Your Say: What beauty products don’t you care for?

in Bath & Body,Discussions,Hair,Musings,Nails

Hello beauty buffs!

Well, you must be a beauty buff, since you’re reading this blog that’s mostly about beauty, right? icon biggrin Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for? I am a self-confessed beauty buff and I love all these little pampering things we have and use for our skins – makeup, skincare, shower gels…

Yet, there are some products I don’t really care for.

hair nail hand Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for?

As I’m sure you do too!

For me, some of these are just products I don’t use, or aspects of personal beauty that do not attract me at all. For others, I’m just not fussed about them.

What are yours? icon smile Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for?

Beauty products I don’t pine for fall into roughly 4 categories.

Nail products

I used to wear nail polish off and on over the years, and although I’ve played with and found some nice formulas and colours over the years, nail polish and its ancillary products go whoosh! over my head. I no longer wear nail polish  because I won’t let it stay on for more than 2 days before I want to wipe it off. So I figured, why even bother?! I’m probably the only beauty blogger out there not flaunting her nice manicures in every shot LOL. Most of the time if you do see my fingers, they’re naked icon biggrin Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for?

Hand Creams or lotions

Related to nails but I never got into the habit of using hand creams or hand lotions. I used to use the ones by Crabtree & Evelyn but even those, I found too sticky and oily after a while. I do use a hand cream though. My favourite is the one by Clarins although I’m quite taken with the Biotherm one too after almost finishing the tube. I don’t collect nor pine for them though. I won’t use most of the hand creams out there and I’m planning to repurchase the Clarins one simply because it doesn’t leave oily marks over my books when I read in bed icon smile Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for?

Hair products

Hair is one aspect I’m very unfussy about, and even more so now that I’ve cropped it short and it looks to stay that way for a while because I love it! I love the ease of care (hardly any care bar washing!) and that it keeps me cool in this infernal heat. So I just go for basic hair care – shampoo and conditioner – and I’m good to go. Sure, I like brands like Kerastase because they do make my hair feel nicer than normal, but I’m just as happy using L’Oreal Everstrong (which is surprisingly good and cheap and I don’t even need a conditioner!) I don’t style my hair (I’m blessed with naturally voluminous and pouffy hair) and while I sometimes use a touch of hair cream or wax to hold it in place, that’s the extent of my “styling”, so I don’t really care for hair styling products either. Hair colour? Been there, done that, had ombré hair when it was known as “too skint to touch up roots” instead of a fashion statement icon razz Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for? these days, I embrace my natural hair colour and I’ll start dying when the grey hair starts to overwhelm but till then, I’m low maintenance when it comes to hair.

Body lotions and creams

I’m a right sucker for body oils but not lotions or creams. In fact, the reason I never used to apply anything on my body was because I hated the feel of body lotion and creams! Too heavy, too sticky, too oily, ick! I still don’t like them, although there are some out there that don’t feel as icky, but I’ll stick to my body oils that feel luxurious, nourish my skin and smell incredible!

So now you know why you hardly see reviews or chatter about these 4 categories of products on my blog. I’m just not interested enough although when I do come across something that’s worth mentioning, I do and I will. I just don’t chase after them nor do they interest me enough to.

What beauty products don’t you care for?

I’m sure you too have your favourite beauty categories and your not-so-favourite ones. You know mine, now let’s hear yours icon biggrin Your Say: What beauty products dont you care for?

LeGeeque February 25, 2014 at 8:38 am

I’m so picky with things it’s not good :( But the one thing I’ve never cared about much is hair products. I only use Pantene shampoo and conditioner. I rarely apply masks or other treatment products (I know, I hope my hairstylist doesn’t see this) because well – multi-prong reasons. 1) sloth 2) forgetfulness 3) extremely blessed with good genes for the hair. Can’t take credit for it – it’s inherited, thankfully. Left to my own devices, my hair will be frizzier than the grass in parklands in summer.

It’s the one thing I’ve learnt to not take for granted.

