in Bags,Clothes,Events,Fashion,Food & Lifestyle,New on shelves

Goodness me! Beauty and fashionistas in Malaysia have been so spoilt recently with the introduction of so many new and popular beauty and fashion brands, I’m so afraid to wake up and find out it’s a dream LOL Pinch me!

On second thoughts, don’t pinch me. I bruise easily.

cath kidston Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

The newest brand I’m aware of to enter our market is UK fashion brand, Cath Kidston. Any fans in the house? icon biggrin Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

Cath Kidston is most famous for her vintage designs or what they call “Modern Vintage”, being the use of vintage English heritage prints on modern items. The most popular print that is easily identified with Cath Kidston is the rose, which was one of her earliest designs.

I hestitate to peg Cath Kidston as just fashion because aside from bags and pouches (I honestly thought that was all there is!) there are many household items too, if you’re into that sort of design. I personally am not into the vintage or shabby chic look, but I can’t deny feeling a bit of nostalgia looking at the prints. I can just see the apron hanging from the door of a white kitchen cabinet in the traditional English style, a tea pot on the table, biscuits on the side…

So let me take you on a quick tour of what is supposed to be the region’s largest Cath Kidston store for now, housed in MidValley Megamall, KL icon smile Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

The 110sqm Cath Kidston store here in KL houses quite a good variety of items ranging from the popular canvas and oilcloth bags and totes, to household items, a small selection of clothes and an adorable collection for children and babies! Were I to have nieces, Aunt PB would have decked them out in CK finery icon biggrin Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur Lucky for my wallet, little boys don’t look quite as cute in floral pieces LOL!

cath kidston midvalley2 Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

As I said, I’m not a huge fan of the floral vintage print but I do like the fresh, timeless polkadot designs on Cath Kidston accessories. These are a selection of some of the popular bags and totes in the brand. The Large Zip Bag (RM199) in floral print that you see is a very handy piece to have. It is rather wide and I can see it doing well as an airplane carry on or overnighter or to carry extra stuff because it’s quite hardy and large. Zips up nicely, slings over the shoulder and also comes in polka dot print.

I own a Cath Kidston travel foldaway bag which is brilliant! Folds up into it’s own pouch which you can use separately, is huge and serves as my spare travel bag. Not crazy about the new lightweight fabric though. Mine is a thick hardy material.

cath kidston midvalley Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

Students might be happy to know that you get 10% discount which is something I like. I have noticed these privileges for students and I think it’s great because it’s part of the fun (and privilege) of being a student! I used to make use of my NUS discounts all the time and it’s nice to see it finally happening here too. Better late than never eh? icon wink Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

For accessories, there are pouches, wristlets, phone pouches, phone covers (iPhone only though) and iPad/laptop sleeves amongst others. I was personally very taken with that blue polka dot messenger bag that you see in the lower left picture. It’s adorable and comes in 2 sizes.

cath kidston midvalley3 Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

This Mushroom Teapot is part of a new range of mushroom designed chinaware. They’re so adorable right? It’s a pity I don’t drink tea or I’d have snaffled this one. I could just picture little fairies hiding under the toadstools.

cath kidston midvalley4 Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur cath kidston midvalley5 Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

I’ve only been into one other Cath Kidston store, which was the one in CentralWorld, Bangkok. From my vague recollection, prices locally are competitive or even lower than what I saw in Bangkok. I’m not 100% certain of course. There is a slight mark up from prices in the UK which is something to be expected.

Even if the whimsical, quirky designs aren’t your cup of tea, I suggest taking a browse through the Cath Kidston store simply because it feels like you’re walking around in someone’s (cluttered) home. It’s got an organized cluttered feel that I love, almost like browsing through a little vintage store. And you just never know what you might pick up.

Are you a fan of Cath Kidston?

