9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum – Meet the odd one out!

in Product Reviews,Serum,Treatment

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On August 29, 2013
Last modified:August 29, 2013

Summary:

I was talking to a friend last week and was quite incredulous when told that said friend used to think “LOL” stood for “Lots of Love”. I honestly, hand on heart, believed it was an urban myth! A joke popularised by the internet, but nope. Here was someone telling me in all seriousness that was what they believed. I didn’t know what to say… except LOL

But I can tell you, hand on heart, that this product did not get any LOL from me. Neither love, nor laughter.

clarins double serum4 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

I have to be quite careful with this one because I know it’s very popular with the beauty netizens, so I might get crucified. It was launched first in Asia last year and thereafter in Europe. The buzz was incredible. Here was a product that promised that you’d look younger and have better skin almost immediately. The effects were said to be instantaneous. You could and should expect to see a lovely glow to the skin the next morning.

Nope, nope and nope! 9 out of 10 women may have found this more effective than their usual serum. 94% may have had their wrinkles reduced and have more even skintone. 100% found their skin was more elastic. That makes me wonder where that leaves me.

I am that 1 woman in 10 who is sitting on the sidelines clutching on to my usual serum. I am that 6% who did not experience a more even skintone and I am that 0% <- how is this possible, statisticians?!?!  who found no change to their skin elasticity. How can?!

But I tried. I gave it a year. That’s one freaking YEAR to decide if I’d like this serum. Know what? It made no difference. I still don’t like it and I don’t think it does anything for me. Let’s talk about it anyway, because I know many people have tried it and many people do love it. If you do, please do speak up – LOL icon razz 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

clarins double serum2 2 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

What this serum is, is an anti-aging serum. This is the newest incarnation of Clarins’ concentrated serum to target anti-aging. Their earlier versions were targeted at women with more matured skin. I was told it was primarily targeted at those 40 and above. All well and good. I like that there are skincare made for women with more matured skin because we don’t stay young forever, and when you are a certain age and you have different skin concerns, a product meant for a sweet young 25 year old just won’t cut it. You need something more.

But Clarins decided they wanted to make things younger. Introduce this to the young crowd, so the Double Serum Complete Age Control Concentrate can be used “as a preventative measure” from the 20-somethings and up. I don’t know, maybe I’ve left my 20s for too long, or my skin just wants to remind me I’m no longer in the 20-something category.

On paper, this was a promising product. The bottle is cleverly separated into 2 halves, with one half containing an oil and the other, a water based compound. It claims to contain loads of anti-aging ingredients and works to boost hydration, radiance, plump up lines, fight stress, pollution… is there anything else this wonder serum can’t do?

Instead of having 2 pumps, as they did before, the new design cleverly integrates the 2 halves of the bottle so you are guaranteed the perfect “Golden Ratio” of product every time. 80% serum, 20% oil.

clarins double serum 2 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

This is what it looks like when you pump it out. The golden honey colour gel-like product is the hydric system while the clear bit around it is the oil or lipids. You then mix it all up in the palm of your hand and apply to your skin.

If you fear using oils, then this was made for you because the combination of product ensures that this one is never oily. The golden ratio of oil to water allows it to absorb into your skin without it once feeling greasy or sticky or oily. They didn’t mention filmy. That’s how it felt to me. I feel like there is a film on my skin every time I apply this. It wasn’t terribly unpleasant but I did notice it. No one else mentions it however so maybe they aren’t as sensitive.

Another thing is the scent. This one is heavily perfumed with a fruity smell that I find far too strong and far too sweet. No, again. No LOL icon razz 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

I was told that most women found an almost immediate lift and radiance to their skin the next morning after using this serum. I didn’t. Now, I recognise an immediate effect when I see one. The Estee Lauder ANR2 does give me that next-morning glow. I didn’t experience it with this serum.

clarins double serum3 2 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

Let us just say that I experienced nothing using this serum. My nose was assaulted by the strong scent every night, and my skin with that filmy texture that I didn’t like. I didn’t break out nor experienced any adverse reactions but this is just one of those things that you try, try hard to like and just fail.

I like Clarins products generally (except their whitening range but then I don’t like most whitening ranges in most brands) and I really like their Hydraquench range for skin hydration. This Double Serum may have been their biggest discovery in 30 years and it may come highly raved by many but I’ll skip it. It’s far too pricey a product to do just nothing.

