Facial sheet masks – the biggest boon to quick easy at-home pampering ever invented. I don’t know who did, but whoever did, THANK YOU!
Facial sheet masks are one of those things you have to get if you’re ever visiting Asia. They come in one use packs and are so convenient for a quick pick me up. If you want to know why you should use one and whether they work, read this. Asia (in particular Taiwan and Korea) is the hotbed of sheet mask activity and the sheer number of brands, types, benefits that come out of here is seriously mind boggling. Best of all, they are not that pricey for a weekly or bi-weekly treat. I do mine on Sundays, in preparation for the week ahead. When I visited Korea, I came home with half my luggage stuffed with various types of sheet masks. Truth to tell, after going through them, I’ve realised I don’t quite like Korean brand sheet masks.
I prefer sheet masks that come out of Taiwan. They just work better for some reason. So although I wasn’t the biggest fan of My Beauty Diary sheet masks the first time I reviewed them, you might be interested to know that I do repurchase here, because they make my skin feel better. I like the thickness of the material used and the gloopiness of the product that cools my skin down and refreshes it almost instantly.
But you know, that’s sort of past as well, now that I’ve discovered L’Herboflore sheet masks! Move aside MBD, you have serious competition!
L’Herboflore is a brand new brand specializing in facial sheet masks and yes, comes out of Taiwan.
But lest you think its similar to My Beauty Diary, it actually isn’t. L’Herboflore is touted as a luxury brand of sheet masks which means you can expect it to be a little pricier than usual, but its not something you’d have to sell a kidney for. In fact, I’d say its affordable if I compare it with sheet masks sold locally. But believe me when I say that pricier or not, its so worth it. Also, its not that bank breaking and there are different ranges so there’s something for every pocket 🙂
I was introduced to L’Herboflore fairly recently with a very generous care package of a selection of sheet masks to try, so I’ll quickly share my thoughts on them, where you can buy them and why I enjoy using these so much.
There are a few different ranges of masks under L’Herboflore and range from the regular to the premium.
The regular versions come in different ‘flavours’, if you may and retail at about NT$50 each (approx RM5 as of today):-
- Aegean Sea – using sea derived minerals and collagen – Chorella Anti-Oxidant Firming Mask, Deep Sea Balancing Mask, Black Pearl Whitening Mask, Marine Collagen Resilience Lift Mask
- Garden of Venus – floral inspired – Orchid Whitening Hydromask, Rosewater Refining Hydromask, Camellia Nourishing Hydromask, Cherry Blossom Whitening mask, Perfume Lotus Balancing Hydromask, Immortelle Uplift Firming Mask, Apple C Whitening Hydromask, Strawberry Whitening Hydromask, Lychee Translucent Hydromask, Watermelon Vitalizing Hydromask, Grape Anti-Aging Hydromask, Mango Reviving Hydromask
- Party Sweetheart – Tea and Cocoa inspired – Sweety Strawberry Whitening Mask, Sweety Cocoa Moisturising Mask, Sweety Black Tea Balancing Mask
The mid-range flavours retail at NT$80 each (approx RM8.50)
- Aromatherapy – containing aromatherapy scents – Lavender, Palmarosa
The premium ranges retail at NT$100 to NT$260 each (RM10.60 – RM27.70 each)
- Clinical (NT$250) – Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Energy Biocellulose Mask for intense and long lasting moisture and hydration to the skin
- Royal Countess (NT$260) – Royal Pearl Whitening Mask, Royal Bird’s Nest Nourishg Mask
- Clinical 3D (NT$100) – Tranexamic Acid + Truffle Whitening Mask 3D, Hyalupeptide Energizing Mask 3D
I’ve used quite a few brands and versions of sheet masks in my time and what I think sets the L’Herboflore ones apart is the quality of the sheet, the sheer quantity of essence and the fit. I have a large face and my biggest test of any sheet mask is always whether it will fit the shape and size of my face properly – with the holes for eyes, nose and mouth properly aligned. Not too long, not too short, but just right. I feel like Goldilocks whenever I open a pack from a new brand. I never know how it’s going to fit. L’Herboflore fits like a glove.
Not only that, it is large enough to reach all the way to my hairline all around, and down past my chin. Because it fits my large face so well, if you have a small face, then you may find you have excess material. I don’t know. Small faces are beyond my scope of experience I’m afraid 😛 But then, don’t worry. There are enough slits and cut outs so you can overlap and fold the mask to fit your face just right – and that’s another thing I like about it!
L’Herboflore Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Energy Biocellulose Mask – NT$250
The material used for the regular and mid-range masks are thin and come wrapped with a sheet of plastic to hold it in place. This might seem like a waste as I once thought, but it does help when you are trying to unfold a wet, slimy piece of paper and trying not to tear it. It will tear, but it isn’t as fragile as all that.
The premium range Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Energy Biocellulose Mask (which happens to be my favourite) has a cellulose gel-like texture and is thicker than the usual paper ones. It comes sandwiched between 2 sheets of plastic. Remove the white one first, place mask over face, then remove the blue sheet.
