Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

in BB Cream,Eyeshadow,Foundation,Highlighter,Makeup,Tips

’tis the season to be sparkly… fa la la la la la la la la … icon biggrin Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

You know, how often have you wanted to apply a highlighting or illuminating product, but are loathe to buy a whole tube or bottle or tub or pot, just for that one special occasion? Then, you realise you either don’t like it, or the one special occasion passes and you never use it again. Not many of us do the whole contour and highlight thing day in and day out. Well, unless you’re a celebrity or work at a makeup counter or just have your face out there all the time. I can tell you I most certainly don’t!

So, instead of wasting your money on huge tub, tube, pot or bottle of liquid or cream highlighter, or if you are just experimenting, here’s a very handy dandy tip I learned from Dior International Makeup Artist Junior Cedeno back in Summer 2013, to make your own highlighter! He taught me another handy dandy tip for foundation application that I shared too which is brilliant!

diy cream highlighter2 Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

Junior taught me using the Diorsnow BB Creme (which I love!) but I’m going to show you that you can also use it with other BB Creams or concealer or even liquid foundation.

What you need is a liquid foundation, concealer or BB Cream and a golden shimmer product like a golden eyeshadow, be it cream or powder. Now, let the magic happen! icon biggrin Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

diy cream highlighter Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

1. Put a dollop of your foundation, bb cream or concealer on the back of your hand.
  2. Take a dollop of your golden eyeshadow and put it on the back of your hand. If you are using a powder eyeshadow, then place the base on your hand, then use your finger and rub the gold eyeshadow so you have a lot of product on your finger.
  3. Blend the gold eyeshadow with your base. Depending on how much product you put, you will end up with something highly shimmery or less shimmery. Use as much or as little product as you like to achieve the effect you want.

I like to use my fingers for this because it’s just easier, plus you already have all your product on your finger. Take a thin layer of product and pat it on your skin where you want to place your highlighter. My illustration below shows you where I put it and how subtle it looks.

diy cream highlighter application Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

I usually apply a dab under my eye area, which helps brighten the area. Also, a dab on my cheekbones to give the illusion of lift, and if you like draw a strip down the middle of your nose to give the illusion of a higher nose.

Be sure to blend it all out nicely.

The beauty about using a base product is that the highlighter will blend in with your skin and not just sit on the top of your skin making you look oily and shiny. The golden shimmer will deliver the “highlight” and the effect is a lot more natural and more “glow from within” than if you were to use a separate highlighter because the base is in fact, foundation or concealer or bb cream which therefore offers some coverage too.

So, if you want to experiment with using a highlighter or just want a one-off use of highligher, don’t go wasting your money buying a product you may not use often. Just use this little trick. Ever since I discovered it, I’ve had no use for any other highlighter or illuminator! icon biggrin Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

Money saving tip and beauty tip all in one – tell me you love me bwahahahaha! icon biggrin Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

Will you try this handy tip for making your own highlighter or illuminator? Do you use a highlighter regularly or just on occasion or are you just afraid of using it in general?

Try experimenting with different shades of gold and different textures. Some end up a bit glittery some have more subtle shimmer. Mix and match depending on the effect you’re looking for and enjoy! icon biggrin Tip: Make your own cream highlighter or illuminating cream and save money!

Firn December 24, 2013 at 8:44 am

Haha I just apply some Shiseido Multi-Defense UV protector instead. Blends like a dream and goes on colourless. The more emollient base adds to the sheen. Your idea is great for evenings where I need more coverage and highlight at the same time.

December 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Wow your sunscreen acts as a highlighter? Even better! :D Yeah, if you use this for evenings, then you can go with something more shimmery although I found that this doesn’t leave my skin as shimmery/bright as a regular highlighter would :)

liyeun December 24, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hhhmmmm interesting. I need to try this, with a nice gold colour or course. I hope practice makes perfect, just a lil’ worried it will look too uneven for me… hehehe…oh btw does the glow stay after touch ups?
liyeun recently blogged…1st Month Anniversary – Win My 1st Giveaway!!!My Profile

December 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Would be interesting to know how you like it! It won’t be uneven if you blend it out the way you blend out concealer or a foundation :) You can pat it on then use a brush and blend it out and voila! I don’t touch up though so I can’t tell you but generally, it holds up very well and looks very natural :)

Dain December 24, 2013 at 9:15 am

i am sooo going to try this trick. have been on highlighter-hunting for the past few weeks and so glad that you shared this. ;)
Dain recently blogged…Pink Romance and Don’t TellMy Profile

