Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a-Waltzing Mathilda with me

in Cheap and Good?,Food & Lifestyle,Fragrance,Home,Mask,Musings,Serum,Shopping,Travel

My timing was so “good” that when I got back last week, it was quite late at night and I fell headlong into work the next day and was pretty busy the whole week. So, unpacking has been slow and you know how that’s like right? Slack off for a bit to unpack and suddenly the suitcase sits there for months on end. Reason why you should always unpack the minute you get home. I eventually found some time to and I thought I’d show you what came home with me from Down Under.

australia shopping Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

Let me preface this little haul by telling you that many things in Australia are pricey, especially if you’re talking beauty products. I found out that Revlon, for example, is sold at similar prices dollar-dollar with prices locally which means that with the exchange rate, a Revlon Lip Butter could cost you RM65. Top up a little more locally and you might as well walk away with an Estee Lauder lipstick that costs RM80.

You also saw how marked up the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palete was in my previous post, so, when it came to beauty buys, I barely bought any. I looked of course, in the beauty halls of Mecca Maxima and Kit Cosmetics and spent a nice time trawling the aisles of Priceline but I eventually walked away with very few beauty buys. Instead, I spent most of my shopping money on candles, candles and erm… candles and groceries! icon biggrin Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

I knew I was going to pick up Glasshouse Fragrances candles based on recommendations from friends and readers alike, so when I got to David Jones, and saw the scented candles section, I forgot everything else. These were what I’d come to buy!

australia glasshouse candles2 Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

I started out thinking I’d get just the small 60g ones but eventually I bit the bullet and came home with a large 350g candle in Positano – a fresh scent that I knew I’d love. I also picked up a bottle of the pricier La Maison Glasshouse range in No. 4 Les Baies Sauvages which has a distinct berry scent and reminds me a lot of Diptyque Baies. The difference lies in the price and the formulation of the scent, and I loved the heavy cut glass holder of La Maison Glasshouse.

If anyone knows where I can get Glasshouse Candles locally or in Singapore, please do share! I fear this is an addiction that I’ll have no cure for! The Circa Home Red Spiced Pear candle is another scented candle in a Christmas scent. Unlike most heavy spicy Christmas scents, this smelt lightly of pear yet with a hint of spice which is why I picked it up.

From Priceline came a couple of products from Face of Australia that I knew would be hard to find elsewhere. The Gentle Makeup Remover is really good stuff and not terribly pricey at AU$8.95 so I picked up a bottle to replenish my empty. It’s a distressful thing when a favourite eye makeup remover can only be found overseas LOL! icon razz Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me I also picked up one of their lip crayons to see how they were like since I’d read lots of good reviews.

australia shopping3 Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

A couple more beauty products were from Dr. Lewinns because they were on sale. I picked up an extra bottle of the Dr. Lewinns Line Smoothing Complex (remind me I have to blog about this!) and a Reversaderm Micro-Cellular Age Correcting Peel that I thought looked interesting. Peel stuff always interest me and this brand got the thumbs up from 2 beauty bloggers I was with so you know, you gotta trust them beauty bloggers! icon wink Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

My favourite time however, was spent at the supermarkets. Man! I love grocery shopping anywhere I go, so going to Woolworths and Coles were among the highlight of my visit. I know, sad LOL! icon razz Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me No one leaves Australia without bringing home some Tim Tams so who was I to buck the trend eh? They made good souvenirs too.

For myself, I made sure I got gloves. Dishwashing gloves, not swanky leather or woollen gloves. I know, it’s random but hey, it’s beauty related no? icon wink Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me Ever since I was introduced to these Hygiene Plus Silktouch Vinyl gloves by my friend, I have had my dishwashing gloves imported in every time I hear of anyone visiting or returning from Australia. I doubt anyone really wants a review of these, but if you do, let me know and I’ll tell you why I scorn the regular rubber dishwashing gloves icon biggrin Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me Oh and if you ever see these here in Malaysia please please let me know so I can stop importing and hoarding them.

Which leads me to my final and favourite purchase of the lot.

australia redrockdeli Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

CRISPS! icon biggrin Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me Or as they call it chips!

Tim Tams were for other people but for myself, I lugged back in hand luggage, preciously cradling them every step of the way home lest they crush, precious bags of Red Rock Deli crisps. Sure, we get them here as well but at atrocious prices so who was I to pass up 2 packs for AU$6 eh, eh? I gave 2 bags to my brother but I’m hoarding these 2 now and savouring them with every fibre of my being. Ah yes, no one gets between me and my precious crisps icon biggrin Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

That, my friends, was pretty much all the shopping I did in Australia in the few days I had free. I can safely say I didn’t plan to lug back this much, nor did I expect to buy so many candles but I went for stuff we couldn’t find here (except for the food which we can but heck, who cares eh?) and I have to say that it was a very nice, small, well-rounded haul icon smile Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me

Does anyone else go grocery shopping overseas as well? What might I have missed buying from Australia?

