in Brushes etc.,Challenges,Cheap and Good?,Makeup,Product Reviews

Product by:

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On March 25, 2013
Last modified:March 24, 2013

Summary:

rmk eyelash curler The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

RMK and “Budget” in one sentence? I never thought I’d ever see the day.

Yes ladies, you are looking at a budget beauty item from RMK – a brand usually associated with splurges rather than savings. Best of all, not only is it a budget buy, it works so well, I wouldn’t even bother getting the more popular, much pricier alternative!

I introduce to you, the RMK Eyelash Curler as today’s star budget buy! icon biggrin The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

I don’t know why or how I never knew about the RMK Eyelash Curler before this. I used to be a big fan of the Shu Uemura eyelash curler – I’ve owned 3 so far and the price has been escalating. I first bought it at RM55 but I think its now going for RM65 here in Malaysia or maybe its more, I’ve lost touch. Granted, it does last a long while and I get a lot of use out of it because this curler is the only one that does not clip the skin around my eyes. If that’s ever happened to you, I can just imagine you cringing at this point.

Eyelash curlers are something that is quite individual. You really have to find the curler that best fits the shape of your eye so you don’t squeeze down on it and have tears involuntarily spring to your eyes because the curler had gripped your skin instead of your lashes. The two popular ones I know of are Shu Uemura and Shiseido both of which I have tried, and both of which I find rather different, which explains why the Shu Uemura one works better for me than Shiseido. The Shiseido eyelash curler makes me cry all the time and I could not have any truck with that icon razz The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

rmk eyelash curler4 The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

But now, I’d say, move aside Shu Uemura, there’s a new player in the house and its as good as the Shu Uemura is and costs almost half the price!

I was introduced to the RMK Eyelash Curler while talking to a makeup artist one day. He told me on the quiet that I should check it out because it was very affordably priced and works very well to get all lashes at one go and curl them effortlessly without that 90° kink.

The next opportunity I had, I picked one up to see just how wonderful it was. I mean, if a makeup artist from a rival brand was prepared to send me to the RMK counter, it had to be pretty amazing! Well, it is. Its so good, I can forsee myself using this for the long term.

To my untrained eye, both the RMK and Shu Uemura curlers look very similar in build. Even the curvature looks similar as you’ll see below.

rmk eyelash curler3 The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

Left: Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler Right: RMK Eyelash Curler

What this means is if you have been using the Shu Uemura curler then chances are, you will have no problems with the RMK curler. The curvature is similar and they both fit my eyelid nicely. The RMK curler grabs most of my lashes in one go and it curls it well without making them look kinky.

For all intents and purposes, I find both curlers exactly the same. The difference lies in the price. The Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler weighs in at a hefty RM65 (last I purchased). The RMK Eyelash Curler is a lightweight RM35!

RM35! I don’t think even drugstore brands can match a price like that for quality this good!

rmk eyelash curler2 The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

Lest you disbelieve me, here’s the price tag – RM35 – which translates to just a few cents over US$10.

It comes with 1 rubber refill pad and there’s a nice springiness to the grip. I have zero complaints about this and only raves so if you have been looking for an eyelash curler and don’t really want to splurge on the very popular Shu Uemura curler, hike on over to your nearest RMK counter and pick this baby up. Or maybe even pick up 2 – its the best investment you can make icon smile The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

In a nutshell

The RMK Eyelash Curler is a hidden gem in RMK. Weighing in at just RM35 the eyelash curler has good grip, curls lashes quickly and easily without pinching the eyelid, and comes with 1 rubber refill pad. Don’t bother with the alternatives – this is probably the only one you’d ever need icon biggrin The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

Pros: Affordable, Comfortable curvature that fits the eyelid well, Grips most lashes in one go, Curls lashes without making them kink, As good as and maybe even better than the more expensive alternative

Cons: None <- You don’t see this often!

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a new eyelash curler that doesn’t break the bank yet gets the job done without pinching your eyelids

I’ve been using this for a few months now and I can say that is really is very good. Its so good that I don’t even bother reaching for my Shu Uemura curler anymore even though they are placed side by side on my dresser. In fact, I have found myself putting back the Shu Uemura if I find that I picked it up by mistake.

