Your Say: What is your favourite NON-Beauty item of 2012?

in Discussions,Home,Musings

wood floor

We have some traditions here at MWS that have become so over the past couple of years, especially around this time of year, when we take time off to reflect on the year that has gone by. Incidentally, Isn’t it great that the world did not end on 21 December 2012 as people have been saying? I think it would have been disastrous LOL!

Anyway one of the “traditions” is in stepping outside of the beauty niche for a moment to consider what our favourite NON-beauty purchase or item of the year has been.

Mine is above. Something much too large to fit in one frame. It may not be what you think it is 😉

Being a bit of a gadget freak, its no surprise that my favourite non beauty purchases for 2010 and 2011 have been gadget related. I did have one gadget purchase this year that I am very happy with, but I won’t be featuring that one (its the iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaning robot btw – one of my best splurges ever!) Incidentally, the other favourite is a proper chef’s knife. I know, a little awkward :)

But the one item/purchase I made this year that has given me the most joy is my wooden floor.

The floor was tile before this, and I’d not been happy with it for a while. It was hard to clean and had a tendency to get dirty quickly and it had bugged me for years. I’d also been planning to have wooden floors laid for a while, but didn’t get around to it for various reasons.

Well, this year I decided that enough was enough. I got fed up and went out and got it done within a week; and I have to say its the best thing ever! Its one of those laminated wood floor systems that you lay over existing tiles so disruption was at a minimum, and the work was done in a day. Its so much easier to clean, the dark colour I chose doesn’t show up dirt as much, and it feels lovely to walk on.

Best purchase of 2012, beauty or non-beauty 😀

What’s your favourite NON-beauty item/purchase of 2012?

It could be something you bought yourself – a gadget, a tool, jewellery, a car? 😀 – or it could be something someone gave you. Share your fave of 2012!

Jyoan December 26, 2012 at 9:04 am

Nice! I love parquet because it’s warmer. It’s really cosy to wake up and step on warm floors, especially since there is air-con. With tiles, even colder months will ice the tiles.

hmmm, I haven’t quite thought of mine. Oh yes! My MacBook. Best purchase ever, seriously. It’s so insanely good at processing photos, videos, and music! Without my MacBook, I would never really have gone that far into blogging, simply because it’s hard to deal with pictures and not so comfortable to type on a Windows laptop. Without MacBook, I would never think of venturing into Youtube, because there’s no iMovie. iMovie is just the best invention, at least for 2012, for me!

And prolly I should include my iPhone 5 too.

I was anti-Apple up until this April when I took the plunge and got Mac.

December 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I used to have parquet floors and htey do feel lovely. I wasn’t too enamoured with the grainy feel but ultimately wooden floors are so much lovelier than tiles or even marble, don’t you think? 😀 I love the feel of it. I know so many people with MacBooks! I haven’t gone down that route yet, being mostly non-Apple friendly except for the iPad but I can see why people love it. Their screen displays are quite something!

xin
December 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

this is a tricky one….i can’t remember if i purchased anything significant non beauty item. tablet perhaps?
xin recently blogged…NOTD: The Night before ChristmasMy Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Haha your bicycle maybe? 😉

December 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

I have to think about this one… I haven’t really splurged on anything non beauty related for a while. I’ve been good after getting a brand new camera and laptop last year. I think this year, we splurged on a few mini family getaways. We didn’t go far, but these frequent little holidays where we stayed at nice hotels and ate the yummiest food, really added some quality fun to our lives. Brought the family even closer, and nothing beats genuine smiles and infectious laughter 😀
Lily recently blogged…Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge New And Revamped. Raspberry Is My Choice.My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Ah holidays count! :) I’m looking forward to finally going somewhere I’ve always wanted to, in 2013. Let’s see if it happens 😉

Esther Neo December 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

Happy call cooking pans!!

December 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I’d so much about them, Esther! Are they that good?!

Esther Neo December 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Yes!! They cook with no oil n will grill ur salmon crispy on the outside n moist inside…and no oil needed! And my broccoli stayed green and I made muah chee with it also. Countless possibilities!

December 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Oooh no wonder there’s so much hype about it! 😀 I’ll take a look the next time I go to a department store 😀

kuri
December 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hrm, it’s borderline beauty, but I’ve started conditioning my leather goods thanks to your post, and it’s made a huge difference in my leather goods!

