in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Natural,Product Reviews

Aroha, not to be confused by the Hawaiian greeting Aloha is actually Maori for love or compassion.

Ok, I looked that up online. I don’t speak Maori icon biggrin Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red So if we have visitors from New Zealand, please feel free to tell me if I’m right or wrong icon biggrin Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

Its quite fitting, that meaning of Aroha, because this is a brand of lipstick from Antipodes, a New Zealand based natural skincare brand that now has a very small range of natural makeup (just lipstick for now) for those who prefer to go the natural route for skincare and makeup. I’m also fittingly featuring this brand in line with The Hobbit movie that’s just opened last week icon biggrin Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red I’ve booked tickets to watch it soon this week – mixed reviews so far but its ok, I didn’t read the book icon razz Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

antipodes lipstick6 Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

Anyway, as far as natural cosmetics go, I’m personally not fussed either way, but what really caught my eye and interested me in the Aroha lipstick range was that they carried a red lipstick. There are only 3 colours in the range for now – Dusky Pink, Remarkably Red and Boom Rock Bronze; and all the colours look quite strong and pigmented.

I’ve checked out some mineral makeup and natural makeup but I rarely get drawn in because I’m a bit of a magpie and whilst I like that its all natural and good for your skin and stuff, lets face it: The packaging is rarely interesting or pretty and the colours tend to be too muted for my tastes. So, this Antipodes Aroha Natural Mineral Lipstick is among the first natural makeup I’ve checked out in a while, and the colours looked promising.

The packaging reminds me a little of Nars lipstick packaging. The exterior of the tube has a rubbery feel to it which is tactile and comfortable to hold. It also comes in the traditional bullet form which I much prefer for lipstick. I used to have a mineral lipstick that came in a tub and I ended up never using it, because its just not as practical.

Anyway, of the 3 shades available, I chose Remarkably Red because well, I’m drawn to red lipstick that way icon biggrin Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red I wanted to see how this red would fare in the sea of the other red lipsticks I own, from the different ends of the spectrum of reds.

I must confess to feeling a wee bit disappointed when I opened the tube.

antipodes lipstick5 Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

This wasn’t red in my books. I’d peg this one as a rose red. More rose than red.

I must point out that I’m the sort who will wear a brilliant chilli or fire engine red with no qualms. I also however, cut my lipstick teeth on lipsticks of this rose red colour so I’d say that this is an excellent colour for someone wanting to ease themselves into red lipstick. I still go to this colour when in doubt or when I want something easy to wear so I wasn’t all that disappointed, just disappointed that it wasn’t as Remarkably Red as I expected it to be.

antipodes lipstick2 Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

Antipodes Aroha Lipstick ~ Remarkably Red swatch

As you can see from the swatch, its pigmented, but not 100% opaque in just 1 swatch on skin. It is also red, but not quite remarkably so. As a lip colour, I’d say this is a good one to go for if you want to ease yourself into wearing red lipstick. One of the easiest ways is to start with something that is just a bit more red than you would normally wear and work your way up from there.

The texture is quite lovely and creamy and on the description, it says that the lipstick is matte with a hint of shine. I’m not quite sure how that translates because you can’t really have matte with any shine. What I’d say therefore is that this is a creamy lipstick that sits well on lips, coats it with colour with just 1 swipe, and has enough shine so your lips do not look flat.

antipodes lipstick Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

It looks a bit redder in this shot that it actually is in real life, but you can probably see that its not as scary or as bright a red as some of the other lipsticks/colours I’ve featured on the blog icon smile Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red It is a very wearable colour and one you can easily slick on for any occasion.

I did not find it as moisturizing as I would say, a Dior Addict lipstick but it did not dry out my lips. If you have dry lips however, then I would suggest that you apply a layer of lip balm before using this lipstick because it may cling a little more than you like.

antipodes lipstick3 Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

On the upside, it is natural, it does not feel heavy, and it has no scent. On the downside, I find this a little too pricey for a very simple lipstick in a very simple packaging, with very limited colours. The price/gram is lower than most conventional lipstick since it is 5g vs 3.5g but the initial outlay will make people think twice. I think it will appeal to you if you are into the natural cosmetics movement, but if you aren’t, then you could quite easily find a similar colour and better texture from a more affordable brand.

