do dig it out and use! :D Honestly, I had to when I got hold of it partly so I’d hit the 1 month mark but partly because I really wanted to know how it fares in comparison to the old. Happily, it fares very well indeed! :D Hope it’ll work for you :D

Jenn August 1, 2013 at 9:47 am

Was at the counter yesterday to redeem my ANR2 sample! Can’t wait to try it! :D Loved the old one to bits so fingers crossed that this one will work even better for myself! :D

I started out using one full pump too (ouch!) because my skin was really dehydrated then, but have now graduated to using only half a pump for similar results. I do use a full pump or two every now and then for an overnight skin boost and wake up to super gorgeous skin!! Hehe! This is really good stuff – I just wished it wasn’t so expensive!! :( Hope the duty free at the airport starts offering this one soon! :D

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Yay! I didn’t know they were doing a sampling exercise but that’s excellent promotion! I remember you liked it so I hope the new one will work as well if not better for you. You know what, I find that as the product level goes down, the product that gets pumped up isn’t as much either. Rather defeats the whole one pump thing eh? Haha! I am quite generous with it I have to admit so maybe I should look after my wallet a little and use half :P

Hani August 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

Gah, the old version I’m still using is almost finish. I plan to buy a new bottle sometimes next month, but looking at the new price….My heart drops a little, to be honest!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I think it’s about RM30 more? Something like that but the bigger bottle is definitely better value for money. On the bright side, your skin will be thanking you ;)

Victoria August 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

I have used samples of this and still have one sample left (keeping it for emergencies) and I totally agree how good this product is. I wake up having a well-rested skin when I use it and it is definitely down to this serum. Pity that it is so expensive. I still mix it with my Kiehl MRC (although the SA at the EL counter gave me a strange look when I told her I do this, hahaha) and my skin looks even better. I am seriously thinking of including this to my skin care regime but would need to budget first.

A bit confused here – the bottle has a dropper but how does that add up to using one full pump or half a pump? Unless you mean squeezing the dropper one time equates to one pump? Thanks for the review!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Sorry, I meant 1 squeeze = 1 pump :P Basically, I use one full dropper’s worth which is very generous so maybe I’m not the best example to follow because your wallet will hate you haha! :P I think it’s funny that you told the SA about the ANR-MRC combi :D She must have been really stunned considering they’re both competing products haha!

kel August 1, 2013 at 10:41 am

U never fail me….I needed to buy ANR to replace my finished bottle..I was waiting for your review on this..some nagging feeling thay u would be reviewing this sooner rather than later..bye..gonna get my AnR 2 NOW!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:36 pm

LOL! I love being psychic Kel! :D But it’s great timing yes? :D Hope the new one will work for you as well as the old one did

SH August 1, 2013 at 10:48 am

No wonder they had big promos for ANR abt 2 months back. Just buy a bottle and get lots of goodies. Clearing stock for the new one.

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Ooh did they? A bit sneaky because then those who bought the old one won’t be buying the new one! But then, they both work well :)

Efrain August 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

Paris I have one question since this it’s too expensive and you recommend to buy it in Duty Free, but I haven’t been in an airport so I don’t know how you get to it. Do you have to have an airplane ticket or I can walk without problem?

(You’re tempting me with expensive products >.< )

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Efrain, it isn’t a lot cheaper in airport duty free, just a little bit, or sometimes there are bigger sizes available. You do need to clear immigration i.e. exit the country to benefit from the duty free promotions. Usually the shops before the immigration aren’t duty free but different airports will vary. Skincare is an investment, I’d have to say but there’s time yet for you once you start working :) It won’t feel so hard on the pocket then :)

Ryann August 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

Has been using a few bottle of ANR and it works really good to my skin and I wonder why there is no moisturizer from ANR series. How nice if there’s one.