Other than that, I guess my most significant purchase was my Samsung Android phone – which has changed how I do things, but I can’t say I don’t prefer my old Japanese Sharp phone – better camera and more reliable. So I can’t think of a favorite right now.

December 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Yay Kuri! I’m happy to know you’re taking care of your leather good 😀 They’ll thank you by lasting forever and ever… almost 😀 I too am on a Samsung Android phone and its been amazing. Helps me be more productive even as it helps me waste time LOL! 😉

Lynnie December 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

I didn’t really purchase these two items lol but I can’t imagine life without them. My iPhone and my Speedy. Quite superficial but they are lovely gifts nonetheless =)

December 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Never superficial, Lynnie – its whatever makes us happy and if they are a gift, well, even better! 😀 Nice pick of the Speedy 😉 Which size/material did you go for?

Stephanie/Yukaeshi
December 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

Oooh I love wooden floors! The upper floor of my house is wooden, too, and I love the look and feel of wooden floors- for some reason they feel so posh and cozy 😛 Not to mention it’s less cold and slippery than tile. Great if the weather is hot but not great when you’re cold and the floor’s cold too haha! But having pets (A dog- corgi specifically in case anyone’s curious!) it’s a pain because it gets scratched very easily and (proper) wood flooring has to be polished professionally to remove the scratches… and it’s a very messy job >_<

Um, I haven't really splurged on anything non-beauty this year it seems- am saving up for next year :) But can I still say that my favourite non-beauty "product" this year is my engagement ring? Haha! 😛
Stephanie/Yukaeshi recently blogged…Merry Christmas + Updates!My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Congratulations on the engagement ring :) And yes, wood floors can scratch very easily hence my decision to go wood but not 😀 Much easier to take care of 😉

Hanny Daforcena
December 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

My fave would have to be my multicolored Pilot pens! They come in refills in all sorts of colors and helped me to study a LOT heh heh heh. What’s more, one pen can house 3 colors so you don’t have to change pens often!
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…Week in Photos Vol. 11: December Family Love and Merry Christmas!My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Pens! 😀 I remember them from uni days haha… these days, I would be hard pressed to find a pen much less a multicoloured one sigh… I swear someone in my office steals my pens off my table all the time! 😛

Juan
December 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

No wonder I couldn’t get into mywomenstuff site last night. Tukar layout rupanya. Very nice! On my mobile it looks vintage, elegant yet posh. Sigh…

My most favourite non-beauty item must be my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. It’s awesome.
Juan recently blogged…The Shiseido Japonica Facial Haven and the feeling of shortchanged.My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Eee thank you Juan! 😀 I’m sorry about the downtime, there wasn’t supposed to be any! Hmm… I was looking at the Note 10.1 too but decided to be rational and get more use out of my ipad first before I go wandering off. I have a terrible habit to! 😛

Sze Ling December 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

Well said. The Roomba is so worth it. After 1.5 years of frequent use, mine looks a bit battered up already. But still kicking major dust-ass. Love it to pieces. :) I’m a bit of a gadget freak too. Haha.

December 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yay for the Roomba! I set mine to run twice a week or on weekends when I notice that its missed some spots. Definitely an excellent gadget especially when you come home after a long day and rejoice in the feel of a clean dust free floor LOL! Hey, since its already 1.5 years old, what’s your fave item from 2012? 😀

Sze Ling December 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Didn’t splurge on any gadgets this year. (Good girl. 😛 )
My best purchase for 2012 would be the Crumpler Artisanal Loaf bag. It doesn’t look big, but it’s huge. I can fit so many stuff in it. Now I only need one bag for my cosmetics/skincare when I go to the gym or holiday. 😀 It’s really well made and I can see it lasting a very very long time.

