Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion : Just Pat it on!

in Cheap and Good?,Moisturiser,Product Reviews,Toner/Lotion

Before 2009 ended, I decided to see what all the buzz was about Hada Labo and the buzz is really centered around the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion – one of the top sellers in Japan. While in Japan, I saw Hada Labo sold almost everywhere from convenience shops to pharmacies and I saw quite a few girls buying it too. Definitely a popular brand.

In Asian cosmetics, “Lotion” is a moisturizing toner used after cleansing but before moisturizer. It conforms to the concept of “double moisturizing” to help preserve and add moisture in your skin after cleansing.

Now what really sold me is watching the tv ad which I showed you before and which I will append again below because I think it is adorable! Will my skin really feel so bouncy and moisturized after using this lotion? My answer is yes.

I’ve been using the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion for about a month now, day and night. It takes a hell of a long time to get it fully absorbed though, so its not something to use if you’re in a hurry for work in the morning. You’ll know what I mean when you see how I use it below.

Here’s how I use the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion:-

• Pour 2 drops from the bottle. Don’t squeeze just let 2 drops fall into the palm of your hand. Any more and it’ll be too much for me.
  • Rub my hands together and spread the lotion all over my face. It will feel watery and slippery at this point.
  • Using the palms of my hands, lightly pat my skin starting with the cheeks, then forehead and chin and lastly cupping the nose. Repeat. You will feel the slippery lotion start to feel tacky and sticky.
  • Keep patting….
  • … and patting …
  • … and patting…
  • … and almost by magic, the lotion will stop feeling sticky and start feeling dry and smooth. My skin feels soft at this point and the lotion will be fully absorbed.
  • Follow up with moisturizer.

The key ingredient is super hyaluronic acid which I’m told holds in more moisture than regular hyaluronic acid. To answer some questions asked previously, Hada Labo is a brand from Japan by the Rohto Mentholatum Group but the product itself is made in China. Because we’re talking a huge company like Rohto-Mentholatum, I’m not too fussed about where it is made because the world is now truly global. It could be made in Timbuktoo and I’d still buy it because its backed by a global brand and because it works. Come to think of it, I’d likely buy anything made in Timbuktoo just to say I have haha! 😀

After 1 month of daily patting I like how this inexpensive lotion feels on my skin. My skin feels nice and moisturized even without applying moisturizer (though I don’t recommend it) and I like how there is no scent. Almost as good as if I were using one of my more expensive lotions so I’d say this wallet-friendly lotion is a keeper for me. Helps keep the “toing toing” feeling going 😀 For those who are concerned, there is no mineral oil, parabens, colorants, fragrance or alcohol added.

The Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion retails for RM40.90 for 170ml at Guardian pharmacies. I’m aware its a little rare on the ground so keep your eyes peeled and try a bigger Guardian pharmacy :) You use so little one bottle can last you ages and ages. Coincidentally, Connie posted her review on this same product this week and hurray, she likes it too so I’m not alone on this! 😀

Pros: Inexpensive, Keeps skin feeling soft and smooth and moisturized

Cons: Takes a while to be absorbed

I’m now curious about their other products in the Hada Labo line. I’ll share if I try any of the others. My facial wash is on its last legs actually. Maybe I can try that one 😛 And here’s the video I promised you.

Have you tried this Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion? How about other products from Hada Labo?

Jenn
January 14, 2010 at 9:09 am

Thanks for the review!! Another rave for this product!! Argh i wanna fast fast finish my current serum so that i can try this one out!!! >.<

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi Jenn

Hope you like it when you do try it out! 😀

vanilla February 23, 2010 at 2:11 am

if u read the ingredients carefully, it has methylparaben….

ParisB February 23, 2010 at 10:05 am

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not overly fussed about parabens myself. My thoughts on parabens are here.

plue
January 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

you and connie makes me wanna run out and buy this. My Laneige is finishing, so I reckon this is a good time.

Have you tried the whitening one? I tried to look for tester but either it’s empty or there wasn’t any :(

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hiya Plue

I haven’t tried the whitening one but I don’t usually like whitening toners. I prefer to use serums or moisturizers in that line :)

plue
January 15, 2010 at 9:12 am

Ooo I see, I just caved in and bought the whitening one, very liquid-y, not sure if the original is as liquid… cuz it merely took slightly lesser than a minute to get absorbed by skin leaving it velvety smooth. No tacky/stickiness.

am buying the original serum once my EH runs out! 😀

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hey Plue

Will wait for your thoughts on the whitening lotion. The one I use is very liquid. Its like water!