March 4, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love Pantene Ultra Light, which we still don’t get here! The L’Oreal Everstrong range isn’t bad too much to my surprise and although I play around with higher end hair care, I don’t mind using something from the pharmacy in a pinch either :D I haven’t combed my hair in a billion years. I love how short hair means lower maintenance :D

Fiona February 25, 2014 at 8:43 am

For me it’s nail polish and body lotion. I’m not good with applying nail polish. Probably I’m not interested at all. I keep my nails short and naked too.
As for body lotion, I don’t like my body to feel sticky. Yuck!

March 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Haha my sentiments exactly about nail polish and body lotion :P You could be right. I ant apply polish well at all and it could well be to do with disintetest.

Applegal February 25, 2014 at 8:54 am

I keep my nails naked too, though I am attracted to pretty nails and nail polish. Partly because I think I have a lot of things to do over the weekend and waiting for polish to dry is not one of them, and also because I’m worried about the chemicals in the polish.

I use hand cream now though, because washing dishes/clothes suck my hands dry! And I don’t use gloves because I like to feel and check whether my plates are clean :P

Ting February 27, 2014 at 9:50 am

Applegal, I have the same reason for not wearing gloves when washing dishes!!! :D Just cannot imagine having to eat invisible dishwashing liquid remains… :p

March 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Can’t live without my gloves! Well unless I want my skin to peel right off haha. But I do use hand cream too now, if only so my hands don’t age more quickly than my face. But I find painting nails a bother too cos I have to treat my nails after that since I find polishes drying so that’s part of the reason I don’t like it. Too much work!

liyeun February 25, 2014 at 9:18 am

Me love body oils, too! Well, there are a few that I wouldnt bother using:
1. Tanning lotion
2. Nail polish
3. Phyto shampoos that dried up my hair and did nothing for my scalp
4. Fake eyelashes. Yes, they do look sexy and sultry when worn over smoky eyes, but it’s fake! LOL

Ting February 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

Same here! The ONLY time I’ve ever worn fake eyelashes was for my wedding day. :p

March 4, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Oh man! Good point about tanning lotions and false lashes! I don’t get them either. I hate the feeling of false lashes and the glue always irritates my eyes. Maybe cos it’s too close to my eyes and the fumes are irritating. As for tanning lotion and bronzers, hmm… Just no :P

Fathin February 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

I don’t do nail polish, I love my nails look natural and besides, I can’t have my nails painted when I do my Wudu’ (ablution) for prayers :D

Another is the product that use for cracked heels. I used to religiously apply to my heels but I noticed that lotion or body butter also worked, though might be slower. So, no more creams for cracked heels!

One more product to ignore is lip liner. I’m not good with making precise line and I like to do things quick (I took ages to apply lip liner LOL). Besides, I like my makeup not looking too perfect, hehe. So, maybe when there’s big event like my own wedding, I will be patient with lip liner, haha.

Ting February 27, 2014 at 9:59 am

Fathin, interesting to know about can’t wearing nail polish for Wudu… never known that before!

As for lip liner, I used to ignore that as well! These days I like to use a nude lipliner to tone down some bright coloured lipstick, or use lip liner as matte lipstick. It’s drying, for sure, so pat some lip balm over it. And lip liner prevents lipstick from feathering too! :D

Cracked heels… oh dear it hurts!! I find that putting on a pair of 100% cotton socks after you apply any creams or lotion at night, and sleep in them. You will have better heels by morning. :D

Fathin February 27, 2014 at 10:13 am

Ting, the reason why can’t wear nail polish for Wudu is the product block the water from touching the nails. So, need to remove nail polish before Wudu and thankfully, I’m not a fan of nail polish or it will be such a great hassle to keep removing and reapplying LOL

Thanks for the tip on lip liner. I saw a product online called DuWop Reverse Lip Liner (http://www.luxola.com/my/products/duwop-reverse-lip-liner). It suppose to fit all colours as it’s colorless and yet, help lipstick from bleeding. Going to try that when I get back my interest in lip liner :D