But the part I appreciate most of all is the sheer mind boggling amount of essence the masks are soaked in. I will warn you to be careful when opening the pack, so you don’t spill the remaining essence. There is so much in there, you can pat it all over your neck, chest and body… or you can be like me and do the same mask… twice!
What I do is this:-
- Day 1 – Open mask pack, careful not to spill essence. Remove sheet mask, place on face, relax for half an hour, dispose. Fold open mask pack over, and store in fridge
- Day 2 – Take a piece of Muji Peelable Cotton pad, soak it in the essence, peel off and apply to cheeks and nose. Relax. There is just about enough essence to soak one Muji cotton pad.
See, 1 mask = 2 days 🙂 This is true for every single pack of mask that I opened, without exception! The sheer quantity of essence in there is seriously impressive. MBD, you have nothing on these, nothing!
Very quickly, I’ll share my thoughts on the ones I’ve tried and which I’d like to pick up more of:-
- Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Energy Biocellulose Mask – A premium but a favourite. I can leave the mask on my skin for almost 45 minutes without it drying out, and it leaves my skin feeling seriously impressively supple and hydrated. The gel biocellulose fit is very close and you can walk around without it falling off or dripping everywhere. Best of all, the effects last at least 2 days. I only have 2 of this and I’m hoarding the other with my life. Definitely will repurchase this one for a monthly or fortnightly treat for my skin.
- Black Pearl Whitening Mask – This has a light floral scent that isn’t unpleasant and feels impressively moisturising. The mask sheet is much thinner than the Biocellulose one but feels like second skin. I can leave it on for up to 25 minutes without it drying out and my skin feels so cool after that. I don’t know about the whitening properties. My skin did look brighter but then, it always does after a good sheet mask. I’d repurchase, because its comfortable but am not sure about the whitening claims.
- Palmarosa Reviving Mask – This smells of fresh roses which is surprisingly comforting. I found it very hydrating and again, my skin felt lovely and cool and hydrated after use and it can be left on longer than most sheet masks in my experience. I would repurchase this for its calming and relaxing scent and lovely feeling on my skin.
- Sweety Cocoa Moisturising Mask – Probably the only one I did not like because it smells of chocolate 😛 I don’t like sweet chocolate so this did not appeal to me. Its hydrating qualities were superb as was its skin cooling properties but that sweet cocoa smell got to me.
I’m already plotting an order. Will probably get more of the Biocellulose ones for a pampering treat, as well as some from the Aromatherapy, Aegean Sea and Garden of Venus ranges for a bi-weekly treat. L’Herboflore is far too good to just be sold in Taiwan! (As it is only for now) I hope we start seeing it appear overseas (read: Malaysia) soon!
In a nutshell
L’Herboflore is a Taiwanese brand specializing in facial sheet masks. What sets L’Herboflore apart from your regular sheet mask is the quality of the sheet, the size and fit and the sheer quantity of essence you get in each pack. I find that they don’t dry out as quickly as other brands so I can leave them on for longer – up to half an hour or even 40 minutes sometimes. Long enough to watch an episode of my favourite TV series. The fit of the mask is very impressive, aligning itself seamlessly to my face, and it stays on so well. Finally, each pack contains so much essence that you can apply it all over your body or as I do, use it again for a quick mask the next day. In terms of how they perform, I find that the ones I tried are very hydrating, and the effects don’t go away in a few hours. It gives an instant boost to the skin, but also lasts a day or so, so it is very useful for quick boosts of radiance to the skin. I use these weekly and they are seriously awesome!
Pros: Very good fit for larger faces, Does not tear easily, Well soaked in essence with so much extra you can reuse it, Gives skin an instant hydration and radiance boost, Cools skin down and helps you relax
Cons: Only available in Taiwan for now
Who will like this: Anyone who likes using sheet masks!
L’Herboflore is only available in Taiwan at this time, at various department stores (see here) which is super saddening (<- real word :P) to the rest of us out there who have had a taste of what sheet masks can be and want more! But *ahem* where there’s a will, there’s a way!
If you’d like to try these masks, Tina at Chasing Elixir is offering her services to overseas customers and fans here for selected masks, so hit her up and tell her PB sent you 😉 Her prices are a little different naturally, since she’s doing it as a side thing, but I’m already putting together my own list hehe… When you’ve had a taste of something so good, its hard to go back to regular sheet masks you know….
Have you been lucky enough to try L’Herboflore sheet masks? Do you enjoy using sheet masks or have you never tried one yet?
I’ve always enjoyed using a sheet mask. They’re so convenient and allow me a weekly or bi-weekly treat. Every Sunday evening as part of my wind-down routine, I slap on a sheet mask, watch an episode of my TV series du jour, wind down and I’m all ready for the coming week 😀 So if you’re going to Taiwan or know someone who is, you now know what to ask for.