in Foundation,Makeup,Primer,Tips

lunasol perfect step Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada

Do you find putting on your makeup a daily chore? Or are you happy to treat it as a ritual, as you would putting on your skincare, for example?

I pondered on this question during a short workshop with Ms. Yumi Takada, the Senior Makeup Artist and Trend Analyst from Japanese brand, Lunasol, who was here to demonstrate the Perfect Step of makeup application, practised by Lunasol. I’d been indoctrinated into this Perfect Step from a while back, when I used to research and play around with Lunasol makeup so I must admit, I wasn’t listening as closely as I should icon razz Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada I will however let videos do the talking because experience tells me that you learn best through watching, and not from merely reading.

I will also only focus on base makeup (or foundation) because as I’ve recently learnt, after chopping off most of my hair, a good base trumps it all. When you have a good base, you only need a mere hint of colour and shade to define your features. This is something I’ve had to learn myself, because I used to be all about bright colours. But ever since I discovered how important and flattering good base makeup can be, I’ve scaled back on colour, preferring to look “natural”.

Here are some tips for a good base makeup that I picked up, that I hope you too will find useful icon biggrin Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada

The 5 minute Foundation Application

Takada-san told us that a good base need not take you long. You can in fact, get it done in 5 minutes or even less, if you are short of time and this is where powder foundation comes in handy. Here’s how she suggested you do your 5 minute perfect foundation base.

• Apply a base to smooth your skin which makes it easy for the product to glide over your skin. This would be the primer step that I unfortunately tend to skip but when I do practice it, find it incredibly flattering! You can use any base in your arsenal of course, but the one from Lunasol is the Smoothing Makeup Base which has a lightweight gel-cream texture and light-reflecting particles to give radiance to your skin.
  • Apply the base using your 3rd and 4th finger and slide it downwards your skin to spread. Patting or dabbing it in will cause it to look patchy so glide it on!
  • Then, use a sponge to pick up the powder foundation. Don’t be measly about it, about half a sponge puff would be best.
  • Start from the middle of your face i.e. from the side of your nose outwards to your cheeks and use light strokes to ensure an even finish. Do not start from your forehead or chin because that would make it too thick and cakey (now I know where I was going wrong!)
  • Finish off by applying the powder on your forehead and then bring the sponge puff down the bridge of your nose.
  • Fold your sponge smaller to dab to cover redness (and save time on using concealer!) and voila! You are done!

I tried this and you’d be surprised as how much time you save, and how lovely and even the finish is. You can then just apply a light blush and you’re good to go! I have here a short video that shows you the basic principles even if they use liquid foundation. But the concepts remain the same.

The Liquid Foundation Application

If you have a little more time, there is a slightly more involved method that uses liquid foundation and again, a sponge. I asked Takada-san if I could use a brush instead, and she was quite encouraging. But apparently, a sponge gives a slightly different, maybe more “pat” result. I’ll have to try that – haven’t really gotten the hang of using a sponge for foundation. Have you?

The technique is what you see in the video above but here’s how you would do it from top to bottom.

• Apply a base as above. Especially important for liquid foundation, I find, because the base helps the liquid foundation stay on better.
  • Using a sponge (fold it as in the video above so a larger area is in contact with your skin, and you get a smoother result) slide the foundation down your skin, starting from the centre of your face outwards.
  • For your forehead, dab it on, then smooth it out. For the nose, slide the sponge down the bridge of your nose vertically, and then dab the sides. For the chin area, slide it downwards vertically. For your cheeks, slide it out sideways from the middle of your face horizontally to the sides.
  • Done this way, you follow the contours of your face and the result is a smoother, more even finish. Think smooth gliding strokes, not harsh pulling of skin.

lunasol perfect step2 Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada

Tanaka-san didn’t even use a concealer for the undereye area and for blemishes. She just folded the sponge so it formed a “sharp” edge and then dabbed into the liquid foundation and dabbed on the areas that needed concealing. It isn’t perfect of course, but it makes it look very natural. This only really works for light blemishes and light undereye circles unfortunately. I still need to use proper concealer.

Optionally, use a highlighting pen and highlight under the eyes, brow and nose. This “raises” those area and highlights them so your face has a little more dimension.

Finish off with loose powder very lightly dusted on with the super soft Lunasol Face Brush, starting from under the eyes vertically downwards and then buffing in gently in circular motions on the forehead, cheeks, nose and chin for a seamless finish.

The end result is a very soft diffused, natural look that really looks very impressive. If you want to know even more about the Lunasol Perfect Step makeup application techniques (and I promise you, they are worth knowing) head over here and watch the videos.

When time is short, I go for the 5 minute application that yields a good result in a short time. I however prefer to use liquid foundation these days. It just feels like it looks better on my skin as compared to powder foundation. This is saying a lot because I used to be a huge fan of powder foundation! Oh and if you put on foundation, be sure to put on some blush – this lifts your complexion and makes you look more alive. If you haven’t realised, foundation does have a funny way of making features look a bit flat icon razz Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada

Did you find these tips useful? Do you practice any of them? Do you find putting on makeup a chore?

