Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

Alright, so “mess” is a bit of a wrong choice of words – “predicament” is more apt icon smile Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

kanebo testimo3 Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

For our first collaborative post of 2012, the merry band of Lipstick Bandits decided to take a look at either our first lipstick, or a good starter lipstick that might help win all of you over to our side. I originally had a different choice but wasn’t feeling it somehow. Then I spotted Tracy’s bit of advice on Twitter to feature instead the lipstick that made me want more. And suddenly, the ball dropped and I knew just which lipstick I wanted to feature.

Before I present you the culprit that got me into this predicament, I am compelled to tell you that this range has been discontinued. Please don’t pelt me with rotten tomatoes…. they don’t flatter my complexion much icon razz Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess I will however tell you some alternatives to try icon smile Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

I do remember my very first lipstick – it was a Maybelline Jewel Shine in Jewel Berry and thereafter a Maybelline lipstick in something Berry. I used up at least 3 tubes before I moved on and discovered that I could own and use different lipsticks at the same time icon razz Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

I still wasn’t all that into lipsticks, until one day, I picked up a Kanebo T’estimo lipstick. From the moment I slicked it on, I knew I was in love.

kanebo testimo Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

The colours, as are usual in Japanese mainstream cosmetics, are light with shimmer. It isn’t chunky, and you don’t notice it. Its lightweight on the lips, not drying, have no scent, makes my lips look like plumped up pillows and are subtle yet eye catching. For example, this colour is RD-151 (RD = Red) and it is anything but red in the conventional sense.

I still have a few of these babies from their later collections just before they were discontinued as a brand. I hold all lipsticks to this measure now – they must be lightweight, preferably with no or little scent, not drying, be subtle when I want it to be, must have shine and gloss factor and above all, must make my lips look like plump pillows.

kanebo testimo2 Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

Few live up to this measure which might explain why I tend to shy away from some popular brands of lipsticks and prefer others with a similar texture. I do like the lipsticks by Japanese brands but they tend to be pricey. It may not come off very obviously, but I have a very soft spot for Japanese makeup and in my view, they do lipsticks the best of all brands and genres.

For anyone still balking at wearing lipstick, I beg you head to a Japanese brand makeup counter and try one of theirs. Locally, try Kanebo (Lunasol and Kate both do very good lipsticks from different price spectrums) and Shiseido (The Makeup line is good but more mainstream so I’d prefer Maquillage for the more Japanese vibe).

So, if I am picky about the lipsticks I wear, this is why. I cut my teeth on what I felt to be one of the best lipsticks I’d ever known. And I just can’t go back down now icon smile Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

fotd lip Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

If Japanese lipsticks don’t do it for you, do check out what the other Lipstick Bandits have to recommend. Knowing them, they’ll probably make me want whatever they’re having icon wink Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

Do you remember your first lipstick? Which was the lipstick that had you at hello? icon smile Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess I know not everyone here likes wearing lipstick but as I’ve said, try one from a Japanese brand and see if that changes your mind icon smile Lipstick Bandits reveal: The lipstick that got me into this mess

Jamilla February 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Yep! Japanese Lippies make great starter lipstick!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m so glad you agree, especially since you’re a big Japanese makeup fan too! :D

Sukie February 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My very first lipstick was Guerlain’s Rouge G in Gracieuse (yes, the one I got during last year’s summer sales! =D) I have always been a lipgloss / balm girl but am now completely hooked to using lipsticks, thanks to you my dear! =)

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hurray for Guerlain Rouge G! :D You cut your teeth on one of the finest, Sukie. I don’t think you’re ever going to be able to back down now – so glad I managed to bring you over to the (lipstick loving) dark side :D

Sunny February 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

It’s a nice one, Paris!

My first lipstick love is Chanel Rouge Coco Mademoiselle. I used to dislike anything but lip balms, but that one changed everything. It just brightens my face up even when I’m looking tired and dull!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you Sunny :D So happy that you found love for lipsticks with a cult favourite of Mademoiselle :D I wasn’t too taken with the Chanel Rouge Coco range but they have some beautiful shades there. I’m sure you’ve picked up more since then ;)

Sunny February 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh God haven’t I :p

I’m trying to venture out of the “my lips but better” comfort zone into the amazing world of red and hot pink!

