in Cheap and Good?,Eyeshadow,Makeup,Palettes,Product Reviews

sleek makeup glory i divine eyeshadow palette

When I saw the Sleek Makeup Glory i-Divine palette, I had to stop myself from going “Eeee!!!” The reason is because I’m an Anglophile and because I have a soft spot for the London Tube icon biggrin Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold! Have you ever read Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere? I loved that book because it brought the London Underground to life icon biggrin Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

sleek glory palette Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

It never ceases to amaze me how old some of the stations are. Baker Street Station for example (with its Sherlock silhouettes on the wall tiles) is one of the oldest stations, opened in 1863. Everytime I see the outlets in the ceiling which used to allow smoke from the trains to disperse, I wonder just what it must have been like back in the day – dirty I bet icon razz Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold! I used to live near the Central, Circle and District lines. So seeing an eyeshadow palette with colours named after the different colour coded London Underground lines made me feel all nostalgic.

The Glory palette is part of the limited edition 2012 collection which commemorates something quintessentially London, the London Underground; and the 2012 Summer Olympics which is held in London this year. Exciting times! This palette is, I feel, a palette of contrasts. Let me show you the swatches and tell you why.

Like all the Sleek Makeup i-Divine shadow palettes, there are 12 eyeshadow colours housed in a sturdy slim sleek black palette. It isn’t very big and you could quite easily tote this one around. A dual ended sponge tip applicator is included but I don’t think much of it.

sleek glory palette3 Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

The palette is divided into 2 – the top half houses fairly neutral colours that almost anyone could quite easily pull off; and the bottom half houses the more outlandish fun colours that I personally find a bit challenging. Barring Tube, Overground and Platform, the other colours are names of the respective London Underground lines and the colours even match the colour of the lines!

If there’s one thing I must say about the London Tube Map, its the easiest map in the world to read. All the lines are colour coded and laid out in such a simple manner you’d never get lost. They don’t relate to how the stations are actually laid out overground, but once you’re underground, its a whole different world!

sleek glory palette2 Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

Other than matching the London Tube lines, the colours also reflect the Olympic spirit – gold, bronze and silver to symbolize the medals, and the red, yellow, green, black, white and blue to symbolize the colours in the 5 Olympic rings.

There are 2 matte shades – Platform and Central while the rest are shimmer shades. Sleek Makeup does shimmer shade much better than matte, in my view, and it was quite glaring to see the differences in this palette. Here are the swatches with my descriptions of the colours and textures.

sleek glory palette4 Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

Top L-R: Tube (shimmer pale gold), Overground (shimmer cream), Bakerloo (Shimmer bronze), Jubilee (Shimmer silver), Platform (Matte grey), Northern (Shimmer blue-grey)

Bottom L-R: District (Shimmer bright green), Hammersmith & City (Shimmer bright pink), Picadilly (Shimmer bright blue), Circle (Shimmer deep bright yellow), Victoria (Shimmer light blue), Central (Matte red)

Of all the shades, I was most disappointed with Platform. Every other shade took just 1 swipe to show up the colour you see here – bright and pigmented. I needed 3 layers with Platform and even then, it was patchy. I reckon it could be used as a base shade but its otherwise quite disappointing. Central is the other matte shade but as you can see, there was no trouble getting it to show up!

The texture of the shadows are quite familiarly Sleek Makeup. The shimmer colours are pigmented, and show up bright and for some colours, almost metallic. I had no problems picking up colour with my fingers or a brush and I had no problems with application and blending either. I find it easier to pat the shadow on to ensure it adheres better to the skin. Swiping it on the lid makes it go on a little lighter.

sleek glory palette5 Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

For now, I’m not being very daring and only using selected colours from the bottom row, and concentrating on the top. I’m not sure how or if I’ll ever use Hammersmith & City or Central because pinks and reds are just too far out for me. The rest are fair game icon smile Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

In a nutshell

The Sleek Makeup Glory i-Divine eyeshadow palette is a limited edition palette released to commemorate the Olympic Games which are held in London this year.  There are 10 shimmer shades and 2 matte shades named after the London Underground lines. I found that most of the shimmer shades were of typical Sleek Makeup quality – shimmery, almost metallic, pigmented. One of the matte shades – Platform – was very disappointing being chalky, unpigmented and not smooth to apply. Central, the other matte shade is by contrast much better in quality. The colour combination isn’t easy to use but I think its good if you don’t have some loud, fun colours in your stash that you’d like to try just for fun. Otherwise, it isn’t the easiest palette to use.

