Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

in Blush,Cheap and Good?,FOTD,Makeup,New on shelves,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On February 17, 2014
Last modified:February 16, 2014

Summary:

Ergh! I was told these very popular Clinique Cheek Pop blushes would be available here in mid-February, but it seems like it might be delayed. I’m afraid I’m running with this however as it’s already been scheduled, so if you don’t see it at your Clinique counter or online (you do know you can shop online?), don’t fret. It’ll appear in time, and they are permanent and they will be worth the wait I promise you!

What are these Cheek Pop blushes then? One of the new hidden gems from Clinique!

clinique cheek pop blush2 Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

The Cheek Pop blushes are vibrant blushes that come in 4 very wearable shades and whilst are powder blushes, have an interesting cream-to-powder texture and finish that is fascinating. But what will really catch the eye of most people would be the design. We have not see something this pretty, yet this functional in a very long time!

The Cheek Pop blushes come imprinted with a gerbera on its surface which is impressive with its attention to detail and intricacy. The best part is that the embossing does not disappear with a few uses. I’ve been using these quite regularly and the pattern is still pretty intact. In fact, these pictures were taken after a couple of uses so you will have reason to smile at these flowery blushes for a long time to come icon smile Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

But pretty pattern aside, the Clinique Cheek Pop blushes pack a punch and I must say, surprised me every step of the way. These deserve all the accolades tossed at them, and then some!

Each Cheek Pop blush comes housed in a transparent lucite case, with a base that corresponds to the colour in it. There are 4 shades available for now:-

• Plum Pop – a light cool pink
  • Berry Pop – a deep berry pink
  • Ginger Pop – a warm coral red
  • Peach Pop – a warm coral pink

I have yet to see Ginger Pop and Peach Pop for myself but I have been seeing many pictures and swatches online and they look absolutely beautiful so I’m quite taken with them too. They are the warmer shades so if you fare well with peach and coral blushes you will want to look at those and if you fare better with pink shades then you will probably prefer Plum Pop or Berry Pop.

clinique cheek pop blush size Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Clinique Cheek Pop in Berry Pop for size reference

They aren’t very large, but the colours pack a punch and the price is very affordable (RM80 yo!) so I really am not complaining at all.

In pan, and putting Berry Pop and Plum Pop side by side, I must confess that it is actually quite hard to tell them apart. The tonal shades are close and unless you view them in bright light, they aren’t that noticeably different.

clinique cheek pop blush Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Clinique Cheek Pop Left: Plum Pop Right: Berry Pop

In brighter light, you will notice that Berry Pop has a deeper colour that Plum Pop but to the naked eye there is minimal difference. Does that mean therefore that you can just get away with just one instead of both?

Actually I do think you can. Whilst there are subtle tonal difference between the 2 cool shades and the 2 warm shades, I personally find them a little too similar on skin to warrant getting all 4 unless you are a collector. However, between each tone category lies also a subtle difference so it does pay to get the shade right the first time.

clinique berry plum pop swatch Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Clinique Cheek Pop Swatches Left: Plum Pop Right: Berry Pop

As you can see, while Plum Pop and Berry Pop look similar in pan, on skin they are quite different. Plum Pop, despite its name displays no plummy tones and instead is a light, cool toned pink which I personally find flattering on fair skintones. On deeper skintones you may have to layer it a bit.

So for deeper skintones, I think Berry Pop will serve you better. It is a cool toned berry pink that I’d pick in a heartbeat if it was a lipstick but in a blush, it is a shade that gives me pause. I personally think this will be more flattering on someone with deeper skintone and while I get it to work, I need to be careful with it and I prefer using Plum Pop which I find more flattering.

clinique cheek pop blush5 Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Clinique Berry Pop blush – look at the intricacy of the pattern! This is after at least 2 uses.

The texture of these Cheek Pop blushes are very interesting as they actually feel a bit like a cream and even look like a cream blush but it’s a powder blush. I just use my regular blush brush to pick up product and even the soft Lunasol Cheek Brush works just fine. In fact, I like using it because it picks up just enough colour to allow me to build on as when I work with Berry Pop I find it a bit too strong for my skintone. So my advise would be to work out the shade you’d like and then go with a light hand and blend and build colour along the way because these are surprisingly pigmented.

