When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you don’t need much more makeup than lipstick

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On May 12, 2014
Last modified:May 11, 2014

Summary:

Ugh, my love for Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks know no bounds! Ugh I say, because they’re such luxurious treats that cause a serious dent to the wallet, and to the head of someone who you throw this at. I always say the Rouge G is like a weapon. When they called it a lipstick bullet, I didn’t think they meant it literally until the Rouge G came along LOL! icon biggrin When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

I have quite a thing for the Guerlain Rouge G formula and while the regular heavy silver bullet is luxury personified, Guerlain shows off their playful side in their few limited edition Rouge G offerings. I have a few of them from previous collections so when I saw that there was a new one out, I was champing at the bit to get at it!

guerlain rose grenat case When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

As luck would have it, one of the limited edition beauties landed on my messy desk and with a squeal of delight, it was the one I was lusting after – Rouge G in Rose Grenat 864.

Guerlain has gone after all pink lovers’ hearts by making a limited edition bright pink case to house the limited edition Rose Grenat and a pale pink case to house its sibling Rose Glace (866) which is a light pink – a colour I wouldn’t wear.

But let me tell you about Rose Grenat, because it’s flying off the shelves, despite the hefty pricetag and if you still don’t know what the fuss is about Rouge G lipsticks, you have to get Rose Grenat because it embodies everything that’s wonderful about these creamy lipsticks. I hesitate to say “must have” but if pockets allow, this is a must have… unless you have Provocative icon wink When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick Let me show you what I mean.

We should be familiar with the Guerlain Rouge G packaging by now, but if you aren’t, this is one of the heaviest lipsticks out there. I haven’t weighed it but trust me, when you’re carrying 3 of them in your makeup pouch at one go, you definitely feel the weight.

guerlain rose grenat rouge g When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

Aside from the hot pink enamel cover, the packaging is pretty much the same as the regular Rouge G line. The lipstick fits with a magnetic click into the cover and when you pull it out, it pops open to reveal a very handy mirror. It’s saved me countless times from having to pull out a separate mirror for touch ups (that you don’t really need anyway!)

The bright pink cover is a surprise departure. Previous limited edition designs had the body come in a black case or a cover with a design on it. This one’s different and while pink or hot pink isn’t a colour to get my blood rushing, the lipstick colour is.

Rose Grenat 864 is a beautiful rose red with a slightly cool base. This colour is one I can quite safely say will flatter most skintones, light or dark, cool or warm. It has a wonderful mix of shades and tones that makes it so wearable. The texture is creamy as with all Rouge G lipsticks, it is opaque in one swipe and it feels and looks incredible on lips.

I love the colour to bits, but I couldn’t help feeling that it looked rather familiar. It wasn’t until I did a side by side swatch test that I realised why I fell in love with Rose Grenat.

guerlain rose grenat swatch When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

It is almost a perfect dupe for the Limited Edition Provocative Rouge G that was released for Christmas 2013! Just look at the swatches above (just 1 swipe mind you!) and tell me I’m not seeing things.

Madame Batifole (another fave – what am I saying, I love all the Rouge G colours I have!) is a much cooler and deeper fuchsia as compared to Rose Grenat and Provocative. The latter two are practically the same colour! So, if you already have Provocative then you won’t need Rose Grenat, unless you love pink and want the pink cover, or you are kicking yourself for not getting another Provocative Rouge G when it was available. Now you can get a colour that’s practically the same.

I don’t quite mind having 2 of the same or similar shade because I love this colour. It’s a colour that really brightens the complexion and makes you look alive. The opacity and pigment is incredible, staying put for hours if that’s your thing and even lasting quite well through food and drink. Did I mention how incredible the Rouge G formula is? I have haven’t I? I’m raving aren’t I? icon biggrin When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick Ok I’ll stop now.

But for the sake of completeness, since I realise that few of us wear lipstick on our arms, here’s how it looks when I wear Rose Grenat.

guerlain rose grenat fotd2 When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

The colour is absolutely stunning, and I love bright shades like this because it means I can downplay the rest of my makeup! It’s far easier and quicker to slick on a bright lip as opposed to messing about with the eyes and getting it wrong (as I’ve been wont to do lately) so Rose Grenat has been quite a saviour for me in the mornings.