I know I certainly got some incredulous looks when I said I was going to buy lots of dishwashing gloves, which I did. Friends were just as amused that I’d rather go grocery shopping than beauty shopping. Guess this is what happens when a beauty blogger grows up haha icon biggrin Come Holiday Shopping Down Under and a Waltzing Mathilda with me Still, I didn’t do too badly eh?

Ling
November 24, 2013 at 8:52 am

Great haul! I love grocery shopping in foreign countries too lol. I am a big crisps fan but find the choices in Oz so limited compared to good old UK.
Ling recently blogged…Basic Smokey Brown Eyes – Step By Step TutorialMy Profile

Kate November 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

Glad to see you thoroughly enjoyed your time here in Oz! Red Rock Deli chips are pretty great, I love the honey soy chicken ones :) It’s hard to recommend grocery shopping items as an Aussie, because they just seem normal and run-of-the-mill to me haha. Tim Tams of course. I think Golden Circle and Kirks soft drinks (fizzy drinks) are the best around. And if you (or your partner, Dad, brother, whomever) is a rum drinker, our best is Bunderburg Rum.

I also definitely agree that beauty products are through the roof with their pricing! I guess it’s to do with cost of living and shipping costs to Australia -_- #firstworldproblems :P

Great post, and come back soon aye? :)

Kate Xx
themintedbeauty.com

November 25, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Hi Kate, thank you and I will definitely go back! There’s still so much to see and eat and do! :D It’s funny right, how things you might take for granted really thrill a visitor like me LOL! If I had more luggage space I’d have carried back even more food :D

November 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Ah Ling, our selection here is small too and the good ones are imported so the crisps aisle in your supermarkets made me very happy! :D I will agree with you though, the UK wins in terms of variety and quality of crisps. I want to buy up the whole aisle whenever I step into a Sainsburys or Tesco!

yee November 24, 2013 at 9:55 am

I’m curious, why do you dislike the normal dishwashing gloves here? Are you allergic to them? And oh yes, I love having a walk around the supermarkets whenever I go abroad! I do love walking around places like Cold Storage etc as well here…even when most of the time I leave empty handed *hides* Also, I love Vegemite :D

November 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Not allergic per se, but rubber gloves (from anywhere) leave a horrible smell on the hands and they tend to tear easily. These don’t :) I should blog about it. So many people are asking LOL! Oh and I”m always found in the local supermarkets here too haha! What can I say? I love grocery shopping!

Natalie November 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

Dr Lewinn’s? :s Yes, the cosmetics are ridiculously expensive in Australia, but our minimum wage is $17.50, so everything is proportional :D
Haha Red rock deli chips – they rock!! *two thumbs up*

November 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm

That makes sense about the earning power, Natalie. Some things appear much more pricey to me too because of exchange rate but other things like food in the supermarkets are really much more affordable than here. I love Red Rock Deli chips – so good!

Isabel November 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

Australia is seriously expensive…not just the shopping but also the accommodation and food. I always say that it works out cheaper for me to travel to Europe than to Australia. A personal “rule” I have when shopping in Australia is to buy stuff that are made locally i.e. which you probably can’t buy in other places. Besides, I can’t even use the excuse that “I’ll just buy these things online” because shipping charges from Australia costs and arm and a leg as well! So I tend to end up browsing in their little, indie shops which is a very lovely experience in itself.

Dark chocolate Tim Tams…. mmmmmmmmmmmm

November 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I do agree about Australia being expensive and like you, I also agree that I’d rather visit Europe for what maybe the same amount of money spent haha! I actually find that many made in Australia products/fashion are even more expensive than imported brands, and that’s what friends have told me too. Of course, it makes the local items more unique, but then they are rarely much cheaper unlike other places I’ve visited. Still, I can’t deny I enjoyed picking out the items I bought because they are all pretty unique in their own way, food notwithstanding. That I got because it was just cheaper LOL!