In a nutshell

A highly raved, much touted anti-aging serum from Clarins that did nothing for me. No glow, no radiance. Fragrance is too strong and the product left a film  on my skin I was not comfortable with.

Pros: Handy bottle, Not sticky

Cons: Pricey, Did nothing for my skin, Leave a film on my skin, Fragrance is too sweet and too strong

Who will like this: I’m not sure, but don’t take my word for it because I am just 1/10

Here is the ingredient list for anyone interested.

clarins double serum ingredients 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

As with all skincare, take my view with a pinch of salt. As I said, I am but 1/10 women who did not love this one to the moon and back. I couldn’t even use up a significant amount as you can tell from the bottle, simply because it just did nothing. I went back to my Estee Lauder ANR (previous version) and I found my skin looked better. I knew then that there was no point in my continuing to slather my skin with a product that does nothing, when I could slather it in a product that does everything right. Sorry Clarins, better luck next time.

Have you tried the Double Serum and do you love it?

I’d love to know if it works for you. After all, 9/10 women would replace their serums with this one. So using the odds, if 10 of us have tried it, I should expect a 9/10 ratio telling me I’m so wrong about this, I should be flogged. L-O-L icon razz 9 out of 10 women love the Clarins Double Serum   Meet the odd one out!

Clarins Double Serum (Complete Age Control Concentrate)  Price: RM280/30ml Availability: Clarins counters and Skin Spa

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Esther August 29, 2013 at 8:55 am

Perhaps the 9 other users have anti aging problems to target thus they see results. Anti aging products is more of a preventive than cure so no harm if u keep using it also but the price tag is really ouchie.

August 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I don’t know Esther. Maybe people are less sensitive than I am? LOL! But yeah, I don’t expect to see results, only when I’m told that I should. Perhaps if they had not said I should expect a next morning glow, I might have been less critical ;)

Sarah August 29, 2013 at 8:59 am

I am a 25 year old with oily skin. I did experience the promised effect of more luminous skin immediately the night after I used the double serum. And I personally love the smell! I find it very soothing.

However, using it every day caused me to start to develop pimples. So now I just use it about 3x a week. I think it makes a difference? Personally, I still love my SK-II facial treatment essence more! I can use that every day.

August 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Good to know it works for you Sarah, but the breaking out bit isn’t much fun! I may be wrong but I believe the SK2 FTE would be a toner that you use daily regardless, before serum?

Phay August 29, 2013 at 9:03 am

I am also in the 1/10 group … LOL. The serum just didn’t get to absorb into my skin and a thick film covered my face for the whole night! Too bad.

August 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm

LOL!! Thanks for joining me in my little corner Phay! ;) I feel the same way you do.

August 29, 2013 at 9:27 am

I was really curious about this serum, and have been wanting to try it… but I’ve had such great experiences with Dior and Estee Lauder that I’m a little reluctant. After reading your review, I’m even MORE reluctant. Haha! So, thanks for being that one out of ten. It’s always refreshing to read something negative when everyone else is going ga ga over it.
Lily recently blogged…Empties For June to AugustMy Profile

casey23 August 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

You should also read Caroline Hirons’ post about this serum! :)

August 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Haha! I have had good luck so far with Dior and EL too but I didn’t expect this one to be that disappointing. Ah well, can’t please 10/10 I guess haha!

Angelina August 29, 2013 at 9:33 am

It doesn’t work for me at all. I find it too oily and sticky for my liking. After using it for a week or so, I started to develop pimples. I don’t experience that with other anti – aging serums. I prefer other anti – aging serums because it is easily absorbed, it doesn’t give me breakouts and most importantly, it does what it claims. This Clarins Double Serum doesn’t make the cut in all aspects (my aspects, that is).

August 29, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Oh goody, I’m not alone! I don’t break out but the texture and smell just doesn’t cut it for me. What’s your other anti-aging serum that you like then? :)

liann August 29, 2013 at 9:44 am

definitely love it. but then again, you are right! i suspect this product is made for the younger crowd. i am only in my late 20s. and it works perfectly well for me. i don’t see it being a real anti-aging serum but more of a multi tasking one. good for those who are just starting to use a serum.