And also thanks for the tips for cracked heels, I’ll try that, too. I usually use this tool to scrub off dead dry skin from my heels after shower (when skin get soft) then put on lotions :D

March 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Oh yes good point about Muslims and the use of nail polish. I was told that by a friend too. Interestingly Inglot has a range of ‘breathable nail polish’ that I read would be friendly for Muslim women but I’m not sure about that! I don’t use lip liners either. It’s quite a bother although if you go for a coloured one you can also use it as Lip colour! It stays on a bit longer too ;)

Michelle Beh February 25, 2014 at 9:26 am

Love reading this blog. As for me, I don’t really care of the body scrub or body lotion. I hate those sticky feeling as well. And another factor is that I’m quite lazy in applying body lotion after bath. Lol

March 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Awww thanks for reading Michelle! :) I’m no good with body scrubs either! When I feel in need for one I go to a spa haha :P

February 25, 2014 at 9:30 am

1) Nail colours. My nails are naked and short most of the time. I don’t use cuticle oils, etc either. My nails are pretty much on their own >_<
2) Body creams and lotions – while I try to use it, I usually just forget about it. If my skin feels particularly dry, I'd use it for 1 or 2 nights. That's it.
3) Face oils – I know many people love this, but I'm just not into it

March 4, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Face oils are pretty much love or hate but I think it actually serves its purpose better in colder drier climates or for drier skins :) As for nails it Surprises me that so many of us don’t care about them much lol!

Cynthia February 25, 2014 at 9:41 am

I guess environment changed a person habit. I don’t bother about my nails until my colleagues around me push me to do my manicure. They’re all gelish-manicure freak. Not that I am turning into one, but at least I try my best to diy my own nails :p (One week once?) Like you, I don’t style my hair as well. Am not very particular with my hair products so I do stick into one/two that I’ve been using for years and it still good-to-go.
And yes, body scrub or lotion is definitely not something I’ll be crazy about. Of coz once in a while, when my mood is good I’ll still use them.

March 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm

You could be right about being in the right environment too but I’ve been around lots of people who love nail polish but it still doesn’t sway me cos I just don’t like how it feels. My nails always feel suffocated lol! Weird right? I think it’s so hard to use body lotions here cos of the weather. It always makes me feel sticky and in need of a bath :P

Juan
February 25, 2014 at 9:51 am

Does mascara count? I can’t stand mascaras because my eyelashes will never curl or look longer and washing it off takes too much effort -.-

Others would be primers and bronzers. Oh body lotions too because I’m too lazy to slather them on or they’re not moisturising enough – prefer body butters instead but that too i only reach out when my legs feel super dry and I’d need to wear something sexy the next day ;)

March 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

You know, I’ve stopped wearing mascara for a while. My lashes were feeling weak so I took a break and never went back! But when I do I like the tube type that wash off easily. Oh and I don’t do primers either. Always feels like an unnecessary extra step :P

Dawn February 25, 2014 at 9:54 am

I don’t really care for:
1.) Hair products: Just shampoo and conditioner, I like wearing my hair natural so not to fussed about hair styling products. And I’m lazy.
2.) Blush/highlighters/bronzers: Only own one blush, Thebalm’s Frat boy!
3.) BB/CC creams, liquid foundations: I dislike having anything slick or oily on my face! I only own powder foundation (the Revlon Photoready), but on regular days foundation isn’t part of my make-up routine. What God didn’t bless me with height, He made up with good complexion instead. HAHA.