So if budget permits, run, don’t walk to your nearest Guerlain counter and pick this one up icon smile When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

In a nutshell

I love Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks as is well documented on the blog whenever I come across it. The texture is creamy yet light, the opacity and colour pigment is incredible and the staying power is wonderful for a product so opaque. Rose Grenat is a limited edition colour for Spring 2014 and comes in a limited edition case with a hot pink cover. The colour is a beautiful rose-red-pink that I feel will flatter almost every skintone but it is incredibly similar to Provocative from Christmas 2013. So, if you have Provocative, you can pass on Rose Grenat. But if you missed out on Provocative or want a back up, then this is it. Love!

Pros: Creamy texture yet light on lips, Opaque in 1 swipe, Strong pigment, Good lasting power on lips, Beautiful lip shade that will flatter most skintones, Mirror included in the cover is very useful, Beautiful packaging as befits the brand

Cons: Pricey, Limited Edition

Who will like this: Anyone who likes wearing creamy, opaque, pigmented lipstick

guerlain rose grenat lipstick When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

I’ve slacked off checking out limited edition stuff this year. It’s just a turn I’m taking, preferring to go back to basics i.e. what works from each brand, which means permanent items. A lot of limited edition items just aren’t living up to standard, but with this lipstick, Guerlain has scored a winner!

Did you check out Rose Grenat or Rose Glace with their limited edition pink covers? Do you have a favourite Rouge G colour?

I love all the Rouge G lipsticks I have but I have to say that the bright shades and reds are among the best I’ve come across in a lipstick from any brand. A personal favourite is Garconne (25), a permanent colour and a bee-yoo-ti-ful red. If you’re ever in the market for a flattering red lipstick, check out Garconne. I hope to remember to review it at some point icon razz When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick But if you prefer something more fun, get Rose Grenat. Promise you, you won’t regret it icon wink When you wear the stunning Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat, you dont need much more makeup than lipstick

Guerlain Rouge G Rose Grenat 864 Price: RM182 Availability: Guerlain counters and Sephora Limited Edition: Yes, Spring 2014

Disclosure: Featured product was a press sample for consideration. Our commitment is to honesty and fairness. For posting guidelines please read the disclaimer.

Peggy May 12, 2014 at 8:45 am

Loves Guerlain G Lipsticks, the packaging is a major plus coz it have its own mirror. The downsize its really heavy for a lipstick :-)

May 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I fully agree with you Peggy! It’s super heavy! Haha but so luxuriously so, no other lipstick comes close!

Tracy May 12, 2014 at 8:48 am

HOLY what BEAUTY! And I mean you! The lipstick isn’t bad either hahaha! I’ve been looking for a cool-toned red lipstick FOREVER now, and this looks perfect!
Tracy recently blogged…10/05/14 Beauty Blog Link LoveMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Haha thank you Tracy! :) This is actually a bit more pink than red which might suit your recent leaning towards pink! :)

Sheila
May 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

Wow it looks so red on you! It’s definitely more pink on me. I guess this is one of those shades you really have to try on; regardless it will be beautiful though!
Sheila recently blogged…Review + thoughts: Lise Watier Summer 2014 Eden Tropical collectionMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I absolutely agree with you Sheila – it’s gorgeous either way! I do wonder if lighting might have anything to do with it? I’ve realised our tropical sun is warmer so maybe that’s why the red shows more than the pink :)

Shieja Rahim May 12, 2014 at 9:36 am

One word… just Stunning!

May 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Don’t miss it, Shieja! ;)

Joy May 12, 2014 at 10:03 am

it looks awesome! i have no skills with intense red lipsticks :( the problems it can cause takes more time to fix than slapping on some eyeshadow.
Joy recently blogged…Battle of the New LippiesMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hi Joy, the great thing about all the Rouge G I’ve tried so far is how easy they are to slick on! You know how some red lipsticks tug at your lips or sometimes the bullet causes you to draw a little out of line? I don’t have that problem with this one. That said, it could also be because I’m used to it so I’m the opposite of you! In a hurry, I skip the eye makeup – too much risk! haha