August 29, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for standing up for the 9/10 Liann hehe… Glad to know it’s working for you!

Victoria August 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

This products certainly gets a lot of raves in magazines as it is always in their Best Beauty Buys for 2013. LOL. To be fair, I have only used it for 3 days in a row from the samples given to me and I don’t think it gave me any glow. I achieve the glow effect from using the older version of ANR after just 1 night of usage. I think as some readers were saying, this serum is meant for those in their 20s instead of 30s. I believe even my Midnight Recovery Concentrate gives a much better result than this serum. After your review on ANR 2, I am saving to buy it before the end of the year :-)

August 29, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Ah yeah. So many raves for this one everywhere to be honest. Everyone seems to love it, no one hates it. Well, except me, but then I’m always bucking the trend aren’t I? ;) Like you, when I went back to ANR my skin looked better and thats when I realised I just better stick to something I know that works rather than mess about with one that doesn’t :)

Sarah August 29, 2013 at 10:33 am

For something so pricey, I’m surprised to see mineral oil as the third ingredient!

Have not tried this, but I am keen to try their exfoliating toner.

August 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I did notice that too! I’m not generally fussed about it (as in I don’t hold much of an opinion either way) but it certainly doesn’t bode well eh?

Jo August 29, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I also found this product a bit meh. Didn’t do anything for my skin. But I did like the scent though. Finally managed after my struggle to finish the product.

August 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Whew! It’s comforting to know I’m not alone in not liking it, Jo :) I guess I’m so used to delicate scents in products that having this one assault my nose was quite something!

Parita August 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I hate fruity strong smells..perhaps thats enough for me to not to give it a try! I am almost few months away from being 30 and still dont feel anti ageing products doing anything special for my skin :( i have tried couple of samples of EL ANR but it just didnt give me any glow or anything the next morning….having read your review on the new version of ANR I might give it a try but will first get a sample..i hope they are giving samples for the newer version as well…
have even tried Clarin’s Lotus Oil which is specifically meant for Combination to oily skin..but nothing..na da :( I am actually confused if I should invest in anti ageing products or not
Parita recently blogged…Teal and Purple Smokey Eyes Tutorial & FOTDMy Profile

August 29, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Ah that’s the thing about anti-aging products Parita. I don’t think they’re supposed to “do” anything. If you have fine lines or more dulled skin which happens as we grow older, then an anti-aging serum can help your skin look better – smoother, more plumped, better hydration and add a glow. Sometimes the latter isn’t so noticeable to us because we see ourselves everyday, but it might make a difference in the long run. But I always say to give your skin what it needs. Perhaps your skin just isn’t aging as quickly so you don’t need one just yet. The Clarins oil isn’t so much of a serum as a treatment, I feel. Have you tried the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate? I usually ask people to try that first, because it’s comfortable and does give a lot of benefit to the skin in the long run, plus it tends to last quite a while too :)

Parita August 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I have been wanting to try Kiehl’s from a long time..would you suggest Midnight Recovery over EL ANR?
Parita recently blogged…Teal and Purple Smokey Eyes Tutorial & FOTDMy Profile

September 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm

It’s hard for me to say Parita. For a standalone serum, I’d pick the ANR2 for better efficacy. For someone on a budget who may not have as much concerns as that addressed by ANR then the MRC works. I love them together if you’ve read about my magic glow potion on the blog, but MRC goes a longer way. Ultimately it comes down to what you need and what you may prefer. I’d personally pick ANR2 over MRC at this point.

Sam Bear August 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm

My goodness! I feel like this on almost every raved about product I’ve ever tried! Do you think maybe they fake the numbers a little bit to get the 9/10 rating? I’ve been telling my mum to buy the Estee Lauder ANR 2 but she’s been reluctant to try something new lol – I’ll probably get a bottle of it for her birthday!
Sam Bear recently blogged…Review: The Face Shop Pore clean Cleansing OilMy Profile

August 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Hahaha I don’t know Sam! It would be interesting if someone did an expose some day eh? Maybe they felt 10/10 was reaching too high :P I personally love the ANR2 but maybe get your mom a sample first and see if she likes it :D

casey23 August 29, 2013 at 3:53 pm

That “filmy” stuff you’re feeling is paraffin :( When I’m reading all the blogs, I don’t just read and learn for myself but I also want to learn for my mother. She never takes care of her skin so I do it for her! I do remember your first post about this serum, actually I have a folder in my mailbox and I kept it there later to test for my mom. but after seeing the ingredients list and reading Caroline Hirons’ post, I passed it. My mom has a very oily and loads of big pores.
You did mention that this is the biggest discovery of Clarins for the past 30 years. LOL! :) But I should also state that I find Lancome’s soooooo raved sooooo loved Visionnaire serum very very useless, too… And it was also as they mentioned “a work of 20 years” (Ok don’t throw tomatoes!)