I do have one caveat. I don’t know how much this retails for outside of Malaysia. I see it online at Beautybay for US$22.78 / £14.96 which is markedly more expensive than RM35 so if you have friends in Malaysia, this is one “must have” to get them to help you pick up icon biggrin The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

Did you know about the RMK Eyelash Curler or have you used it before this? Which curler are you using now?

This tool is really a hidden gem in the RMK stable and no one really talkes about it. But now you know, so its time you went out and got your own little RMK gem for your very own icon smile The Hidden Gem that is the RMK Eyelash Curler : 5 Star product at a 3 Star pricetag!

RMK Eyelash Curler Price: RM35 Availability: RMK Counters – Isetan KLCC, Isetan The Gardens, Parkson Pavilion

liyeun March 25, 2013 at 8:41 am

I had been using RMK before this until I jump into the SHU bandwagon and damn, I regret it! Shu’s, for me, is overhyped despite similar curve of RMK’s. Like you said, RMK grabbed my lashes very well and I always have dolly lashes after that.

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Ah Liyeun, you jumped the other way! Lol! Shu worked for me, but hey, for the price tag, I’d take RMK any day!

sooyin March 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

Oh my…I’m dropping by the RMK counter @ Isetan over lunch to get one! Just in time too, the rubber pad on my Shu has reached it’s end of life…=)

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Heard its been out, Sooyin! Hope you managed to snag one or if not, that you will in time to come :)

Sharon March 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

I am using the Koji eyelash curler think it’s the no.73 or 75 lol it grabs most of my eyelashes too but i shall check out this rmk one soon! If the pricetag is good n it works on me then i shall pick it up afterall a girl can never have too many eyelash curlers!;)

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I haven’t used Koji. Do you know where I can get them locally? I’m thinking Sasa?

plue April 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Isetan has it if not mistaken, I remember seeing some Koji curlers in Isetan 1Utama, so KLCC/ Gardens should have it too :)

Paris B April 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info, Plue. I’ll keep an eye out!

sharon April 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hi Paris, I got mine at ebay singapore. Not sure if Sasa carries them in Msia.

Btw I dont know why I havent been receiving notifications of your replies via my email probably a glitch or something. Hope u dont think I am being snobby or anything! :P

Paris B April 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hi Sharon, the email reply thing has been disabled by default because of some glitches previously that was killing the server. So now you have to opt in to receive email notifications of replies. You will have to check the box under the Submit button to opt in now. Sorry about that and of course I don’t think you snobbish! Most people don’t reply back anyway so its nice when they do :D Oh and if you opt in for emails, check the spam bin. Sometimes they end up in there (promise I don’t spam ;) )

Angela March 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

I have been a huge fan of the Shu Uemura curler and have been using it for years. But yes, it’s expansive. I will give to get my hands on the RMK one. If it’s as good as the Shu Uemura one, I’m definitely switching over.

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I’m the same, Angela. It’s always been Shu Uemura for me for eyelash curler. But now, no more! I hope you have the chance to try the RMK one for yourself soon :)

Parita March 25, 2013 at 9:41 am

I had no idea about RMK curler! thanks for letting us know…btw its not available at Parksons Midvalley? any idea?

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Nope, there’s no Parkson in Midvalley :) RMK counters are only at Isrtan KLCC and The Gardens and Parkson Pavilion KL

Ting March 25, 2013 at 9:52 am

Oh wow!! Thanks for the news! I’ve just came back from Malaysia… a bit too late to buy this… but I hope it’s still available when I go back again soon. :)

I’m using the Shiseido one, about 400+ baht which is not too expensive. :)

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Noe, the Shiseido one isn’t expensive but it clips my lids, ouch! :( I also learnt there are different types of Shiseido curlers. There is the counter one which is more expensive, and there are the cheaper ones foundation Sasa. I’m not sure what the difference is. But definitely do check out the RMK the next time you’re back :)

KS March 25, 2013 at 10:09 am

I am using the Sana Excel 39mm eyelash curler since I bought it in Japan eons back in 2007. Granted I only use it occasionally (at most once every month?), but it still looks and works as well as new! :) That’s really my HG curler, as it grabs ALL my lashes and curls well from roots to tip…

But recently I have been getting lazier and using my heater curler more than my Sana curler….

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Wow, that Sana curler is one long lasting curler! :D I tried a heated curler once but didn’t take it too. Too scared I’d burn off whatever little lashes I have lol!

