Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

in BB Cream,Blush,Cheap and Good?,Concealer,Eyeliner,Eyeshadow,Lipstick,Makeup,Mascara,Nails,Toner/Lotion

budget buy rm50 Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

RM50, depending on how you look a it, can take you far (I could eat for a week on RM50!) or it isn’t very much. RM50 at today’s exchange rate is roughly S$20, £10,  US$16 or €13. Yeah, once we do the math, it looks pretty pathetic LOL! icon razz Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

Yet, RM50 can buy me some of my favourite beauty items or pick me ups, with change to boot! I know I talk a lot about department store brands and pricier (ok, expensive!) products on my blog. What can I say? Its a personal preference! icon wink Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50 But there are some affordable budget buys that I like too, and I thought I’d share them with you. I think RM50 is a nice budget friendly amount. Not hard on the wallet for most, and if you have a small budget or are a student it should be a good threshold.

I will pick up a group of items from time to time to tell you about the budget items I like that you could quite easily pick up without hurting your wallet too much. All items featured will cost RM50 or under.  Take a look and chip in if you think there’s a budget buy I should be taking a look at icon smile Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

My first 10 was easy to pick out. I literally picked up everything from my dresser or stash within 5 minutes of thinking up this idea. In fact, there was more than 10 items so you can expect the second installment to come up in the near future icon smile Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

budget buys Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

1. Silkygirl QuikClean Gentle nail polish remover(RM7.90) – it claims to be acetone free and it has that terrible smell that nail polish removers have but it does a very quick job at cleaning off polish. My nails don’t feel too dry thereafter either. It must be said that I don’t paint my nails often and when I do, this does a good job at clean up.
  2. Silkygirl Blushing Trio blush (RM29.90) (review) – Cute to look at, and nice to use. Comes in 3 easy to use shades.
  3. L’Oreal Touche Magique illuminating concealer pen (RM19.90) (review) – It isn’t the best but it does a fair enough job at the price. One of my first concealers and one I still use now and again. Problem is that it always gets hard to find! Look in the bottom shelf of the L’Oreal display counter. They always store it there out of sight. I never quite understood why.
  4. 3M Nexcare Acne patch (RM14.90 for the bigger pack) (review) – Excellent stuff for shrinking painful cystic acne or for getting acne to go away after you’ve popped your spot. The person who invented this deserves some form of award.
  5. Maybelline The Falsies mascara (RM42.90) (review) – I like this for a natural yet volumized lash effect. Its not the cheapest mascara in the pharmacy but it does a good job on my lashes.
  6. Canmake Lasting Creamy Liner Pencil (RM38.90) (review) – I reviewed it in brown but I eventually picked one up in black. Its not a product you hear of often but it works well for lining and it stays incredibly long on my lash line. Enough to give my Guerlain Kohl liner a bit of competition.
  7. Revlon Colorburst Lipsticks (RM39) (review) – I like the creamy texture of these lipsticks and the good opaque colour you get with a nice light texture on lips. My favourite that I wear most often is True Red featured here and here.
  8. Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion (RM40.90) (review) – I don’t think this needs introduction. Out of the Hada Labo range of products, it is only one of two I still voluntarily go back to. The other is the sunscreen that I used quite a lot of once but have not for a while.
  9. Garnier BB Cream Light (RM19.90) (review) – My favourite BB cream of them all. If I never used another BB cream, this is the one I would voluntarily purchase and use over and over. The texture is light, there’s a nice brightening effect, it is comfortable on my skin and overall, is just perfect. On good skin days I sometimes wear this on a workday, with some powder and concealer. On weekends, I sometimes just wear this alone.
  10. Inglot eyeshadows (RM30/eyeshadow) (review) – When I reviewed them a year ago, they were RM28 each which I thought very affordable. They’re now RM30 each (not RM36 as I said before). I do think the Inglot shadows are of better quality and colour compared to MAC – just sayin’. A pan of shadow is affordable and the colours are good and pigmented. Not sure I’d get anymore myself but you can pick one up a month if you like and not feel it too much.

Are you in agreement with any of my budget beauty choices? Do you have beauty budget buys under RM50 that you’d like to share or that you think I might take a look at next time?