August 29, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Yergh! Paraffin! Lucky for me I didn’t have a candle burning next to me yes? Heh… I did read what Caroline have to say about it too, and it was interesting. But I also don’t have such strong feeling about mineral oil as she does. It’s one of those pros-cons things that will keep being debated over and over, but in this case, if that’s the thing making me feel weird, then out it goes! I too feel nothing for Visionnaire (breaks me out) and Genifique (breaks me out) so I feel the same way you do; but my mom loves them both!

casey23 August 29, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Yes she’s a bit edgy right? :) I read her posts, usually ignore the sharp points but she was right about this product because when you look at the ingredients list and their promises, you get kind of pissed/irritated. To give an example I, for myself, would never understand the rave of Armani’s maestro foundation because the first 4 ingredients are water and 3 kinds of silicone (which makes it sooo flawless when you use but gives you very nice little black or whiteheads in the long run) and mentioned as “miracle”. It can be a very veeeery good foundation for many people but it’s not a miracle I can tell you.. (wooow I’m far away from the point sorry!)

August 29, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Haha no problem Casey. I’m actually using Caroline’s washcloth tip and loving it! Not familiar enough with ingredients to make up my mind because there’s so many conflicting views out there. I personally couldn’t like the Maestro foundation because I found it sank into my lines and honestly, I don’t need people to see more lines than are necssary! I haven’t been sensitive to silicones myself, but then I know many people who are, so it’s always a good point to pay attention.

Tracy August 29, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I was actually thinking if I should get one to try since I am running out of my trusty EL ANR, but then again, maybe I shouldn’t now! I have tried some of Clarins’ stuff (multi-active range and their toners), but I am only impressed with their HydraQuench range (truly hydrating even in harsh winter weather!).

September 1, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I like the Hydraquench range too. Very effective! I haven’t tried the other ranges but their whitening one doesn’t impress me much, and neither does this serum, apparently LOL! Personally, I wouldn’t replace ANR with this :P

Kay Es August 29, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Nothing to comment on this serum (never used it, never gonna) but haha at LOL = Lots of Love.

September 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Haha my reaction exactly :)

lisa August 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm

It could be worst for me. Overall, Clarins is not suitable for my skin type. I see no results most of the times. It’s just one of the ‘meh’ brands that i can’t get myself into liking despite raving reviews for it’s skincare and sunblocks etc. The only things i do like are the limited edition face powders which Singapore Clarins always do not carry.

September 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

It’s not just Singapore Clarins, Lisa, our Clarins here has stopped bringing in the makeup too! Really pisses me off because they actually do have quite good and underrated makeup but we can’t get them >.< The skincare is ok but as with all skincare, it can’t suit everyone. I do find their creams more gentle than say EL though

Beautywants August 30, 2013 at 12:22 am

I love clarins products and this was my first anti-aging serum (30yo with dry skin)… I thought this would work amazingly well on my dry skin type but nope… It broke me out within one week of use. However, I did notice that my skin felt firmer and looked more supple and tight, helped to rejuvenate my complexion on days when its ultra dry and dull. I just had to give it another chance. I reduced my usage from nightly to just twice a night and bingo… This was the magic “formula” for me! I do feel it’s kindda rich though… Understand what u mean by the “film” effect on top of ur skin. certainly not that suitable for those with oily skin!
P/S: so sad that the Estée Lauder ANR does nothing for me! Haha guess good skincare is not so much about the product itself, but whichever product that works for u is good skincare!

