Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

in Discussions,Makeup

Some of you who follow my Twitter timeline may remember this question that I threw out to you a couple of weeks back. I asked on Twitter if I was the only one who chooses not to travel with my favourite makeup pieces in case they get lost or damaged, especially limited edition pieces.

fave makeup travel Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

The primary response that I can remember was that most didn’t mind because there was nothing truly irreplaceable while others were like me, preferring to travel with something that is easily replaceable in case anything goes wrong.

What say you? icon smile Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

I packed the bare minimum for my most recent trip and it comprised products that I know work but which I’m not too attached to. If anything happens, I know they can be easily replaced. I don’t usually wear a lot of makeup when I’m on holiday anyway so this was truly the bare basics and on most days, all I ever had on was base, concealer and some powder… if I was feeling hardworking icon smile Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

For the first time, I replaced foundation with a BB Cream (Diorsnow BB Creme) which when paired with the dual tasking Shu Uemura Point Cealer and Guerlain Meteorites Pressed Illuminating Powder gave me a good enough base to last the day. The last item is actually discontinued so that was an exception to my rule. That and blush was all I wore most of the time.

For eyes, I opted to go with just a swipe of L’Oreal Infallible eyeshadow in Hourglass Beige, lined with my trusty Guerlain Kohl pencil and Maybelline The Falsies mascara. Fast and polished icon smile Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel? I actually forgot my brow pencil but the benefits of a thick hair fringe is that I didn’t actually need one! icon biggrin Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

I’m pleased with my kit this time around. Everything works, its all compact and fits into a slim pouch, and if something happens to any of them, I won’t be upset icon smile Your Say: Do You Pack Your Favourite Makeup When You Travel?

Your Say: Do you travel with your favourite makeup? Or are you like me and prefer to stick to something accessible and easily replaceable, but that works even if it may not be your favourite?

LeGeeque March 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thankfully for me, so far, my favourite items (aka items which work on me effortlessly i.e. requires bare minimal effort on my end – minimal blending/mucking about) are items that are easily replaceable. That’s why I just bring those I know will work. I don’t want to spend time mucking about with them :)
LeGeeque recently blogged…Tom Ford: The Birkin of all LipsticksMy Profile

March 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Lucky you! Actually most of mine too – but I do try not to carry too expensive products because replacing them would just be too painful on the wallet :P

Jenn
March 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

I usually bring non-limited edition, easily replaceable and cheap makeup with me whenever i travel so that i won’t be heartbroken if they’re shattered or if they went missing!

My usual kit: Daiso eyebrow pencil, Ponds Magic Powder (rocks!!), MAC technakohl liner, TBS lip and cheek stain and my MAC Fix+ to hold everything in! :D
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: MAC Pencil Sharpener / DuoMy Profile

March 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

What a nice compact little kit! I used to carry a lot more stuff. These days, I strip it down to the minimal because I realised that when I travel for holidays i don’t have makeup on, and when I travel for work, my makeup is kept minimal anyway :P

Jacqueline March 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

On one hand, I love to be able toave my favourites within reach but if they were to be damaged during travel I would be heart broken. For example the Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, it will be safely tucked away in the safety of my home.

March 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I know what you mean, Jacqueline! I would never travel with a precious limited edition item. Unless its its a non-precious one… ;)

Tine
March 13, 2012 at 9:21 am

Haha I like this topic; I think I was going to ask the same question once :P
For me, I don’t, especially not my dearer ones. I’ll be shattered if any of my pretty makeup, well, shatter. In fact, traveling is the time I use my cheaper makeup, the ones that I’d go meh if broken. All except for foundation though. That one, I have to bring what works :)

March 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Ooh ask it and see what your readers say, Tine! :D I have learned the hard way that foundation or base is the one thing you don’t muck about with. Everything else is gloss. Erm. well, its also shadow and blush…

Ana N. March 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

I usually pack some basic make ups with 1 or 2 colours when I’m on a holiday, but it also depends on to which climate I’m going to. If I’m going back to M’sia where its humid & hot, I would pack stuff that’s weather proof, most of them will be my favourites as I know if to compare with Australia, Malaysia is some kinda beauty hub & I can get almost anything I want if my make ups r damaged/ lost.
If to any other short trip, depending on the climate & place, I sometimes pack those ones that are not that expensive & easily replaced :)