Longevity is very good as well. I apply these over foundation and they last practically all day on me – a minimum of 8 hours before I notice it’s gone. The incredible texture gives me a sheer, blush from within glow that I love especially with Plum Pop so that’s my favourite of the 2 that I have. I am considering Peach Pop as I suspect that Ginger Pop might be the counterpart to Berry Pop, both being deeper in tone, so I’ll report back when I get it icon smile Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

For completeness, here’s how both the blushes look when I wear them.

This is Plum Pop, the cooler light pink toned blush.

clinique berry3 Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

This one’s Berry Pop the slightly deeper toned berry blush used with a very light hand and blended out.

clinique berry Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

To be perfectly honest, on cheeks, despite the difference in lighting etc, there is little difference between Berry Pop and Plum Pop. I find Plum Pop more flattering and less likely for me to make a mistake with. With Berry Pop, I can sometimes look like I’ve put on too much blush and it then looks less flattering on my skin.

Personally, I’d just pick one from each category, despite the affordable pricetag and incredible texture. It just doesn’t quite make sense to own all 4.

In a nutshell

Get them when they’re released! icon razz Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique These new Cheek Pop powder blushes from Clinique apply like a cream and give a very lovely transparent glow on the skin that is very flattering. The colours are vibrant and will flatter most skin tones. I personally find them too similar to warrant owning all 4, but owning one cool and one warm shade does make sense as they are excellent quality products, long lasting, pretty to look at, easy to use and very affordable. You can’t ask for more in a blush!

Pros: Affordable, Longlasting, Pigmented, Pretty design, Compact and easy to use, Flattering colours, Permanent, Not powdery on skin

Cons: None

Who will like this: Anyone who loves a pretty blush, Anyone who wants an affordable blush that performs well and does not look powdery on skin

clinique cheek pop blush4 Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

I have to admit I was taken by surprise by these Cheek Pop blushes. I own a Clinique blush or two and while they are alright, they aren’t anything I’d write home about. Some of the pretty patterned ones released in previous years are a right disappointment as they were so sheer to be invisible. These however, have received accolades and bouquets all over the world and I must say, they deserve every bit of it.

After the Chubby Stick Intense, these are the next best things to have come out of the Clinique makeup stable in recent years and I’m so glad they’ve finally stepped up their game. Good job! icon biggrin Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Are you eyeing these blooming beauties? Which colours would you get?

I plan to pick up Peach Pop, based on the swatches I’ve been seeing. It looks pretty but I do want to check it out in person first to ensure it’s not too warm. I personally would only pick one cool and one warm colour, but you know, don’t let me stop you getting all 4 if it strikes your fancy icon wink Plum Pop and Berry Pop: Beautiful Cheek Pops of colour from Clinique

Clinique Cheek Pop Blushes come in 4 flattering shades – Ginger Pop, Peach Pop, Plum Pop and Berry Pop Price: RM80 Availability: Clinique counters and online

Disclosure: Featured products were press samples for consideration. Our commitment is to honesty and fairness. For posting guidelines please read the disclaimer.

LeGeeque February 17, 2014 at 8:36 am

It’s so fascinating! As I read through your post, I kept my eyes peeled to figure out which colour I’d pick. I scrolled up and down to compare the colours and finally decided, yes, Plum Pop is for me! Imagine my relief when you concluded that was the colour for you. Whew.

They’ve finally landed in Australia – wow, we actually got something before you guys! :P but they cost a pretty penny. AUD$40. I’ll wait till I’m having a crap day at work and need a pick-me-up. I’ll get this. Otherwise, I’m shopping in my stash and learning to love what I have :)

February 21, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Haha it’s it great that we have similar tones? :D And yes, definitely Plum Pop for you! AUD$40 is hefty by comparison! Get your mule to carry one over when she goes la ;)

Cecilia Wong February 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

I’m not a blush person, but you make me want to run out and get one of these. Yikes, maybe two :)

February 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Haha they’re really great Cecilia so I don’t think you’d have regrets. I want another myself!