Pros: Strong and brightly pigmented colours, Fun to play around with, Affordable palette

Cons: The matte colour Platform is poorly pigmented and hard to use, Colours maybe too bright and shimmery for everyday wear

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a palette of bright fun colours in their stash

I quickly ran up 2 eye looks with the Glory palette. One, I kept simple using the relatively safe colours. The other, I went all out to have fun icon smile Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

sleek glory palette6 Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

Left: District on outer lid, Circle on inner lid blended with Overground; Bottom lash lined with Hammersmith & City mixed with Central on outer lashline and Circle mixed with Overground on inner lashline. Tube dabbed in the inner eye.

Right: Northern close to the top lashline and outer lid, Jubilee on inner lid, all blended with Overground.

I actually had them on at the same time too! LOL Fortunately no one sprang a surprise visit on me. Can you imagine their faces? hehe… icon biggrin Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

How would you wear the Sleek Glory palette? Is this a palette that might catch your eye? Are you excited about the coming Summer Olympic games? I am but due to the time difference, I don’t expect to watch many events. I do hope to catch the opening ceremony though (July 27th if anyone’s wondering) Its usually the most fun and I love watching all the various country contingents enter the stadium. As for events, I usually enjoy watching the swimming, gymnastics and sprint events. What about you? icon smile Sleek Makeup Glory Palette 2012 Collection: Brighter and Shiner and Going for Gold!

Sleek Makeup Glory i-Divine eyeshadow palette is part of the 2012 Collection along with Honour Blush and Pride Pout Polish Price: £7.99 Availability: Selected Superdrug stores or at Sleek Makeup online Limited Edition: Yes, part of the 2012 Collection International Shipping: Yes

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Becca
July 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

Wow–pretty Paris! Those colors look SO amazing and pigmented and, yes, metallic. Gorgeous–though I don’t tend to wear colors that bright either. But I think it’s about time I tried something from Sleek. I hear so many great things
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: bareMinerals Ready Eyeshadow 2.0 Duo in The Scenic Route Review & SwatchesMy Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I think they’re good for bright pigmented colours, Becca. Go with shimmer colours because i think Sleek eoes that best. Shipping is pricey though. I never quite understand why they charge so much although, granted its a flat rate.

July 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

Purdy! I love the bright colors! I get attracted by those rainbow shades but I never spend my money on them because I know I won’t wear those colors out. They look great on you tho :-)
Lily recently blogged…Revlon PhotoReady Two Way Powder Foundation: A Brief ReviewMy Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Lily :) I’ve actually come to the stage where I don’t seem to wear bright eye colours anymore. What a scary place to be lol!

Nikki July 4, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’ve always been a fan of Sleek products and I recently got the PPT palette (Limited Edition) and so far, I’m happy with it :)

July 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I don’t recall that one, but they do make nice palettes and they’re affordable too!

Hanny
July 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

OMG it’s so pretty! ^.^ Hmm… feeling like whipping out my Acid Palette now huhuhu~
Hanny recently blogged…Let’s Talk Lippies! “Hanny Asks You Vol. 5: What Are Your Fave Lippies?” And A Trick To Make One Lippie Do The Work Of Two!My Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Oh yeah, the Acid palette would be a good substitute. The colours in that one is super bright!