Paris B February 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Happy experimenting, Sunny – there is a world of colour out there to enjoy! ;)

Sherry February 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

First lipstick is revlon

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Nice choice :)

Hanny Daforcena February 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

My first lipstick was an Elizabeth Arden one, which was something peachy-pinky-golden. I had it for YEARS until I decided to throw it away. Now, I dare not count my lipstick collection, seriously. >.<

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Haha go on then, count it and shock us all ;)

Juan February 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

my first was a maybelline :)

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:35 pm

*high5* Mine was Maybelline too! Because it was the most affordable :P

Alyssa February 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

my first was Stage’s, bought during the big sale for RM8 only :D nice hint of pink, wore it to class everyday! hahaha loving the last picture! so cute!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks Alyssa LOL Yay for a bargain and for a pretty colour! I’d almost forgotten about Stage but their lipsticks from the moisture range was not bad, to be honest and during that Rm8 sale, perfect :D

Kat_M February 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm

My first lipstick that I personally purchased was the Maybelline Wet Shine Diamond in Pink (i think..) back in 2004. But it was only in 2010 that I started to buy multiple lipsticks..hahaha from mac, nyx, face shop, elianto, revlon, laura mercier, ysl… and so far I haven’t finished any of it yet :D

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Once I started down the slippery lipstick road, I have never finished a lipstick either! :D I think I remember that Maybelline Wet Shine Diamond range – it was sparkly!

Deepa February 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm

First lipstick, Chanel Rouge Allure in no 2 Desire. It was a burgundy colour that has gold, purple, burgundy and copper overtones to it. It was suberd and was always colour changing depending on the angle a person was watching me from. The scent nd taste was vanila beans, soo awesome and moisturising. It was the first time Chanel came up with the click Mechanism..

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Wow that colour sounds pretty amazing! I don’t think I ever bought a Rouge Allure lipstick – maybe I should stop by a counter some time and check it out :)

arianne February 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Since we were talking about it last night, this totally reminds me of my beloved MAC Viva Glam V! And because of that, I absolutely adoooooore your pick, Paris! Lovely!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Arianne and this looks like Viva Glam V? Great! Now I don’t feel so terrified sporting Viva Glam (which I’d always associated with nude thanks to the Gaga range >.< )

Jyoan February 21, 2012 at 12:08 am

wow! I really like this idea of the Lipstick Bandits. I could do an entire post on my story. But just to answer the questions, my first lipstick is from Make Up Store. I am not sure if this brand has boutique stores in Malaysia, but it has managed to survive in Singapore despite being lesser known.

It is a mauve pink colour. And one of the nearest similar colour would be something like NYX Round Lipstick in Paris (haha, nice name right, Paris.)

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

We had the Make Up Store here but it closed down after about 2 years or so. I remember seeing the stores in Singapore and wondering why they could survive there and not here! But that aside, the colour you describe sound really pretty – why don’t you share your story on your blog too? :D

Danielle February 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

You look stunning, and I can see why that lipstick made you want more. It’s so feminine without being over the top. Sounds like I need to try some Japanese lipsticks! ;)

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thank you Danielle and yes, Japanese lipsticks are quite quite different from their Western counterparts. I don’t know how accessible Japanese makeup is where you are though.

Larie February 21, 2012 at 2:07 am

Great Paris, now I want to storm the Shiseido counter :P You look stunning!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thank you Larie – try the Shiseido Tender Sheer range. They are a close approximation to how most Japanese lipsticks are formulated, although Shiseido The Makeup tends to be more internationally appealing. Their lipsticks are of good quality though and very underrated ;)

Tracy February 21, 2012 at 2:09 am

Paris that lipstick looks gorgeous!!! Ok, maybe I’ll have to hit you up sometime soon for a Japanese lipstick! They sound wonderful!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Tracy and you know where to get your Asian makeup/lipstick fix! ;)

Rocaille February 21, 2012 at 2:40 am

Hahah, this definitely does make your lips look like plumped pillows! I’d love to try some Japanese brands at some point, thanks for showing us this beauty!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I hope you do get to try some Japanese brands some time Rocaille – they are very different from the Western brands most of us are used to but in a nice way :D

Makeup Morsels February 21, 2012 at 4:01 am

You went through three tubes of the Maybelline lipstick?! That’s mind-bloggling hahahah.