Tracy November 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

LOL LOL at the crisps hahaha I do the same thing! I bought a couple of things in California-like 3 beauty things, and brought home FOOD too like chocolate and cookies! It’s so true when we get older-FOOD IS WHERE IT’S AT. :)
Tracy recently blogged…Beauty Blog Link Love 11/23/13My Profile

November 25, 2013 at 4:58 pm

A well fed blogger is a happy blogger! :D I’ve realised that for the most part, beauty products are so universal now that it might just be prices that are different that make me buy something. But food, now that’s something unique to each place we visit!

synical
November 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

My cousin mules back a butt load of Arnott’s (especially if they’re on $2 special at either Coles/Woolies and because it’s about RM11 here) and also choc ($2 special) whenever she comes back to visit to divide between the relatives. Besides my mum’s Lemon Crisps, I’ll have to add Kingston to the list too :P

When I went, I also didn’t buy too much… except maybe solid deodorant (we don’t have Dove solid deodorant in Malaysia) and other $2 stuff at the supermarkets.

Have you been to Peter’s of Kensington? It’s an auntie/makcik’s dream come true: there’s something for everyone especially the home and kitchen department :P
synical recently blogged…Bro Don’t Like That La Bro #1: Here Come The BrosMy Profile

November 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm

If I were into biscuits or sweet foods, I swear I’d go absolutely bonkers! Thank goodness I’m not (and my waistline thanks me too! ;)) But biscuits were cheap and Arnotts were on offer so it was tempting to haul back a few, except I didn’t to make space for more candles LOL! I haven’t been to Peter’s of Kensington but it sounds like a place I have to visit! I’m a right makcik I am! :D

Joanne Shim November 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Tim Tams!!!! Oh so delicious.

I see you got the Lucas Papaw Ointment as well, good buy. Definitely can’t get it here.

Irene November 25, 2013 at 10:13 am

Oh Lucas PawPaw is quite easily available here! In Caring pharmacies! Both in the squeezy tube and big tubs. Me has both :D

And Paris, yes I’d love to hear your reviews on the gloves! Definitely beauty related stuff!

November 25, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Haha will review the gloves Irene :D Didn’t realise it’d be so popular or incite so much curiousity! :D

November 25, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Are you in Malaysia, Joanne? You can get Lucas Papaw here :) I buy mine from Caring or Vitacare. I have noticed that the tubes have been out of stock for a while but I now buy the tubs. Better value for money and less runny, although less portable. I’ve blogged about it here and here in case you missed it :)

Hani Lutfi November 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

My mother just got back from Australia as well and she did tell me about how pricey the items were. But she brought back tons of goodies; nuts like cashews, pistachios, almonds because they were cheaper there and a ton of chocolates; the kinds we couldn’t find in the country. Chocolates like Rolo and Cadbury’s Magnificent Creations (I think that’s what it’s called) are still quite easy to find if you go to special stores but the one thing my mom brought back that I couldn’t find anywhere was Cadbury Popcorn! It was real salted popcorn covered with Cadbury chocolate, it was amazing!!!!!

November 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Indeed! If I were into chocolate, I’d be in Heaven :D Thank goodness I’m not so my waistline was saved ;) I did notice that dried fruits and nuts were affordable there too but I didn’t buy any due to luggage weight restraints. Domestic flights are very strict :(

liyeun November 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm

When I was in Perth, I bought few packets of Bacon Chips and brought back home. I did not “manage” to taste any of them, but my younger brothers did. They literally savaged them all, and reprimanded me for buying so little. LOL.
Of course, I bought lots of chocolates from Margaret River Choco Factory, and I love them! Sometimes, I wish I could just fly wherever I want to just for snacks. Hahahaha…..

November 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm

OMG Bacon Chips! I didn’t see any or I’d have been at them like a flash LOL! :D When I was in the UK, I actually packed up a box of groceries and checked them in. I couldn’t do it this time as I had luggage weight restraints due to domestic flights, but next time I visit, you bet I’d be packing up a carton of crisps and groceries to bring home too! LOL! :D I’d love to visit Perth some day. My favourite winery is there!

Jyoan November 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Tim Tams is from Australia? I always thought it is Malaysia! We have loads of them in our Value$ stores in Singapore!

There is PawPaw Ointment here too! In a tiny drugstore at this area called Tanjong Pagar. But I do believe the stock they bring in is tiny. And I am giving away my own source of Pawpaw…

As for the Glasshouse, I have to reconfirm for you. Haven’t seen those.