March 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm

You know what I learned from travelling to places like Hong Kong or even Bangkok? I don’t pack any makeup LOL I just know I’ll be buying anyway so I just pack a base. Unless I plan not to buy, as in my present case then I pack a simple look… just in case ;) But you’re right about the climate having to be taken into consideration. Would be a disaster to pack a creamy foundation to a hot humid country!

cat
March 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

I try not to pack makeup during holiday. Just go bare face. If i have an important function to attend then just the basic BB cream, blusher and eye shadows. And i will try to pack those that is finishing so i can just throw it away when the holiday is over.

March 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I usually go bare faced on a holiday too :) But if I travel to a city, I like to look a bit more pulled together and less like a grubby tourist :) Its an interesting idea packing items that are finishing. I will have to think about that too!

Isabel March 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have to use my normal skincare so I decant everything or request my usual counter to give me samples. But as for makeup, I don’t usually wear makeup on holidays but I bring an eyeshadow palette, lip balm and a neutral coloured lipstick in case I need to dress up a bit. I definitely don’t bring my LE stuff on travels! It’s also an excuse, I suppose, to shop for “emergency” make up wherever I am :P

March 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Haha! I do that too nowadays. Bring the minimum of makeup and if I “need” anything else, what a great excuse to hit the shops! :D

Priscilla March 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

I just carry around my normal skincare + bb cream cuz also due to being lazy to remove after walking so much … unless something happen like BB cream lost or emptied then I will rush to the nearest watsons to get one haha..

March 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I agree! I am usually too lazy to put on makeup in the morning when on holiday. It feels too much like work haha…

Issa March 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

I also bring makeup that works but easily replaceable during travel! I might die if I bring the expensive ones or limited edition and it gets shattered, waaahhh! :)

March 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I know right? Imagine carrying something beautiful and irreplaceable and watching it get shattered. Eeps!

Angel March 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

I can’t live without my Naked palette, so… I’ll make sure it’s with me everywhere I go. Just like you, I opt for BB cream for the face. Since the eyeshadow palette is big, I’ll always make sure other things are in sample sizes. LOLX! Most important of all, sun protection! Haha.

March 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Gotta agree with you about sun protection :D I carry a separate skincare pouch with everything in there :P I tried travelling with the Naked palette but its just too much for me, because its so big :P So I stick to smaller palettes or just a 1 colour shadow that I can swipe on if I feel like it :)

Jyoan March 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

I don’t pack makeup when I travel. But I do buy. haha.

If I do, I would still bring my favourites, even if it means something like Naked Palette, because I prefer to know that what I use is going to be what I know works best, not just can work. I’d be rather sad if any photos taken during the trip doesn’t turns out as nice as I can get from my favourite makeup.

However, I think I would change the form, as in maybe from powder to creme.

This is because I brought my entire palm size tub of loose powder with me to winter Beijing, and the powder got all soaked up with moisture when I got back to Singapore. =((((( Ended up I had to throw away the remaining 1/5 tub-ful. Thank goodness I was about to finish the tub anyway. Would cry if that were a new tub, even though it wasn’t costly.

It was still dry and good in Beijing, and it never occurred to me that the change in temperature the moment I landed in Singapore would cause all our water vapour to condense on the cold, cold powder, and made my loose powder soggy. Sob.

On hind sight, I wonder if one can actually place the powder in a heated oven, just like you do with the silicon beads. haha.

From then on, I will make sure to bring only makeup that are more air tight (such as a BB Cream/Liquid Foundation, or things like MUFE pump bottle cream blush). And I will remember to seal them in a ziplog, and squeeze out the air before returning to Singapore. Cos this is what I do with my camera, to protect the lens from moisture.

