in Challenges,Cheap and Good?,Lipbalm,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

I didn’t realise everyone was so crazy over the new Revlon Lip Butters! icon biggrin Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat I ran a quick poll on Facebook and Twitter to see what I should post today and the overwhelming choice was the Lip Butters so here we are! :D I swear, sometimes, I think I live under a rock icon razz Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

revlon lip butter review Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

I’m bringing you just the Revlon Lip Butters in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam because I think they are the two more interesting colours in the range, and 2 quite different textures so I can kill 2 birds with one stone icon wink Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

I’ve got the low down on the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters in my preview post so I’m not going to repeat all that. What I’m going to tell you about today is what I think about these lipbalm-lipstick hybrids that has taken the beauty world by storm.

I’m going to have to throw a bit of a spanner in the works here to say that whilst I think these Revlon Lip Butters are really nice products and light on the wallet, I can’t fall in love with them the way everyone has.

revlon lip butter review2 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Texture wise, I have absolutely no complaint. If you have been balking at wearing lipstick because you feel it makes your lips dry or the colour is too strong, or if you just don’t like the perceived heavy texture of lipstick, I’d say, get thee a Revlon Lip Butter. These are truly an introductory lipstick to ease you into the lipstick wearing world. And boy! What a world it is! icon biggrin Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

These Revlon Lip Butters swatch like a very pigmented lip balm. With the Vitamin E infused in it, it is supposed to protect you lips too, and keep them moisturised, just as a lip balm does. So they do feel comfortable on the lips. The downside of this, is that the texture is a little soft. You can see the damage I did to my lip butters above. This was due to my swatching them on the back of my hand – the end bits started breaking off.

revlon lip butter review3 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Top: Fig Jam swatched 1x on left, 3x on right; Bottom: Strawberry Shortcake swatched 1x on left, 3x on right

You can probably tell from these swatches, that there are 2 types of textures in the Revlon Lip Butters, which I found quite fascinating. One is the sheer tinted lip balm texture (Fig Jam) and the other is a more pigmented balmy lipstick (Strawberry Shortcake).

My personal preference lies with the latter – a balmy lipstick. I have never been one for lip balms or tinted lip balms which might explain why I don’t feel much, if anything for that sort of texture. However, I can understand a balmy lipstick – a lipstick that glides on fairly opaque but with the texture of a balm. Hence, if all the Revlon Lip Butters were of this texture, I think I may have more love for them. As it is, I only like the colours that have this texture, and which incidentally are more pigmented.

However, that’s not to say Fig Jam is a write off icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat I actually really like this colour because it is so unexpected! Look at it in the tube – its a deep brown to be almost black. And then look at it on the skin where it takes on a brown shade with a bit of a red undertone. Now apply it on lips and that red undertone actually comes through more, so what you get is a very natural looking sort of tinted lip shade. I like using Fig Jam for a natural look because on me, it actually looks very natural and pairs well with a bright eye. However, due to its formula, I feel that it sits on my lips a little stickier than Strawberry Shortcake.

revlon lip butter review6 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Clockwise from Top Left: Bare lips, Fig Jam, Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake on the other hand, is an opaque baby pink that I picked up because I wanted to break out of my red/rose/coral lipstick rut. I liked the challenge, and I wanted to see how it would make me look. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, because I totally fell in love with this shade.

Strawberry Shortcake surprisingly works with bright eye colours because it tones down the lip yet does not blot it out the way a nude lipstick will. It adds a warm pink tone to the lips and makes you look lovely and demure. I’m very pleased to have stepped out of my comfort zone icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

I have one more little complaint. Despite the lip balm texture and the vitamin E in this product, I found it drying on my lips. Fig Jam, more so than Strawberry Shortcake. It doesn’t dry out my lips per se, but it does not apply on flaky lips well, and for me, makes my lips feel a bit dry after a while. That said, I have the same complaint with other such products, notably the Clinique Chubby Stick which works beautifully for the worldwide population except me, and I’m also feeling the same way about the Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tints (I’ll tell you about these another day icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat ) So, maybe its just me icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