September 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

It’s good to know it works for you :) I don’t feel it’s rich in comparison to other serums but it does feel heavy. Also, the mineral oil content might also be what’s causing the breakouts hence reducing the use reduces the breakouts. As for ANR I have heard of many people whose skin don’t agree with it either, so our mileage varies :D Did you try the new ANR or the previous one? The new one seems to be working better for most people ;)

Sze Ling August 30, 2013 at 3:59 am

Oh yay! I’m not the only who didn’t like it. After the first few packets of sample I tried, I’ve already decided that I didn’t like how it sits on my face. Told the SA in Parkson, and she was convinced that it is a human usage error. LOL. So, she shove a couple more packet into my bag and convinced me to try again. Again, I’m not head over heels. I mean, for the price, I’d have to be head over heels in order to justify buying it.

But! I do like the scent though. :P

September 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Haha slowly the detractors are revealing themselves! ;) It’s good to know because seriously, with all the raves going on out there, you’d think this was the holy grail of skincare!

Kristin T. August 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm

this product didn’t work on me either… and it’s so pricey!

It left a film on my skin, too.

September 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

How interesting, Kristin! Looks like it really doesn’t work for some!

Tracy August 31, 2013 at 7:50 am

LOL LOL I hated this one TOO! It broke me out like MAD. You are tenacious though giving it a year-I gave it a month and gave up!
Tracy recently blogged…Mark. 10th Birthday Beauty Collection Review and SwatchesMy Profile

September 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Awesome, Tracy! :D Not the breakouts I mean, but the fact that you didn’t like it too.

Fatima September 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

This has been getting so much rave in the blogging world and I have been eyeing it. But look at the ingredient list, minral oil is third on the list. Hmm, not happy with paying top bucks for a cheap ingredient.

September 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm

My attention was drawn to that recently too and I too felt disappointed. I think the anti-aging ingredients may be good, but the medium of mineral oil just doesn’t cut it eh?

MsGlitzy
September 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love this serum! I think I saw some visible effects on my skin after use. I also appreciate that it’s oil-based, but lightweight therefore suitable for oily combination skin like mine.

Is your skin type more dry? I think this might be too light for drier skin, therefore you didn’t observe any effect?
MsGlitzy recently blogged…LeSportSac x Dylan’s Candy Bar CollectionMy Profile

September 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Yes, I do have drier skin which is why I expected an oil based product to work better. Most oils do, but perhaps it’s the oil. As has been pointed out, it is mineral oil which being petroleum derived doesn’t benefit out skin as much as a plant based oil will. Still, 9 out of 10 women love it. Clearly it’s doing something right ;)

Marina(Makeup4all) September 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Actually I still have to give this one a proper try (had it foe months but have too many other serums right now). Hopefully, I will be among those 9 ;)
Marina(Makeup4all) recently blogged…Want It: Charlotte Tilbury Beauty RangeMy Profile

September 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

I know you’re a huge Clarins fan, Marina! I hope this one works for you :D

Christine September 15, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Hi Paris,I’m using Estee Lauder ANR 2.That worked well for me.But Clarins Double Serum works for me too.I’m one of the 9/10 who finds the smell soothing and lovely.It gives me a glow when I wake up in the morning and my skin is noticeably smoother.Both ANR2 and Clarins Double Serum works for me.But personally I prefer ANR 2 because with Clarins you need to be careful with the amount you use.I have very dry skin and I’m living in Adelaide(extremely dry weather) and yet Clarins Double Serum still managed to break me out when I’m not careful with the amount I use(I’m a little surprised myself).I think I’ll still stick to ANR 2 and may be try out Kiehl’s MRC as you highly recommend it.FYI,I think your claim that it only work for younger skin might be true as I’m 22 this yr(a bit younger than other readers?).

Synaebloom September 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

tried this but i don’t see any results from it all at.

Fathima December 22, 2013 at 8:21 pm

ohh finally I found someone like me,, thanks alot for your review, I am too from the 1/10 group :)

well to be honest I just used the 7 days sample that the SA gave to me from Clarins counter and I used it for a week before committing to a full size product, well the serum didnt break me out yet it didnt do anything to my skin, and as you said if a product promises to see a difference just after one use then you would espect alot from it.

i was hesitated to buy it or not, thinking that if I used for longer period I may see a result but after reading your review am 100% sure that I dont need this product at all.

million thanks..

Note: I used Lancome Vissionnaire serum and I loved it but it is so expensive, that’s why I am still searching for a good serum but with less price, I may try the LE serum!

LOL ;)