Monstro January 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

Wow, that’s really affordable. I’ve seen one from Skinceuticals online that costs a bomb. Must try! Thanks for the review!

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hi Monstro

Well at least if it doesn’t work, it won’t break your bank 😉

Tine
January 14, 2010 at 9:27 am

During my trip back to M’sia, I bought the moisturising milk. Thought I already have too much lotion to bring back, so I thought the milk might be something good to try. Haven’t tried it yet though, since my current moisturiser still have not depleted 😛

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hey Tine

Oho! I shall wait for what you think about the moisturizing milk 😀

prettybeautiful
January 14, 2010 at 9:40 am

hey parisb, u know what? damn im convinced!!! argh!!!!

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hiya prettybeautiful

LOL! Save remember?! 😀

Reese January 14, 2010 at 9:44 am

After reading Connie’s review, I have been wanting to buy it, in fact been wanting to get one ever since I saw it on a pharmacy’s shelf but made mental note to check out your review first. Ok, if I am anywhere near the any larger pharmacy, I will definitely get a bottle!

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

Hi Reese

I hope it will work for you as well as it did for Connie and me 😀 It does take a bit of work but I like the results.

beetrice January 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

been keeping an eye out for it, but alas, no luck yet….dammit! i’m intrigued by the “toing toing” prospect…heehee… 😀

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

Hey Beetrice

Have you tried standing counters? I think some Guardians have them on standalone counters.

Connie
January 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

I hum when I do the “toing toing”… feels like I’m doing the red indian (PC: Native Americans) sounds as a kid :p

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

LOL! I’m going to try that Connie!

Jean January 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

i will get this for sure!!!! Just that I always cannot find it when I got money in pocket..lol

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Hi Jean

Its a bit of a bummer isn’t it when that happens? Hope you find it soon :)

Celine January 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Got myself a bottle! Yay! The first time I use I realized I pour too much. It ended up sticky on my face the whole day! Gosh! I should use 2 drops in the future :)

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Yay Celine! I do realize that too much can make the face feel sticky. Thus far, 2 drops is just right :)

zhenling January 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm

hyaluronic acid serums all end up breaking me out. do you think it is just the formulations or am i just not suitable for hyaluronic acid? =[

ParisB January 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hi Zhenling

It might be that you are allergic to hyaluronic acid or that it does not suit your skin. It happens.

babysaffron January 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Hi….I’m acne prone and not sure if i can use the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion. I also have very dry skin…
Thanks.

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hi Babysaffron

Honestly, I’ll have no idea if it’ll work for you. The only way is to try it and if you suffer irritation, stop.

Jyoan January 14, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Wow, thanks for the review! I have been wanting to try out hyaluronic acid skincare for some time now. But I have no idea which is the best. There are just too many hyaluronic stuff out there, especially from taiwan, so I don’t dare to buy. I love jap brands, and I think this one looks really reliable. Will keep a lookout for it!.

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi Jyoan

I’d say its reliable only because its by Rohto Mentholatum which is big enough by itself :) I haven’t tried many hyaluronic acid products either. This is one of my first.

Hasegawa Ayane January 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I bought the Arbutin Whitening Essence to try. I really liked how it absorbed easily and didn’t have a fragrance. I will probably try this out and the cleanser once my current one runs out. Thanks for your review :)

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Hiya Hasegawa

Oh I haven’t tried that one but I’m curious hehe… Thanks for sharing

Synaesthesia January 14, 2010 at 5:18 pm

been to many Guardians but never seen one… Saw something similar but not HADA LABO… weird…

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Hi Synaesthesia

Its really quite hard to find even in KL – keep looking!

Yani January 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I was sold at “toing”, “toing”! Will be looking out for it!!

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hey Yani

Ya! It was surprising – your skin actually feels like that girls’ in the video!

Cece January 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Is facial stuff with paraben (methyl, ethyl etc) harmful to the skin? I heard they’re not good but some brands have them and people still buy?

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hi Cece

The opinions are divided. I shared some thoughts before in a previous post. I’m not about to chuck up every product that contains parabens for now but it pays to be aware.

Jessica January 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

wow…toing toing huh? I’m sold PB!