LeGeeque November 25, 2013 at 6:15 am

You can’t get more Australian than TimTams. I’ve checked the ones in Singapore and Malaysia and they’re usually made in Indonesia or Thailand and are a lot less creamy compared to the Australian ones. I’m guessing they’ll have to do that to ensure the chocs don’t melt as easily in the hot tropics.

liyeun November 25, 2013 at 9:56 am

Oh dear, seems like I have been missing out the good stuff all this while – TimTams! This comment thread is so vital, no? We readers get to know what others have been loving. ^0^
*I wonder where can I get TimTams now….. *

November 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

psst! Most supermarkets will have them, or go to the more upmarket ones like Cold Storage or BIG ;)

November 25, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Yep, Tim Tams are from Australia (Arnotts) but available internationally :) The ones sold in our part of the world are from Indonesia and taste a little different. The ones from Australia are richer but sweeter as well. It could be to do with how the chocolate performs in hot countries like ours. We also get Lucas Papaw here but I couldn’t pass up getting it for just a little under AU$5 because I had chapped lips :) I’ve tried a few brands of Pawpaw ointments and my fave and the only ones that work for me is still Lucas.

Sam Bear November 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Good picks for the candles! My favourite out of those is Bora Bora ^_^
I can’t believe Estee Lauder lipstick is only RM80! The prices overseas makes me so, so sad T_T It’s probably for the best that you didn’t end up buying much in the way of beauty products here!
Sam Bear recently blogged…Crafty Hobbies – Cross StitchingMy Profile

November 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Bora Bora has such a lovely fresh scent! My fave, just based on my nose is Positano which is why I ended up getting the full sized one :D Yes, an EL lipstick is just RM80 which is why I am often tasked to shop for my friends Down Under. The cosmetics mark up is very discouraging and for a visitor, even more so!

Emily November 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I am obsessed with Red Rock Deli! And let me know if you ever want more Glasshouse – my family is in and out of Melbourne a good 8-9 times each year :)

November 25, 2013 at 5:10 pm

RRD is sooo good! :D Thanks for the offer, Emily! I’ll be sure to let you know if I need more candles! ;)

lisa November 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I’m eyeing your candles. Please review them? I’ve not seen them in Singapore yet.

November 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Will do Lisa :) I came across an online store in Singapore that sells Glasshouse candles but I’ve forgotten the link now.

lisa November 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Wow…I must try to find it. The candles look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer November 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Chips!!! Love them! When I travel, I make trips to the local supermarket and buy the snacks which is a whole lot of good souvenier :) Often, my hand luggage consists of these snacks to avoid being crushed when checked in. Ahh, I am glad that you got a wonderful collection of candles. Yes, for some unknown reason, the beauty products in Australia is really pricey. When you do a review on the gloves, that will be interesting :)

November 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Haha you’re right about food/snacks making good souvenirs. I always say that the local supermarket is the best way to learn about a country/city because so much of retail is now global, but food remains something very local. It appears there is a lot of demand for a review on the gloves so I’ll work that in soon ;)

November 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm

LOL LOL! I bought loads of those chips when I was in Melbourne too. hahahaha! You’re a Vegemite girl? I’m all for PROMITE!!! Heh :-P
Lily recently blogged…I’m On Glambunctious!My Profile

November 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm

These chips are seriously the best! Actually the Vegemite was a gift – I’m a Marmite gal! HAHA :D

Ting November 27, 2013 at 10:04 am

I’ve never tried vegemite. How different is it from Marmite (it’s also vegetarian by the way)? I can’t stand the other one made from beef extract called Bovril. :p

December 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Good question, I don’t know LOL! I haven’t had Marmite in a long time. I like it spread on cream crackers :D

Ting December 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

Oh i’ve never tried it on cream crackers!! As a child, my mum stirred half a teaspoon in plain porridge. Yum yum yum. When I was in uni, one of my flatmates (also a Malaysian girl) stirred a teaspoon into a bowl of steamy microwaved rice as a midnight snack. Quick and easy. Not so much brain food, but comfort food nonetheless. :D

December 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I grew up on a hearty broth of Marmite stirred into porridge too! Haha brings back memories. Can’t say I liked it back then, but try it on cream crackers. The saltiness of the marmite coupled with the buttery saltiness of the cream crackers is quite a taste explosion :D

Ting December 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

The Thais are not into marmite. It’s difficult to find in local supermarket. When I run out of it, I had to bring a jumbo bottle back from Malaysia. But I shall try it on cream crackers. I love cream crackers dunked in coffee (doesn’t work with farang coffee like starbucks) as in kopitiam style. What if marmite on cream crackers dunked in coffee… Will that be vomit induction?? HAHAHA

December 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Erm yes :P Marmite on Crackers is a naughty tea/midnight snack :D I love dipping crackers into kopi too! Or Marie biscuits!

AnT November 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Vegemite and Sea Salt potato chips~ yummy~~ :D

Glad you are back! ^_^

November 25, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Haha let me guess – foodie on board? ;) Glad to be back AnT!