Stacey
July 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’m glad they did not add the honey-comb or waffle squares or whatever you call them on the shadows this time around. hehe i prefer my palette to be smooth. love the shimmery shades! the matte shades look really blah. the red looks scary.
Stacey recently blogged…Swatches – Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original, Sin, Greed & Eden)My Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Oh yes!now that you mention it, I’m glad they didn’t mark the surface too. It actually makes it harder to pick up colour, for me. A smooth surface is always easier in my view. The matte shade is seriously crap. I don’t know what they were thinking.

sharon July 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I have seen a review of this palette a few days back but its the first time I see an EOTD with it,you look great! ;) I have finally gotten the Oh So Special and Original Palette (I must be the last person in the almost entire world of makeup addicts to get these) and I am loving them though they look too pretty for me to use lol.. This palette looks promising too but I am a little baffled by the matte red colour..Am glad you used the matte yellow with the green to create a lime green, great idea for the usual not-quite-awake-brain on a typical work day :)

July 7, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Sharon. Glad you’re enjoying your palettes too. I’d say they are great to start with and to get a palette of nice bright colours at a nice low price :) The only ‘problem’ that I see with this is the ridiculously high shipping rates, unless one shares and does a bulk purchase.

Sze Ling July 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Wow! Talk about pigmented bright colors. Nicely done.
Feel like I should go say Hi to my eyeshadows now. :P
Sze Ling recently blogged…Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, FinallyMy Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Go and say hi, Sze Ling! They must feel neglected hehe…

Sunny
July 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oh wow this one is a keeper! OK there is a dud, but for the price you can do no wrong!

I’d be watching the opening ceremony in Taipei! I love to watch gymnastics, figure skating, and the water sports :)
Sunny recently blogged…Upcoming Trip, a Wedding, My Summer So Far (& Of Course Kitties!)My Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Ooh you’ll be back in Taipei then? We’ll be watching it in the same time zone then hehe… Yeah, I sort of like the bright colours. I haven’t such bright shades in a long time so it was fun to play with :)

gio July 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I have this palette too and I love it! Platform is disappointing indeed, but the other shades are so pretty and pigmented. I also like that it features a nice mix of bright and more wearable shades.
gio recently blogged…Wanted! Nars Foreplay Cheek Palette For SephoraMy Profile

July 7, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Yes! I’m pleased that there are some wearable shades in there, but I can see myself wearing the more neutral shade more often lol!

Ling
July 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Feel almost ashamed to say I am a Brit cos I haven’t even tried any Sleek make-up yet!!! These colours look fantastic and so vibrant! But I’ve been gearing towards neutral colours lately…I think it’s because Winter is dragging me down in Melbourne :P

July 7, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Aww you’re excused on account of being in Australia ;) The colours are seriously bright and eye catching in this one and I’m almost feeling a bit old for it :P I’m also gearing for neutrals here but it’s not winter! I feel like a sell out now :P

yee July 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m not one who loves to use bright colors but wow I love Victoria, Northern and Picadilly!

July 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm

You picked out some pretty colours, Yee!

milktea July 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I love the two EOTD looks you did with this palette! Gorgeous!

What a coincidence… I just discovered Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman this year! It’s Fantastic! I think he’s a genius, the story really takes you somewhere else. Remember the ‘Night Bridge’? I was gobsmacked when I realized which station it referred to. I can totally picture James McAvoy as Richard Mayhew! ;)

milktea July 4, 2012 at 10:58 pm

oh yah, I really like your pix of the Glory palette. Looking at it, I can almost feel the creamy shimmer shadow under my fingertips! :)

July 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Yes! Neverwhere is such a good read. I’m going to dig it out and immerse myself in it after I’m done with my current bedtime reading. I happened to read it before I went to London and definitely looked at the station names (and empty carriages) with a slightly different eye lol!

Maslina July 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hi Paris. i enjoyed Neverwhere too. Been a silent follower of your beauty blog for sometime now and I have to say that I often check out your reviews before deciding to buy something.

July 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hullo Maslina! Isn’t Neverwhere such an awesome book? :D Hope to see you around the comment box more often ;)

ColoredLips July 5, 2012 at 4:07 am

I never had a Sleek palette, even though I heard so many good things about them! I think I’m finally going to try out some make-up from Sleek. The colors are so pretty!

July 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I hope you get to try it soon. If you do, try the colourful palettes with shimmer. The matte shades aren’t as impressive :)

Leila July 5, 2012 at 8:53 am

Hahaha, this is such an original idea! Makeup based on the tube, who would’ve thought it? They are good eye shadow approximations of the actual colours, but I want them to be pitch-perfect! Picadilly and Bakerloo could be deeper and still look like normal eye shadow colours… erm, I’ll stop now.

