Your Say: Why do you read beauty blogs?

in Discussions,Musings

read beauty blog Your Say: Why do you read beauty blogs?

Having been around the circuit for a while, I’ve noticed a huge explosion of beauty blogs in the past 2 years. Its not a bad thing, of course. I’m just a little curious as to why people read beauty blogs.

I mean, its useful for me to know, naturally, since you’re reading one, and I’m writing for it icon biggrin Your Say: Why do you read beauty blogs? But do you generally read beauty blogs and lots of them, or do you just read them as and when you need information for a potential beauty purchase? Why do you read beauty blogs? Come on, humour me icon smile Your Say: Why do you read beauty blogs?

I read a fair number of beauty blogs myself and I suppose the reason why I do, is because I like knowing what’s available out there, and what’s good or what to avoid from a consumer point of view, leaving aside the marketing spiel.

I read some blogs just for information, some to stay up to date, and some because I enjoy reading their blogs, even if I am not all that interested in the particular brand or product being talked about. Some are just fun reads, you know.

I used to read a lot of personal blogs back in the day when blogging was mostly about personal thoughts and experiences, and not too narrow a niche, and when I come across a blog that has that chatty, rambly, random vibe to it, while still maintaining a focus on fun beauty stuff, I tend to stick around longer because I never know what will come next.

With others, I look to them for information on what’s new in the market. I tend not to be too attached to those that feel a little clinical to me, so I may just browse over once or twice a week or only when I need to view pictures or get some information. And naturally, the more “real” the blog feels, the more likely I am to read it. Oh and yeah I guess it also appeals to the voyeuristic pleasure in sneaking a peek into someone else’s life or beauty cabinet icon biggrin Your Say: Why do you read beauty blogs?

I suppose we all have different reasons for reading beauty blogs. What’s yours?  :D

LeGeeque November 20, 2012 at 8:35 am

Depends on whose blog it is I’m reading. Some, I read for information and to keep abreast with trends. Some, I read because they’re entertaining. Many yet, I read to be completely horrified by blatant advertising disguised as blog posts.

I’m more curious as a reader (ex-blogger), why do some bloggers blog. Some claim it’s their passion, others want to attain a certain status – perhaps you can ask this question next so my curiosity can be satisfied :D

Jess November 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Lol… a really great and honest answer, which I just have to agree on! :D

November 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

You wish is my command – that will be an upcoming topic for discussion! ;)

effa haniza
November 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

I read beauty blogs every morning. Mostly because I want to know whats new in the market, to see whats recommended and what people likes, mostly from the same region and others are fun read. :)

November 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’m glad you mentioned blogs from the same region because I think its so useful knowing local prices and how a product works in local weather right?

Camy November 20, 2012 at 9:06 am

Haha. for me, gain information and be up to date :)

November 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Blogs are so useful for that aren’t they? :)

November 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

I re-read my comment and realised I wasn’t very coherent. Ah wellz…

Joy Chong
November 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

That happens to me too, then when both come out I feel embarrassed tee hee

November 20, 2012 at 9:33 am

I commented just now and the comment disappeared. I hope I’m not spamming you! It feels weird repeating what I said tho -_-”

I read blogs because I am a beauty junkie, and I love to know what’s out there. I like to see how a product looks on different people and how they wear it differently. I am attracted to beautiful pictures and there are some that I go back to because the way they write resonates with me. There are also some blogs I refer to for the latest news and swatches. I realise there is no way to keep up with everything, so I usually gravitate to those that appeal to me personally.
Lily recently blogged…More Rouge Dior Nude: Charnelle 450, Sillage 553 and Guipure 653My Profile

November 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Oops sorry about that! Sometimes the glitches are irritating and I may have unwittingly spammed other sites too hehe… And as for reading blogs, that seems to be pretty much why we all read blogs eh? ;)

Grace
November 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

I read for reviews because I dont want to keep buying stuff and end up not using and liking them. Such a waste. So when i see something on the rack. I’ll go and read reviews first. I dont care whose blogs it come from, so long there are reviews. I use to be those girls who keep myself uptodate with new stuffs and must have them on my vanity table but i am so over those phase. I buy what i need and not what i want. So these blogs come in handy to narrow down if those products are worth buying. So thank you for alllll the reviews u made!

