Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall-Winter Season

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

The assignment for a vamp lip had me quaking in my flipflops. I like deep lipsticks but I don’t wear many of them. I prefer going for something bright, which might be something to do with our tropical weather. Its not as fun (and sometimes, not as flattering) to wear something deep, dark and mysterious when the sun is shining full in your face icon smile Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

Still, I couldn’t just let my last LB assignment for the year slip by (I’m chickening out of the next) so here it is.

vamp lips4 Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

I found this in my lipstick drawer while I was rifling through, looking for something that might fit the bill. I was actually going to pick Lou Ling from the Guerlain Christmas collection, but I didn’t manage to get my hands on it in time. So I was quite pleased to find this – a very lovely deep, shiny, plummy-red lipstick in an intense shade.

Does anyone want to attempt to ID this before I tell you what it is? icon smile Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season Naturally, if this colour isn’t your cuppa, the other Bandits will have something to whet your vamp appetite too!

Did you guess Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in #13? You’d be right of course icon smile Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

vamp lips5 Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

I haven’t tried many lip products from Make Up For Ever. I knew someone who was a huge fan of the brand once, and she gave me a lip palette once. The lipstick was very good in the palette, but due to many reasons relating to the awful awful service I get from the SAs at the MUFE counter at Sephora (its the only place to get MUFE here) I refuse to purchase anything from them. So, I picked this one up online on a whim once, and I must say I haven’t been disappointed.

The Rouge Artist Intense lipsticks definitely live up to their name. They are lovely and intense with just 1 swipe of colour as you will see below, and #13 here has these lovely little sparklies in them that adds shine to the lips. Its a very delicate balance, when you have shine in lipsticks. Sometimes, it can come off frosty, and a frosty plum lipstick is about the worst colour in the world. However, this isn’t frosty, just shiny without being gritty.

vamp lips3 Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

Here it is swatched on my hand. Just 1 swipe and look at that intensity!

And what’s nice about having intensity and opacity like this is that it tends to last on lips. The little sparkles are there, but they are fine and add dimension to what might otherwise turn out to be a rather flat colour. Texture wise, its quite creamy and does not tug on lips, but I do find that if you have flaky skin on your lips or if your lips are particularly dry, it might catch or settle. It isn’t drying once worn, but I found that it goes on best on prepped lips.

If the colour scares you, or if you want to lighten it, you could always just dab it on then sheer it out with your fingers or a lip brush. Or you can mix it in with lipbalm for a sheer glossy berry shine. It gives lips a lovely “I just ate berries and stained my lips” look then and that’s an easier way to wear a deep plum shade in the bright tropical sunshine icon wink Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

vamp lips2 Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

Here is Rouge Artist Intense #13 applied straight on lips. The colour on my lips is a reddish plum. If you prefer something with more red in it, then you would be disappointed, because this actually pulls more plum than red. That said, much depends also on your skintone and original lip colour because that can affect the way lipstick looks on you.

In a nutshell

The Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense lipstick in #13 is a lovely plum red in the tube, with shimmer. The shimmer is very small and isn’t gritty and adds a lovely dimension of shine to lips. On my lips, #13 pulls a red-plum which suits me fine as that is less ageing on me than a full on plum colour. Texture wise, the lipstick applies intense as the name implies, going on skin opaque with just 1 swipe. It may intimidate those who are afraid of strong colours, but its easily sheered out. There is a scent but it isn’t too strong, and I am impressed by the texture of the Rouge Artist Intense so I might have to check out other colours. Just not at the local MUFE counter because all my experiences there have been horrible ones.

Pros: Intense and opaque colour, #13 is a nice strong red plum that could be more plum than red on some skintones, Smooth and non drying

Cons: Packaging looks and feels a bit cheap, Colour can catch and settle on flaky lips

Who will like this: Anyone looking for intensely pigmented lipsticks, Anyone looking for a lovely plum-red lipstick for the Fall/Winter season

vamp lips Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

And in a full face shot, you can tell that whilst a strong colour, it isn’t all that overwhelming, I promise. I find that strong lip colors tend to look a bit stark on fair skinned ladies, while it looks amazing on those with a deeper skintone. But anyone can wear any colour – you just have to find the right one icon smile Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

If this doesn’t catch your fancy, check out what some of the other Lipstick Bandits have picked for their vamp lipstick choices.

Have you tried any MUFE Rouge Artist Intense lipsticks? Is #13 a colour you’d wear or is there another colour you think I might like from the range or any other MUFE lipstick range?

