If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, I’m afraid I’m going to burst your bubble

in Blush,FOTD,Makeup,New on shelves,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On February 10, 2014
Last modified:February 9, 2014

Summary:

One of the more interesting things to come out of the Guerlain stables for Spring 2014 is this little cutie – the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush. When I first heard about it, I thought it might be a liquid blush with bubbles in it, akin to a fizzy drink. Happily, I was mistaken. Could you imagine a blush like that? Actually, it might be fun won’t it icon razz If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

guerlain bubble blush cherry If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

But no, this is what you get. a domed shaped cream blush which brings to mind that of a roll-on deodorant except this doesn’t roll. It’s static. There are 2 shades available in this limited edition item – 01 Pink and 02 Cherry. The one pictured here is 02 Cherry - in pot, a bright raspberry pink.

Right off, I’m going to tell you that I have mixed feelings about this product. In terms of product performance, I give it 5 stars. It’s a great cream blush and it lasts and it just looks beautiful on. In terms of packaging, it doesn’t deserve the luxury name nor price. I’ll tell you why I think so icon smile If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

First, the product.

guerlain bubble blush cherry3 If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

The blush is a cream blush in a dome shape and contained within a squat tub. The idea isn’t new, as I learned after I put this up on Instagram a while ago. Apparently brands like Shu Uemura have already done this as well as a couple of other Asian brands I believe.

The idea is that you can use the product straight from the tub. Just dab the dome blush on your cheeks and blend it out for a very lovely, soft, diffused colour. Ideally, that is. I tried it this way and it works. But I didn’t like it. I found that it deposited too much colour and when you blend, away goes your foundation, unless you are blending directly on bare skin. It might work for the lighter 01 Pink, but not for 02 Cherry.

The best way to use this I eventually discovered, was using a brush and applying it as I have shown in an earlier cream blush tutorial. I use the Sigma F84 kabuki brush or the Real Techniques Stippling Brush, brush the top of the blush to pick up product and take it to my skin. This way, I get a lovely diffused blush, blending is very easy and my fingers stay clean.

guerlain bubble blush cherry swatch If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush 02 Cherry Swatch

Here is a swatch of the product, swatched rather heavily by running the dome of the blush down my arm. Colour-wise, Cherry is a cool toned raspberry pink shade that is almost fuchsia. This is the type of colour I usually don’t go for because like the YSL Blush Radiance No. 6 the deep tones tend to accentuate pigmentation. It’s funny but it does.

So when I tried using it as recommended by swiping the blush down my cheek and blending, I didn’t like the effect. However, when I used it with a brush as I mentioned above, the colour went on more subtly and more diffused and it gave me that lovely blushing from within look that was very natural.

Here’s how it looks on me applied using a brush.

guerlain fotd3 If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

The cream isn’t too creamy nor is it too dry the way some are. To the touch, there is some slip but it is for the most part, dry touch. Blending is a breeze whether with fingers or a brush and it settles beautifully on the skin and lasts an incredibly long time. All day for me (but I do not have oily skin) on top of foundation. It is a very lovely product.

BUT!

But Guerlain, what the heck were you thinking putting this incredible product into such horrible tacky packaging?!

guerlain bubble blush cherry2 If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

This very lovely formula comes housed in a white plastic tub that feels pretty flimsy but the icing on the cake as it were, is the clear plastic screw on cover that feels and looks like it would crack under the slightest pressure. If not for the name on the side and the logo on the cap, place this product on any pharmacy/drugstore shelf and it would fit right in.

Place it among Guerlain’s luxurious offerings and it stands out like an angry red zit on an otherwise flawless face. This Bubble Blush is the pustule in the otherwise flawless Guerlain collections I’ve been seeing come out of Maison Guerlain.