November 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I do that too! If I’m interested in something, I do a quick blog search to see what people think of it generally. Helps me decide if I want it or if its something I could pass on. That said, if I’m truly interested, I’d buy it anyway, then you’ll see it on my blog :D

Carol November 20, 2012 at 9:45 am

Mmmm, most people might start their day with coffee or tea, mine is with Beauty Blogs. But usually when I’m still on the bed, I go straight to blogs that I read frequently, yours for instance. Mostly it’s because I love reading up on whats new out there, keep myself up to date on beauty products, brands and what not. In fact, I love to read up on these so much, friends around me just ask me directly if they need to know about certain brands, certain products etc. Sometimes however, there are beauty blogs I stumble upon by accident when I searched on a certain beauty product and end up liking the blog because the content is interesting – usually its where the bloggers are entertaining, well, at this point I read the blog not just for beauty info but because its entertaining. Sorry, hope I’m making sense. Anyway, hv a great day ahead Paris :) I’m really really glad you’re back!

November 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi Carol, you made a whole lot of sense! :) I think it’s great that we can all come together in a beauty loving community so we can share and learn from each other. I sometimes come across new blogs I enjoy through twitter or just from following links from other bloggers or blogs and then if the content or style interests me, I stay hooked. Guess we all do the same thing, eh ? ;)

Ting November 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

I read beauty blogs everyday to learn about new products that may be worth a try. Your blog, for instance, has made me totally change my impression about drug store lipsticks (in particular, the Revlon ones). I never knew there are so many things to consider for a mere lipstick – colour (of course!), texture, formula etc. I wish I hadn’t stumbled upon your blog because now I have a bagful of lipsticks (starting from 2 which I owned for years and years)… nah… kidding! :p Love reading your blogs and love the associated pictures. It’s so surprising that they often taken me off my guards. :)

Like Grace, blogs provide useful info for actual user experience of products. And most of them are not hard sell of products (well those that I read, at least), and most usually comes with example makeup look which I find useful.

Unlike the products feature in beauty magazines (which I always suspect that the company paid s*%t loads of money to be featured), we can learn from beauty blogs whether the product really work as it claims. Things like skincare products take sometime to see results. This is something magazines cannot tell you. :)

p/s: Sorry for the long comment every time. Love your blog, your humour and your efforts putting into it. :)

November 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Ooh I love reading long comments, Ting ;) i’m glad you’ve found my blog useful, even if your wallet now cries a little hehe… I have it from the horse’s mouth that mags do have to focus on revenue generating brands so one sure way of seeing your brand pushed in a mag is to take out ads. Sad but true. Guess that’s why blogs are getting so popular. There are some sponsored blogs but for the most part, everyone is free to say and do their own thing, good or bad.

Catherine November 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

I have to say that I read different blogs for different reasons :)

First of all- I want to know whats new and where (Im in Paris but reading usa,uk,aus etc. blogs) Im getting only luxury brands so I want to know if they re worth the money. I also enjoy reading skincare reviews and comparisons/swatches of foundations.
Some blogs I read just for entertainment, I like the way the person writes or presents the products.

My boyfriends tries to talk me into doing a blog about Paris, designers, restaurants, travels, makeup, oil and watercolour painting etc. but I feel like there are already so many great bloggers which I admire (more or less) that it would be a failure :D

November 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Oh Catherine, if you do set up a blog, I’d love to read it :) that’s what the personal blogs used to be before everyone became so segmented – a little ave to share bits and pieces about their interests. I do agree with you that I am Also quite dependent on blogs for luxury brands we don’t et here but that I can find online. Mistakes can be expensive and I prefer not to make those!

kuri
November 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

I think that sums it up for me – some blogs are fun, some are informative, some make me think. I am actually trying to weed out the ones that are more informative, but it’s hard to turn off the information source.