I never used to find it a chore mainly because I started out with using only powder foundation, blush and lipstick for work. Eyeshadow came later, as did mascara and eyebrows probably were the last thing I picked up. On days when I don’t feel like having a lot of makeup on, I still make sure I have a good base with tinted moisturiser or a light foundation and a touch of blush. Its now almost like an extension of my skincare routine! I think that’s how it should be. The day putting on makeup becomes a chore, its time to call it a day icon wink Perfecting the Lunasol Perfect Step of Foundation Application : Tips by Lunasol Makeup Artist Yumi Takada

nn February 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love putting on makeup every morning. It’s fun and people will notice your effort.

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Yay for makeup NN! :D I enjoy it too and even if no one notices, at least I know that I look good! :D

lazeny February 8, 2013 at 10:05 am

I put more emphasis on my base makeup. It’s a ritual I enjoy doing. And that is also why I don’t skimp on quality foundation, primer, concealer and setting powder. I used to like Lunasol, I still have the Modeling Water Liquid Foundation, and the darkest shade is perfect and forgiving on my skin tone. But I have found that Guerlain makes a better foundation in terms of texture and coverage, though I have to do a little color adjusting to match my overly yellow skin tone. And coupled with Meteorites as a finishing powder gives me a radiant, natural, well rested healthy skin look that also looks airbrushed in pictures.

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Like you, I now put more emphasis on my base makeup. It is after all the foundation of the whole look and a poor base can ruin it all :D Which Guerlain foundation are you using now, Lazeny? I love your description of airbrushed skin after pairing it with the Meteorites powder :D I like their foundations too – lovely and creamy and not heavy on my skin at all. I do like the Lunasol Modelling foundation too because its light. To me, its different so I use them on different days depending on the coverage I need and how I feel :D

Firn February 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

I do like Lunasol products a lot but their base broke me out badly. :(

I used to apply my foundation with a sponge but now I just use fingers only over the bits I need some help with. I like to mix a wee bit of Skin Modeling foundation with my sunblock to cut down on my base steps and this gives me the effect of a heavier-duty tinted moisturiser with serious sun protection.
On good skin days, that is enough for me. And it doesn’t rub off like how foundation does when I apply it separately.

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Yikes! So sorry to hear that Firn :( I haven’t tried their base myself, only the liquid foundations which I really like. I think Lunasol is a bit of an understated brand so its easy to overlook :) On lazy days, I go with fingers and when I’m more hardworking I go with a brush LOL I haven’t tried mixing my foundation with sunblock yet! I’ll give that a go, thanks for the idea! :D

Firn February 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I haven’t tried applying foundation with a brush because I don’t want to shift my underlying sunblock. I use only a tiny drop of foundation when mixing with sunblock, in about a 1:3 ratio.

Becca February 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

Great post, Paris! I used to be all about using a sponge. I actually used one of those egg-shaped ones–not the Beauty Blender but a cheaper dupe. It wasn’t as soft but it still got the job done. I would dampen it, dab a bit of foundation on it and bounce it all over my face. I really liked the finish it gave, though it wasn’t the fastest method ever. :P I really want to try the Beauty Blender though–I haven’t used a sponge (or a brush, really) since disovering how much I like to use my fingers. I used to be scared of using fingers for some reason because I thought it just seemed…gross I guess. But now, I always use fingers–as long as they’re clean :P

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Oh I know the sponge you mean. I’ve heard so much about the Beauty Blender but it sounds like so much work and I just know I don’t have that sort of luxury of time in the mornings so I just swipe it on with fingers or if I’m a little more hardworking, with a brush and go :D

Ting February 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

The SA at Bobbi Brown once told me that using fingers for foundations = wastage. Using brush is better. Well, those days I was naive and I listened and she made a successful sales of foundation brush to me. >.< But I do LOVE using fingers and palm for liquid foundations. :)

Paris B February 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

The funny thing is that its actually the other way around re: Wastage LOL! :D I use fingers too – so much quicker!

Jesz February 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

Putting on makeup is like a ritual for me now…not heavy makeup of course, just base, eyeliner, mascara, brow, blush & gloss, normally get everything done in 15 mins as normally in short of time in the morning :P.
By looking at the time I get everything done, you would have guess that my base is pretty simple, no concealer, I don’t normally use concealer nowadays thanks to laziness :P, I don’t have perfect skin either, blemish scar, pigmentation, dark circle…well, just trying to keep it as natural as possible.
If I have a little bit more time, I’ll use a liquid foundation/BB cream, else powder foundation will do the finishes one off. :D
Oh, I have combination oily skin, I think generally powder foundation fares better on my skin.

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’m like you Jesz – putting on a minimum of base makeup is ritual. The rest of the colour is extra :D I do use concealer though because I guess I’m a bit paranoid and am not THAT comfortable looking too natural ;) But I love how a good base makeup with a touch of blush makes it so much easier to face the day than without! :D

Victoria February 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thanks for this post. I realised that I have been using my sponge the wrong way as I always start with my forehead first. Also read on another blog that we should always ‘pat’ and not ‘drag’ the foundation when doing make up and your post and video just confirms it.