Yu Ming November 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I do grocery shopping almost daily when in Australia! And I lugged back 6 packs of those Red Rock crisps in September… at AUD2 each cos they were on sale! I got a small box and just dumped them all in and then sealed it up so no crushing whatsoever :) I usually buy cereals too especially if they are on sale… like Nutrigrain. Tim Tams are a must too, as well as the lemon cream Arnott biscuits. And some of the chocs.

You must tell me about those gloves! I want to know why they are so special.

November 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Waaahhh you certainly got the RRD chips at a bargain! I usually pack up a carton of groceries too but this time I had weight and luggage restrictions due to domestic flights and budget airlines. Next time, I’ll definitely be sending back a carton of chips in cargo ;) I’ll share about the gloves soon Yu Ming. I didn’t realise people would be interested LOL!

Emma November 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Ok, this may sound like a weird comment. But if you ever come to Hong Kong, please find a Colourmix and indulge yourself in their luxury makeup shelfs. I just saw a jar of Guerlain Meteorites today and it was only HKD280, roughly USD36. Granted, their product selection is a bit narrow but what they have to offer are all severely lower than the counter prices.
As of this moment, I’m seriously considering getting a jar of Meteorites myself.
Ok, this sounds a lot like advertising(I do wish I get paid for leaving this comment). But I just thought since you are in Malaysia, which is quite close to HK, you might come here every now and then, and do shopping here, and personally, it’s always nice to know where to get products for less.
Emma recently blogged…A Happy Camper’s Skincare/Body Care EssentialsMy Profile

November 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi Emma, oh I remember browsing in Colormix when I was there a few years ago. I usually browse Bonjour and Sasa and have picked up some premium brands at lower prices. But I also noticed that both Bonjour and Sasa now stock a lot of unknown China brands so I actually was a little disappointed. I used to find Chanel eyeliners or lip liners at really low prices! That price for the Meteorites is amazingly good! Definitely worth getting if you have the funds :)

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous
November 26, 2013 at 5:02 am

Tim and I were at the Dandenong market on Saturday and when I saw a whole box (not those tiny ones, mind you, but an entire carton) of tangerines selling for $15, I thought of you :P Aww man, I didn’t know you’d enjoy markets so much or I would have brought you there. Everything is so much cheaper (I just got Geek a 5kg bag of carrots for just $5) and they’re really fresh too.

Oh and one thing we forgot to do with Tim Tams when you were here and that’s to do a Tim Tam Slam! :D

November 26, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Ah I’d have love to visit the market (although I’d have wanted to carry home EVERYTHING!) Think of me when mangoes and nectarines go really cheap, won’t you? ;) My timing this time was a bit sucky but next time I’ll be sure to plan it better. Still need to go on the Great Ocean Road drive and visit vineyards!

LM November 26, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi Paris, always enjoy your posts :) I’m particularly excited about the gloves you’ve got! Lol. I’m actually in Melb and have been trying to hunt them down but to no avail!! Can you please tell me where specifically did you get them from? I’ve tried a few branches of Coles and Woolworths with no luck :( Thanks!!

December 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hi LM nice hearing from you! My friend gets them for me from Safeway/Woolworth’s and I found them in Woolworth’s in Doncaster Westfield. Friend says she hasn’t seen them in Coles so maybe try Safeway and Woolworths. Good luck!

Sam Still Reading
December 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I love Red Rock Deli chips…so yummy! So much so that Woolworths sent me a 50% discount for them this week!
Sam Still Reading recently blogged…The Kissing Season by Rachael JohnsMy Profile

December 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Haha! Gosh at 50% off I’d just grab a whole carton of them! I’m slowly savouring them so I don’t run out too quickly. We get them here too but at a very high price so I’m usually too miserly to indulge :)

Fann December 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Just came back from Perth and went to each and every Safeway that I got passed and sigh….can’t find ANY of the gloves. Not even a tag – atleast I could know if it is out of stock but nothing. Mostly Ansel brand that I could find but just not Hygiene Plus or even if there were Hygiene Plus, they were disposable ones that comes in a box and not silktouch. =( Arghhhh

Brought back some RRDs though, but guess what, 2 packs burst in our luggage, I guess it must be due to the air pressure. One of them was my precious sea salt + vinegar.

December 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

:( Sorry about that Fann – my friend did warn me it was sometimes hard to find the gloves. My RRD burst too but luckily it was just at one end, and they were in a bag, so when I got home, I quickly clipped it with a bag clip and put it in an air-tight container. Still crunchy! :)