In a nutshell

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters are affordable lipbalm-lipstick hybrids that apply sheerly on the skin. There appear to be 2 textures in the range – one that looks and feels more like a tinted lipbalm so the colour is more sheer, and another that behaves more like a balmy lipstick so the colour is more pigmented. My preference lies with the latter. I also do not feel that these are very moisturising on my lips but it could just be a personal preference. Either way, I do think they are a very good introductory lipstick and worth taking a look at. It is also a good way to ease yourself into colours you may not otherwise wear.

Pros: Affordable, Light balmy texture isn’t heavy on lips, Colours to suit everyone, Colours are fairly pigmented so it is a good way to ease yourself into wearing lipstick

Cons: I found these were not very moisturizing, Texture is a little soft and the lip butter may break

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter vs Dior Addict Iconic Lipstick

The Revlon Lip Butters have been compared very favourably to the Dior Addict Iconic Lipsticks launched last year, both in terms of the way they look and the texture.

revlon lip butter review4 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

I will say that yes, there are some similarities, provided you are comparing the Revlon Lip Butters from the more opaque texture, not the lip balm texture. Both products are shaped the same way, which I happen to like because there is a big area to swipe on the lips and you can accomplish the job very quickly. I have here the Revlon Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and the Dior Addict in Icone.

revlon lip butter review5 Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Left-Right: Dior Addict Icone 1x, Strawberry Shortcake 1x, Strawberry Shortcake 3x

Both lipstick textures are balmy, but in terms of pigment, I felt that the Dior Addict gives more bang for your buck. One swipe of the lipstick is more than enough to impart a nice pigmented shade, while you will need at least 2-3 swipes of the Revlon Lip Butter to accomplish the same result.

Texture wise, the Dior Addict is firmer and less vulnerable to breakage. I also do not get the dry lip feel with Dior and I feel that its balmier and more comfortable on lips as opposed to the Lip Butters which can feel a bit sticky. However, I think both are good lipsticks in their own right and whilst I’m not about to give up buying new Dior Addict lipsticks, I’m not above pulling out my Revlon Lip Butter to reapply either icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Have you fallen for the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter yet? Which colours did you end up getting? We currently get 8 locally (descriptions of colours here) and I’m sure there’s one out there for you icon smile Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat I guess I’m not as excited about these as I should be, considering all the hype and raves everywhere but you may like it so do let me know if you do :) Oh and psst! If you are in Singapore and can get into Malaysia to get your Revlon Lip Butter fix, you may actually find that they are substantially cheaper across the causeway so come on over icon wink Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and Fig Jam : Desserts that will not make you fat

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter is available in 8 shades locally Price: RM25 (or RM24.90 at Guardian) / S$15.90 Availability: At all Revlon counters at major pharmacies

Sukie February 8, 2012 at 8:40 am

Fig Jam looks lovely on you! I agree that these Lip Butters aren’t very moisturising but lean towards being slightly drying but I’m just glad that the Lup butters I h e do not settle into the lines of my lips! Nevertheless, I still like them for their affordability thought! :)

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I must agree with you about the affordability – a nice wallet friendly pick me up!

Ling February 8, 2012 at 9:18 am

Yay! We both posted about Revlon Lip Butters today :) And actually, I’m kinda glad that we have similar thoughts about these babies. I thought I was the only one who didn’t fall in love with them.

Cynthia February 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Ling, you still look great with Macaroon!!! :D :D

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Oh yay! Great minds and all that – so glad we’re not alone in how we feel about these popular items! :D

rinnah February 8, 2012 at 9:20 am

I just swatched them at BHG yesterday and Fig Jam looks straight up brown on me – nowhere like the shade you get. :( Guess my choice will be with Sugar Plum…

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm

How odd – it must be that Fig Jam reacts differently with our skin tones :) Its a very nice, unexpected colour, but perhaps not for everyone, based on the feedback here :)

Honey February 8, 2012 at 9:32 am

Of course we have to try this based on the online raves! Over the weekend, I got the Fig Jam. It looks really good on my lips and with my skin tone. Been thinking of picking up another one but the other colours available here do not appeal to me. Shall wait a bit and see if they are bringing in more colours. I am keen on Sweet Tart.