December 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Do let me know how you like it Dain :) It’s very subtle which is why I like it and I can control the amount of glitter there is in the product :)

Tracy December 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

SO doing this. Most of the highlighters got glitter and emphasize my smile wrinkles! This way I can control the shine! Brilliant!
Tracy recently blogged…Why Hello MAC Heroine Lipstick! I’m So Glad We Finally MetMy Profile

December 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Would love to know if you like the effect Tracy :) You’re right. I do find that the highlighters out there do tend to be a bit too bling for my liking so this subtle effect was really nice :)

December 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi Paris, I do something similar myself! Instead of using a concealer, I prefer using a light coverage foundation. I find that it works better on my skin. Concealer or BB cream will feel a little heavier on – RMK liquid foundation works great!
Lily recently blogged…Urban Decay Smoked Look Book 3 Smouldering & 4 MatteMy Profile

minibear December 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi Lily, you must be the biggest fan of mywomenstuff? Me too! I follow both of you and this blog and I seem to be reading many mirror topics on your blog. Merry Christmas to you!

December 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Good idea using a light foundation. I would use the BB Cream/Concealer in place of the regular concealer so it’s not too thick too :)

xin
December 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

love this tip! instead of buying a whole tube and wasting it coz it’s only used like once in a year, this can be easily done with all the stuff at home.
xin recently blogged…On the Christmas’ Eve…it is for Flashback 2013!My Profile

December 24, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Exactly! That’s what I’ve been doing and I’m glad I never fell for a full tube/tub of highlighter. Would have been such a waste!

sataa December 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

wow thanks for sharing this DIY !!! it came at perfect time I was thinking of buying a highlighter I have never used them before but after watching all YT gurus using it I wanted to try it too now I will make my own first and see whether it looks good on my skin or not

December 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hi Sataa, ah this is a great way to try and see if you like the effect before splurging on a highlighter :D At least it’ll save you some money – do let me know how it goes for you!

LeGeeque December 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I better go dig out my Benefit High Beam and see if it’s gone rancid. Sigh. Great tip! No more buying highlighters!

December 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Eh I’ve heard so much about how wonderful High Beam is but I’ve never used it! :P Now I guess I don’t have to anymore right? ;)

Sunny
December 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Oh what a sweet tip! I love you!

I highlight often enough, but it is still the step I could skip if I had to skip something. I have a small tube of Becca Opal from a set, and that is my favorite liquid highlighter. Otherwise I’m still very much in love with the one from Chanel spring :)
Sunny recently blogged…We Wish You a Merry Christmas from the Mostly Sunny Headquarters!My Profile

December 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Aww I love you too Sunny! :D I hardly use any highlighters at all to be honest. Sometimes I do when it’s a special occasion but those are so few and far between!

gio December 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm

What a great tip! I am so trying it!
gio recently blogged…New Collection: Giorgio Armani Eccentrico Holiday 2013My Profile

December 29, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Do share if you found it helpful, Gio! I’d love to know how others take to it :)

S. Drama&Makeup December 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I really like highlighters but I was just thinking that I’d like a golder one. I saw Charlotte Tilbury’s one and it looks great but it’s so expensive and I’d had to buy it online without swatching it before. So I’m definitely giving this a try :)

December 29, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Ooh was it the Gold Bar one? It looks so intriguing and I think a golden highlighter against your skin would be absolutely gorgeous! I’ve seen so many pictures of the Charlotte Tilbury one around but I’d also read that some people found it powdery and chunky. In the meantime, maybe this tip can help bridge that want hehe… ;)

summer December 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm

you look flawless and glowing!!

December 29, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Efrain
December 25, 2013 at 5:27 am

I also do that, however the most impressive way to highlight your face in my opinion is when using a luminous primer before foundation, because skin looks bright but not like you had applied something. I even used this trick when using Studio Fix Powder that makes my skin look super flat, but with primer my skin looked radiant; however I haven’t used this trick a lot since my skin can’t handle using primers more than one day in a row (the primer that I used was the sample of Burberry’s one that you gave me).

So as you might discovered I haven’t bought a luminous primer, until I find one with a few silicones.
Efrain recently blogged…Cuidados cosméticos para dummies.My Profile

December 29, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for the tip Efrain :) It’s a good idea layering an illuminator under foundation for a more subtle glow :)

Jess December 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Great way to save money! Btw your lipstick color caught my attention, what are you using :)

December 29, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Hey Jess I think it was the Clinique Grandest Grape pencil. I think! LOL Sorry can’t quite remember >.<