You could pick up a couple of them and still get change from your RM50 or better yet, if they are on sale, you could even pick up more! I’ll collate another set and post another post some other time icon smile Budget Beauty: 10 Things I love that cost under RM50

xx Paris B

All prices are correct as at time of writing. Prices may fluctuate. All products listed can be purchased at most major pharmacies, supermarkets or Sasa stores

Jenn August 1, 2012 at 8:55 am

Eh I’m also loving some of your choices, namely the Silkygirl nail polish remover, the 3M patches and the Hada Labo lotion! :) Have you tried the Neutrogena sheet masks before? They are RM49.90 – RM59.90 per box at retail but they go on sale often… and I LOVE them to bits! :D

I must try out that Garnier BB cream… been hearing so many good things about it! :D

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I used to use Neutrogena masks a long time ago Jenn – you just reminded me of them LOL! They weren’t bad I remember but I just forgot about them because I still have LOADS of sheet masks. I should do a mask a day :P

dom August 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

Great choices, especially the Inglot e/s. I think they’re still RM30/singles, RM36 for the rainbows – I could be wrong, so I need to check it out. My personal favorites under RM50 are Hada Labo’s AHA/BHA cleanser, Johnson & Johnson’s baby shower gels, and prescription Rectanyl/Retin-A, which I purchase at RM30+. Probably doesn’t count as a beauty item but it does a mad good job on zits. Oh and the brushes I bought from Lash Bar, which aren’t half bad.

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Dom, I corrected them – singles are RM30 and gotta admit they are very good quality for the price :)

Hanny Daforcena August 1, 2012 at 9:02 am

The Inglot singles are now RM 36? *cries in despair* I thought they were RM 30?

My personal faves under RM 50:
Rimmel lipsticks
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation (when on offer)
Maybelline’s Volum’Express mascaras
Generic 10 pair per box “handmade” falsies found in the Lash Bar. I got my first box at RM 10, am planning to get more “natural” ones at RM 20ish.

Honey August 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

Where is Lash Bar?

Hanny Daforcena August 1, 2012 at 9:25 am

The top floor of Sunway Pyramid in Asian Avenue. There’s a stall in MidValley near Ireland Potato. Does anyone know anywhere else?

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Mmm I couldn’t get past the scent of Rimmel lipsticks but they are otherwise very nice! p/s I made a mistake – the single Inglot shadows are still RM30 :)

Tine August 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

Great choices! Yay on the Garnier BB cream. Best I’ve tried so far. I’m keen on trying the Silkygirl blush now. Will add that to my to-buy list when I’m back :)

RM50 can stretch a lot in terms of good kopitiam food, but I find it very little when it comes to buying groceries. Whenever I go grocery-shopping with Mum, RM50 is never enough. Standard of living sure is increasing in Malaysia :(

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Yes! I’m not sure if its LE but I’m always happy to pick one up for you ;) I think for groceries it depends on what one is shopping for. I can feed myself and maybe 1 other person on RM50 worth of fresh food discounting things like cookies and soap powder or milo LOL Its actually cheaper to buy and cook than to eat out (and much healthier!)

HapaGirl August 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love those 3M patches! They aren’t available in the US so I’ve stocked up on several boxes here in Malaysia. I’ve got to say that I’m also impressed with cheapie drugstore products like Nixoderm for blemishes, the Garnier BB cream you mentioned (the US version is total rubbish), and the Himalaya Naturals neem face pack. Great post, Paris!

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yay for the 3M patches! I don’t know if the US Garnier BB Cream is the same as the Europe one but if it is, yes its totally rubbish :P Oh you reminded me about the Himalaya Naturals neem pack too! I shall have to review that soon :D

Lily August 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

My favourite must be the mascara! Another you might want to try (or already tried) is the Biore makeup remover range. They are all awesome and wallet friendly!

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the Biore rec Lily – will take a look!

Stacey August 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

it’s getting harder & harder to find beauty products for less than SGD20 in the drugstores nowadays, even mascaras are SGD20++, for example Majolica Majorca’s lash king is SGD24.50.

I think Maybelline’s BB cream and Hypersharp eyeliner are good, and they are around SGD19++. I really like the eyeliner.

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Erm that’s pretty pricey for the Maybelline BB Cream and Hypersharp liner (both of which I like too!) because they are about RM20 or so here :O Prices sure are high in SGD

Alex August 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

Would you believe that I actually went out and grabbed a tube of Garnier’s BB Cream right after reading this post? And it was on sale, only RM15.90, yahoo! Fingers crossed it’d work as well as for me too!

