Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

in Challenges,Cheap and Good?,Nails,Product Reviews

’tis the season to be sparkly!

Ok I know its the festive season and most of the time, festive season = red nails. But I think a sparkly black polish doesn’t look out of place on nails either! Dior showed us they thought so too by releasing a black or blackened based nail polish – Diva with their Grand Bal Christmas collection.

bridalveil diva Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

Well, I’ve found a potentially more sparkly black based alternative to Diva, if that appeals more to the inner tinsel and glitter lover in you icon biggrin Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish Its also a little more affordable although it does not come in as gorgeous packaging. But I personally prefer how it looks on nails icon biggrin Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

I present to you a save and splurge edition of sparkly black nails!

Splurge: Diorific Diva Nail Polish – RM79 (review here)

I’d reviewed this one previously where I showed you the most darling nail polish packaging ever. Perfect for gift giving this festive season, although I wasn’t terribly thrilled with the formula.

As a black based nail polish, its very pretty and in the bottle the golden shimmer glints and glistens under the light. But once it goes on nails, it sort of loses that shimmer and shine. Its a polish that I found looks better in the bottle than it does on nails, which is a right pity.

bridalveil diva3 Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

Save: A-England Bridal Veil - £9 (RM45)

Well, guess who found a save option? icon biggrin Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish I haven’t reviewed this one primarily because I haven’t been using nail polish a lot lately. But I adore the beautiful holographic polishes of A-England, a little niche nail polish brand I’d raved about a LOT here on MWS here, here, here and here icon biggrin Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

Bridal Veil is part of the Legends collection inspired by St. George and the colour is a holographic black. The silver multicoloured shimmer is obvious on the nail, the colour is insanely easy to apply even for this nail polish klutz and it lasts well enough with a basic top coat.

I’ve put them side by side and you can see quite clearly how much more blingy the A-England is next to the Dior one.

bridalveil diva2 Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

Granted, you’d probably want Diorific Diva for the adorable packaging, but for something which is more festive, to my eye, I’d go for the A-England Bridal Veil. The save option wins for me icon smile Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

Do you do sparkly nails for the festive season? How about black sparkly nails?

I haven’t done my nails in ages. When I did,  I wore it all around the house doing housework so by the end of the day, tip wear was very obvious, especially on a black base. So, I took it off! Still, if I were to do my nails this year, I’m definitely going for A-England polishes. Still loving them  after all this time icon biggrin Save and Splurge: Sparkly Black Nail Polish

A-England Bridal Veil Price: £9 (RM45) Availability: A-England website (free worldwide shipping) Limited Edition: No | Dior Diorific Diva Nail Polish Price: RM79 Availability: Dior counters Limited Edition: Yes, Grand Bal Christmas 2012 collection

Save and Splurge is where I show you similar items by different brands that I have tried. They may not work quite the same way, but it’ll offer you options for your wallet for a similar effect/product. Do note however, that it is based on products I have tried, so whilst there are many save and splurge options out there, these are my views and choices. You can find more under the category of Challenges.

LeGeeque December 19, 2012 at 8:47 am

Eeek! I picked up my A-England last night too! But yes, in my books, A-England trumps Dior nail polishes anytime. Not just in terms of price, but in terms of quality and wearability too!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yay for A-England! Still the only nail polish I’d ever voluntarily purchase. I’m actually eyeing some of their new colours! :P

Becca December 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh wow–A-England it is, then!! :D I’ve been hearing about this brand EVERYWHERE lately and I have to say, I’ve never had such intense lemmings for nail polish before!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yes! Its not expensive and the quality of A-England polishes are sublime. If this nail klutz can work these, anyone can! :D

Lily December 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

I have yet to try A-England nail polishes! Must resist for 2 months. I’m on a ban… and since I’m realistic, it’s only for 2 months. LOL!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

Haha did some major damage while on holiday? ;) 2 month’s isn’t very long and then you can splurge again :D A-England polishes are quite simply the best I’ve ever used which isn’t saying a lot since I don’t wear polish but when I do, its the best :D

Sunny December 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

I do sparkling nails all the time, but I don’t have a sparkling black yet! I love both brands, but I’d choose Bridal Veil over Diva. It’s just so much MORE sparkling!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:11 am

YES! Bridal Veil is so gorgeous it made the Dior Diva look so flat and boring next to it! Sometimes, these big brands don’t quite get it right eh? ;) Whats your favourite sparkly nail polish, Sunny?

Sunny December 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

For the moment it’ll have to be a england Beauty Never Fails! It’s a blackened green with gold shimmer that comes to life on the nails! I had always wanted something from a england, and when I saw that (and the revamped version of Holy Grail) I knew they had to be my first!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Eeps! I want that one too! I saw some swatches and its gorgeous. I didn’t like the original Holy Grail but the new one looks amazing. Oh look at me. I hardly even wear polish these days! LOL!