Do I sound disappointed? You think?!

guerlain bubble blush cherry size If you like the Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush, Im afraid Im going to burst your bubble

It is quite small as well coming in at 7g which isn’t something I’d mention usually, if this was better housed. I guess I’ve come to expect great things from Guerlain. They have rarely let me down in terms of product performance and packaging and I’m a huge fan of the brand but this Bubble Blush looks like an afterthought. Almost as if someone came across this and said “Oh, our Meteorites Blossom Sping collection is looking a bit bare, let’s just toss this in. Nevermind about the packaging. People will buy anyway”

And they will, because some people won’t mind. They’ll say it’s a great product (and it is!) and they’ll forgive the RM140/US$42 pricetag and the crappy plastic case. It’s ok. But it’s not.

So as much as I really liked the Meteorites Bubble Blush and as much as I thoroughly enjoyed using it, I’m going to put my neck out there and say that it isn’t worth the money. Save your money for something better because there are many other selections of good cream blushes in the market. If you really want a no-fail option, get a Canmake cream blush. Sure, it comes in flimsy plastic packaging as well, but it costs something like RM40 or thereabouts and goes on sale. You can’t beat it for value. Tsk! I expected better from Guerlain.

In a nutshell

The Meteorites Bubble Blush is an excellent product but let down by utterly unforgiveable flimsy plastic packaging. If you get over the packaging or are prepared to ignore it then the cream blush is absolutely lovely. It isn’t too creamy to be oily, it stays on skin well for most of the day, it blends very easily and looks lovely and natural and gives you a very natural glow from within. Despite the 5 star performance, I don’t think it value for money simply because it comes in crappy packaging that looks like an afterthought. I think this product not worthy of the Guerlain label and the asking price. But don’t let it stop you if you love this enough.

Pros: Not too creamy or oily, Easy to use even without a brush, Easy to blend, Longlasting, Looks natural and gives skin a lovely healthy glow

Cons: Horrible flimsy plastic packaging , Pricey

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a very easy to use cream blush, Anyone who doesn’t mind the cheap and tacky packaging

Have you checked out the Meteorites Bubble Blush? Have you seen something similar in other brands?

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention coz these sort of products don’t usually get my attention. I like blush, but less so cream blush and especially not gimmicky looking packaging. I don’t deny the formula is awesome so I do hope that Guerlain repackages this some time into a proper compact or something that looks better. It’d be a winner!

Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush comes in 01 Pink and 02 Cherry Price: RM140/US$42 Availability: Guerlain counters

Disclosure: Featured product was a press sample for consideration. Our commitment is to provide our honest thoughts on this. For posting guidelines please read the disclaimer.

Teri February 10, 2014 at 9:03 am

I think we’re all wondering what they were thinking in the design process of these blushes. I have Cherry like you and the packaging is really very plastic-not-so-fantastic. When I heard Guerlain doing their version of a cream blush this was actually the last of thing I’d expect ;). Good thing the blush itself is good tho, phew!

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Yes! I want to sit the designer down and ask what prompted this travesty :P I wish they had made it flat and put it in a proper compact. I do like the formula and wish it was packaged in a manner fitting of Guerlain!

Melanie February 10, 2014 at 9:13 am

It looks like product sample, not the full sized product. Whoever came up with that packaging should be fired. It doesn’t go with anything else in the Guerlain lineup. Usually their packaging is nice looking at least. For a premium price I expect premium packaging. I have a few things from them and the best packaging is the meteorites tin. I got the bronzer you recently reviewed and love it, the compact is beautiful but hinge area looks so easy to crack I have to be careful when I open it. I also have the duty free pallet in the zipped container, not fan of the packaging or included brush but it’s good for traveling. Threw the brush out though.

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Sadly, those were my thoughts too Melanie. “Did I get a lab sample?” I hope they buck up in coming collections. I have found at least 1 thing to purchase from each collection so far and am quite pleased with them. Last Christmas’s was a surprise hit (bar my dislike for the Meteorites in the gaudy tin) and now that you mention the hinge, I will have to go and look at it. I didn’t really pay attention coz I was oohing and aahing over the lovely compact and heft :)

Carina February 10, 2014 at 9:38 am

This product’s packaging confused me, too! I have a similar-looking one from The Body Shop, and let’s face it, that’s not high-end at all.

