Last year, I shared some of the skincare I was using on a daily basis and 2 years ago, I shared my day and night skincare routine. I thoroughly enjoyed how everyone chipped in to share all of your day and night routines too! I thought it would be interesting to revisit it annually and see how far or not we have come and whether my and your routine have been working for you.
Towards the end of 2012, and in early 2013 my skin went crazy. I had a lot of problems with breakouts and for some reason, everything went out of control. I didn’t even change my skincare which really puzzled me. What I did then was to pare back my skincare to the bare minimum – cleanse, tone and moisturise. Slowly, I got things under control and then, I started getting back into a routine.
It might interest you to know that for the most part, I have been using this range of skincare day and night for at least 6 months now in various combinations and I’ve had the best skin that I’ve ever had in all my years *touchwood*! Granted, it’s not flawless nor perfect, but it’s the best I’ve ever had, I can walk out without makeup if I wanted to (imperfections and all) and that makes me very happy.
So here is my present skincare routine and some quick notes on what I might change or switch out as I go along. I can’t say I’ll be using this same routine in another 6 months, but who knows eh? Do share your routine too! Has it changed from a year ago? Is your skin doing better now than it was 6 or 12 months ago?
Skincare routine – Day
My day routine is as simple today as it was 2 years ago. The only thing that has changed are the products I use. For some reason, I’ve found that everything I’m using now is keeping my skin clear and treating it better than it has ever been. Perhaps its the combination? I can’t tell, but if it works, stick with it!
- Cleanse – Antipodes Juliet Skin Brightening Gel Cleanser – I like this one. It’s very gentle on my skin and very refreshing. I tested it, liked it and then set it aside. But then, I started using it consistently and it seems to help my skin stay clear. Its not drying at all and it lasts ages! I have a selection of face washes to pick from but I pick up this one every morning. I sense a repurchase coming on when the time comes.
- Tone – Estee Lauder Nutritious Radiant Vitality Energy Lotion Fresh Moist – Ever since I rediscovered the benefits of using a toner, I have kept one in rotation but this one has made me sit up for the first time, and notice how well it works on my skin. I wipe a moistened cotton pad over my face and it refreshes my skin and seems to infuse it with a layer of moisture and awakens my skin, leaving it feeling and looking more radiant. Is it just this toner? I don’t know. All I know is that since I added it to my routine, I’ve had better looking skin than before. I’m down to the last few ml and I will be trying out other lotions, but there is a chance I might keep a bottle of this on standby.
- Serum – Diorsnow D-NA Control White Reveal Day Essence – I do think that this, together with the Anti Spot Serum does keep my skin tone clearer and more even, but freckles and pigmentation are still there in their glory. I am presently using this purely to finish it up and then move on to a hydrating serum. No plans to repurchase.
- Serum – Diorsnow Anti-Spot Serum – Ditto what I said above. I only use this one on my cheeks where the pigmentation is worst, but its still there. I feel like my skin texture has improved somewhat but I can’t tell if its this serum or just overall care that is sparking this change. I have no plans to repurchase this either and am only using to finish it up. Its taking a surprisingly long time!
- Moisturise – Origins Make A Difference Plus+ and Ginzing moisturiser – I just introduced the Ginzing moisturiser into my routine about a month ago and I’m liking it so much I decided to include it here. I was previously using the Make A Difference Plus+ for the past 3 months and it definitely made a difference in my skin for the day. Ginzing is lighter but they both work well as day moisturisers and I like how far they go! Barely making a dent in either pot although I can forsee myself finishing up the Make A Difference Plus+. My skin loves it and it has made a difference!
- Sunscreen – Shiseido Perfect UV SPF50 – This is my sunscreen and makeup primer in one. Best thing ever. No plans to replace this in my routine. Ever!
Skincare routine – Night
You could say the basics of my skincare routine doesn’t change. I always have in there a cleanser, toner, serum and moisturiser. At night, I include a makeup remover. In the past 2 years, my makeup remover was cleansing oil but things have changed somewhat.