In a nutshell

Antipodes Aroha lipsticks come in 3 shades and are natural mineral makeup from a natural skincare brand. I like that the colours on offer are strong and pigmented with a nice shine to the lipstick on lips. The product is easy to apply and at 5g contains a lot more product than most counter brands that average about 3.5g (based on those I own). It isn’t heavy but I find that it can lean a little dry so those with dry lips would be advised to apply a thin layer of lipbalm before applying this or you may find that it may cling too much to your lips. The Remarkably Red shade isn’t a true red, but more of a rose red which is flattering to most complexions and suits all occasions. I just was a bit disppointed because I’d prefer if it was a true red as the name implied.

Pros: Natural mineral makeup, Not drying or heavy, No scent, Pigmented colour

Cons: May cling to lips if you have dry lips, Pricey, Colour was not as red as the name implied

Who will like this: Anyone who is into natural makeup, Anyone easing into a brighter lip colour

Here is the ingredient list for those interested.

antipodes lipstick4 Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

I’m not too familiar with other brands of natural makeup as its not something I focus on very much. I do know however that there isn’t a very wide variety of brands out there, barring the smaller indie brands, that do natural makeup so its good to know that there are options out there for people who are more pro-natural cosmetics and want a more reputable company to buy from.

That said, I would probably wear this lipstick when I go and watch The Hobbit. Gotta get close to the Middle Earth-New Zealand connection and all you know icon wink Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red Oh and one more bit of trivia. Remarkably Red was supposed to be inspired by the skies over the peaks of The Remarkables, a mountain range over Queenstown. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were filmed in Queenstown. Therein completes this connection. LOL! icon biggrin Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

Is this natural mineral lipstick something you might be interested in? Do you prefer to opt for natural or mineral makeup? Have you seen The Hobbit?!

I’ve booked tickets to catch The Hobbit this week. Haven’t been to the movies in ages so I’m really looking forward to it! As for mineral makeup, I personally have tried it but it never quite caught on with me. I think its mostly because its a lifestyle thing as well and while I try, I’m just not as green as I’d like to be or should be. Won’t sugarcoat that! icon razz Exploring The Hobbit connection with the Antipodes Aroha Natural lipstick in Remarkably Red

Antipodes Aroha Lipstick comes in 3 shades – Remarkably Red, Dusky Pink and Boom Rock Bronze Price: RM99 / NZD35 Availability: TNS Skinlab stores or TNS online or Antipodes online

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by distributor for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Rainy Days & Lattes December 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

this lipstick is very nice on you! I’ve tried following the natural makeup route but it’s very hard to find something interesting. The lipsticks are always too nude or too brown or too something and they go bad fast! However, this lipstick is vibrant and it makes you look so bright and cheerful :) Very festive as well. Btw, I love the purple shadow you are sporting… it looks very elegant on you :D

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thank you :) I have to agree with you. Most natural makeup looks so dull. Is like as if people who want to wear natural makeup don’t want bright colours, or maybe the technology just isn’t there. This was a surprise in terms of colour :) the eyeshadow is, I believe from the UD 15th Anniversary palette :)

Hanny Daforcena December 17, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hello there! I’m BAACK!

First I’d like to respond to the Hobbit bit. YES I HAVE AND I LOVE IT! It’s totally worth the almost decade long wait!

Secondly, this lipstick looks great on you! For some reason it looks utterly pink to my eyes, though… HMMM…

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Hanny! Where were you off to? :) I’m most certainly looking forward to the Hobbit too! I didn’t read the book so have no expectations at all haha! And yes, in tube it does look pink. Weird I know.

Issa December 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

This shade looks good on you PB! However, I was also expecting a bold kind of red because of its name. This looks pink for me too. :)

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Issa! It does look pink doesn’t it, hmm… Would be nice if it was redder

Applegal December 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

That is not red at all! It looks so pink in the tube, but it looks surprisingly dark on your lips. I would have thought that this lipstick would be really moisturising, judging from the ingredients list. I LOVE your eye make up! What did you use?