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Absolutely Carina! I don’t know what they were thinking in Guerlain’s HQ!

Lily February 10, 2014 at 10:16 am

Eeps, the packaging – thought it was cute, but didn’t expect it to feel cheap. I’ll stick to my Bobbi Brown pot rouge :-P

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Sadly it does feel a little cheap, especially the plastic cover. I can’t wear Pot Rouge, I find it a bit too oily, but I’m curious to try the Chanel cream blushes. Those look very promising!

lyn February 10, 2014 at 11:31 am

Packaging aside, it looks like a really pretty blush on you! You know I’m a sucker for cutesy things but this one just didn’t call out to me. The price tag for such tacky packaging is a turn off. I’m not into cream/liquid blushes anyway so will give this a miss.

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Lyn. Colour and texture is fine to be honest, if they’d done something better about the packaging. I don’t think it very cute even :P Am not that into cream blushes either coz they spoil and I never finish up a blush LOL but ever since I worked out how to use a brush to apply, I’ve been a bit more diligent and the effects are nice :)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections February 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

See, I don’t mind the packaging actually. BUT I don’t like the formula. I need to try it out more ways still, but so far I can’t stand the way it feels on my cheeks. I can tell it’s there, and I don’t like that! I think this is going to be a fail for me!

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

LOL! We’re polar opposites on this one Tracy :D I think the formula was fine – held up surprisingly well in our heat and humidity. I dont’ think I’ve come across your review yet so will wait for your thoughts :D

Victoria February 10, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I have to say the packaging is poor for a luxury brand like Guerlain and not the worth the price too. But I do love how the finish looks on you and I am still quite puzzled at how you say these type of colours actually accentuate your your pigmentation? I must be blind because you look lovely in this colour. LOL. I really need to get that Canmake blush as my first cream blush since you rave about it so much :-)

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Haha in person, it is more obvious. It’s always hard to capture nuances in photos but I find that berry or plum shades in blush tend to make the brown stand out so my pigmentation looks more enhanced. Pink diffuses it so I have started gravitating towards pink blushes :) But thank you, Victoria and yes you need the Canmake blush. I think they have something like 4-6 shades so it isn’t hard to pick one out to like :)

Ting February 10, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Some people might freak out about the “double dip” usage, no? Like… apply directly on skin many times thereby collecting germs…

Colour wise, it really gives you a cute rosy cheeks. Agree with you about the packaging.

Love your aubergine top! :D You are great with any colour, aren’t you? :)

Paris B February 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Yep, that will definitely freak out the germophobes but I think so long as you are the only person using it it’s fine. It’s just that it can get gunky and awful so I think a brush is a much safer bet :) Haha thanks for the compliment and happily I can wear most colours except pink. I know, it’s almost as if I am very anti-pink but it’s true! I can take fuchsia but just not baby pink which makes me look dark and sallow. Oh and can’t handle some yellow and orange too :D

Sunny February 10, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hey Paris, so I have this and I gave it a go yesterday. I ended up making pretty much the same conclusion: great product, but the packaging is… meh. Still, It’s amazing how pigmented this is, but it blends SOOOOO easily! I wish Guerlain would make the formula permanent, but many put it in a different packaging worthy of the brand’s standards!

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Sigh… doesn’t it suck when a great brand makes a grave error in packaging judgment? I do wonder what they were thinking but like you, I would be happy if they repackaged this blush in something more befitting the name and pricetag :)

Sunny February 12, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I do have to say I like the fact that it’s airtight though. I am still skeptical about the packaging of the Chanel ones, and I managed to break one of mine already :(

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Oh no now for Chanel that sucks! I still haven’t checked out the Chanel cream blushes. Am always a bit hesitant to shell out for expensive cream blushes since their lifespan is so short yet I’m dying to try them. Hmm… What a conundrum!

Jacqueline February 10, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Oh Paris, I was put off by the packaging too, that’s why I chose not to pick it up. The shade does look very pretty on you though.