December 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Good girl indeed! I did. Bad girl! LOL! For a moment, I thought the Loaf bag was for baking, because I know you bake and all so it was a surprise to find out it wasn’t haha! It does look like a very sturdy and lovely travel bag. You know, I don’t need another ok! 😉

Happy Bubbles December 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hello :) hmmmm, to be honest I have never own any tablet before but lucky enough to received a gift , which is iPad mini , i found it’s really convenient and easy to bring anywhere where we found our laptop sometime could be quite heavy , on the other hand with handbag still ! LOL , just nice to put in your bag , after some tiring work , or you need is just a good cup of coffee and good wifi , enjoy spending time for some blog or forum reading :)

December 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Woohoo! You got the iPad Mini! 😀 Its so cute! I was eyeing it but I already have the iPad 2 so it would have been silly to pick up another one since I get so little use out of mine :)

beeromperzlaila December 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I am so liking my Iphone …I have use it all the time..thats the one non beauty things that I have right now…eyeing to buy an Ipad mini next year because me and my hubs seems to be doing tug n war at home because we play a lot of games in the iphone hahahahha

December 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Haha you got the iPhone 5 then? 😀 I think the ipad is a nice complement and the mini is really cute! I like my iPad for reading and checking stuff online without having to boot up the computer 😀

bita December 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Is that a shisha? this pic from your home?
mine was Sony nexf3 camera. l love it and I love the pictures that makes everything more beautiful !

December 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Haha yes, its a shisha (for decoration only) and this is part of my home :) The Sony Nex camera is really nice. I was quite tempted by it when I was considering the Micro 4/3 cameras because its so compact! I’m sure the pix are stunning

peach_ December 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I was looking forward to you saying something along the lines of, “hitting it up with a hookah.” You let me down! 😛

Great choice on getting a wooden floor. It’s amazing how something that might come as an afterthought in your living space makes a huge difference. I prefer wood, too!

December 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

hahaha… sorry Peach! That hookah is purely for decoration only, although its workable. My sis got it from me from the Middle East – I’d always wanted one – weird right? 😀 I wish I’d gotten my floor earlier. But hey, better late than never! 😀

Irenekay December 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I have a Chinese cabinet & love it to bits! My new place but on minimalist design so no matter what I’ll try to fit it somewhere…

Hrmmm beside getting a new place this year I’ll say I love my dry kitchen with 7.5 ft island & my bosch oven! Plus some personally picked lightings.
Ermm got a Balenciaga & loving it to bits too! But hard to choose the ultimate fav as its all in diff category.

I tot Roomba does e mopping & iRobot (my mon is using it) does e sweeping. Can u elaborate e use? I’m Planning to get 1 of these.

December 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Mmm a Chinese cabinet sounds lovely! I like mixing up the furniture in my home so my house is basically a mish mash of designs haha! Oh and can I say that I’m jealous of your kitchen?! I’ve always wanted a kitchen with an island but my current place does not lend itself to one. If I ever move in future, you can bet I’d have a kitchen with an island 😉 As for the Roomba, it does the vacuuming. The Scooba does the mopping and iRobot is the brand :) I didn’t get the Scooba because of my flooring but if I had tiles/marble flooring I’d definitely get it!

Swati
December 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

my fav purchase this year would be canon 60D :) and, the credit goes to Tine…she recommended that to me :)
Swati recently blogged…Just Gossip Vol. 3 – My Yoga Classes and changes in my Body!My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Yay for the Canon 60D and yay to Tine for recommending it to you! :) Hope you have lots of fun with it 😀

Sarah December 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love your floor! Looks really good.

For me, it was Radiohead tickets. Tickets count as items, right? 😛

They are my favourite band, and getting to see them live was a dream come true. Definitely highlight of the year!

December 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thank you Sarah and yes, of course Tickets count! 😀 I think its awesome that you got to see your favourite band live – the experience just doesn’t get any better 😀

Jacqueline December 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm

My favourite purchase for this year has got to be my pole. It get to practice and keep fit with it. It makes me happy when I am able to master a move I’m not able to in class.

December 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m in awe of anyone who pole dances, seriously! I went for an introductory class once and I learnt that I have no upper body strength whatsoever and heck! Its a LOT of work! Good on ya 😀

LeGeeque December 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm

For me it is definitely Coco the furball monster. She’s a handful and a massive brat but I won’t trade her for anything in the world. Come to think of it. She’s almost the price of a bag :-\

December 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

She has and will give you much more joy than a bag ever will 😀 She’s beautiful!

