Tip: Wash your new makeup brushes before first use

in Brushes etc.,Discussions,Tips

Come on, let’s have a show of hands who does this already?

Do you wash your new makeup brushes before first using them?

wash brushes Tip: Wash your new makeup brushes before first use

I always make it a point to for basic cleanliness concerns, the same way I wash my new clothes before wearing them.

The primary reason is : You do not know where your brushes have been.

Yes they look new and pristine in their plastic packs, but really, do you know just where they have been? You don’t. They could have been lying in a box in some storeroom, or in a factory somewhere and you just don’t know what or who has been all over them.

I sometimes find that when I wash my brushes the first time, there might be some colour bleed or some stray bristles will fall out. Washing takes care of that initial fall out, so you don’t have to spend too much time picking off stray bristles from your face when you start using the brushes. I also sometimes get a glue smell from new brushes, that go away after the first wash.

I also just feel its cleaner, knowing I’ve washed them, before putting them near my face. Its a personal quirk icon smile Tip: Wash your new makeup brushes before first use

I use Johnson’s Baby Shampoo to wash my brushes and its served me well thus far icon smile Tip: Wash your new makeup brushes before first use

So do you wash your makeup brushes before first using them? If you don’t, will you? icon wink Tip: Wash your new makeup brushes before first use

Rainy Days & Lattes May 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

Johnson’s Baby shampoo? What a great idea! i admit I don’t always wash them first but your personal quirk has encouraged me to think otherwise :)

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Yeah its worth thinking about eh? ;) I like using baby shampoo – smells lovely too!

LeGeeque May 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

I use J&J baby shampoo too! Pour some into a cup, add water, lather and swirl my brushes in them :)

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Yay! *high 5*

S May 10, 2011 at 8:46 am

Yes I definitely wash my brushes before using them! I normally use facial cleansers that come with GWPs because I’m cheap like that! =p
S recently blogged…Farewell my HG Conditioner- Wellas WellazidMy Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

That’s a great idea! If it works for our faces, it’ll work for our brushes yes? ;)

Jess May 10, 2011 at 8:57 am

Yes, I always wash my new brushes thoroughly before I start using them on my face! ;)
Jess recently blogged…Dior Addict Lipstick 652 TangoMy Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh goody! I’m not alone! ;)

stephy May 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

Wow….finally u got Sigma brushes already? =)
stephy recently blogged…For Lips- Dior Addict Lipstick 579 Must-HaveMy Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Yup! I picked up a few – a blush brush and eye brushes :)

Hanny
May 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oooo!! Thanks for reminding me!! ^.^
Hanny recently blogged…OMG! It’s finally here!My Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Timely eh? ;)

Iza May 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

Paris, the natural bristles used by Sigma brushes what are they? Have to make sure its ‘halal’ for me before I order :-)

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m sorry dear, I have no idea as its not stated. Perhaps their site will help you? Although I can’t find info there either. Maybe best to stick to the synthetic brushes if in doubt :) http://www.sigmabeauty.com/

iffazainal May 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Iza, I emailed Sigma in April last year regarding this matter and this was their reply.

“Thank you for your email. All of our brushes are handmade, and the majority of bristles that we use are made of goat hair. Sigma Makeup will be launching an all synthetic line of brushes in approximately two months to better fit those customers who prefer using non-animal products. Thank you and please let us know if you have any other questions.”

I’m interested in their brushes too, but still holding on.
iffazainal recently blogged…STILA PALETTE UP FOR GRABS!!!!My Profile

Cynthia May 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

I always wash my brushes weekly using my Liquid Neutrogena. I don’t have any JnJ shampoo, so I guess it’s mild enough for my brush bristle. So how’s Sigma brushes?
Cynthia recently blogged…Review- Etude House Hand Bouquet Rich Butter Hand CreamMy Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I find the eye brushes very good thus far. Face brushes are just so-so in my view. Will have reviews coming up soon :)

shuaddict
May 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

I use J&J too but don’t wash my brushes as often as recommended. I also sometimes don’t even wash new brushes … if they feel … sorta .. clean. Oopsie :)
shuaddict recently blogged…Swissotel The Stamford in SingaporeMy Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

heh I always wash new brushes, but I tend to cycle my brushes so I don’t wash them as often as I should. Usually once every 2 weeks or so :)

synical
May 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

I wash mine before first use for to get the colour bleed out.

I’m between using this makeup sponge detergent from Daiso (pink bottle – works great for RM5) and whatever sample cleansing oil I have lying around. Learnt the hard way that dish washing liquid is a little too much for makeup brushes :P
synical recently blogged…World Bloggers & Social Media Summit 2011My Profile

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I have that Daiso detergent too! Cleans brushes a treat but not something I particularly like very much. I tried using cleansing oil on my brushes but they don’t wash out very well and I was afraid of having residue left on them.

xin
May 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

same! i will wash everything before i use :P of coz, except for shoes

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

HAHA! Better not wash shoes that shouldn’t be washed!