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:18 pm

And I think Cherry would be VERY pretty on you! But it’s wise not to pick it up. It jars my senses to see it sitting amongst other pretties >.<

liyeun February 10, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I like the colour but not the price. Not anywhere near classy for that price, unfortunately.

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Unfortunately not indeed! Hopefully they wise up and release a cream blush in proper luxe packaging

S. Drama&Makeup February 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Why Guerlain, why?! I really didn’t expect this, such a disappointmend. The product does look good on you and I’m happy to hear it performs well. But when I go for a high end brand I do expect something better in terms of packaging, it’s supposed to be part of the -high- price. It almost looks like they were in a hurry to finish the collection and just threw this in.

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

My sentiments exactly, S! WHY?! It is a nice product let down by shoddy packaging and for that, they get 0 points! :P

Anne February 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm

im more worry that if i’ll to buy this…i will mix it up with my deodorant in my morning when i’m mostly in half-awake/mostly-dead mode…both same white plastic tube with clear cap. Not cool with red armpits :p …..horrible horrible design!!

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm

ROFLOL!!! Now that would be quite a sight, Anne! :D

Parita February 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I agree not good packaging especially for a brand like guerlain! Plus it looks like eos lip balms!

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Hmm now you mention it, it does! Just not half as cute :D

Giada February 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm

You’re completely right, I think packagings in highend products are pretty important, and I hate paying a lot if they haven’t a good quality packaging, mainly if it something you can find somewhere else for a fraction of the price. Usually Guerlain is completely careful about every little packaging detail, which makes this whole thing even more a pity.

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Glad you agree, Giada :) Half the time, I believe we are paying for the name and the packaging anyway so to have to pay for this sort of poorly packaged product really gets my blood boiling! I do wonder what Guerlain was thinking. Sigh.

Vicky February 10, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I have purchased Cherry-shade, just like you. Trashy design, nice scent, nice product, the price should be 30-40% lower than it is!

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Absolutely right, Vicky! I wouldn’t mind if they halved the price!

gio February 11, 2014 at 6:22 am

If this were a drugstore blush, I’d think the packaging kinda cute. But from Guerlain I expect something more luxurious. This looks cheap. The blush itself though is very pretty, but at this price point, the packaging too must be perfect to justify the purchase, so I’ll pass. Thanks for the review.

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm

You’re absolutely right, Gio. In a drugstore at drugstore prices, I’d say get it. From Guerlain? Meh… let’s wait and see if they repackage this in time to come ;)

plue February 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

I think this closely resembles to one of Shu Uemura’s previous Spring 2012 blush, also dome shape and cream type, with similar packaging. I think it’s around $25, much cheaper than Guerlain. Guerlain surely didn’t do the packaging right for this blush, where’s the lux feel?!

Paris B February 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, Plue. I haven’t been paying attention to Shu’s releases but someone did mention that it looked similar. Maybe Guerlain borrowed the idea? :P Hopefully they release a nice cream blush formula in proper luxe packaging. At least we don’t feel so bad paying the luxe prices then!

Joyce (bronzerbunny) February 17, 2014 at 12:33 pm

i contemplated getting this but read some mixed reviews. the packaging really doesn’t seem great – i feel like i would crack the lid or something, and what if the blush dries out??

Paris B February 21, 2014 at 5:44 pm

You know, it’s entirely possible that the lid will crack. It looks like those flimsy plastic caps that crack at the slightest pressure. I seriously have no idea what Guerlain was thinking putting it into this packaging!

su February 28, 2014 at 6:01 am

Yeah I remember drooling over the Shu Uemura one ages ago. Then Nature Republic and Fasio got more affordable versions out and Western brands followed suit.
I love the canmake cream cheek gel types. No shimmer just dewy, flushy gorgeousness (and I find their packaging delectable nomnom~)

Paris B March 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Hmm Canmake cream cheek gel? I haven’t seen it but since I do like their cream compact blushes, I might have to check it out don’t I? :P