Issa December 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

I agree! The A-England looks better! Very nice glittery shade :)

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

It sure is! So easy to get lost in its depths hehe

plue December 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

yay for A-England! love them for the beautiful colours, wearability and ease of use!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Me too! Happy to have discovered them coz they’re the only polishes I’d voluntarily use :D

lemon December 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

I do own a few A-England polish, like the old Holy Grail, Merlin, Lady of the Lake and Tristam. I really like Lady of the Lake, its a little bit of grayish lilac. Holy grail and merlin are sparkly for this festive season. I understand there are 3-free, but its not written on their webpage.

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

You picked gorgeous colours there, Lemon! I picked up the whole Legends collection but am not happy with Order of the Garter that doesn’t seem to work as well as the others. I’m eyeing a couple of their new shades too! I always thought they were 3-free but you’re right, they don’t advertise the fact.

Tracy December 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

I love Bridal Veil! It is rather festive you are right! I’ll have to pull it out of hiding haha!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Perfect unconventional festive nail! You’ll stand out from the seas of reds :D

lemon December 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

Sorry, that is Princess Tears instead of Lady of The Lake…

xin December 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

just remembered that i bought a few bottles of a-England which I have yet to use. Thinking to do a nail art but i need a new art brush!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I saw some gorgeous stamping nail art using A-England polishes. Maybe try that? :D

Jerine December 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

I love A England!!!! But it’s so hard to get in Malaysia :(

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Haha I believe they are only sold online everywhere :) I love that they have free worldwide shipping as standard and its relatively quick. So few companies do that!

Sze Ling December 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I actually like the A-England one more. :D Haven’t found a black that I really like, but this one looks like it might make the list. Woot! Another item to add to my 2013 to-buy list. Haha.

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I’m guessing that 2013 to-buy list is now a mile long? ;) BTW I picked up the Nars Tinted Moisturiser and can I just say that I love it?! I DO! :D

Sze Ling December 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Everything just get pushed to 2013. LOL. So it’s around there. :P

Yay! Another convert. ;) It’s lovely isn’t it.
Now I have to find another target to convert.

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm

LOL You definitely converted me. Very glad I went for the tinted moisturiser instead of the Sheer Glow :D

Jyoan December 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I think I prefer the Dior one that is more glossy. But both look so good quality. =D

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Actually in real life, the A-England is glossier, but the Dior one is more intensely dark so its a matter of preference :D

Nikki December 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ve always LOVE the look of sparkly nails but I could never get myself to apply them as it is super difficult for me to remove them!!!! I guess I’ve been using those gentle nail polish remover which gave me the difficult time, but yeah, i wish they can come up with something similar that can be removed easily :D

Great Save and Splurge, both brands look alike!

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Like you I detest glitter nail polish because removal is horrible! So I go for lovely holos like the ones from A-England. No pesky glitter to get rid of. Seriously, its a piece of cake. Hope you get to try it soon ;)

Amanda December 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I like A-England better. No dark sparkly polish for me this festive seasons. I still love red sparkly ones! :D

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Red sparkly polish is so festive! In fact, red anything is so festive :D

Marla December 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I wonder where they sell this in the states. I have never seen this brand before.- england

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I believe its only sold online. I’m not sure about any online stores in the States that sell it but the website I’ve linked to ships internationally for free! Absolutely worth trying out a bottle… or 2 or maybe 3 LOL!

bita December 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm

hi Paris. I want to ask you a question, sorry it’s not related to your post, and I know you write about this stuff before, but I want to know what you think as an expert about this deal and if you think it’s original.Thanks :)

Paris B December 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Hey Bita, I’m no expert :) I took a look at the deal in question and the only thing I’d note is that they are all trial/sample sizes. Personally I’d find it expensive to pay that much for samples. However I can’t say if they are authentic. All I’d say is that I do know that there is a lot of fake SK2 out there (I’ve seen them) but they do tend to come in full sizes. So, no comment but I personally just wouldn’t risk it ;)

bita December 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thanks alot for your response Paris. I appreciate it :)

Littlegooseberry December 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

Funny cause Dior actually came out with a black with glitter like Diva a while ago.
Im actually wearing it now haha

Paris B December 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Oh I didn’t know that! Thanks for the info :) Is the texture better than that of Diva? I find Diva not sparkly enough on nail even if it looks pretty in the bottle.

littlegooseberry December 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm

unfortunately its pretty much the same. I also noticed that i needed 3 coats for it to be fully opaque….

Ena December 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hope this is not out of place, but I picked up a black nail polish from Sasa and it’s also very sparkly and only costed me less than RM 10 !

Paris B December 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Not out of place, Ena :) Thanks for sharing your find! I usually only compare what I already have so its always helpful to know what else is out there ;)

Cait Taylor December 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Great post! I’m an up and coming MUA and model. I recently started my own blog http://caiteuk.blogspot.co.nz I’d love for you to check it out. I’m doing a giveaway worth US $85 at the moment as a special little Christmas treat for my followers, head on over to my blog to find out how to be in the draw :) it’s super easy! Much love – Cait xx

Dulsanea December 22, 2012 at 5:35 am

Believe it or not I have not tried black sparkle nail polish yet! I am so hard on my nails. that a dark color would be a good thing :)

Paris B December 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m terribly with my nails too so I hardly even wear polish :D But a black sparkly one is very pretty and surprising :) Try it perhaps? ;)