in Lip Gloss,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

I’m sure many of you now know that you can recycle your M.A.C product plastic packaging by returning 6 pieces to M.A.C in exchange for a lipstick of choice, right? And when you have gone to make your exchange, you might have been told that you can choose from any one in the range… except for the Viva Glam lipstick.

vivaglam4 Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

Know why? The M.A.C Viva Glam lipstick is a charity effort by M.A.C where all sales of the lipstick goes towards the M.A.C Aids Fund to support men, women and children living with HIV and AIDS and to spread information about the disease. I first paid attention a few years ago when one of the hottest sellers was the M.A.C Viva Glam V fronted by Pamela Anderson. The colour was a lovely shade of light pink and I actually bought it – partly because the colour was lovely and partly because of the contribution to the Aids Fund. It felt nice to do something and get something out of it without going too far out of my way.

The Viva Glam lipstick has been an annual affair since 1994 and this year it is fronted again by Lady Gaga – the music icon of our times it would seem. I can just see your mind ticking and yes, Lady Gaga was one half of the dynamic Viva Glam duo last year too alongside Cyndi Lauper. This year the music superstar gets her own campaign icon smile Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

vivaglam5 Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

This year’s Viva Glam lipstick and lipglass comes in tones of beige – opaque enough to cover even my pigmented lips. And an interesting change from the pinks, and reds I associate with Viva Glam

vivaglam3 Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

Left: MAC Gaga 2 Lipstick Right: MAC Gaga 2 Lipglass

Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipstick is in the Amplified formula which is creamy and pigmented. It is described as a light warm beige which I was afraid might be too pale but to my surprise, although it does cover up the colour of my lips, it does not quite wash me out as much as I thought. Of course, I’d suggest you wear something strong on the eyes so you don’t look too pale overall.

vivaglam Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

Featuring: MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipglass, MAC Shy Beauty blush, MAC Porcelain Pink MSF, MAC Mineralised Skin Finish Natural Powder

Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipglass is described as a Light Neutral Pinked Beige and although I find the lipglass formula a little sticky, I rather like wearing this colour! Its different from my usual reds and corals and pinks, yet its not too beige or nude for me. There is a very slight pinkish tone that just about makes it wearable. I was afraid of it being too pale but I think this one works well enough to take me into the territory of nude lip colour that does not wash me out icon smile Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

If you layer the lipglass over the lipstick, you get a very opaque nude lip with a touch of shine. It’s a look that takes some getting used to for me, that’s for sure!

vivaglam2 Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipglass layered over Lipstick

The Viva Glam Gaga 2 nude beige colours were inspired by Lady Gaga herself who you might have noticed now sports a more toned down lip look. I like the look of the visuals which I found different from previous M.A.C Viva Glam visuals.

viva gaga Looking for a nude lipstick? Go Gaga with M.A.C Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass

Previous looks all showed women (and men) with strong looks and stark visuals. The light, almost fairy-like image for Viva Glam this year is ethereal and glamourous in a different sort of way, and we know how Lady Gaga challenges the norms right? I reckon this campaign is a good enough fit for her.

Viva Glam lip products are limited edition for 12 months and all sales go towards the M.A.C Aids Fund. They are available at M.A.C counters and stores nationwide. Do give it a look if you might be in the market for something nude for the lips. The lipstick may be a little stark for some, but the lipglass is a good way to ease into nude lips – so if you are in the market for a nude lip, check these out… and contribute to a good cause while you’re at it! Learn more about M.A.C Viva Glam at www.vivaglam.com

M.A.C Viva Glam Gaga 2 Lipstick and Lipglass retail at RM68 each at all M.A.C Cosmetics stores and counters.

Disclosure: This is an advertorial commissioned on behalf of MAC Cosmetics. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

makeup.addict July 11, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love MAC. I love the Gaga. But I just hate both shades of the MAC VG Gaga. Neither of them look good on darker skinned people like me as the first one was a hella scary bubblegum pink and the second one makes me look like a character out of night of the living dead. But I do commend MAC for raising such awareness (and money!!) for AIDS as they have donated millions ($20 million in 2010 if I remember correctly) of dollars towards the cause. And that is the reason why I have almost all the VG lipsticks, VG 1 through VG 5, as it does make me feel better in indulging in makeup while it is still helping the needy. Kudos to MAC :)

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:16 am

I will wait for MAC to come out with another red Viva Glam before I get another. These are a little too nude for my tastes and I must agree – it won’t look as good on those with darker skins. Its too neutral. That said, Lady Gaga is really fair skinned so it could be made for her.

ksuan July 11, 2011 at 9:11 am

So glad to see this shade work on you, Paris! I loved it but when I tried it out on my lips, I looked so washed out – positively ill :(
ksuan recently blogged…Review: MAC Lustre Lipstick in SweetieMy Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:16 am

The lipstick is too opaque even for me. The lipglass is a much better colour!