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Good question Ryann! EL will just tell you to use one of their other moisturisers I suppose LOL! But honestly, this is one product in the whole brand that actually performs to expectations. I’ve been let down by the others before :)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections August 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

I just got a sample of this and wasn’t going to try it because I HATE the old one-it did nothing and broke me out. But now I will try it if you say it works because you’ve never steered me wrong! I’m kind of excited now haha!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Yikes! I do hope this one won’t break you out Tracy! I have been using many versions with no problems so maybe our skins may differ for this product. But then I suppose it’s worth giving it a go, just remember to stop if it breaks you out again! Would love to hear what you think :)

plue August 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

and the other day I was telling Jenn that you will most probably have a review up soon because you know ANR so well as you have been using it for years, and voila! your blog post on ANR 2 is up! :P

my old bottle have a long way more to go before it hits bottom, and I am just glad that the new formula receives your approval! I hate it when brands reformulate things and then the whole product goes shitty :P Luckily this one isn’t and is actually better!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

LOL!! I’m so predictable, Plue! >.< I have to admit I was a little worried when I heard it was being reformulated because we know just how badly that can go. Happily this one worked well but not to worry if you still have the previous version. It works very well too! :D

jk August 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Since ANR (“original”) is my almost nightly cocktail for the face, ANR 2 is definitely on my list of things to get at the next Isetan promo (i.e with cosmetic vouchers = slightly less pain, though trying real hard to round up to the nearest RMX00/- can be quite a runaway expense). Current bottle down to last 1.5 cm but I have got like 4 sample bottles (minis but with droppers) still stashed away.. Ugh – I wonder how long a sample can keep..

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

You’re right about the Isetan promos! I try not to fall into the hype to get GWPs but the last time I did and ended up with the matching eye cream haha! Actually, samples could be older than we think so I suggest you use up everything first then get the new one. This way, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your ANR samples are still ok :)

MJ August 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Picked this sample recently as my current anr is finishing. Had been a big fan for years. while chatting with the SP, i was thinking if Paris had reviewed it yet … and here you are! I am gonna try 1 full pump tonight, normally i put 3-4 droplets. SP told me to put 1 drop which i find insufficient, i think she meant 1 full pump…

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:52 pm

LOL As I was telling another reader, I’m just too predictable for my own good ;) But yes, definitely use more than 1 drop (Oh my!) and if you can use a full pump, even better! :D

Jennifer August 1, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hahaha, you’d make a very good tight lipped and beautiful spy! I can imagine how hard it must have been to keep this a secret for a month or so especially when it does great wonders for your skin and knowing that there are so many ANR fans out there. It was love at first use between ANR and I. I love the brown bottle, texture and pipette. Makes me feel like a beauty scientist at home. Yeah duty free is a great place to stock up on 100ml travel exclusive edition or twin pack. The price is also very encouraging. I’ll go get the ANR II sample to try. I was quite excited when I saw the teaser for the new ANR.

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Yay! I remember you’re a fan too and yes, it was so darned hard for me to not say anything and to use the old ANR bottle for all the photos! HAHA I hope you’ll like the ANR2 as much as I did – perks up tired skin very nicely, so we look rested (even if we feel like we’ve been runover by a truck)

Sunny August 1, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Hey Paris, thanks for the heads-up! I’ve been wanting to try ANR, and now it looks like I can start with a new and improved version!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I hope you’ll like it Sunny! This one is quite something :)

Ceej August 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm

oh my, I think I’m gonna try this one after I finish my MRC. Paris, you’re making my wallet ache again. Haha.

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I’d make your wallet ache even more when I tell you that ANR + MRC = Majic! ;) Have you tried that combo? I talked about it once here. hehe don’t hate me :P

Jyoan August 1, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Oh! I am SO GLAD I didn’t buy the old ANR! I wanted to buy it just the other day. And if I did, I probably wouldn’t need another bottle for at least a year. hahaha, now, I am going to get this ANR 2 straightaway!

This is so awesome. The ANR 1 worked on me, and I am really looking forward to this.

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Haha! Perfect timing! Yes, make sure you get the new ANR 2 and these things last surprisingly long don’t they?!

Tammy August 1, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Glad to read your view about it. Here in the UK the original have mixed reviews. One very popular was totally AGAINST the original formula but she posted on her blog recently and this has now become her favourite! (latest version of course!)
This will be my must buy for the year!