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Haha… I hope you like it Jessica!

fiona January 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm

omg! the commercial looks amazing!

do you know if it’s available in singapore as well?? or i’ll have to make a trip across the causeway for this!

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hi Fiona

I’m told it should be available in Singapore but I’m not sure if its already out there. Do give us a shout out if it is :)

Jessica C January 15, 2010 at 10:50 am

Was glad I bought this, although I was tempted to get their AHA/BHA cleanser as well, for facial skin as smooth & poreless as an egg. Tempting no? But no reviews on tht yet, so I’d pass on it.
I’m using this now. It’s really good. One of my faves. It seems to be keeping my skin moisturized & my skin’s less oily = less breakouts! A major yay!

Your 2 drops do seem a lot more than 2.. Haha, I usually use 3 & I just rub it in all over. It absorbs fast for me :)

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Hiya Jessica C

Glad to hear about its oil control properties. Since I’m not oily skinned I couldn’t test that bit :)

jolie January 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

do you know which particular guardian carries this? tried locating but couldn’t get ahold..

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hi Jolie

I’ve seen this at MidValley and KLCC and the one at Bangsar too. Its sometimes in a small standalone counter or on the shelves.

Adrianna January 15, 2010 at 12:38 pm

This is very tempting! Been sitting on the fence on whether to buy or not ever since Guardian started selling this, but I’ve jars of moisturiser unopened yet.

ParisB January 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hiya Adrianna

Well if you dont’ already have a toner, then this could fit right in since its not a moisturizer! 😉

Corrine January 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Hi Paris,
You should try the cleanser too…fragrance free and great product of Hada Labo..

BTW, momus taiwan having similar lotion too..have a look at their product..worth to try and its cheap!!
momus.com.tw

ParisB January 16, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’ll do that once my present cleanser runs out. Haven’t heard of Momus before though.

lntan January 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hi Paris, Thank you for this review! Would you say this is a good alternative to + H20’s face Oasis hydrating Treatment as this is more affordable? :) r they somewhat similar?

ParisB January 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hi Intan, I’d say that this is a compliment to the H20+ Face Oasis, not an alternative. The lotion goes on before moisturizer and you do still need moisturizer :)

Junkie January 18, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Hey!
Do you think this will work as well on combination skin? I have a kinda oily (not extreme) nose with some blackheads, although the rest of my face is pretty normal. While I’m so wanting to buy this lotion in hope that my plumped skin will conceal my pores, I’m also afraid that it’ll make my nose even more oily! What do you think? :) Thanks for the great review!

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

I have combination skin and it works well for me. I don’t experience any oiliness because it does not add oil to the skin just help keep it moisturized. HTH!

dmj January 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

i just bought mine for only rm34.90. The funny thing is despite the complain of the difficulty to locate this product in KL, they’re in every Guardian store in JB. just my luck perhaps?

although paris only use 2 drops, i have to use 3 drops. it’s good enough for my dry skin. love!!

Doreen January 20, 2010 at 10:32 am

where can i buy it?? i at ‘?????‘ thr cnt find it><

ParisB January 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’m not sure where you are but Hada Labo is available at Guardian stores. Perhaps try a bigger store.

dpegasus January 27, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I bought it at RM34.88 only

Priscilla February 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm

wow envy you guys who got an hand of this product.
hope it’ll launch in singapore soon!

DL February 11, 2010 at 12:28 am

gosh, try the cleanser!! it’s fantastic!! I’m such a hadalabo convert! The whitening cleanser (rm16.90 only!!) really evened out my skintone, got rid of my blemishes and my skin isn’t so dry anymore. REALLY REALLY GOOD! Even my cousin who was uses SKII and shiseido says she is a sure convert. no harm trying really… can’t wait to buy the rest of the products!

amberly February 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

do you know where i can get it online cause i live in the us.

ParisB February 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I saw it on sasa.com which ships internationally. I have not shopped on the site so I cannot vouch for its service. But its a place to start :)

Hani Syahida February 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

I read that it has 2 types. from Japan & China. is it true? which one is better?
one more thing, does it contain alchohol or not? I am confuse ;-(

ParisB February 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I’ve no idea about this sorry. The one I have is Made in China and I’ve given my views on this in my review :) Not sure about alcohol

Joey March 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I got this sample from nuyou magazine. I’m using it and feel it is great. It makes me feel my skin is soften. But I have no sure whether do I need to user toner after apply it? Could you mind to give me some advise, please? Thanks.