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

It’s quite odd, I know haha! Perhaps they would have gotten a better response if theynhad named it something lee other than Remarkably Red :) the eyeshadow was from the Urban Decay 15th anniversary palette :) thanks!

xin December 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

i have this too, but I can’t like it as much as I’d love to. I find it drying hence the lipbalm prior to lipstick. and i seem to have a problem with applying it evenly…it’s quite lasting though.

p/s: i love queenstown! definitely wouldn’t mind a revisit when i am older :D i miss the burger (ferg burger) it’s the original kind without any condiments or sauces, and i miss the onsen overlooking the hills and streams!

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I want to visit NZ but it seems every time I plan to there’s an earthquake :P guess am not fated to. The lipstick is surprisingly dry, I agree. Needs smooth lips or it just doesn’t go on very well at all. Pity.

Lily December 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

I haven’t watched The Hobbit yet but I just got back so… I’m thinking this week most likely :-) I didn’t know Antipodes has lipsticks. Thanks for the heads up!

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Just found out myself and am looking forward to the Hobbit this week too! Yay

Callie December 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

The Hobbit… It started here on 13th December and I went for it on the 15th December. Absolutely love the movie. Doesn’t even feel like I’ve been sitting on my seat for 2 hours plus! I’m now patiently waiting for Part 2. ^^

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yep, it opened here last week too but I’m miserly so I go for the cheap Wednesday movie ticket day hehe… ;) Its great to know its a long movie and that its good because I went and bought premier tickets too! :D

Sze Ling December 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

I love the Hobbit! Well, I’m a LOTR fan, so my review might be biased. Haha. :P

And you look great with that lipstick. It looks kinda pink on the tube, but turns out a pretty red in you lips. Nice! Approved! :D

Paris B December 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Thanks! It does look a bit pink, now that everyone mentions it, but thankfully not so pink once applied :D I enjoyed LOTR too although I could never read the book. The movie was quite something!

gio December 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

It looks really pretty on you! But I was expecting a much brighter, deeper red because of its name as well. This one is lovely, but doesn’t look particularly remarkable to me.

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thank you Gio and I think we thought the same thing thanks to the remarkable name hehe… Hope you’ve been keeping well!

Christine December 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Well Aloha to you too! (I live in Hawaii ;) Oooo, natural make up. I always WANT to like it, and like you, rarely indulge. I do like my BM foundation and their lip glosses as well, but they are one of the few mineral brands I find worth trying. This is a pretty lipstick. I’d probably be more prone to trying it because it is from an independent company… I do like to support those! Ps. The Hobbit was my FAV book as a kid.

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

Aloha Christine! I want to visit Hawaii some day. Friends who’ve come back from there tell me its beautiful! :D I like the philosophy behind the brand and the fact its stoically based in New Zealand, hence the name, I suppose. Could hardly call it Antipodes and base it in France :D I never read The Hobbit. In fact, I could never finish The Lord of the Rings either! But the movies more than helped :D

lyn December 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Oooh, didn’t know Antipodes has lipsticks! I know you’re disappointed it’s not a brighter red but the colour looks really nice on you.

I watched The Hobbit on Friday and really enjoyed it. And rewatched LOTR (extended DVD version) over the weekend. And started re-reading LOTR again. Yep, I’m all hobbit-out this Christmas ;-)

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thanks Lyn :) I’ve already booked the tickets so I’m really looking forward to it. I really enjoyed LOTR and I think it helped that I didn’t read the book so I had little to no expectations and just enjoyed it for what it was. I hope that’s the same for the Hobbit!

Marla December 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Oh that color looks so pretty on you!

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thank you Marla!

Becca December 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm

SO pretty on you! And I love that slightly sheer, creamy finish!

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

Thanks Becca :) The finish is nice, I agree, albeit a little dry but guess one can’t have everything eh? ;)

Juan December 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm

commenting on an unrelated note – love the new font type on your blog. looks neat!!

Paris B December 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thank you for noticing Juan! :D :D Just one of the small changes leading up to a bigger one :)

Kirsty February 27, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hmmm this does look like rather a pink lipstick doesn’t it? I notice that the antipodes lipsticks are all named after South Island NZ locations. e.g. “remarkably” probably refers to the Remarkables mountain range. Just a shame that it doesn’t correlate with a remarkably red colour!