I’m not really into the vintage, whimsical look but I can’t deny that some items really caught my eye, especially in the polkadot print. I love polka dots! icon biggrin Cath Kidston brings Modern Vintage to Malaysia with their first store in Kuala Lumpur

Cath Kidston is open at Mid Valley Megamall Lot G-011, Ground Floor (opposite Kiehl’s and Vincci) Tel: 03-2201 4810 Prices range from RM15-740

lyn
December 1, 2013 at 9:09 am

Cath Kidston was known for her fabric prints and household goods before she expanded to fashion and accessories. I love her stuff and have ordered a few items from her shop in UK when they were on sale. I’m so happy there’s a store available here now :-) I must drag myself to MV one of these days.
lyn recently blogged…Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation – An Affordable Everyday FoundationMy Profile

December 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

For some reason, I can so see her prints in your kitchen! You do strike me as a Cath Kidston girl ;) I’m not so into the prints or style, but I can’t deny I had a moment of “OMG SO CUTE!” when I was in the store LOL!

Tracy December 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

I’m a HUGE fan!! My iPhone case is Cath Kidston!! I love her prints so much! I wish we had a store here!
Tracy recently blogged…Covergirl The Hunger Games Catching Fire Capitol Collection including The Covergirl Flamed Up Mega Curl MascaraMy Profile

December 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Hahaha that’s so cool Tracy! I never pegged you for a Cath Kidston girl! :D

synical
December 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

Not for me personally, but good for the fans, I suppose.. but I haven’t been there yet, so it’s hard to say..?
synical recently blogged…Fuel Cafe, Damansara UtamaMy Profile

December 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Indeed. Not for me either but it’s always worth a browse in store ;)

Jennifer December 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

I learnt about this brand via counterfeits. Sad but true. I saw a lot of these floral print bags alongside LV and Longchamp at the stalls, so I figured this must be a great brand worthy to be counterfeit. I love floral prints and these are really lovely and dainty. Reminds me of the English version of Naraya. The charm of the design lies in the fabric hence the prints centric based designs comes different shapes and sizes of bags. Thanks for sharing as always, soon I will pop by to have a look. With the recent avalanche of brands landing on our shores like NARS, Tarte and now Cath Kidston, it seems Christmas has arrived in style ;)

December 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Aww but you know that when it’s faked, you’ve made it :P Well ok that’s a sucky way to find out you’ve made it coz I know how it feels to be copied but on the bright side, at least they helped expose you to the brand ;) Now that you mention it, it does have a bit of a Naraya vibe, just without the low prices LOL! I think we have a lot to be happy about with all these new brands coming in. It’s already an achievement!

liyeun December 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I have never owned any from Cath, so cant relate but me love myself some polka dots too! Will definitely check this out as soon as I could. Thanks ?
liyeun recently blogged…5 Makeup Products I’d pick in a Pinch!My Profile

December 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Polka dots are so much fun! I can’t do the floral stuff (I’m so not a floral girl!) but the polka dots give me a happy compromise ;)

lisa December 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I quite like some of their household stuff. Especially those whimsical, colourful polka dotted glasses and that toadstool teapot is just so adorable. One thing i seem to can’t stop wanting to buy are glasses, cups and teapots.

December 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I saw the glasses and cups and thought of getting some, but they were quite pricey and the cute clear polka dotted cups were plastic instead of glass so I passed in the end. I’ll find me some cute glasses elsewhere (I’m really into kitchen stuff too. More so than beauty sometimes, given a choice LOL!)

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous
December 2, 2013 at 7:06 am

I thought I’d like Cath Kidston prints and items since I see lots of pictures of it online and replicas of phone cases sold at Chinese stores. :P
I stumbled upon a Cath Kidston store at Heathrow and thought hey, good time to finally check it out! Sadly, it didn’t appeal to me at all. Oh well, it’s a good thing. Money saved! :)

December 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Haha no, I didn’t peg you for a Cath Kidston girl – a bit too frou frou :P But the little girl stuff were too adorable!

nadia December 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Ahh…I love Cath Kidston!
I got to know about her through sewing!
Love the clothes that she has designed.
I definitely must make a visit to Mid Valley soon.

December 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Ah, if you’re a fan, you’ll enjoy it :) I didn’t see a lot of sewing material though. Mostly bags and some household stuff. Small section of kids items :)

Kendra December 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thanks for the review, I was fascinated with one of their retro polka dot once piece swimsuit that was available online. This store does not seem to carry fashion wear?

December 7, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Hiya, I saw a tiny little clothing section. Really tiny. Read a couple of dresses and a skirt lol! Guess we won’t be seeing swimwear unless they’re confident it’ll sell.