As I said, I haven’t really tried any lip product from MUFE but I also have another lipstick in a sheerer texture so I’ll tell you about that one next time icon smile Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season

Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick Price: US$19/ RM80 (I think) Availability: MUFE counters are at Sephora Malaysia but I get mine online at StrawberryNET.com Lipstick Bandits Vamp it up for the Fall Winter Season (aff)

Musing on Beauty November 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Beautiful! I need to explore this range, I’ve never tried any of the MUFE lipsticks!

November 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thank you Mariella! This is only the 2nd time I’m trying a lip product from MUFE

November 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I don’t know what you’re talking about, this lipstick looking stark on fair skin. You look gorgeous!
Lily recently blogged…Sunday Sharing: The Makeup Box That Is My Birthday GiftMy Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Haha thank you Lily :) It does look a bit stark but I suppose stark in a good way ;)

Kailey November 19, 2012 at 10:44 pm

That shade looks brilliant on you! xo
Kailey recently blogged…Rainbow NailsMy Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thank you Kailey! :D

Hanny Daforcena
November 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Ok… My MUFE fascination has increased again… But it’ll have to hold for about two more weeks HAH HAH. I wonder how many decibels Mama Daforcena will reach when she sees me buying this or even wearing this… Anyone wanna bet?
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…Ooops! Another Long-Delayed Review: Nars New Wave Palette for Fall 2012 (Warning: Picture Heavy post!)My Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm

LOL This colour is so up your alley, eh Hanny? ;) Its a much prettier colour than it looks so your Mama may not be as shocked as you imagine she will be ;)

Sunny
November 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

You looks gorgeous with this, Paris! I’m a bit scared of lipsticks that could settle or cling onto flakes, so I might have to pass. I get what you say about the weather too. As much as I love red lipsticks, I can’t envision wearing them in summer!

November 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank you Sunny :) Lipstick that clings to lips are a problem, I agree which is why I have to ensure my lips are smooth whenever I want to wear this one. I’ve taken to wearing a lot of bright reds lately. Seems to suit the weather :D

Tracy November 20, 2012 at 12:12 am

You look gorgeous in this shade Paris! I love it! It’s such a great wine shade which I kind of need!

November 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you Tracy! Wine – perfect description for it – a sparkly wine.

Sandra November 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

You look stunning!!

How come, that whenever I want to do a vampy lip, I end up looking gothic? Nothing wrong with gothic TBH, but I would love to make it work.

November 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Hi Sandra, thank you :) For myself, I find that going with a deep red as opposed to a plum or purple lipstick is more flattering for me, and less gothic. Perhaps try that or a lipstick that pulls more red? :)

Sandra November 21, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Good idea, thank you!

Camy November 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

sexy lips you have ;)

November 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Haha thank you! ;)

Claire November 20, 2012 at 1:26 am

love the last picture! you look like a happy vamp ;) the colour looks beautiful on you, I am afraid it will pull more mauve than berry on me :( since I am not that scared of shimmer on my lips anymore, this one would be something different than all the other vamps I have. great post!
Claire recently blogged…Addiction Lipstick ConfitureMy Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:35 pm

“happy vamp” LOL That’s me! Can’t do serious – I’m scary when I’m serious :P Hope you get to check this out at the counter some time. It looks very deep in the tube but I found it surprisingly easy to handle :)

Marla November 20, 2012 at 1:39 am

I’ve been using MUFE Rouge Artist Natural lipsticks for sometime now and love them. I’ll have to take a peek at these also.

November 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ooh I have one of those and its great to know that you like it too. I haven’t quite made my mind up about those yet :)

Larie November 20, 2012 at 1:45 am

Oooh, Paris! This shade is really different, I like it! And LOL at you quaking in your flipflops. You look stunning :P
Larie recently blogged…Go Forth, Be Vamp-eh!My Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thank you Larie :D Yes, I actually quaked in my flipflops haha haven’t pulled out a dark lip in ages, what with all the sun we’re getting.

Wojis November 20, 2012 at 2:33 am

I do love this color on you I must say, very nice. But it does like the pigmentation is a bit off, or the texture is not right. It looks great on your hand but it looks like it doesn’t cover very well on the lips. But still…. LOVE the color on you.

November 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thank you Wojis, and yes, on lips that are a bit more flakey, it doesn’t apply as evenly. My lips weren’t in tip top condition when I did this post but I didn’t have the time to re take the pictures so it does show you how the status of your lips can affect how the lipstick goes on. Glad you noticed! :D

Jeneille November 20, 2012 at 2:50 am

Lippie looks gorgeous on you! And I love your hair!