Joy May 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

it’s not the tug that’s causing the problem. it’s probably just the lack of practice. my boyfriend loves smokey eye looks and after practicing for over 6 months (and many repeats of youtube tutorials), i can finally get the shape and look i want most of the time. i haven’t put that kind of effort into mastering red lips :P maybe i should… he loves a red lip too… but the lip product drawer is already overflowing :P
Joy recently blogged…Tweezerman vs Sigma: an Exploration of Tweezerman’s New Makeup Brush LineMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Haha on the bright side I can tell you that learning to put on a red or bright lip colour is a lot easier than learning a smokey eye! :D Speaking from experience because I’ve mastered the former but not the latter :P

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous
May 12, 2014 at 12:43 pm

GASP! Will you take a look at that? That colour on you … omg. Just wow. Stunning! I need another lipstick like I need a third nipple but omg. I want. Eek!

May 22, 2014 at 3:37 pm

You do realise a third nipple will make you a witch? ;) But yes you need it regardless so you’d be erm… bewitching! LOL!

LeGeeque May 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Homai. *adding it to the list* I’ve been so overworked I need soemthnig to look forward to. This item will be it!

My favourite Rouge G to be honest is Madame Batifole which I’ve used so much of. It’s a lovely colour and my heart breaks that I’m about to finish it :(

May 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Yes, I think you should get this because it’s your colour! I like Madame Batifole too but it’s a bit “strong” for the weather here when it’s bright and sunny because I find it leans a little more to cooler weather. Regardless, it’s gorgeous (find a backup on Snet? ;) )

shasha May 12, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Oh my! I fell in love with Provocative when it was released, but I didn’t managed to get it back when it was released, and you’ve just given me an absolute stunning dupe! Wants wants wants! The colour looks absolutely gorgeous on you! Gosh :D

May 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Yay yes indeed! This is a close dupe to Provocative and they’re both amazingly gorgeous colours – don’t miss out a 2nd time! ;)

ishi May 12, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I have been in trouble at airports several times because of Rouge G. I had forgotten that it was in my handbag and I just placed the handbag on the conveyor belt to be scanned. After all, unlike telephones and tablets, who thinks twice about lipsticks in handbags,… that is until everyone behind the monitor gets excited and starts pointing at the screen and I get hauled up from the line and urged to have the handbag re-scanned. The first time this happened, I really cannot guess could cause such excitement. I know enough, after losing my beloved Swiss army knife in Beijing airport, to not be stupid as to have such items in my carry on. After the second scan the officers were still excited. It seems that the offending items did not miraculously disappear nor was it an error on the scanner part. It was time to get tough. I was instructed to reveal the contents of my handbag. So out come the purse….the bits of chewing gum, tissues and all the secrets of the woman’s handbag, revealed to the world…and finally the Rouge G. The excitement it caused ..one could not be blamed if one were to venture a guess that the items causing such excitement was a hand grenade…. Right!

So, everyone got excited. I told to the officers that it was a lipstick. But no! the foreigner is not to be believed! I made a trace in front of my face attempting to describe the item as a lipstick. Seeing such disbelief in their eyes i had to open up the bullet to reveal the bright red rouge. Only then, did the women among them went..aahhhhhh and laughed.

I thought about leaving it with the ladies as a gift, but thought better of it in case I be hauled in again for attempting to bribe the customs officers…

May 22, 2014 at 3:41 pm

HAHA OMG Thank you so much for sharing your story Ishi! I can’t imagine how complicated it must have been especially when it does look like a weapon and who’s to say that it isn’t some secret gadget ala James Bond right? Now that’s a warning to me not to be too hasty to travel with my Rouge G! ;)

Sunny
May 12, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Hey Paris, isn’t this ah-mazing??? I’ve got to say Provocative and Rose Grenat are different enough on me though (Povocative is darker and more red). Both are gorgeous shades, and that formula is seriously to-die-for!
Sunny recently blogged…Caudalie Gets More Divine with Caudalie Parfum Divin!My Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:42 pm

It most certainly is amazing Sunny! I bet it looks absolutely stunning on you too – Guerlain makes such amazing lipsticks!

Arianne
May 12, 2014 at 8:43 pm

YASSSS. So gorgeous, Paris! Loving this lipstick on you. Great red. :)
Arianne recently blogged…Lilac Love AffairMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thank you Arianne! I could so see you rocking this red too! :D

Jyoan May 12, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I missed it! =( I was actually looking out for it, but missed due to busy work schedule. All gone in Singapore.
Jyoan recently blogged…Skin Watchers Papaya Moisture Exfoliating Gel [Korean]My Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Oh no I didn’t realise that they’d disappear so quickly! I think they just got released here not too long before I posted about it but I bet it’s mostly gone by now. What a pity!