Hanny
July 11, 2011 at 9:16 am

So pretty!!! (All three of you, heh heh heh)

I do like the Viva Glam concept, just that I don’t like the colors so far, not even the previous Viva Glam Gaga. Perhaps after I’ve culled my lipstick stash some.. hmmm…

I’m on a no-buy ban again tho!! ~sighs~
Hanny recently blogged…Quick Review: MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation NC37My Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

I have to give it to MAC for their Viva Glam project too. Its noble and as consumers we get something out of it too. It would be nice if they came out with brighter colours in coming collections. The past few have not caught my eye. I didn’t get the Cyndi Lauper one because it was a bit too warm.

xin
July 11, 2011 at 9:18 am

i like the the shade of the lipstick! u look so different with nude lips :P
xin recently blogged…Colorful Monday: Inglot Freedom System Palette – Eyeshadows ReviewMy Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

Ya I wasn’t quite sure what to expect :P The lipglass works better in terms of colour as compared to the lipstick though

Kate July 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

Love your soft ethereal look too!

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:19 am

LOL! Thanks although I think Lady Gaga does it better :P

Cynthia July 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Awww…You definitely look pretty and very natural with nude lips.
Cynthia recently blogged…Review: Hada Labo Retinol Lifting + Firming LotionMy Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:19 am

Aww thank you :) Its different eh? ;)

Jenn
July 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

This is super pretty on you!!! :D Love it!

I’ll have to say that MAC did a great job with this one – the first VG Gaga didn’t really work for me… too scarily pink! >.<
Jenn recently blogged…Help!My Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

Did you or will you get these Jenn? :D Thanks btw – I never thought nude lips would ever work :P

Jenn
July 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Yeah i got them (you knew i would didn’t you? Haha! :D )

I thought you look really elegant and chic with the nude lips! :D
Jenn recently blogged…Help!My Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I knew you would get them! ;) Thanks for the compliment – its not a look I’d pull out often. I love me red lips too much and I’m not good at playing up the eyes;)

Rainy Days & Lattes July 11, 2011 at 11:11 am

It looks extremely flattering on you, both w/the lipstick and gloss on top. I love that look so much. I have the Cyndi one from Viva Glam, and it’s a nice bright pink that’s flattering and warms up the skin tone. I’m not a huge fan of MAC but I do like their contribution to the AIDS foundation :)
Rainy Days & Lattes recently blogged…Giveaway Wins and Saturday StuffMy Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 11:22 am

I will have to share your sentiments! I’d like for MAC to do a nice red as they did one year. And perhaps in a Lustre formula which is less drying. I’m only wearing the lipglass mostly for now because the Amplified lipstick formula is a little drying :(

Sue Lynn
July 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

^_^ Yay! More self-potraits than usual <3

This is definitely on my wishlist since I'm a nude lip freak
*when you have fishlips like me, nude lippies are staples!*

The original Gaga was too bright, not to mention fuschia for me tho.

Have you tried that?

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Heh takes guts to post these less than flattering shots IMO ;) If you like nude lipstick, you’d love these. They are crazy opaque! I didn’t try the original Gaga. It was too…..pink!

Sue Lynn
July 12, 2011 at 8:40 am

“…less than flattering shots…”?!?!?

I like these a LOT (well, not saying previous shots were bad :p),
but you look mighty relaxed and spontaneous here <3

Love the SMILE ^_^

ParisB July 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Haha thanks Sue Lynn! :D

Monstro July 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’m really impressed at how lovely that looks on you! Seriously, your skin takes any colour–so versatile!
I tried a nude shade from MAC once and I looked like a corpse! I will stay away forever and ever now. LOL!

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Ooh thanks! I usually look like a corpse. Actually the lipstick is a bit corpse-inducing so if you really want to try, my suggestion is to go with the lipglass which is more forgiving.

tass July 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Nyummy~~ this might be right for me after a few attemps of buying nude lips failed. I found it so hard to find one that does not make me looks like alien or ikan kering :D

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Haha ikan kering! :D My suggestion is to try the lipglass. Its pinker and more forgiving than the lipstick. The lipstick tends to go on just brown.

Denise
July 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I liked the first VG Gaga. I’m still not super sure that VG Gaga 2 would look good on me. I’m scared of nude lips, haha.
Denise recently blogged…Pucker Up with Maybelline Lip Smooth Color BloomMy Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm

You know what? I’m scared of nude lips too! Too often I’ve been asked if I’m sick :P To be honest I don’t think everyone can pull off nude lips… but I think everyone can pull off red lips! :D

Denise
July 12, 2011 at 12:15 am

Oh dear, I’m scared of red lips too! I can pull off a lighter red lip but not full blown reddy-red lips. But bubblegum pinks, I can rock!
Denise recently blogged…Super-sized Beauty: MAC WWMy Profile

ParisB July 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

At least you’re trying with a lighter red :) I could never really wear bubblegum pink. I think I’m not young enough haha!