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I’m happy you found it useful, Victoria! There is so much we can learn from these makeup artists who make it their living to make women look beautiful :D Patting on base, whether with a sponge or brush does make it look better and always always use a light hand! :D

Kay February 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

It always amazes me how Japanese videos show application so slowly and lovingly, so unlike my quick, let’s get it done approach. I think I need to work on applying smooth gliding strokes as recommended. Thanks for sharing the videos…it’s always good to see how the pros do it!

Paris B February 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m glad you found it useful, Kay :) I think the Asian and Western approach to makeup is a little different hence their application techniques differ too but irrespective of the brands/products we use, I think we can learn a lot from both sides of the divide! I love watching the Lunasol videos – there’s a lot to learn there!

Julia February 8, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Since I mostly use mineral foundation, I have to buff it in with a flat top brush. ^^; Also, applying liquid foundation (when I use one) with a sponge sounds so wasteful…
I’ve never owned a base either because I try to put only very little products on my face, but some sunscreens act nicely as a base replacement.

Paris B February 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

You’re right, Julia. These tips are not applicable to those who use mineral foundation. I don’t use a base most of the time myself, but when I do, I do notice quite a difference :)

Jennifer February 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

After learning to put on some light makeup, I find it uplifting especially when I put on eye makeup. Adding some colour to the face is a nice feeling though I sometimes worry I may look worse off with my amateur skills. But oh well, gotta keep trying right? :) Blush is still something I find tough to apply beautifully, always have a concern I might look like a clown or someone slapped me…I use compact powder though it gives me ultra light coverage because somehow I feel that liquid foundation takes more time to perfect the look. In the morning, I am a rush hour grinch lol…

Paris B February 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Practice makes perfect so keep on practicing! :) my suggestion for working with blush is to start with something light like Benefit Dandelion. It’s just a whisper of colour and terribly hard to overdo so its a good one to start with ;)

Claire February 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm

ah, love Lunasol!!! their base makeup is one of my favourite, the foundations I have look extremely natural and make my skin look perfect. I couldn’t say, that I am concentrating more on my base than let’s say eye makeup but everything seems important to me. However, I am a huge believer in layering the base (just like skincare). It works very well for me. I don’t like using brushes with my foundation though, I either use my fingers or beauty blender :)

Paris B February 13, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I still haven’t gotten round to trying the beauty blender. Somehow it seems like so much work! But you’re right too about layering the base. It helps everything meld together and stay on longer. Plus I’ve now used 2 different foundations from lunasol and love them both!

Jyoan February 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Yeah, this is what I do everyday!

I use a brush though, or fingers if I am in a hurry.

I can never get use to using sponge as well, because I just feel that sponge always makes the very first spot too thick and cakey. So I much prefer to put 5 dots on my face, and brush away.

Paris B February 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm

That’s how I feel about a sponge too but the MUA said that using a wide expense makes it to on more smoothly. I personally prefer a brush or fingers myself too.

Junni February 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi Paris, thank you for sharing the tips. I find it very useful. I skip the base too all these times. And I prefer fingers application because I am lazy to wash the sponge :) Anyway, I must say the Lunasol blusher brush is fabulous! Happy Chinese New Year! ;)

Paris B February 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I’m glad you found them useful, Junni :) I’ve been using fingers a lot too although my other preference would be a brush :) did you get the Lunasol blush brush? Such a lovely brush right? ;) happy Chinese New Year!

Ting February 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Yes some foundations do give the flat effect. Have you tried mixing with a luminizing liquid such as benefit’s Sun Beam (I think that’s that it’s called)? :)

Paris B February 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

I did try that with a luminizer I owned and it worked! Or I go with my trusty Meteorites :)

Tovah February 17, 2013 at 5:48 am

Well, first of all, I’d like to thank you for that first tutorial. Between the music and watching the unidentified person dabbing on that makeup, I am totally relaxed. I will be bookmarking this site for my nighttime ritual, since I tend to find it difficult to relax enough at night to get to sleep.

Second, since I’ve discovered primer, I cannot go without it. It takes just a second and makes such a great difference in how your foundation goes on.

My favorite (after reading tons of reviews) is the Bare Minerals Primer. It is AS good, perhaps even better than the other one I have from La Prairie.

Also, I love a foundation brush. You can just so much easier get into all the nooks and crannies of your face so much better than a sponge.

Chien May 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I learned a lot from here. I have a lot of make-up mistakes, so thank you so much for posting this. I just enjoy putting make-up and it makes me feel more confident about myself. I guess every girl in the world does. Thanks again! :)

Paris B May 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Very happy the tips came in useful for you :)

jhoanne luna August 23, 2013 at 10:10 am

how does Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base compare to benefit porefessional and which of the two have better oil control and pore concealing effects? thanks

Paris B August 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I haven’t used either I’m afraid, so I can’t compare. I generally don’t use a makeup base/primer :)

Cat January 15, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Good videos! The way they apply makeup and the background music makes the whole thing feel so Zen. So Japanese :)