Jacqueline May 12, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I absolutely want this shade but I fear I will never get it since it’s oos here in Sg. I looks fab on you Paris. I love the Rouge G a lot too, it’s kinda woken up the hoard monster in me. My next Rouge G has got to be Gracy since I cannot get my hands on Rose Grenat.

May 22, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Sigh, don’t you hate it when that happens? I wish they’d make these beautiful shades permanent. That said, the permanent range has a lot of lovely reds too (If there’s one thing Guerlain does well, it’s their red lipstick!) and Gracy looks to be an excellent choice!

Nicci May 13, 2014 at 1:18 am

Rose Grenat looks freakin’ gorgeous on you! I love it but I need to go swatch it against Grenade – not sure if they’re too similar to have both.
Nicci recently blogged…April faves (and flops)My Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Nicci! I looked up Grenade and it appears to have some shimmer in it? It also looks to be a softer pink than this which as lashings of red in it. What can I say? I’m just an enabler haha! And you are too because now you have me wanting to check out Grenade! :D

gio May 13, 2014 at 3:24 am

Wow! That looks amazing on you!
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Avon True Colour Eyeshadow Duo In Black StarMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thank you Gio! :)

Honey May 13, 2014 at 8:31 am

OMG! I just want to get this for the beautiful pink casing. Have stayed away from Guerlain lippy although you have raved, and raved about it due to the $$$. But this bright pink casing is just up my alley and this shade is gorgeous :). It would be lovely even if just to keep it in my handbag. Lol. I’ll probably take a stroll pass the Guerlain counter……

PS, Paris, I haven’t yet bought the Bobbi Brown’s eyeliner. Care to guess why? It’s yet to be launched in Australia! They told me probably May/June. Bummer :(

May 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Haha yes the packaging is certainly something! I’ve never seen Guerlain do this packaging before so I can imagine it will get a lot of attention ;) It’s very pricey in Australia though, isn’t it? Prices of cosmetics there always shock me :P Oh and the Bobbi Brown liners aren’t there yet? Now that’s a surprise! :O

Honey May 23, 2014 at 9:01 am

Actually drugstore brands are expensive here. It makes sense to buy department store brands. That’s why I am now more motivated to look into Bobbi Brown and Guerlain.

May 24, 2014 at 9:56 am

That is so true! And if all else fails, there’s always online shopping! :D

Grace May 13, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Okay, ok you sold me ;) I am going to do some lip stick, no red lip stick shopping this weekend. I usually wear nude colours as I am not very good with make up and don’t want to make a fool of myself. I am going to take your recommendations and give it a go xx

May 22, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Good luck Grace and remember, it’s just makeup :) I rarely wear nude lip colours because it’s so easy to look tired or sick and I’d have to play up other aspects of my makeup. With a red lipstick, you’re pretty much done with one slick ;) Try it and let me know how it goes!

Arpita May 14, 2014 at 2:23 am

This is just mean! LOOK AT THEM! Must have!

May 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Haha oops? :P Did you manage to get Rose Grenat? :D

Arpita May 22, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Afraid not! The presence of Hakuhodo and the Estee Lauder sale have left me in financial ruin. I am pretending makeup doesn’t exist for a while!

May 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Haha I heard about the EL sale but wisely stayed away ;) Did you do a nice big haul at Hakuhodo? I did a bit of shopping by proxy which was pretty detrimental to my wallet too!

plue
May 14, 2014 at 11:46 am

absolutely stunning! not the price though lol! :P
plue recently blogged…Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

May 22, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Haha I fully agree!