March 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm

HAHA I buy too sometimes. Ok, I used to buy a lot more, but am much pickier these days hence I don’t come back with half a pharmacy in my bags anymore :D I try to have a few favourites from a smaller selection of items. As practical as the Naked or Naked2 palette is, I just can’t travel with it. I guess I’m averse to not having all my items in one handy pouch :P I never thought about the change in temperature affecting our makeup! That’s definitely something to think about!

Sam
March 13, 2012 at 11:48 am

No way, would never pack my favourites after having my luggage dropped and two eyeshadow palettes smashed! I won’t take any LE items with me. I’ll take things that are tried and true and/or easily replaced items. Plus I’m like Jyoan above – I buy when I travel :)

March 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thankfully for me, nothing drastic has happened yet but gosh! To have your makeup smashed is awful – also because its messy as heck!

emily March 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

I don’t bring everything but always bring way too much!

March 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Ah every woman’s lament! :)

Bee Romperz Laila March 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Normally on vacations I just bring the minimal makeup ..which is foundation, my studio fix, 1 eye liner, sleek pallete because they have multi colour that I can used on different situation and 1 lipgloss since I don’t wear lipstick…that all I guess that’s what l bring most of the day even on working basis..I do my make-up while my hubbs drives the car…hahahaa

March 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Clever girl to pack the Sleek makeup palette! You’re right. So many colours can help you transform your looks very quickly and its compact enough to fit into a pouch :) I never got the hang of doing my makeup in the car. I’d probably poke my eye out >.<

laila March 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

hahahaa….I used to poke my eyes also..the trick is..when you are stopping on red light then this is the time to used liner…but other time you can powder yourself and everything hahaha..it just so happen that everyday waking up late so had to rush make up in the car…

Applegal March 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Let’s see! I don’t think I have anything that’s limited edition or irreplaceable. I bring my daily make up, except that I only bring 1 white eyeshadow for a natural look. If I have a function (like a concert or dinner), I will bring my eye palette. Brought my Naked Palette 2 to Singapore recently for a concert, eee! I used it for the first time in Sg, and unfortunately the light in the hotel room was so yellow I wasn’t sure I was putting on the right colours :P

March 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

LOL That’s such a cute story :D I’m sure you looked stunning anyway :D The Naked palette is a very good palette. I just wish it wasn’t so large >.<

Vivi
March 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I don’t have a big make-up travel kit so it’s no problem for me. All I need is a concealer and a lip/cheek tint. :D I prefer to bring my favorite items ’cause most often than not, they are the only ones that work for me.
Vivi recently blogged…What Do Your Poop and Pee Tell About Your Body?My Profile

March 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

A tint will most certainly solve a lot of problems. I just never can get used to using tints. I don’t know why, preferring to use a powder – more control perhaps? :) And yes, a concealer is quite important for me. Even if I don’t put a base on, concealer is a must :P

gio March 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I only bring very few products with me, only those that are strictly necessarily. And they are all cheap, easily replaceable ones. I would never bring my favourite items with me because I’m scared they’d get broken or even stolen. And if I should need something, I can always buy it wherever I am.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: MeMeMe Nail Collection Long Lasting Gloss in AmbitiousMy Profile

March 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Looks like most of us are in agreement. Cheap or easily replaceable products that work travel with us most. Smart move on our parts I think :)

Lizzie
March 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I’ve never really thought about it before, but I seem to pack things I love as long as I know I can replace them. My basic outlook is that life’s too short; I don’t want to deny myself my favourite make-up ‘just in case’.

However, it’s a whole different ball game when it comes to hard to find items. If I want to bring my Suqqu eyeshadows on holiday with me, that’s fine, because they’re not limited edition and there’s a counter relatively near to my house. If they get broken it would be a shame, but not a disaster.

BUT

I won’t bring my Hakuhodo brushes with me. Ever. I keep a bunch of ecotools and Elf brushes just for travel because if I lost/broke one of my Hakuhodos it would be really upsetting, firstly because they’re sentimental, and secondly because they’d be really difficult to replace.

Lizzie
Lizzie recently blogged…Blog Updates and Suqqu Ichijiku + RBR Bronzer FOTDMy Profile

March 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hi Lizzie, I know exactly what you mean :) I try to find faves in slightly more affordable Brands too to save the heartache. But like you, I don’t travel with my pricey brushes either. They are too precious to lose and too expensive to replace! I’ve been very curious about Hakuhodo brushes or even Chikuhodo but the prices floor me!