Leesa December 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I would say my iphone 5! i used to use nokia but switched this year and now understand what the hype is about… am considering getting ipad as well… lols…

December 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Haha when you fall, you fall HARD! 😉

Becca
December 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hands down: my new camera. My boyfriend bought it for me for Christmas but I was bad and made him give it to me a couple of weeks ago 😛 LOVE playing with it!!! 😀

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, dear Paris!! <3
Becca recently blogged…Christmas Moon…My Profile

December 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

A new camera! How absolutely awesome and lovely of your boyfriend to get it for you 😀 Looking forward to lots of lovely photos from you Becca!

Raymee December 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi everyone! Browsed thro this blog and got hooked on it….awesome .
Gorgeous wooden floor!
Mine would be iroomba and samsung galaxy note 2 for this year.
Still not too late to wish all a season’s greetings n happy new year.

December 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hi Raymee, welcome and I hope to see you around the blog more often! 😉 Ah I love both your favourites. I wanted the Note2 but decided to be good and not change my phone again so quickly hehe… so will probably wait for the Note3! 😀

plue
December 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm

don’t think i have purchased anything in this year that’s a significant non beauty related item.

but if i really have to pick, that’d be my deco tapes and starbucks tumblers!
plue recently blogged…NOTW: China Glaze Deviantly DaringMy Profile

December 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Ah see, you managed to pick something! 😀

mrsdjones
December 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Mine would be my beautiful new kitchen!! :D:D
mrsdjones recently blogged…Ayam percik mudahMy Profile

December 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Ooh I’m so jealous! I’d love to redo my kitchen but erm… maybe not. I don’t think I can handle the costs and the mess! LOL 😀 Enjoy yours.

Kay December 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Nice floor! I love the gentle grayish brown color. If I could have all wood floors I would, but the floor in some parts of my house are not level so carpet covers those areas :(

I would say travel but that is not an item, so perhaps it would be things I purchased on a recent trip to Japan: a small blue clock for my nightstand, a pair of elegant chopsticks, or handmade broom — all functional items that are beautiful to look at and make me happy everyday as they remind me of a wonderful trip.

December 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thank you Kay, when I saw the sample in the showroom, I wasn’t so sure how it’d look in a large area, but it turned out wonderfully – greyish brown! Makes me feel like I’m coming home to a resort 😀 I do think Travel, albeit not an “item” is a perfect choice. Japan is a lovely place and I hope you had fun there. If I could go back, I would! But I’m going to try to visit other countries first 😉

mrsdjones
December 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Btw Paris! I got wood flooring for my house too! Love it to bits! :)

December 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Eeee! Snap! 😀 I think its the best thing I’ve ever done for my home! 😀

Julia December 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Lovely floor!

My favourite item of this year is the Kindle. I only just got it two days ago (it was a Christmas present), but I really don’t want to be without it anymore. And that is coming from someone who loves actual paper books!

I will move back to Japan next year (so my favourite non-buyable thing of 2012 is being accepted into grad school) and can’t take all of my books with me, so I decided it’s time for a change and wished for the Kindle. :)

December 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thank you Julia and you got a Kindle! I wanted one last year but didn’t get it because I wasn’t sure if I could handle reading an ebook. I later realised I couldn’t so I’m glad I didn’t splurge. But its great that you now get to carry your favourite books with you to Japan! Congratulations on getting into grad school! What an achievement 😀

Jennifer December 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Wow, very nice laminated wooden floor and looks very posh with the antique furniture. I spot the alluring shisha too 😛 This year my Nokia finally rest in peace. Say what the world wants, it was the best candy bar phone ever with awesome camera with Carl Zeiss lens. So I got an iPhone and it’s a better phone in some ways, makes me “connected” to the world with Whatsapp :)

December 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Ooh you used to use the N95? 😀 I was using that too till I switched to the Blackberry a while ago and then my Dad inherited it. It was a very good phone, I must say. I think the new smartphones are good for multitasking and for staying connected. Its almost like carrying a mini computer around with you all the time! Oh and Whatsapp is the best ever! 😀

Ting December 26, 2012 at 10:30 pm

A few readers here have switched over to iPhone from Nokia… this resonates with me too! I was a loyal Nokia user for… 10 years? and when the world was crazy about iPhones I had my nose high up and said: “meh… iPhones are for yuppies (sorry, please don’t kill me because now I have one… :p)”. But then this year I decided to switch to it and finally… my long term loyalty to Nokia was shattered. Just like that. Scary.