Lynne July 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am totally into the whole nude lips, sculpted bronzed cheeks and smoky neutral eyes look. Which means I am more than tempted to get these two, in spite of the fact that I just bought 2 blushes from NARS and MAC just last week and am already eyeing another from Givenchy. July is going to be a scary month.

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Haha… I think you’d love these if you love the whole nude lips look :D Its hard for me to get the whole smokey eye look done right. But I think these colours don’t suit dark skinned girls very well. In my view anyway :)

espenine July 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Nope, dislike. I very much prefer your lips in bright reds and pinks.

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm

:) I do too and I’ll have a pink/red lip coming up soon!

pinkcloud July 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

wow! I am surprised it works on you so well! Its certainly a nice change! That means i could give it a go too because I usually can’t wear nude lip colours! :D Thanks for the review! ;)

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, try the lipglass :) Its a little pinker and therefore a little more forgiving if you want to try a nude lip :D

S July 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I’m really surprised the nude lipstick didn’t make you look washed out! And I didn’t know MAC had a back-to-MAC program! Now if only they did it in the UK…

Also, the charity bit has definitely drawn me into purchasing more MAC products, which is extremely detrimental to my bank account *sighs*
S recently blogged…Review: MAC’s Semi Precious range: Rose Quartz and Crystal Pink Mineralize Skinfinishes!My Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Actually, the lipstick did – I had to top it up with the lipglass so I didn’t look too washed out :) MAC’s back to mac programme is available worldwide! :D So start hoarding those MAC plastic pots/lipsticks etc Only the VIva Glam lipsticks/lipglosses go towards charity. The rest don’t.

Amanda July 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Gaga 2 looks great on you! I prefer the pink shade Gaga. The only nude MAC lipstick that doesn’t make me look like a dead person is Hug Me.
Amanda recently blogged…I love…My Profile

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Thanks you Amanda. If I recall correctly, Hug Me has a little pink undertone right? Which makes it similar to the lipglass :) The lipstick is very much less forgiving.

Amanda July 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, it’s with pink undertone. Ever since both my MAC MAs left, I haven’t really checked what they’ve in store nowadays. I’m done with MAC, at least for now :D
Amanda recently blogged…I love…My Profile

Voyance July 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

lipstick is too nude for me (like a brown color)

ParisB July 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Yes, the lipstick has a brown tone which is less forgiving. The lipglass is a much more forgiving shade :)

Lisa July 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I love nude lips but not many suits my skintone without making me look washed out. This is no exception. Makes me look tired. I still think the most ‘memorable’ nude lips that looks so good on you was the RMK session by the japanese makeup artist. That was really pretty and make you look fresh and young! Now…this is the kind of nude look i want to achieve.

ParisB July 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm

You know why that worked? Cos he used a pink on and then layered it with a gold :D I know nude lips just aren’t me :P

Mrs K July 12, 2011 at 1:08 am

You look absolutely gorgeous with those shades! <3

ParisB July 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Haha I’m getting loads of conflicting views here but thank you Mrs. K! :D

alene July 12, 2011 at 1:53 am

wow Paris, u really look good like this, i think i like it even better than the red lip!!! how i WISH i could do nude lips, i love those, but unfortunately i cant because:
1. my lips are full and pouty and the top lip is discoloured while the btm is devoid of any color, if i did a nude lip i’d look like a dead, discoloured pufferfish.
2. i eat all lipsticks/lipglosses/lipbalms in minutes. no lip color, whether powdered or long lasting or whatever can stay for more than 30 min. i might have to resort to nail polish on my lips.

ParisB July 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Of course you don’t look like a dead discoloured pufferfish :P You just have to find a pink based nude lip colour :) Its darned hard though. Believe me, I’ve tried!

eve August 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

darling i need help , i jus brought MAC creme de nude lipstick . the sales person keep saying that is the best nude for me , but no matter how i appy i still see pink on my lips , do i really have to resort to using concealer before applying ? i need ur help desperately here . lol . so its :

1) lipblam
2) concealer
3) nude lipstick
4) gloss

ps: if i need concealer which would u suggest i buy , i dont make up at all so i don use concealer , btw i know u dont use concealer on lips from ur other post , but i really want the nude look so help me pls , lol thanks !

ParisB August 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hmm… I don’t use concealer on lips – I don’t believe in it and I don’t think concealer is meant to be ingested. I do think that if your lips are very pigmented, then it will be much harder to achieve the truly nude lip look. You might try a lipstick with more beige tones which will tone down the pink. If you really want to use a concealer, the one I find best for covering marks and pigmentation (and therefore lip colour) is the Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer. I’m not sure if it can be eaten, however :P

eve August 12, 2011 at 3:48 am

lol thanks .. will try me best to achieve the best nude look n if i can do it will share it here =)

ParisB August 12, 2011 at 10:29 am