ParisB March 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm

If you got the Lotion then this IS the toner. No need for a separate toner. Just follow up with moisturizer.

bunny March 8, 2010 at 9:28 pm

just wanted to say, i stumbled upon your website while trying to research on obscure stuff like Zo skin health and Escentials..and i must say, i really love your style of writing and your reviews! loves!

and i just bought this bottle about 3 days ago, and yea, it takes f to absorb. at first i wasnt sure if i should just apply it straight after my facewash, or if i should use toner and serum first. bleh. and i did try using it in place of moisturizer, but you’re right, i dont recommend it.

i have really sensitive skin, some products can make my face break out like a mardi gras party, and im happy to say this doesnt do that. hathat, now i wanan try the whitening version of this.

have you tried it?

ParisB March 8, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Thank you and no, I have not tried the whitening version of the lotion. I’ll share if I do :)

esther March 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

how about the brand “jojo moist” that sell in watson? i heard in the program “lady queen” (nu ren wo zui da) got recomand. Which one is better? Hada labo or jojo moist?

ParisB March 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Apologies I have not tried Jojo Aquamoist

Pearlyn April 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Hey sorry if this comment is abit too late.

I’m still abit confused whether this product is a toner or moisturizer.

You stated that this is a toner, but if after cleaning our face, usually we use toner with cotton pads to wipe off hidden dirts that facial wash didn’t get to remove right. So if after washing our face we straight away put this hada labo moisturizing lotion, wouldn’t it be erm..still feeling abit dirty?

Can i wipe my face off with toner first, then only apply the hada labo? Then only apply a little of my moisturizer? Or whichever you recommend?

Thanks!

ParisB April 16, 2010 at 3:56 pm

This is a toner. It depends on what you believe “toner” to be. In Japanese and Asian skincare, there is no toner the way you understand. “Toner” or “Lotion” in Japanese and Asian brands comes after cleansing and adds moisture. I don’t believe in a “cleaning toner” because if your cleanser can’t get your skin clean, its time to change the cleanser. Its a personal believe. If you feel more comfortable using a toner first then the Hada Labo you can do that. Hada Labo comes before moisturizer whatever step you use.

This is how I view it and I’ve shared my thoughts on whether toner is necessary here.

sabrina April 27, 2010 at 7:41 pm

i got my hada labo lotion in japan and they are made in japan based on the label. i guess different factory location for different market? hmm.. got it at ¥880 per 170ml bottle.

song April 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

i been using hada labo for a month pluss, no doubt is very moist to my skin, but 1 thing i noticed throughout the 1 month plus is my pores become more visible..may i know why it will be like this?what should i use to make my pores become less visible?

ParisB April 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I like using the Vichy Pore Resurfacing Essence for pore issues.

stephy May 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm

hi!
i understand that there is a light & normal version for this. red/ green, which is the lighter version?

ParisB May 4, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Apologies I was not aware there were light/normal versions. I only know of one – the one shown in the picture. The others are of different ranges e.g. AHA/BHA, Whitening

stephy May 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm

oic! i guess i mixed up with juju aquamoist oops.
thanks anyway! :)

Littledot May 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

Hi thanks for your review. Do you know if it can be applied on eyes too? I am using fancl lotion n their products allow me to do so on my dry skin near eye, if can I may have found a great substitute!

Claris June 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm

hi, i just the Moisturizing Lotion.. I’ve tested the lotion in the shop n find that the texture isn’t the same as normal toner.. what i usually do is that i will pour some toner on a cotton pad and wipe it over my face.. Do you think that i can stil use this method with Hada Labo’s?

ParisB June 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm

You can but you’ll find it too sticky and you won’t like it then. This lotion is best used as instructed to get the best benefits. This isn’t a toner but a lotion. I’ve explained the difference if you run a search on this blog.

Heygirl July 4, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Is it ok for oily skin?? cause i’m scared that it will break me out…please help…!!!

Jen July 26, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Hi,

I started using this for 2-3 days now and find that my skin feels dryer!
I have oily / sensitive/combination skin and find that my cheeks feel dryer after using this.

Usually after cleansing, I use Shiseido Softener (pat on) and face feels softer & moisturized. Aft that, I follow up with a moisturizer and face feels comfortable.