Honey March 25, 2013 at 10:23 am

Oh gee Paris, I think I’m heading towards RMK counter like now!

Been using the Shu Uemura for a couple of years now, but not 100% happy with it and I’ve been toying to buy the Shiseido one as a replacement. Looks like my search is over as the price tag is quite friendly for me to give it a try without wincing at the cost :)…

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I heard its all out at the counters, Honey. Hope you managed to grab one :) I do think its a great little product for the price. Works very well for me :)

Amalina March 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

oh nooo!! this post is a week too late for me. I just bought the Shu Eumura curler last week. And it was my first SE curler which I bought because of the hype. Should this post go up earlier, I would have bought the RMK one instead. Anyhoo, I will continue on with my shiny SE curler and maybe buy the RMK one later when I need to change the curler :)

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Ah the Shu curler is a good one anyway. You’ll get lots of use out of it :)

JackieA March 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

Oh dear……am I missing out on something here? I have never used a lash curler, only because I think my lashes are long and I can thereby cheat by using a mascara wand to push and bend my lashes upwards as I apply! Seeing that the price on this one is reasonable….perhaps I should check it out to see if indeed I can get a false lashes effect without actually having to apply false lashes! Thanks for the heads up!

Catherine March 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I have very long lashes and I stopped applying mascara everyday since I started using curler :) Now when I put mascara its really dramatic look

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:54 pm

You should count yourself lucky to not have to use a gadget that looks like a torture instrument to get curled lashes, Jackie! If your lashes don’t droop, you probably do it need the assistance of a curler. Using one and lots of mascara will I’m sure, give you the effect of falsies! Lucky you!

Jesz March 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

Gonna grab one soon, really a good buy. Can’t differentiate both in the picture above with bare eyes apart from the brand…I’m currently using Shu Uemura which I bought years ago at RM60, it does last me long long time & doing a good job….I’m not sure when the rubber is gonna worn out, so long as it is working well with my lash, I would assume that it is still in good condition. :)

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I was told that lash curlers will wear out after about a year so once you have exhausted the silicone pads that come with your curler, its time to change it. I do get better results when I have a fresh curler and new pads though so maybe there’s truth in that

Shija March 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

This i gotta try… Been using my Shu like decades .. mayb its time to switch… Thx for the info..

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Glad to be of help!

Anthea March 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’ve been wondering, what happens after the spare rubber pad wears down too? Do you have to buy a new eyelash curler? :O

Paris B March 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Yes you do. Curlers don’t last forever :) I learned it the hard way, wondering why my curler didn’t work well anymore only to realise after buying a new one that it had use reached the end of its lifespan. You’ll notice a difference between a new and old curler. One feels looser and doesn’t grip as well anymore

synical March 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

Bought the Karl Lagerfeld one with the little charm just because it was only a couple bucks more than the usual one. Should I just use it or keep it?

Anyway, have you checked out Muji’s portable eyelash curler? I think it’s under RM20 and refill rubber pads are under RM5.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:00 am

I say, use the Karl Lagerfeld one :) I haven’t check out the Muji one, is it like a foldable one? I’ve owned one of those, that fold flat and hate it :P

Jean March 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

RM35 is really a steal! I would get one then. thanks for sharing!

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:01 am

Haha indeed, its a steal!

Dee March 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

RMK curlers are going to fly off their counters this week! :P Great find Paris! will try to get one before it goes out of stock.. :P

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:10 am

Hope you get one, Dee!

Amelia Jong April 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Sold out ad

Dee April 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Its sold out everywhere!! :P stock only arriving in July/August.. XD

Paris B April 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

LOL! Ok that’s super drastic! >.< I think its just poor stock take at their part :P

Teri March 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thank you so much for this great tip Paris! The curve looks exact the same as the Shu one. I still love my Shu one, the shape works perfectly well for my eyes. I had the same horrible experiences with previous eye lash curlers as in pinching my skin, so horrible! I just checked Beautybay and it’s 17 euros there, so the price is very close to the price that they sell it here for (20 euro iirc). I’m not sure tho, must check this out now! ^^

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

It is quite a lot more in Europe than here, Teri so I’m not sure if its a budget alternative there since I don’t know the prices of good there in general. As a curler I think its a good one and the local price is awesome!