Juan
February 17, 2014 at 9:31 am

I’ve never been really impressed with many of the blushes because they all just look and pretty much feel the same. this one looks good though and I don’t mind it being packed in the simplest of packaging as long as it is kept affordable to us. will look out for this :)
Juan recently blogged…Beauty tips for beautiful skin could just mean keeping it simple.My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Yep! Very affordable, very simple packaging and very good! Everything we want in a makeup item :D

PigmenTex February 17, 2014 at 10:11 am

I’m buying Peach and Berry, despite being somewhat pale (MAC NC10-13 at most) I tend to prefer more intense, pigmented blushes. Do you think these are easy to depot? I prefer to have my stuff in Zpalettes, it seems they have a plastic container which will be easy to take off (the colored alike to blush one)!

Here in Spain we are waiting them for the end of March though, I’m waiting eagerly :)

Greetings.

February 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Hiya! Nothing wrong with going for deeper shades at all – after all it comes down to personal preferences :) I’m not sure how easy it is to depot. Maybe the plastic pot can be removed, but I’m not all certain about it. It might be a bit high for a palette though, but that’s just speculation on my part. Hope you get to check them out soon!

Firn February 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

I like how light and fresh you look with Plum Pop on! I think Berry Pop makes your pigmentation appear darker (as is the case with most berry/warm blush shades).

February 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Spot on Firn :) I thought exactly the same thing which is why I rarely go for berry/red toned blushes anymore

Laura G. Ashley February 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

I’m a sucker for anything petals and I think I’m already in love just by looking at the intricate details. I never own anything from Clinique and it seems like I’d be holding my breath for their coral blush.

Thank you for sharing this, Paris :-)

February 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

You’re most welcome Laura! I’ve just been told that they’re already available at the counters! Clinique seems to be stepping up their makeup game!

lyn
February 17, 2014 at 11:45 am

Very pretty blushes! That hoarder in me wants them all! I’ll likely end up getting Plum and Peach Pop. Can’t wait for these to arrive! They are so cute!
lyn recently blogged…Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm: The Glossy Cousin Is Here In TownMy Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hahahaha I somehow have a feeling you’d get them all anyway LOL ;) They are certainly cute and importantly, function well! Love them

Victoria February 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

Berry Pop is so beautiful and looks like my kind of colour. LOL. I was looking for a berry pink blush for the longest time and recently bought Sleek Blush By 3 Palette in Pink Sprint in which the colour Pink Parfait could be something similar to this. But I doubt that would stop me from getting this blush. Hahaha.

February 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Yes! I think it’ll look really nice on you ;) On the bright side, they aren’t terribly expensive and they’re permanent – Clinique’s smartest move ever!

Parita February 17, 2014 at 11:50 am

I so am loving both the shade and now super confused which one I want to pick up :)
Parita recently blogged…Pink & Burgundy Eyes For Valentine’s Day!My Profile

Tracy February 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

NEED! :) So pretty on you!
Tracy recently blogged…Sephora Collection Sure Has Some Great Makeup Tools Right Now!My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Tracy and yes, NEED!

Megan
February 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

These look really pretty, it’s nice to see Clinique coming out with some gorgeous colour cosmetics of late.

February 21, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I fully agree Megan :) I feel like they’re stepping up their game and that’s always a good thing!

AnT February 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

So berry PRETTY on you dearie!~ ^_^

Me love your first photo. It brings out the real you~ very cheerful, elegant and gorgeous!! :D

February 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Haha thank you AnT :) I actually liked how that photo turned out too :D

Issa February 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

This is interesting! My my, the design is verybeautiful! It would be difficult to use this because of the design, hihi….

February 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Don’t be afraid, Issa, I’ve been using it for over a week now and most of the pattern is still there! Just that the edges aren’t as sharp but the flower will stay on a long long time :)

liyeun February 17, 2014 at 2:31 pm

So pretty and the colour – I die!!!! I have been stalking the web to get hold of this, and it has been upsetting me. LOL!
liyeun recently blogged…M.A.C. Natural Radiant Illuminating Makeup Base – Natural PinkMy Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Heads up, it’s out at counters! :D Which would you pick?

Jacqueline February 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for your awesome swatches Paris, I was feeling like I missed out on Berry Pop but with your swatches, I can safely say I don’t need both berry and Plum Pop. They look beautiful on you. I’m really loving how easy it is to wear these.

February 21, 2014 at 5:54 pm

You’re welcome Jacqueline, I’m glad they were of help and yes, you absolutely do not need both pink and both warm blushes :D I’m sure the warm ones are fabulous on you – you wear warm colours so well!