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Eeps! I do hope it works for you although at RM15.90 (I need a backup, thanks!) it won’t be too expensive a mistake if it doesn’t ;) Let me know if it works!

Alex August 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Loving it so far, though a friend said it makes her look like a corpse lol! There’s no one BB cream/foundation/lipstick fits all. I think we just has to experiment until one finds a makeup that suits us. I would like to add one item to your list of 10-things-under-RM50: the Canmake cream blush. Pretty pricey at RM43++ but it sweeps on smoothly and has a youthful pink glow (the operative word being youthful hehe).

Paris B August 5, 2012 at 12:09 am

Good to know it works for you :) I love the Canmake cream blushes too. I’m not into cream blush but it’s the only one I’d use :)

Sharon August 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

Great choices for under RM50 products there.

My personal faves are:
1) Biore Cleansing Oil
2) Biore Eye & Lip Makeup Remover
3) NYX Sheer Gloss (not sheer at all but doesn’t taste waxy or disgusting)
4) J&J PH5.5 Shower Gel

I could go on and on LOL. Love all the cheap stuff which works. :D

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Good choices Sharon :) I love cheap stuff that work too!

Jyoan August 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Where do you get Inglot in Malaysia? We don’t have it yet. T_T

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm

There is an Inglot counter in JB I believe. Here in KL its at MidValley Megamall and Sunway Pyramid :)

Sylvia August 21, 2012 at 12:07 am

I passed by Inglot several times and dare not walk in. It looks too posh for my wallet. Anyone been to Sunway piramid branch? Am asking to see if the salesgirls will follow you around or are we left to browse on our own?

Paris B August 26, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I haven’t been to the Sunway one for a while (only been once!) but the items for the most part aren’t too expensive and even if the sales people approach, you could always tell them that you’re just looking :)

LeGeeque August 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oooh! I’ll say the Biore facial cleansing oil. I think it wasn’t too expensive when I bought it. It’s not the best but it’s really close to what some of the high end oils do. Yay for cheapies but goodies!

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Oh yes loads of people love the Biore cleansing oil and its definitely under RM50 but it breaks me out something awful :(

xin August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm

my favorite from your stash is the 3M acne patch!

and true that i can get quite some items from the pharmacy with just rm50. my favorite is also…maybeline mascara and biore makeup remover :D

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Yay for great minds and for loving the 3M patch!

Becca August 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ooh Paris–I just caught up on your review of that Nexcare patch for acne and I WANT!!! I don’t understand at all how it’s supposed to work–and honestly, I don’t care, as long as it actually works! :P Wish we had these here

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I don’t understand how it works either but it does and that’s all that matters. I think you can find it on ebay or on Sasa.com :D

casey23 August 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Garnier bb cream is RM19.90 and Maybelline mascara is RM42 ?? Oh my god, now I got really curious about money conversion, RM1 is equal to how many dollars Paris?

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Erm at today’s exchange rate, RM1 is about US0.32

germs August 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

oooh Inglot is available in Malaysia! seems like i’ve gotta make a trip when i reach KL in september :D and i keep forgetting to buy the canmake liner whenever there’s 20% off at Watsons :p agree with your Revlon choice, they make excellent lippies! there’s not a lot we can buy in Singapore with S$20 – the hada labo lotion costs around S$23.

for other budget buys, i’m not sure if nyx is available in Malaysia, but i recently discovered their matte lip creams and they’re great for the price of around S$12 (barring a very strong vanilla scent). also, topshop makeup products aren’t strictly drugstore, but i’m liking their lip marker and blusher (both under S$20) :)

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yep, its been around for about a year :) You can find them at MidValley Megamall now if you’ll be in KL :) I guess for your version of a budget buy you might have to do a S$50 instead because it won’t be fair to be basing it on $20 LOL That said, we can get quite a lot of stuff here for $20 huh? ;) We dont’ get NYX here unless we buy through online retailers (which I discounted because I wanted something easy to find in store) and thanks for reminding me about Topshop! I should take a look at their stuff.