- Eye makeup remover – Face of Australia Gentle Makeup Remover – I’m about halfway through this one and it’s a very nice, very gentle makeup remover. Face of Australia is from Australia as you might expect, and I think it’s a good and affordable product. It is a bi-phase makeup remover and does a good clean job so I have absolutely no complaints! Well, except for the fact its not available here in Malaysia 😛
- Face makeup remover – Bioderma Sensibio Micelle Solution – This is perhaps the biggest change in my routine in the past 2 years. I now eschew cleansing oils as I find them too drying on my combination-dry skin and I’ve found that micellar cleansing waters work better for me. Might this be the reason for my clearer, less clogged skin? I don’t know. Perhaps it is, perhaps its a whole combination of everything else. This one is a mainstay simply because I like it!
- Cleanse – Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Purifying Gel – 2 years ago, I told you this was my bathroom staple. It’s still holding onto its title. No change there. You may notice I use different cleansers in the day and night. Its by choice for a couple of reasons. I use a more gentle cleanser in the morning when my skin isn’t at all dirty after a night’s sleep. I use something a little more clarifying in the evening to remove all the day’s dirt from my skin. So, if I come across a gentle face cleanser, I slot it into my day routine and I keep something a little stronger for the evening. So far, this is the only one I ever want to use so the point is moot 😛
- Tone – Estee Lauder Nutritious Radiant Vitality Energy Lotion – Back to a quick wipe of this lotion all over to refresh my skin as I did in the morning.
- Serum – Diorsnow Anti-Spot Serum – Again, another item I use in the morning that I repeat at night. The primary reason is to use it up because I don’t see my skin getting any clearer and whiter 😛
- Anti-Aging Serum – Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair – Brown bottle of goodness all over! I’ve gone back to using this one because my skin just seems better with it than without.
- Additional oil – Estee Lauder Nutritious Essence Oil – I actually blend this with No. 8 so it shouldn’t sit on its own. At one time, I was using this first and then a moisturiser blended with the oil but I wanted to cut back on the items I use so I cut out the extra step.
- Moisturise – Dior Capture Totale Night Cream – I end my evening routine with a rich thick layer of this lovely night cream blended with 2-3 drops of the EL Nutritious oil. I used to blend it with Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate but I found that the Nutritious Oil seems to work better with the cream because my skin looked better. I blend the oil because the cream itself is quite thick. Adding a couple of drops of oil thins out the texture and seems to make my skin more supple. On its own, this cream is amazing. If I have to attribute the turning point of my skin it will be this cream. My best investment so far!
If my skin gets clogged or starts to breakout, I sometimes use 2 moisturisers, using a La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo cream as my moisturiser for the problem areas until it gets better.
Once or twice a week, I slap on a sheet mask to cool my skin down and to boost hydration. When my skin feels a little dehydrated, I pat on a little Dr. Lewinns Line Smoothing Complex Super Hydrator and it immediately feels better. I don’t use a physical scrub anymore. My skin now finds it too harsh so if I feel the need to exfoliate, I use the Impress Brightener or Diorsnow Wipe Off Gel Exfoliator but rarely. I somehow feel that using a cotton pad with a toner and to remove my makeup somehow already helps exfoliate my skin somewhat and I don’t feel the need for an additional exfoliator anymore. Strange I know, but it somehow works for me.
Oh and eye cream? Erm… yeah I’m horrible at remembering to use it so when I do, it’s still the EL Advanced Night Repair eye cream. Nothing special but it seems to work well enough for me.
It seems like I use a lot but in actual fact, I’ve realised that I’ve streamlined my skincare a lot from the past. I sometimes switch products in and out as I have in the past 6 months, but they are usually the serums that I play about with. Sometimes its a whitening serum, sometimes its a hydrating serum; but in the main, these have been my products of choice. You may notice that some are staples and I may have identified a couple more that will make their way into that list of staples. You may also notice that there is no hydrating serum in there this time around, which puzzles me as much as it puzzles you! 😛
Care to share your own day and night skincare routine? Has it changed from the past year or two?
Have you found a skincare routine that works for you? I’ve also realised that being faithful and sticking out a skincare regimen for at least 3-4 months at a stretch is paying dividends for me! Looks like my skincare hopping days are over! I wonder what that’ll bode for the blog LOL 😛