It would be fun to do a rainbow on the eyes, maybe for Halloween.

I so hate getting on the tube though. Yeah, the air’s so dirty and there’s no steam. Hate to think what it would have been like back then.

July 7, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Haha! I know what you mean about the shades. Hammerstein & City needs to be a lighter pink and Northern should have been a shimmer black ;) I like the Tube for the convenience but yes, it’s dirty and when it’s crowded at weekends or rush hour, it’s a horrible horrible place to be!

dom
July 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

Absolutely love the green e/s look. LOVE. Also, this seems like a great palette for those who want to dabble in color, but didn’t want to spend money on individual shadows. I find the red striking – I haven’t done a red e/s in a long time and it’s one of the rare colors that actually work well on Asian eyes, compared to blue (at least for me). That is all. Sorry I couldn’t contribute more to the discussion. :p
dom recently blogged…The Launch of Fabulous Finds, Malaysia’s First Beauty Box Subscription ServiceMy Profile

July 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Ah I’m the total opposite of you, Dom. I can’t get red to work, at all! I look like a rabid rabbit that’s been crying too much :P

beetrice
July 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Love the look of District and Northern (the two that happen to be on diagonal opposites from each other!) Would love to see those shades packed into a duo, but that’s probably just me.

*pinches self to remember shopping ban*
beetrice recently blogged…Fabulous Finds – Malaysia’s first beauty box that will have you looking AND feeling good…My Profile

July 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Haha! That would make a pretty duo actually. Yes, shopping ban!! *hides credit cards*

Tracy July 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Very cool palette! It’s a great collector piece for sure! Not sure if I’d wear most of the colours either-they are pretty bright!
I like the Winter Olympics better, but I will watch a few things like rowing. I used to row when I was younger and loved it!

July 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Ah! You were a rower? I was tempted to join the rowing club in Uni but had 0 stamina :P I’m not sure I could wear the bright shades out too. It’s been a while since I’ve been adventurous with eye colour.

Jennifer July 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Very colourful and fun looking! and I love the way you applied them lol :) Show us more ok! I am sticking to conservative colours for work and on days I felt bolder, I go for purple :P

July 7, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Will try to be more creative in time to come. Haven’t been very imaginative in a while. In fact, I’ve been so lazy, I’ve been doing really simple neutral but defined eyes with lots of liner ;)

Shay July 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

The pearly sheen is very nice!

I have metallics but the colours are too much for me!

July 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

Haha yes! The colours are so bright, I’m not sure how to properly use them all… and go out of the house!

makeupmag
July 6, 2012 at 2:34 am

Love this palette! Can’t wait to try it. :)
makeupmag recently blogged…Shopping with MasterCard PayPassMy Profile

July 8, 2012 at 9:56 am

Can’t wait to see what you do with it Mag! :)

Allison W
July 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Did you buy it online? Do you know how long usually the shipping will take to deliver to Malaysia? I really love the neon colour eyeshadow and could use it for parties!
Allison W recently blogged…Bangkok 117 – Ibis Bangkok Nana HotelMy Profile

July 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

I was actually sent this, Allison but shipping from the UK usually takes anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. The shipping is quite pricey though so I’d suggest you see if any friends want to share in your order. They have some other permanent palettes that are equally if not brighter than this one so its worth looking at those too :)

Sylvia July 12, 2012 at 1:06 am

Nice vibrant colors! I went over to sleek website to view the tutorial for eyes but given the oriental Chinese droopy eyes that most of us inherited, it’s impossible to achieve those awesome looks that only the blessed deepset-eyed-people can pull off. The most I can put on are 2 colours at a time with simple eye make up similar to your pictures. Btw, I like the green you did.

July 12, 2012 at 9:16 am

Hey I don’t have deepset eyes! :) Try the mini tutorial I shared before about how I apply my shadow. It works for those of us with flat Chinese eyelids ;)