Catherine March 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I bought Shu and I use it daily BUT if I would find curler which has much much rounder shape it would be amazing. I feel like Shu fits more Asian type eyes, I on the other hand have big and rounded eyes and oh, how well I know this feeling when eyelash curler pinch your eye… Ugh!! I havent seen any other eyelash curler which have different shape than Shu, I hear La metier de beaute have one but Ive never seen this brand in Paris to be honest.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:13 am

Ah I find the Shu a bit rounder than Shiseido so that would be out for you too. I think these are for Asian eyes generally but I think its funny how they are so popular worldwide. I mean, aren’t there other western brands known for their curlers too? What were people using before Shu Uemura and Shiseido came along?! Lol

rachel March 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Have you tried getting shu from Sg or Sg’s DFS? its really cheaper than downtown. =) thanks for the review, i am so going to try out RMK curler really soon

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:15 am

Nope, I haven’t Rachel. So you know their prices in Singapore? With the current exchange rate I find that few things are cheaper in Singapore anymore. That said, at the RMK price, I won’t be buying anymore Shu :)

Firn March 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm

How would this compare to Koji? I find it does a really good job too.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:16 am

Sorry Firn, haven’t used Koji before so I can’t compare.

Becca March 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm

What? Ok now I REALLY want this one! I have recently been unhappy with my Shiseido curler (I thought it may be needing a pad change but then I realized I had changed it not so long ago so I’m not sure what the problem is :/). I have tried the Shu before and was happy with it. I can see though that the RMK one is ever-so-slightly less curved than the Shu, which would probably be really great for me as I have a very flat eye area. Too bad its not more readily available here though :/ Still, I just may still order it! Thanks for the heads-up, Paris!!

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:19 am

I hope this one will work for you, Becca. It’s a but more expensive online than it is in store here but I suppose that’s the best option for you. Perhaps your Shiseido curler needs to be changed? If its been a while I mean. I was told once that curlers have to be changed at least once a year. They don’t perform well otherwise.

lyn March 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I love the Lunasol curler for around the same price as RMK too :-) I cannot use Shu curlers, they don’t fit my eyes well. But the Lunasol is by far the best I’ve used. My old favourite used to Shiseido.

lisa March 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

i’ve got to check out Lunasol’s one then. Coz the Shu Uemura one pinches my eyelid when i use it. Doesn’t fit my eye shape at all.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:26 am

Lunasol, I’ll take a look at that one, Lyn! It might be a Shiseido dupe since you can’t use Shu so I’m not sure how my eyes will stand up to it but its worth a look at that price!

Sunny March 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Oh wow, now I need to grab this when I’m in Taipei this summer! My current favorite is Shu. I like how sturdy it is, though in the beginning I pinched myself multiple times with it. That or I need to get another Shiseido. I think it’s the safest curler in terms of pinching, but it always leaves some eyelashes out for one reason or another.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:27 am

I pinched myself till I cried, trying to use Shiseido lol! I think the shape was off for my eyes. Almost gave up on curlers till I got the Shu. Yes, do check out the RMK when you’re in Taiwan, Sunny, you might like it too!

shusheshe March 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I’m still on the lookout for the perfect eyelash curler for me. Sadly, the Shuu pinches my eyes around 80% of the time, so RMK’s probably won’t work for me either.

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:31 am

It might be the case. It is quite similar to the Shu in terms of shape.

EL March 25, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Shu pinches at times. Do you think this is better not just price wise?

Paris B April 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

I found it better because it seemed to grab most of my lashes so I could just curl in one go. That was something the Shu Uemura curler didn’t do. I had to curl and recurl to get it right. Hope this helps

Mckey April 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm

No, don’t get this one. It pinches your eyelid even more than the Shu Uemura! A girl has this eyelash curler and she’s single lid. She used this on me and always clipped my eyelids along with my lashes?? Idk how to explain but all three times she tried i definitely felt the eyelash curler pinching my whole eyelid real hard. I find the Shiseido one works for me. And Lelan Vital eyelash curler feels the same as the Shiseido one at a price of rm15. It fits my eyeshape. I have parallel eyelid

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Butting in, Mckey :) You could be right about this pinching your lid if your lids wori better with Shiseido curler’s shape. This one works better with someone who fits the Shu Uemura curler shape, both of which are quite different :)