November 23, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I unsubscribe to blogs I find delivering too much info and only go through them once a week. It helps me control the a,punt of information I receive :)
Paris B recently blogged…Not quite New : REN Skincare is back and they brought us new stuff!My Profile

Issa November 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

I read beauty blogs because I want to look for information about the products I want to purchase and I want to be updated on what’s new. I also look for makeup tutorials and some because I just enjoy reading it. :) Plus, I love commenting on blogs where the bloggers comment back because I feel special and happy that they take time to read my comment even though sometimes, my comments are nonsense, lol. :)

November 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Issa, no comment is ever nonsense! :) well, unless it’s being unpleasant then yes, that’s nonsense lol! If a reader takes time to leave a comment, I believe we as the blogger should return the compliment. I do understand that some much bigger bloggers get too many comments to reply them all so I suppose its a balance & also balancing expectations :)

xin
November 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

I read blog to….keep myself entertained :D and to see what’s new and where my money should go
xin recently blogged…Cath Kidston Nail Art feat. Dior – Diorific Vernis in Lady (011)My Profile

beetrice
November 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Ditto Xin’s reply! :P A lot of it is for entertainment and information, but it’s not without it’s wallet dangers…
beetrice recently blogged…Updates, updates, updates…My Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Lol and that money goes quite fast sometimes doesn’t it? :)

Cas November 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Coz I’m too cheap to make purchases just incase that product is horrible. So I let beauty bloggers do it for me and then read their reviews before I buy, lol. Also to keep myself updated with the latest products. But to be honest, I mostly read your beauty blog Paris :)

November 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Lol we’re your testing ground! I actually like when people blog about lesser known products or brands. Sometimes, it’s impossible to find any information out there. And you are very sweet Cas, I hope not to disappoint ;)

Shija November 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I always read blogs.. It interest me every time I read yours, maybe because I dont go out much and like honest recommendations.. and also to know the Best & Worst products on the market.

November 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Not sure about the worst in the market but I sure will tell you what I don’t like! :) thanks for reading, Shija

Leesa November 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I started to read beauty blogs in the beginning when I was a makeup novice (lols.. am still one now…) looking for advice on what products are the best and how to apply makeup…. Actually, your blog is one of the first blogs I followed and still love reading for the reviews and tutorials. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Also to keep abreast with the new products launched, esp because i really like Asian products which are not available in Australia…

November 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Aww thank you for the long term support Leesa! I can’t consider myself an expert at all, still learning but also learning what I like and what works for me especially in erms of skincare. I think that’s the trickiest part because that’s so individual. I love Asian products too ut there aren’t many English based blogs in the market with that focus, sadly.

Kay November 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I read because they are entertaining, usually informative, a peek into someone else’s world, sometimes addictive and better than TV; they’re kind of like free magazines. There is also the interactive component with the blogger — something you do so well.

I don’t think I save money reading blogs as I often end up lemming for something — but I’m happy/satisfied that what I end up purchasing is something others who may have more experience think is a good product.

November 23, 2012 at 11:46 pm

“better than TV” lol! Like a good drama filled reality tv show eh, some of them? ;) thank you, Kay. I love “chatting” to people in the comments. It makes it so much more informal and fun! I blame reading blogs for fueling my wants. But as you have said, at least they are wants that work :)

Sze Ling November 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

There are a couple of blogs that I follow. Some beauty related and some are not.

I like reading beauty blogs because it makes me feel like being in a community that share the same interest/passion. And it’s great to know what other people think about certain products too. Helps with deciding on whether to try a product/service. :D
Sze Ling recently blogged…Honey Wheat Pound CakeMy Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Gotta agree with the community spirit, Sze Ling. finally, a group of people who do not think that a drawer full of blush is unusual… Or is it? :P

Esther Neo November 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Kekeke….so I won’t waste money on things since consumers are so honest abt their reviews these days.

November 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm

That’s so true, Esther :) i think it’s great reading the consumer point of view!

Claire November 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I read some blogs because they are well written (I still have to improve my english, lol), entertaining, because the blog has nice pictures or simply: because the blogger seems friendly and nice. TBH, back in the days (before I start blogging), I read a lot of blogs, I also commented. I have to say, when a blogger haven’t replied to any of my questions (or just don’t communicate with readers/other bloggers … or just the famous one’s), I simply stop reading and unsuscribe. I had that happened before to one and not only this person is rude (oh well, only nice to the ‘known’ bloggers out there), it really put me off. over 400 followers, maybe three comments and almost no answers, no communication. But at the end, it’s not my blog and I don’t care. As a blogger myself now (lol, still feels weird to say so), communication is the key imo. What is a blog without its readers anyway?
Claire recently blogged…Addiction Lipstick ConfitureMy Profile