Evelyn March 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I always bring my usual make up kits that I used daily simply because I am so used to it ;p & so far nothing bad happen to it such as shattered/broken or anything *touchwood* =D

March 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Nothing’s happened to me too *touchwood* but I guess I’m paranoid :P Then again, I change around the stuff I use daily so I’m quite used to mixing and matching :)

kay March 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I bring sample tube of tinted moisturizer, cream blush and sample tub of loose powder. I don’t use make up often in sg buit I would like to look presentable when I’m overseas, at least look polished.

March 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Yup! That’s I how I feel too when I travel. I don’t put on a lot of makeup when I travel but when I go to a city I like to look a little more polished, as you say, instead of looking like a typical out of towner tourist :)

Petrina March 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’ll only bring items that I know will work – powder, blush, eyebrow pencil, neutral shadow & lipstick ( and gloss which is in my handbag anyway).however, on most holidays I dont go bare faced as we take a ton of photos and would like to look presentable when my parents inevitably forward them on!

Skin care on the other hand I do bring quite a bit but in miniature sizes which I will toss as the trip progresses.

March 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I find that I look so relaxed and happy in holiday sits that it doesn’t matter if I have makeup on hehe but yes, having some makeup on most certainly enhances looks especially in close up shots. I usually go with sample sized skincare when I travel. I don’t skimp on my skincare although I do sometimes travel with packet samples that I can toss as I go :)

xin
March 13, 2012 at 7:04 pm

i usually will bring what’s convenient and something that i know will work for sure even if in a hurry ;) of course the easily replaceable product, just in case I forget to pack the item back with me!
xin recently blogged…Conque the Fear – I can wear pink on eye! Dior Rose Porcelaine (834) Palette ReviewMy Profile

March 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Oh yeah! Forgetting to pack stuff. I’ve lost a couple of items before but nothing major so far. These days, I travel with a list of the most important things I’ve packed so I remember to pack them when I go home

makeup.addict March 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm

When I’m traveling, the essentials I always bring is sunblock, 2 liquid foundations (one long wearing & one more dewy/natural looking) and a setting powder. I have this horrible tendency to shop at duty free counters even before my plane departs (a blush is a MUST purchase item for every single plane trip! to and fro!), so I don’t usually pack to much makeup.

But if I am off to Australia (cosmetics is hella expensive there!), I do pack quite a bit of makeup and most of them are makeup I rarely use since I just want to be done with ‘em FAST. If any of them happens to shatters (or forgotten to be repacked..oops!), I definitely won’t be crying myself a river. :)

March 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

You must have a very nostalgic makeup collection fom all your travels :) I know someone who buys a fragrance from every trip and she has amassed quite a collection! I’m always browsing duty free too – some brands have travel only exclusives and I’m always so tempted by them although I’ve stopped with the palettes. They just don’t work for me.

adeline March 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I always try to bring the things that work and as little as possible since you know, DFS reels us in before we even leave the country… hah! I prefer putting at least a polished neutral face forward while traveling, especially in places like Japan & HK where NOT putting makeup on makes you the odd one out.

In the kit: Lancome BB (doubling as sunblock with SPF 50), concealer, eyebrow pencil, canmake/Bobbi brown cream blush, a lipcream (awesome for sheer in the day, layering on more for the night), Bobbi brown eye palette. Skip the mascara and it saves me one less thing to clean off at the end of the day!

March 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Mmm I like the sound of your kit! It’s so compact and everything sounds like something I’d use myself. I know what you mean about mascara. It’s usually the one thing that is hardest to remove although most of my cleansing oils do the trick :) I sometimes cheat and just curl my lashes, without mascara. Helps open up the eyes :)

Michelle Beh March 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Concise makeup travel pack!! Oh ya! how did u find about the Maybelline Falsies Mascara? Nice?

March 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I really like the Maybelline Falsies mascara :) the post has a link to my review or it’s also here.