CELINE May 16, 2014 at 12:39 am

Noooo it\’s not available in the UK!! That may be for the best though… At least I have my fave \”gigolo\” to keep me company, hu hu hu ;)
CELINE recently blogged…Review : Decleor Aromessence Mandarine Smoothing Night BalmMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Oh dear why isn’t it available in the UK? That’s a travesty! :P I don’t have gigolo but erm… I need one for myself don’t I? ;)

Shari May 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I’ve always been a fan of the Rouge G formula!
Not so sure if I love the pink tube or not but I’m surely swatching it when I get the chance. You look so lovely, Paris! And that enviable collection of Rouge Gs… NOM!
Shari recently blogged…Summertime PinksMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I know for sure it wasn’t the pink tube that got to me since I’m not a huge fan of anything pink, but it most certainly makes it stand out among it’s brethren! :D Thanks lovely.

Erin May 16, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I’m new to your blog, and really like how you objectively write about the pros and cons of the makeup you review. You have a cute, conversational style of writing. Anyway, love the look of these new lipstick gizmos! Lol, I say that because I’m new to the ultra high end stuff, including Guerlain, but I’m hooked. Also being as how I’m a pinkaholic, this will be another item to covet! Is the formula as beautiful as the case? Just beautiful. If makeup had its own museum, this would be on a pedestal.

May 22, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Hi Erin, welcome! :) Thanks for leaving a comment and I hope to see you around ;) The formula of Rouge G (any colour) is amazing! It’s creamy yet lightweight and the colours are so intense so if you like creamy, bold coloured lipsticks, you need look no further! :D

Joann May 16, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Oh I have been dying to buy one of these!! I don’t think it’d be a lipstick I’d want to put in my bag and travel around with, but it would definitely look great on my vanity!
The packaging is something I am definitely attracted to. It’s $51 in Canada which is incredibly expensive!!!! I think I can only justify the purchase on my birthday or christmas. I don’t wear lipstick that often anyhow. So I can wait a little longer to buy this. I have a a Tom Ford lipstick I really want right now anyhow.
Joann recently blogged…Etude House: Wonder Pore Freshener Toner ReviewMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I can assure you it looks amazing on the vanity and will be one you won’t mind pulling out for touch ups at the meal table haha! ;) The pricetag is however, very prohibitive as I will absolutely concur. The range is permanent so there’s time to get a colour even if not this one. The permanent colours are pretty amazing too! (Ooh and which Tom Ford? Since we don’t have Tom Ford here, I haven’t been paying a lot of attention ;) )

Joann May 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm

The Guerlain rouge g rose line is quite bright. I’m slowly starting to wear red-pink colours, so it’ll take some time to getting used to. I will definitely stop by a Sephora sometime soon to see what colours are available.
Tom Ford is only sold at one high end store that I’m aware of in Canada. And from what I’ve researched, their lipsticks are just called ‘Tom Ford Lip Colors’. They’ve since released a few hydrating lip colour/gloss sticks and lip sheers, but the lip sheers the colours are more difficult to find. As for the Lip colours, I’m interested in either, Indian Rose or Spanish pink. I like colours that are more neutral. But a hint of pink or red isn’t too bad.
Joann recently blogged…Sasa, The Face Shop and Bath and Body Works Candle HaulMy Profile

May 24, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ooh yes, definitely check the colours out because some are softer and some a louder so it will depend on what you’re most comfortable with :) I have a couple of Tom Ford lipsticks, from the regular range, not the Shine nor sheer versions. They’re really very good! I went for brighter colours (I sense a pattern here LOL!) but I’ve seen a lot of raves for Spanish Pink which looks like such a wearable everyday colour! I can imagine you’d get most use out of that one :)

dain May 17, 2014 at 2:20 am

Omgggg so gorgeous… i really adore the packaging but would think twice considering its price.. urgh..maybe i can be a good girl and treat myself one for being..errr.. a good girl?
dain recently blogged…Maybelline Lashionista Mascara , A Never Ending Eyelash ExtensionMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Hahahaha… why not Dain? ;) That said, the colour is gorgeous but the permanent range too has lots of lovely colours so if this is hard on the wallet right now, perhaps save up a little and get a permanent colour later? :)

Ting May 19, 2014 at 8:55 am

Imagine carrying ALL of your Guerlain lipsticks in your handbag… :p

That colour is simply WOW on you. It’s like… visual stimulation when you really need one early in the morning (i.e. now). hahaha

May 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Erm… only if I wanted to dislocate my shoulder or use my bag as a weapon? :P Thanks Ting – at least you didn’t say scary! :P BTW With what’s happening now in BKK, stay safe! My trip has been pushed back again :(