November 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thank you Jeneille, you’re very sweet! :D

Rae // theNotice
November 20, 2012 at 4:15 am

Oh, my!! I think you were the only Bandit to pick a “frost,” but I love this on you — gorgeous and luminescent, without actually reading as frosty or pearly.

Great pick, darling! :)
Rae // theNotice recently blogged…The Lipstick Bandits | A drugstore vampy lip with Revlon Super Lustrous in Sultry Sable (and Annabelle Le Gloss in Bitten)My Profile

November 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Aww thank you Rae! I haven’t had the chance to go round the blogs yet, but I guess I’m a sparkly vamp? LOL!

Jessica November 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

I love how subtle this frost is! I was a bit nervous when you photographed the product in the tube, but on the lips it translates to a magnificent subtly frosted deep cranberry.

How stunning–excellent pick!
? Jessica

November 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thank you Jessica :) It is quite a surprising colour that I think will look quite different on people depending on how pigmented their lips are

LeGeeque November 20, 2012 at 8:17 am

That’s a great colour – I love the micro shimmers. Vamp is great especially for shorter and cooler days. What about the Guerlain one from last Christmas? I almost wore it today but it just seemed wrong on a sunny day.

November 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I was about to pick either the Guerlain one from last Christmas or Dior Black Tie. Both are extremely lovely but definitely more suited for the evening or cooler weather. That said, its raining now and the sky is dark. I’m sure that qualifies :P

Rocaille
November 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

The shimmer is just beautiful in this one and I think it looks perfect on you, Paris :)

November 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

xiao
November 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

You look awesome, Paris! I actually love the stark contrast of fair-skinned girls who wear dark lipstick (from an ahem unbiased perspective).

November 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Thanks Xiao :) I like the contrast too if it’s not too gothicy but I know of people who find it troubling :P
Paris B recently blogged…Not quite New : REN Skincare is back and they brought us new stuff!My Profile

Issa November 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Love the color on you! It suits you so well :)

November 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Makeup Morsels November 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

hahahha why Paris, I didn’t even know it was possible to quake in flip flops! And no idea what the quaking was about, I think this looks beautiful on you :) Gotta give that MUFE lipstick range a test drive one of these days…
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…Another Chapter in the Lipstick Bandit Adventures | Things Get VampyMy Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Lol yes you can, it’s just noisier than quaking in boots :D thanks MM

beetrice
November 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I just stopped and gawped at the first photo….that is one lovely colour! :) Looks good on you too – don’t see why fair girls can’t carry off dark colours, just depends on the effect you’re going for :D

November 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Bee :) in tube, the shimmer is really gorgeous but some may find it a bit frosty. Still, who cares what others think eh? ;)

dani November 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

So pretty! And look at all that pretty sparkle!
dani recently blogged…The Bandit Is A Vamp…My Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you Dani!

Becca
November 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm

You are ROCKING that lippy shade, Paris! And with the short hair and the black top (dress? Can’t see the whole thing :P), it looks both edgy AND sophisticated. Love it! :)
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Becca Mineral Blush in Sweetpea Review & SwatchesMy Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Thank you Becca! I was waiting for someone to call me out on the messy hair lol! Glad you think it’s edgy instead ;)

Jyoan November 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I guessed Guerlain Christmas! Because I know it has those obvious shimmers when seen in tube. But I knew Guerlain is at least two shades deeper than this. But it is the only shimmer in tube one that I know exists.

haha, glad to know MUFE has one too.

November 24, 2012 at 12:10 am

I was planning to use Guerlain’s Lou Ling but didn’t get it in time for this assignment. Did you get that one? It’s so pretty!

Jyoan November 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm

No, skipped it. But you’re making me wish I had!

I normally skip reds because I know for sure I wouldn’t wear it. It doesn’t goes with the mood of my workplace, and I very personally also grow up disliking the colour red.

The “best” part about me not being into red lips is that people tell me I am meant for red!

I am desperately trying to keep my stash of reds as low as possible since lipsticks will turn bad. I have less than five reds, and I think still think it is so much that I will never ever finish. haha, just can’t help buying a red occasionally because it is one colour that never fails to look pretty in tube.

mrsdjones
November 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Wow! Gorgeous color! I must try out MUFE lipstick soon! Now anxiously waiting for my first Rouge d’Armani! I blame u for this :p

November 29, 2012 at 11:54 pm

But but I haven’t even reviewed Rouge d’Armani yet! ;) (love it by the way, I hope you love yours too!!)