I use it for emails a lot and am amazed at how this little gadget could do seamlessly let me copy and paste texts from one app to another. I’m so impressed that I even persuaded my boss to get me a macbook air (after MUCH persuasion). iOS rocks! 😀 Again, my long term loyalty to IBM is… shaken. Not shattered, but shaken. haha

Another fav non-beauty related thing is that I finally got a Thai driver’s license issued!! It took a lot of trouble, 5 trips to the Transport Agency and Embassy and I nearly cried the day I held my driver’s license. Really. :)

December 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hahaha another Apple fan! 😀 I am still in the non-Apple camp. I have to admit the phone is a good one, but perhaps I’m just too put off by the fanboys/fangirls hehe… But I do have an iPad so I do get the fuss about it 😀 Oh and congratulations on getting the Thai drivers license! I’ve seen the traffic in Bangkok and wow! Driving there is no easy feat 😀

Lynne December 27, 2012 at 1:17 am

That would probably be a set of new fins for diving, after getting sick and tired of my old pair I bought when I was a poor student on a very limited budget. I love them and they are in a shade of gorgeous orange (my fav colour)! Still on a buyer’s high thinking of them!

December 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Diving fins! What a lovely buy and orange is a nice colour – easy to spot under the sea! 😀

Tine
December 27, 2012 at 8:21 am

Best non-beauty purchase would definitely be the holiday to Japan. And everything else that is lumped under the holiday 😛

Other than that, I’d say my Nexus 7. It’s much lighter than my 1st-gen iPad, which makes it easy to bring out with me.

Next year, I have two big-ticket items to aim towards: the Roomba and the Thermomix. Not even a bag. God I’m such an auntie 😛

December 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yay for your trip to Japan and I looked up the Nexus 7 and it looks amazing! Definitely much more portable than the iPad (I hardly even carry my iPad 2 around unless I know for sure I’ll be somewhere and bored) which doesn’t fit into most of my bags anyway 😛 I think the Roomba and Thermomix will give you much more pleasure than a bag – I’m serious! I’m thinking of getting a food processor but will see 😉

lisa December 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Fujifilm instax 210. Bulky and heavy it is. But I love the instant gratification of instant photographs. Great for family gatherings to capture the ‘moments’.

For this year, i didn’t get a single latest tech gadget! wow. I’m kind of shocked (in a good way) when i think back. But i can see myself getting some stuff come 2013.

December 29, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’ve noticed many people using these Instax cameras recently and they do look fun 😀 What gadgets are you eyeing in 2013? 😉

Lisa January 1, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’m eyeing the Samsung galaxy note 2. And the iPad mini which is what I wanted the iPad to be but was not.

January 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Nice! I am also eyeing the Note2 but am hoping to hold out for the Note3 whenever that happens >.<

Shriya
December 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

My favor8 non beauty item for 2012 : my canon camera 16.1 mp and my new apple ipad .
Loving them a lot :)

December 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Very nice picks Shriya! I love a camera related anything 😀

Amanda December 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

It has to be my Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer I got on my birthday! :) I got a Roomba from my husband for Christmas this year. I can’t wait to use it.

December 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Yay to the Kitchenaid! I went to look at one in the store here and backpedaled so fast! LOL! I do plan to pick up a food processor some time this coming year though. So we’ll see! Oh and yay to the Roomba – I think you’ll love it as much as I do mine 😀

Makeup Morsels December 28, 2012 at 3:06 am

hahaha love this question! And your new floor looks gorgeous. My favorite thing…ok this is a little big to be a thing, but it has to be COLLEGE. When I came back from break, everyone I saw just said I looked so much happier than they had ever seen me, and I do feel incredibly blessed and happy that it turned out so well. So that would be my thing :)
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…Eyeshadow, It’s Been Too Long | A Satin Taupe EOTD & TutorialMy Profile

December 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Yay to college! 😀 Ok not to the late nights cramming for finals or rushing to finish projects but YAY anyway to it all! 😀 I’m happy that college agrees with you. I’ve left school such a long time ago, I just know I could never go back although it would be nice to be a little carefree for a while 😀