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ooh I haven’t yet met someone who doesn’t like ANR so this will be interesting. Do you have the link to the blog? I have been using it for many years so for me it’s just more of a relief that it was the same or a little better than the one before. But I know some people have complained about it breaking them out so I suppose as with many products, mileage will vary :) Have you tried it before this Tammy? :)

Tammy August 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Of course!

one of the links! Though there’s no secret she talked about how she disliked it. But this new version has her view changed so I am really interested about it now.

She’s considered a real GURU here in the UK!

Paris B August 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Thank you Tammy! I didn’t realise Beautymouth was Caroline Hirons! I mean, I had known of her and I’d sometimes read her on Twitter but never went to see her blog :P Putting it on my subscribe list now. I know she’s quite the skincare guru in the UK!

Tammy August 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Haha….just like your are quite the skincare guru too!? ;-)

Paris B August 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Aww not of that calibre! :D

Karla August 2, 2013 at 3:57 am

I’ve been using this serum since march, i started using it 2 days before i gave birth to my baby boy and i remember the next morning my doctor and a nurse both told me that my face looked so fresh and well rested!! Im in love with this serum, i also got a few samples of this new formula and i cant wait to tray it

Paris B August 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Wow that’s testament enough Karla! It must be keeping you looking young and rested while taking care of your little one :D

Karla August 2, 2013 at 3:59 am

Sorry i mean try it!!

Lily August 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

I am definitely going to get this. I’ll wait for the Aeon voucher day, spend RM350 get RM50 cash voucher. Time to restock and this new version sounds great :-)

Paris B August 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

Very very smart move! I haven’t shopped in Aeon for erm… aeons! LOL! Isetan will just get me RM30 :P

Lynn August 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Would love to share my experience with ANR.I was a bit disappointed with the old formula.bought the big bottle during my mid 20s and threw it out midway since it did nothing (was trying to heal acne scars/evenout skintone,EL illusionist was more targeted for that but gave me breakouts, so opted for ANR).in fact, i think ANR made it even more red and visible?sigh.
come 2013, in my early 30s, older, but still battling with acne and scarring *double sigh*. went to EL counter to restock my ever trusted Hydrationist moisturizing lotion, got a few samples of the new ANR formula, tried it for a couple of days. no funny thing/purging whatsoever, and decided to get the 30ml bottle. It’s been almost 3weeks, but i must say, best decision ever!!!pimples dry faster (who would’ve thought?), face looks brighter and plumper in the morning, smoother skin, and i think it does slowly lightens the scars. My skin was red and blotchy before, now it has kinda calmed down a bit.
Like you Paris, i dont use many EL products, but i think this is gonna be a staple in my PM routine for now :)

Paris B August 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi Lynn, thank you so much for sharing your experience! I’m sorry you had a poor experience initially but glad the new one works better for you :) I find that overnight transformation to the skin quite impressive too! :D

Ting August 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I am definitely going to get this when the midnight recovery concentrate runs out! :)

Paris B August 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm

In this case, I think the ANR2 trumps MRC, sorry Kiehl’s!

Sam Still Reading August 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I think I will change to this when I’ve finished my EL Idealist. Have only heard good things! Plus, I really like the idea of anything that makes me look better on not much sleep…

Paris B August 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It’s quite different from Idealist but a good upgrade. I used to use Idealist back in the day before they changed the formula. I’ve been told that it has improved a lot since the days when it felt like pure silicone going on :P

Meghann August 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hi Paris,
How do you compare the EL ANR II to CD Capture Totale One Essential Serum?

Paris B August 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

They serve 2 different purposes, Meghann. The EL ANR 2 is an anti-aging serum while the Dior One Essential is a pre-serum that you use to prep your skin to receive the rest of your skincare products. So you would use the One Essential first, then ANR2 if you’re so minded to use both. They aren’t replaceable for each other as they are different.

Philippe August 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I so need to start this bottle but I’m still emptying my old one.. Can’t have 5 bottles of serum open at the same time or can I?

Paris B August 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Hmm, I’d say it’s debatable ;) But I do think you’d like this one very much! ;)