Ling August 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Great budget beauty list. I think we are on similar blog wavelengths or something… because I was thinking of creating a budget beauty post yesterday…and had a few similar items like Garnier BB and Hada Labo…and then I was thinking how much I love Hada Labo lotion & started using it again a couple of days ago to alleviate a dry patch….and then there was time we were trialling that Olay cream…and…I am rambling!!!! Sorry! :P

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Haha blog twins? :D Do do a list too Ling. Its always nice to know of good stuff to buy from pharmacies. I love shopping at pharmacies and maybe if I go down to Australia, I can bring your list along :D

Ting August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I am loving revlon’s lash grow mascara! It does make my lower lashes seem thicker after using for awhile. :)

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Ooh I love Grow Lash too – I didn’t notice any lengthening but its a very nice mascara that gives me nice fluttery lashes :)

Mira August 2, 2012 at 12:26 am

There are some gems in the pharmacy. My budget beauty consists of St Ives face scrub, bio-essence face cleanser, Maybelline make-up remover, etc. I don’t exactly remember the prices, but they are under RM50.

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your budget buy choices Mira! I used to use the St. Ives scrub too – one of the first scrubs I ever used and it really helped my skin because I Was using the medicated one with the salycilic acid. Good stuff!

Beauty Box August 2, 2012 at 1:36 am

Love this post…You can get pretty decent products for RM50 ;-) I think the best bang for your buck would be an Inglot eyeshadow…I’m really surprised you have good things to say about the much maligned Garnier BB Cream. Either the Asia edition is diff from the Western one or it really depends on skin type…

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oh yes! The Garnier BB Cream is really good, for me anyway. The Asian and European versions are different though. I tried the European version and it really sucks – heavy, oily and poor colour match (for me). I haven’t found the words to post a review just that LOL!

Marina(Makeup4all) August 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I also love Revlon’s lipstick and Inglot’s eye shadows.

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Good taste, Marina! I got interested in Inglot thanks to you :)

Memoiselle August 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Yay to this post :) I agree with you on the Maybelline falsies, Revlon Colorburst! They are great and quality wise, they could have the same with those eye end brand. I have heard a lot about inglot eyeshadow but they aren’t available in Singapore so I need to cross to JB to buy :( Haven’t got the chance to do that.

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Yep it’s in JB and I hope you get to check it out soon.i think you’ll like the shadows. The quality is impressive.

Brigita Amanda August 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I’m loving Revlon Colorburst or lipbutter that cost me Rp. 70.000 (RM25 or less during promotion) and the falsies as well.
Seems like Revlon dan Maybelline is cheaper in Indonesia, the falsies only cost about RM23 (with no promotion, during promotion can be as low as RM15) ;)

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm

It certainly does seem that way, Brigita! I guess I know what to pick up if I visit Indonesia in future! :)

Cindy Tong August 3, 2012 at 1:47 am

how good is the maybeline mascara??does it smudge when your eyes area become oily??

Paris B August 4, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Impersonally like it. The review is in the link if you’re interested. I don’t have oily lids so it doesn’t smudge. Few eye products do. Guess I’m lucky

Cindy Tong August 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm

ermm…i still luv lancome mascara as it reli curl my lashes but its a bit pricy..

Paris B August 5, 2012 at 12:17 am

Ah lucky me then because I don’t like any lancôme mascara – too heavy for my lashes :)

Cindy Tong August 5, 2012 at 12:32 am

what about majorlica mascara?any good??btw i jus bought max factor liner…gonna try it on mon…

Paris B August 5, 2012 at 12:36 am

This might explain why I don’t use Majolica Majorca :)

Jennifer August 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

Hi Paris. I like items 2 and 8. Currently I am using them and very happy with my economical purchases. Thanks to your good review for a simple product, I’ve decided to purchase the Silkygirl blush and just tried to apply it yesterday. Loved it to bits though I do think that my application was not balanced – it looked like one side is more pink than the other side. Practise makes perfect :)

I want to try the acne patch! Currently I am battling those acne nuisance around my jaw area – they’re ugly and painful :(

My other favourite less than RM50 items are Neutrogena Deep Clean daily scrub, Hada Labo UV milk, Biore UV Perfect face milk (superb in oil control!), L’oreal Anti Frizz hair serum and Revlon Colour Perfecting primer. These items are even cheaper when Guardian or Watson’s have festive sales :)

bommie August 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

seriously where did u get the 3m nexcare acne patch? i’ve been searched it for a long time :(

Paris B August 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

Caring pharmacy is a good place to start. Its hard to find in Watsons and Guardian I realised.