Vesna February 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I don’t think I won anything by Clinique but I might consider these beauties <3 Thank you for lovely photos and swatches! You look so fresh in these photos (not that you look anything different on other photos but, you know… ;)).
Vesna recently blogged…No makeup danMy Profile

Vesna February 17, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I meant ‘own’, not won :D
Vesna recently blogged…No makeup danMy Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:55 pm

You’re welcome Vesna and thank you! I love how well these blushes work on the skin and they are so natural yet so pretty! I hope you get to play with them soon :)

Wynnce February 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I’ll probably getting the same shades with you~~~Awaiting them to be released now~

February 21, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for letting me know they are already available! I plan to pick up Peach Pop soon :D

plue
February 17, 2014 at 5:14 pm

ah Plum Pop! the gerbera design and texture/colour and affordability is good enough to warrant a purchase!
plue recently blogged…Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Absolutely, Plue! Worth it!

anis February 17, 2014 at 6:09 pm

WANT WANT WANT! gerberas and blush is a match made in my kind of heaven! And plum looks really lovely on you :-*
I’ve already been checking up the website eversince I read about it before finding out that it’ll be released in March! Silly me.. but the online service is good! Ordered at 10pm, get the perfumed parcel at 10am next day. Thumbs up!

February 21, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thank you and not want, Anis, NEED! Haha… Thankfully these are permanent but I can forsee them flying off the shelves :D Good to know that you had good service with the online store! I think I’ll get the Peach Pop I’m eyeing online – saves me the hassle of going down to the counter ;)

Marina(Makeup4all) February 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

You actually have two shades that I was curious about, they are both SO pretty and look great on you.
Marina(Makeup4all) recently blogged…Makeup4all Turns 5 Beauty GIVEAWAY!My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thank you Marina and I think they’d look so amazing on you too! Hope you get them soon ;)

Sunny
February 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hey Paris, thanks for the review! I heard that it’ll be APRIL when these beauties become available here, so it’s still quite a wait. I’ll have to rely on online swatches as well, since they will be online exclusives! I’m guessing I’ll pick one out of these two, and maybe one out of the other two warmer ones. They’re just easy on the eyes, and I have been very taken with hybrid blushes!
Sunny recently blogged…Parfumerie Générale Isparta 26My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Yikes, April and online exclusives! I think the warmer ones will be very very pretty on you Sunny, since I know you take to warm shades well :) But definitely go with one of these, maybe Plum? I think it’s the more generally flattering colour :)

February 17, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I have Plum Pop and it’s a beautiful light pink that goes well with my warm skin tone! I want to get them all, just because I’m obsessive like that. LOL!
Lily recently blogged…Sunday Stash Shopping #21My Profile

February 21, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Plum pop is gorgeous and I saw how well it wore on you too! It’s so tempting to get them all but I’m going to be good and just get Peach Pop :) Can’t wait for them to come out with more colours

Emma February 17, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Having swatched and tried it out in store, I’m a bit torn between the peach pop and berry pop. I like how berry pop looked on my face much more than peach pop, but the Clinique girl and my mom preferred peach pop much more. And that Clinique girl insisted that coral, peachy shades suit me better due to my fair complexion.
By the way, I find berry pop and plum pop super similar, plum pop is like berry pop with shimmer.

February 21, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hey Emma, I haven’t yet tried Peach Pop so I can’t say for certain how well it looks although it looks very pretty in pictures but you know, I’d say go with what makes you happy. If you like Berry Pop go for it! After all you’re wearing it and it’s just makeup – it washes off :) I didn’t see any shimmer in Plum Pop but it does look to be a lighter version of Berry Pop.

Cece February 17, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Oh my! So pretty! It’ll make a beautiful gift :D

February 21, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Gift for yourself? ;) “Here’s a bunch of flowers” sounds so much better when it’s a bunch of Clinique gerberas heehee ;)

lisa February 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

I like how these looked ‘transparent’ and shows up the skin beneath. I love how plum pop looks on you. You instantly look fresh and younger. The “more pink than plum” sits well with your skin tone. Thumbs up! I’m checking out the coral shades too.

February 21, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Yep, they aren’t heavy at all which is what I love too! I definitely lean to Plum Pop too despite the deceptive name and I’ve got my eye on Peach Pop!