November 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Uh Claire, there’s nothing wrong with your English! :D I can’t believe there are people who only reply to famous bloggers’ comments. Un… That’s so weird! Don’t they realize that it’s the readers who make their blog what it is? Sigh… Glad you didn’t let it get to you and at least you now know what sort of blogger you DON’T want to be :)

Bugs November 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm

There are few blogs that’s on top of my daily-read list, while others depends on the time I have that day. If time permits, I’ll go thru all. I won’t follow blogs that don’t click with me… or as Claire mentioned above, if the blogger doesn’t reply comments or email, or are rude and hateful in their writing, then I won’t waste my time on that blog. I prefer blogs with nicely written words, even though sometimes we don’t agree on something. There’s no need to spread hatred.

There are some blogs that I’m on “read-only” mode while others, I’ll comment when I feel like it. ^_^

Oh ya, I’ve learnt some new words too thru blog reading… Yay !!

Bugs November 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Silly me, long comment above but didn’t mention why I read blogs… sorry, am getting old.

The main reason I read blogs is for the product reviews so that I then can decide whether I want to get that product. And also to get updated on special deals out there. ^_^

November 24, 2012 at 12:06 am

Haha to old, just carried away perhaps? ;)

November 24, 2012 at 12:05 am

Let me guess, “lemming” would be one of them? Haha… It was one of the first I learnt, in the context used for a want. As for attitude, I have to agree with you on that. There are ways to disagree politely. Being rude is crass and turns me off, even if it doesn’t happen to me. Oh and I like the definition of ‘read only’ I’m like that too!

Bugs November 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Yeah PB, u got that right. HG… lemming…U can imagine I was scratching my head to figure out what those words means as my old faithful dictionary describe “lemming” as a small mammal… and I couldn’t even find HG in it… Google didn’t helped either…T_T”’

btw, Thanks PB, I learn another word today ^_^

November 25, 2012 at 12:34 am

Lol! You aren’t the only one. Till today, I don’t get the reason for lemming especially when it’s now used as a verb – I am lemming something. O_O

Marla November 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I like to see what other people are talking about when it comes to new products. I also like to see swatches.

November 24, 2012 at 12:06 am

Swatches are extremely helpful! Especially if it’s a product we may not have access to.

lisa November 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Being someone who loves makeup, usually I will check out how a certain product works on different people and the latest offerings in the market. I do also follow certain blogs that i can relate to even if it’s not always (or not) about skincare and cosmetic …one of which is yours! :-)

November 24, 2012 at 12:09 am

Haha I’m glad to know the occasional off shoots into non cosmetics territory doesn’t turn you off, Lisa! :) I like knowing what’s new too but the information overload can sometimes be mind boggling, we just have 1 face! >.<

Tammy November 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I want to know whats new….I also want to know what people think about certain products before I make my purchase!

November 24, 2012 at 12:11 am

I find that helpful too, especially if someone had a reaction to a skincare or makeup. I like it when people talk about their experiences with addressing a skin problem too because I’ve found it helpful in case I have the same problem!

Jyoan November 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I read for information, updates, swatches, reviews, yup, that’s it.

November 24, 2012 at 12:12 am

Everything most of us read for, it would seem! :D

Rin November 20, 2012 at 10:56 pm

You’re my favourite beauty blogger Paris. I read your blog everyday (unless I m super duper busy) because u tick all the boxes for all the reasons why I read beauty blogs. Some beauty blogs are just random. One of the reasons why I read beauty blogs is if I want to read reviews of a certain product that I am interested in, I’ll just type the keyword and randomly pick some blogs. I just want to know how that certain product works on different people. I can then make my own decision whether or not to purchase. Some products are not cheap so yeah, I prefer to read reviews :) Sometimes I want to find some information. I really do appreciate all the effort that the beauty bloggers put in for the readers :)

November 24, 2012 at 12:14 am

Aww you are very sweet, Rin. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read my ramblings. I hope not to disappoint! ;) I love how product reviews are so helpful. I like reading the comments too because sometimes readers share their experiences too, and that can be very enlightening.