I really love nail polish, and hand creams are a necessity for me! My cuticles dry out a lot from the washing of dishes and clothes :)

March 4, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Awww I’m jealous of your good skin already! :D and just one blush? Oh dear I feel almost like a hoarder next to you hehe…

Dawn March 4, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Oh you don’t have to feel that way…
I can open my own nail salon with the number of numbers I have, stopped counting after 30. hehe!
Along with my lipstick collection. I have soooo many reds :D

melanie February 25, 2014 at 9:59 am

I’m not big on body scrubs. I don’t like spending too time in the shower so now I use Wen shampoo since I don’t need a conditioner afterwards. With the 4 distinct seasons in Japan I find that I need to use the heavy sticky body and hand creams in winter even though I’m not a fan of them. I like the Burt’s Bees hand salve, it’s oily but soaks in quick and I don’t need very much to alleviate my dry hands. In the summer I barely need anything since it is so humid. Another thing I don’t care for but it’s a necessity is sun screen, it’s so hard to find a formulation that is comfortable and doesn’t irritate my skin. I’m using La Roche Posay now but think it will be too heavy feeling for summer.

March 4, 2014 at 2:24 pm

You’re actually right about living in a country with 4 seasons, Melanie. When I visit a cold country I always find a need for lip balm and hand cream, products I hardly ever use here in the tropics. It’s just necessity not out of interest. As for sunscreen, our right La Roche Posey sunscreen will be heavy for summer. Since you’re in Japan have you thought to try the Japanese brands? They do high spf in very light textures that’s comfortable on skin. I like Shiseido Perfect UV or if you try Hada Labo whitening sunscreen as well (don’t be afraid of the name, I don’t find it whitening but I prefer the texture to the regular white tube) :)

melanie March 4, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I love the textures of Japanese sunscreens but I’m sensitive to high levels of alcohol and allergic to zinc so that rules out lots of brands. It’s a shame about the Hada Labo one, I loved the texture and went through 3 bottles before I found out about my zinc allergy. I guess I’ll be going through blotting paper like crazy this summer.

March 10, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Ahh that does explain things Melanie. Japanese skincare is usually very partial to alcohol >.< I’m allergic to zinc oxide too but surprisingly my skin takes to the Shiseido Perfect UV which has zinc oxide in it, so I stick to this one now.

melanie February 25, 2014 at 10:01 am

I also forgot, I hate lipgloss. Feels like I’ve smeared syrup all over my mouth.

Ika Roseworn February 25, 2014 at 10:04 am

1) Hair care products. Back when I had long hair, I was extremely fussy about what I put in my hair. I’d use salon-brand shampoos, and would do light at-home treatments everytime I washed my hair. No conditioner as I believed it didn’t do much for the hair. But these days, it’s shampoo + conditioner in whatever brand, and a deep at-home treatment once a week because I colour my hair. I keep my hair short too and it’s a lot healthier these days.

2)Nail polish. Cant keep it to stay on my fingers without chipping for more than a day! I do a pedicure once in a month or so.

I’m good with body lotions because I have dry skin. Most times, I slather on petroleum jelly because there are days when only that works on my super dry legs!

March 5, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I have to be better about the skin on my legs so good on you for taking care of it! I too have a problem with keeping polish on my nails. I always forget and use my nails to do things like dig out staples (even though I know I shouldn’t) and then I’m all “Darn it! I’m going to remove my polish now!” And I love having short hair! Best decision I ever made :D

Teresa February 25, 2014 at 10:05 am

It’s not that I don’t care for them — in fact, I have a healthy stock of all of these — it’s that I’m too lazy to use it all on a regular basis! For someone who paints their nails once a month, I sure do own a metric butt-tonne of polish. One exception is hair care, like yourself. Shampoo, conditioner, occasionally a hair mask. I do have a weakness for dry shampoos and volumising products though.

March 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm

hahaha honesty is the best policy, Teresa :D I think for some of us, we go through that soul-searching process, hoping that we’d actually like or be diligent enough about doing a certain beauty procedure e.g. painting our nails when in fact, we find other more productive things to do rather than sit around waiting for polish to dry. I’m way guilty of being lazy too!

Isabel February 25, 2014 at 10:08 am

1. toners / toning lotions – they do nuts for me
2. primers – too much silicone. I don’t like feeling like being wrapped in cling film
3. hair styling products – plain shampoo and conditioner every two days and ACV to removes residue once a week. That’s it. Often, I don’t even brush my hair for days … I just run my fingers through my hair.
4. eyebrow products – the only item I have for my eyebrows is my Tweezerman.
5. highlighters and contouring products – the over sculpted people out there have scared me off such products forever and ever.