After i replaced my Shiseido Softener with Hada Labo hydrating lotion, I find that skin feels dry after it gets absorbed. & even after slathering on moisturizer, skin still feels thirsty & i just went to reapply more moisturizer.

Strange! Because everyone is gushing about how this adds moisture. But i heard that if u use a lotion and dont use a moisturizer, the lotion will suck up the moisture in the skin (read this in another blog reviewing the hydra lotion).

Hmmmm.

Elycia Tan July 30, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I hv sensitive skin to suit for use? Can u introduce which is suit for my skin?

Sina August 19, 2010 at 11:06 am

Wow! It is so much cheaper in Malaysia. In Singapore, we are paying like S$22.90 (equivalent to RM 53). Thank you for your feedback. Actually due the affodable price, I used it every night all over my neck, arms and legs.

Eisse J August 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for the review. I’ve been using the moisturising lotion…just massaging it..not patting =p But it absorbs quite well too. Will purchase it again coz skin is more soft & supple

keynah September 9, 2010 at 5:02 pm

may i know these all product is suitable for oily skin?
i wanna try it on but i worried if no impact on me..haha

ParisB September 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I’m told its formulated for all skintypes but you won’t know if it works till you try. Each of us have different skintypes and our skins react differently to all products. Its not expensive. Give it a shot.

keynah September 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm

but from the comments all talk about effectiveness on dry skin..
ermm..should i try on the hada labo super hyaluronic acid moistuzing lotion?
anyways thanx for d reply..

LeyanaLaila October 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I just got it yesterday and i like it!!~ i got 10% discount at guardian Banting!~ ^^

rosejaejoong December 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm

this is my favorite product by the way,i used this every morning before i apply my makeup.makes my skin moist and makeup is easily applied plus i think it makes my makeup look more nice and natural.
rosejaejoong recently blogged…Changing Status &amp Growing Up This ChristmasMy Profile

Steffy January 28, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Hi there,

I started using this product when my sister brought it from singapore to london. I love it! it is amazing. My skin felt much smoother.

At the moment, there is commerial retailer selling Hada Labo products in London.
I found it on ebay but it costs me £20 !! almost triple the price in malaysia !!

Steffy

H March 8, 2011 at 10:39 am

Your post says “For those who are concerned, there is no mineral oil, parabens, fragrance or alcohol added” but clearly in the picture, there is methylparaben listed under the ingredients. What’s with the discrepancy?

ParisB March 8, 2011 at 11:00 am

Thanks for the observation. It was my mistake – the label says no mineral oil, fragrance, alcohol or colorants added. I’ve rectified it accordingly. Thanks!

john April 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm

can it remove pimples??

ParisB April 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

No. Its not a medicated product.

Malina April 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Do you think that Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing products range suit for very oily and acne prone face?

ParisB May 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I think it’ll be best to direct your questions to Hada Labo Malaysia at their Facebook page. I don’t have very oily or acne prone skin so I cannot say.

nanc;y October 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

where can i get the products

ParisB
October 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Information on where to find the product is included in the post – in Guardian, Watsons, Caring and most major pharmacies.

Amy March 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I just started to use the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion & face wash for less than a week. At the moment my face looks absolutely fresh & moisturized. However, it didnt cross my mind that Hada Labo in Malaysia is made in China but not Japan. Are those genuine products? Is the ingredient the same? Shall I continue using them as I have no faith in China’s products.

sidney May 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm

The SHA lotion is really good for my rosacea dry skin… just as indicated just a 2 to 3 drop is the right amount to use… anythng more than that will be too heavy for the skin…my skin hydration improve tremedously..really glad to try it.. ^^

Tiffany October 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

I started using it about a week ago and I love it! I am not
sure if it has made my skin more hydrating (I have not exfoliated
it recently since I have returned from vacation), but it definitely
makes it less oily! I have combination skin that is dry, but gets
oily really quick. However, with this product, it takes much longer
for it to get oily and even when it does, my skin does not shine as
much as it used to. It is definitely useful, especially when I work
12 hour shifts!

cassie October 18, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Hye. Thanks for sharing. Love the way you write it ^^ I bought HL mosturizing lotion and I am currently still using other skincare products too. Will it be okay to use it ( HL ) and still having toner from other product? I am confuse whether i should use both or how ????

October 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Depending on what purpose your other toner serves, I don’t see anything wrong with using both products :)