I’ve actually never been tempted by Japanese lipsticks because I always worried they would be too subtle, but after seeing Xiao’s review of the Suqqu lipsticks and now reading your post, I think I need to further explore hahaha. It’s too bad this one has been discontinued, it looks so lovely on you and I can see why it’s made you picky about all future lipsticks!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Haha yes I did go through at least 3 tubes :D It never once struck me to change the colour or to experiment. These days, I barely use up a cm of lipstick :P Japanese brand lipsticks do tend to be a bit more subtle than Western brands but the new ranges coming out are looking more opaque (Suqqu is amazing!) But they all tend to have a nice slip, glossy shine and are light and non drying even if they have strong colour. If you have the chance, do try one and see ;)

Rae // theNotice February 21, 2012 at 4:26 am

Oh, Paris, this is so pretty! <3 I'm definitely already gone on my lipstick addiction, but you make me want to try a few from Japanese brands all the same – darn it! :P I feel like I'm going to need a Sasa haul in my future.

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm

You do Rae! Japanese lipsticks are very flattering in a very subtle way and these days, they are getting more pigmented and opaque too if that’s how you prefer it :D I’m also gone on my addiction. Between lipsticks and blush I’m pretty much done for :P

Musing on Beauty February 21, 2012 at 4:58 am

Interesting! I need to venture into those brands more.

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Beware, its a slippery slope ;)

dani February 21, 2012 at 5:30 am

PRETTY! Love the eyeshadow, too. <3

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thank you Dani :D I wasn’t quite happy with that shadow – made me look tired but I kept it on for the photos coz it seemed to go with the lipstick :D

Jessica February 21, 2012 at 7:42 am

Stunning! Your description of Japanese cosmetics makes them sound even more alluring. Despite this brand’s discontinuation, you’ve made me want to get my hands on some Japanese cosmetics even more!

? Jessica

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thank you Jessica :) T’Estimo has been discontinued but there are lots of Japanese brands and sub-brands out there from the big corporations – Kanebo, Shiseido, Kose etc I hope you get the chance to try some soon – its different ;)

peach_ February 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

Oh my! Testimo! This color is extremely flattering on you. It looks very nice with your top. :D I get so giddy whenever you feature Japanese brands for some reason, and especially if you like them! I think Japanese lipsticks are getting better and better, since the trend seems to be for opaque ones now. I feel naked these days without lipstick!

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Ahh I love T’estimo Peach! I’m so upset that they were discontinued because I love their shadows too. Coffret D’or just doesn’t cut it for me, although I hear its being discontinued soon so now I look to Lunasol. Japanese lipsticks are awesome already, and you’re right. They are getting more pigmented which is more internationally appealing than before. I do still like the shine they have though. Its something you don’t get in many Western brands :)

beetrice February 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

my first lipstick was a Revlon Superlustrous, but I can so feel the love for that T’estimo lippie cos I’m still loving mine after so long! right now I’m probably looking for the next HG lippie (the search never ends..), but getting more adventurous with colours along the way thanks to the Red Lip Queen *wink*

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm

T’estimo lipsticks are the best ever! :D Glad you’re breaking out of your mould – I seem to be stepping away from red myself. *gasp* how can? :P

Issa February 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

I think my first lipstick was from Avon or Wet and Wild … I can’t remember which one made me want for more because from the beginning I already love lipsticks because I love changing colors on my lips … :)

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yay for loving lipsticks Issa! I was never into lipglosses like most because of the sticky factor, so I just went straight for lipsticks :D

Cas February 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm

That’s a real sweet color! I think mine was Maybelline or some drug-store brand. It coulda been Lakme too which is a famous brand from India. I do remember going for a horrid dark brown color though. Those were such silly times, haha.

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’ve actually heard a lot about Lakme but we don’t get it here do we? And I totally feel you on the colour part. I used to wear frosty lipsticks in a pale berry or maybe even pink. I looked like the walking dead and I thought I was looking good *facepalm*

milktea February 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I got a few Testimo lippies at their warehouse sale in Damansara Uptown a couple of years back. Imagine boxes stacked full of white tubes of lipsticks and you get the idea… lipstick heaven! :)

I have the same lipstick as you (just taken out of storage, sitting on my desk now) but in BE-164 (BE = beige). Now that I’ve taken out all the Testimo’s to look at… I feel like using them all over again. Starting tomorrow! :D

Paris B February 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Yes! Get to it – and I miss those warehouse sale days too :D You know what else I love about the T’estimo lippies? That the Beige range did not make me look washed out the way regular beige or “nude” lipsticks do! I love Japanese lipsticks for that :D