March 5, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Ooh primers! I don’t use them either mostly because I don’t like having that extra layer of product on skin. I do own quite a few though. Sigh… Oh and highlighters too! I’ve stopped looking at highlighting products because realistically I never use them. The “problem” is that highlighters are always made in such pretty designs! :P

Isabel March 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Ah, do I know what you mean about pretty highlighters! Quite honestly, if I had a bottomless bank account and ever-expanding space, I’d absolutely love to collect cosmetics in beautiful packaging and one day in the far future, set up a make up museum!

March 10, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Now wouldn’t that be fun! I love seeing how makeup evolves over the years, especially in terms of formula and packaging, and the art.

Joy Chong
February 25, 2014 at 10:13 am

Pre-serum, I don’t get it. I see it as more layers, more time, more money. Why not just slap stuff on when the face is still damp?

March 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Haha good point! I have tried a couple of these pre-serums myself. For the most part, although some of them did work as promised it is far too much work and sometimes, far too much product. Ultimately I think it depends on a person’s skincare routine.

Florence February 25, 2014 at 10:41 am

Mine would be body lotion and foot cream. My skin tends to dry up and I think I have mild eczema but I tend to get lazy applying body lotion. So I only apply them when my skin starts to itch haha

March 5, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Foot cream! Guilty of not using anything on my poor beleaguered feet too!

plue
February 25, 2014 at 10:48 am

eyeshadows, eyeliners, fake lashes! I really can’t be bothered with doing up my eyes, the most I’d put on some mascara and I am happy enough.

March 5, 2014 at 6:21 pm

OH yes, fake lashes. I’ve totally given up on them :P I do still like wearing eyeshadow. I find it fun and I have also found that it helps balance off my eye shape haha! But hey, you can get away with it, so good on ya! :D

Parita February 25, 2014 at 11:36 am

No nail products and hand creams for me! I dont care much about body lotions either but have started to use them regularly due to skin becoming extremely dry. I cannot stand any kind of smell on my hands..

March 5, 2014 at 6:22 pm

It’ll be nice to have some non-sticky, non-greasy, non-scented hand creams and body lotions eh? hehe…

Wendy@BlushandBarbells
February 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

I can’t stand Pantene – it just never rinses out for me.
I don’t like matte lipsticks – I need slip!
I’m not a fan of any kind of tanning products – I wish I was vampire pale!
I also don’t like authentic BB creams – I’ve tried allll the sample sachets at the Korean beauty supplies and they seem very greasy and grey-toned, even the ones that get such rave reviews from beauty bloggers!

March 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I have the same complaint about matte lipstick too! I find many formula ageing but the new formulas I’ve seen look more promising although a bit of slip is always preferable :) Oh and I hear ya about BB creams especially the Korean ones. I too find them far too heavy, greasy and grey. I have all but stopped using the ones from Korea! My skin takes better to the Western incarnations even if it’s just “light foundation” or “tinted moisturiser” my skin just accepts the texture and colour better

Tracy@Beauty Reflections February 25, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hahaha love this. I hate nail stuff too. Don’t care. Won’t do.
Hair though, I care as I colour mine so I need good sulcate free products, plus I have curly hair so anything geared to that I care about too.
Body lotions? Same. I’ll use them when I get itchy, but most of the time I skip. Do not like feeling all greased up!

March 5, 2014 at 6:25 pm

You know, where it’s cold like you are I always find the need to slather on the body creams and lotions despite my dislike for them. I turn into a snake otherwise >.< I haven’t coloured my hair in years but I hear ya – coloured hair does need a little more TLC! Some day when I colour to hide the grey I forsee paying a little more attention to hair care too LOL!