Esther May 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

OMG, you just alerted me that I should wash my makeup brushes :P I normally don’t wash them before I first use them, ok ok, I will start washing my new brushes from now onwards :) And thanks for the tip on using J&J baby shampoo. Cos I normally use a puff cleanser $2SGD from Daiso.

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Timely reminder! ;) I have also tried using that Daiso cleanser but its not my No. 1 choice. I still go back to J&J :)

Nikki May 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

Yes on washing new brushes before use, at times you can actually see the dirt coming out! Imagine how dirty is that to put it on your face?

ParisB May 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I know!! I haven’t seen dirt coming out of my new brushes, but I have seen them bleed out and shed.

lynne May 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I didn’t use to wash new brushes when I first started using makeup. But recently I’ve become more diligent when it comes to washing my brushes so I’ve taken to washing any new brush over the weekend together with the others I’ve used during the week before I start using them. My skin hasn’t been behaving so well lately (probably due to a combination of hormones, work stress and schedule) so any little precaution must be taken to prevent it from worsening!

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

That’s good practice :) When I put any brushes to wash, I always include every other unwashed one to save time.

Issa May 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

actually, i don’t wash new brushes before but after being a regular reader of Miss Nikki’s blog (Askmewhats) i now do wash them before use! thanks to you beauty bloggers out there because I learn so much from you guys! mwah! :)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

Aww Nikki is a fount of information! :D I’m glad you have taken away some good practices from blogs :D

Stephanie/Yukaeshi May 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I do wash all my brushes before I use them too! But I use MAC’s Brush Cleanser. Maybe I should try using J&J shampoo :P Can’t use cleansing oils either because they leave residue on the brushes :\

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:32 am

I haven’t used MAC’s brush cleanser but I prefer to use a brush cleanser for in-between washings and use a shampoo otherwise. I only use J&J coz its cheap and it works lol!

Jytan May 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm

OMG!!!! Sigma!!! ?~~

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:32 am

yep? ;)

Monstro May 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oh. I don’t remember doing that. My first use must have seen me rubbing nasty stuff all over my face–LOL! Thanks for the tip!!! When I do wash my brushes, I use Cetaphil.

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

Actually, we could just use anything within reach eh? I reckon if its safe for our faces, its safe for our brushes ;) And time to put washing new brushes into practice young lady! :P

Denise
May 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

*raises hand* Even though I’m excited to use them, I wash new brushes first! Can’t risk a breakout or have some bacteria or other nasties near the face. And I use J&J too! A nice big squirt of that and a small squirt of antibac soap. Lather rise, dry! Plus I use some olive oil on my natural bristle brushes to condition. :0
Denise recently blogged…To all the Awesome Moms out thereMy Profile

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yay good girl! ;) I haven’t tried using olive oil on my brushes though – maybe I should try that, although I don’t have many natural bristle brushes.

Amanda May 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I lately just purchase lot of sigma brush also, the full set pretty purple handle and the synthetic one :D. I also wash them 3 times before use it coz it’s kinda stink, but for the synthetic bristle I only wash it once.
I found out wash it with dishwasher soap is more effective but I dont feel it’s good for my brush, so I switch to J&J but I dont feel its very effective :( . I bought MAC cleanser but its very expensive to use everyday.
Anyway I agree with you NEED to wash it before use it for the first time, and dont forget spot cleansing for every after use ;)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

I tend to slip on the spot cleaning after use because I’m always in a rush in the mornings, heh… that might be why I keep a few brushes on hand so I can rotate LOL! I have read about people using dishwashing liquid to wash their brushes. If its a synthetic brush, its probably alright, if the dishwashing liquid is properly diluted. But if its a natural bristle brush, I personally would not do it because dishwashing liquid can be very abrasive. My rule of thumb is – if I can’t use it on my hair or face, its not going on my brushes! :)

diane May 10, 2011 at 11:20 pm

i wash my brushes before first use…kinda scary not too… :)
And i try to wash my brushes every so often using cleansing oil or with my facial wash :)
The cleansing oil makes the brushes soft and easy to use after…

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

Great to know that using cleansing oil works for you :) I find it works to get rid of cream products but I always get an oily feel thereafter so I prefer not to use cleansing oil :)

Elle Linda June 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’m kinda ‘naive-stupid’ person when it comes to using/applying make up brushes, ya know…=P
Poor me but i really wanna consider getting some of them , especially foundation, concealer, blusher and eye-shadow brushes (for a start)..

1) Any differences between goat-hair and synthetic type of brushes?
2) The recommended brushes for a beginner like me?? (not that pricey but still gives good coverage on the face). MAC is quite pricey, I think..
3) The ones sold at SASA, Shins, Etude, face shop, ets…are they good enough?

Help me ladies…Thanks…=)

Lyn September 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Hi Elle,

Have you got your aswer? Just in case, you haven’t got any answer, suggest you to purchase any make up classes offered on group-on… those with tools provided during class… there you can learn all basic things on make up and you can buy the tools there after learning which right one suitaible for you.. That would be better than trial and error from so many different brands in the market.. Price are reasonable too…