Firn February 25, 2014 at 2:33 pm

For me it’s:

1) Nail polish: I am too much of a perfectionist to put up with smudges and mess on my dominant hand. Plus, my job doesn’t allow for bright nail colours and chipped polish, as it harbours germs. >:(

2) Blush: I want to be able to love blush, but since I have rosacea-type skin, I tend to have a permanent flush that isn’t pretty because it involves my nose and chin too, not just the apples of my cheeks. Any more blush on top of that just makes me look like a clown.

3) Lipstick: I have very dry lips and I hate the feeling and appearance of lip products making the skin of my lips peel. Plus, has NO ONE done any tutorials on successfully reapplying lipstick? All lipstick looks great on me after the first 5 minutes. But when I try to reapply after a few hours, all formulas just peel and bunch up on my lips. The only way around it is to either scrub the heck out of my lips (effectively removing the surface layers of epidermis, along with the embedded product) or use makeup remover; both options are pretty impractical. >:(

March 5, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Aww you don’t like 2 of my poisons! Haha :) Sorry to hear about your skin and blush but I know what you mean. It’s hard for people with flushed skin to wear blush but on the bright side, I suppose you could just deem it to be a natural flush :) As for lipstick and reapplying, you’re right. No one talks about the reapplication process. On a personal note, I just wipe off all my lip colour after my lunch. Then, I go bare lipped or reapply if I feel the need, just as I would in the morning, straight from the tube. Don’t apply over the old colour. It’ll definitely look awful. I find sometimes, if lips are dry, to wipe off lip colour (a wet wipe or makeup remover wipe will do for this purpose although I just use a piece of tissue), dab on some balm, wait a while then apply colour. Good as new :)

Sze Ling February 25, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Nail products! They just get neglected and stay in the back of my drawers. And feet care stuff too. Like pumice stone, foot cream/scrub etc. Total fail.

I’m not too fussed about shampoo and conditioners either. And I don’t even own a hair spray/mousse. LOL. But hair oil/serum is another story. Super picky on those. Some can be too heavy for me.

March 5, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Ooh I hear ya on feet stuff! You know, I don’t even know how to use a pumice stone LOL!! :D

Shari February 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I used to not care for nail polish but no, I’m so addicted to them! I can’t seem to last a week without any color on my nails now. Times have definitely changed. I also used to scoff at candles (though that’s not a beauty product!) but now, I’ve been buying luxury ones (same as you re: vices! LOL). I’ve gone through the hand cream stage
buying L’Occitane hand creams with backups but now, I seem to just look past them in my vanity.

Some beauty products I don’t care for:
1. LIP GLOSS – not a fan of glossy lips AT ALL. Never bought a lipgloss since… EVER.

2. LIP LINER – never line my lips no matter how “important” they are for long-lasting wear. Woops. Sue me.

3. LASH PRIMER – i know I should be using this because of my sparse Asian almost-invisible lashes but heck, another step to my already 1-hour routine? Pass.

4. BODY LOTION – nope, don’t want to feel like a greaseball all day in this humid climate no matter how ‘fast drying’ you are.

March 5, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Haha I hear ya re: candles! Once you start, it’s hard to stop! ;) Oh I don’t do lash primer too. I never got the hang of it and saw it as too much work for everyday. In fact, I don’t even wear mascara on most days now. I just tightline, and I have really short sparse lashes too! Gosh, I’m quite lazy aren’t I? :P

Tine
February 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Nail care products. I have cuticle oils and creams but I don’t use them. No wonder my cuticles look awful. Hair products, I’m not fussy with. I don’t style my hair at all. The most I do is iron my hair and I can’t even do the curls. Just straight down. Bronzing products, nope, don’t care for those either.

Ting February 27, 2014 at 10:15 am

Tine, I have just bought some coconut oil yesterday, after reading your post about it a week ago. :D Can’t wait to try it tonight!

March 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I’m with you on bronzing products, Tine! I still cannot get the hang of it and you know what? I’ve given up trying. Seriously, I know I would never bother so I just go fawn over my blushes :D