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Yay for Fig Jam! I’m glad you liked this one too – it was a bit of a sleeper hit for me in terms of colour although the texture pales next to the more opaque Strawberry Shortcake texture :)

xin February 8, 2012 at 9:42 am

eeep! actually i have been wanting to pick up one, but have been delaying coz am actually not super excited over it, but but, if i see it next time i will get one just to see how it fares for me ;)

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Haha you just have to see what the hype is about right? I bet you, you’ll pick one up soon enough! ;)

Issa February 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

I was thinking of getting this because of all the raves I have read! But when I tested it from the store, it seems too soft for me too … I hate it when my lippies get damaged like that :) but those colors you got really look good on you PB! :)

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thank you Issa :) The soft texture does bug me although it only got that way when I swiped on my hand and not on my lips so there’s that to be thankful for!

Isabel February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Fig jam reminds me of smearing raspberry jam on my lips to emulate “lipstick application” when I was a wee child.

That is all. :D

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm

LOL That sounds delicious! :D

plue February 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

i also decided to get out of my rose/berry lip colours so i got Strawberry Shortcake. i’m not sure, but i find that the one with shimmer (peach parfait i’m looking at you) is a little bit more pigmented?

fig jam was just a straight up brown for me when i swatch but it looks a bit brown coral on you?

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I thought the other way around – that Strawberry Shortcake was more pigmented than Fig Jam – for me anyway :) I hated Peach Parfait – it swatched nothing but glitter on my hand eww :P I think Fig Jam appears different on different skin tones, and for that, I must love it! :D

Jesslyn February 8, 2012 at 10:18 am

see what you have done! now i can’t resist getting the Revlon Lip Butter :D Keep your post coming! love reading them ! :))

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm

LOL!! Did it sound that good?! :D Thanks for reading and for your comment Jesslyn

Cynthia February 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

I got both of these in Peach Parfait and Strawberry Cupcakes. And both of these have different texture as well. Not sure why but Fig Jam look very brownish on me. I am aiming for Cherry Tart or Sugarplum as well. Ahh..Can’t decide. But Malaysia has the best price for Lip Butters comparing it to Spore and US.

I do agree is a bit drying after a few hours of application and it doesn’t really last long. So you have to keep re-applying.

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Yep I personally feel Peach Parfait has the worst texture out of the 8 we get, because its got that awful chunky glitter in it. Perhaps you have to keep applying because its meant to emulate a lipbalm which we are encouraged to reapply often too :)

Larie February 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

IT’S NOT JUST YOU, PARIS. I have the same complaint with these and the Clinique Chubby sticks and the Tarte pencils. They’re not moisturizing at all for me! I have just one of these (because I had to see what all the hype was about, too), and I don’t love it. I don’t hate it, but I definitely don’t see what all the fuss is about!

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love you Larie! :D We must have similar fussy lips that can’t understand the hype and fuss about these lipbalm-lipstick hybrids

AnT February 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

I just bought the Fig Jam from Guardian :D

Will try it out soon :D

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Yay for Fig Jam! I love how daring the colour it – did you like it?

AnT February 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

I like the colour but it’s not as moisturising as I thought it would though :( Hmm…

Hanny Daforcena February 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

I think I’ll be getting peach parfait and lollipop heh heh heh!! Strange innit, how hype can turn us crazy for certain products

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Haha yes indeed! We fuel our own hype half the time ;) Did you get your choices yet?

sharon February 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hmm if u apply lip balm before u apply the rest of your makeup, then blot the excess off (after u apply the rest of your makeup) and apply lip stick or lip butters or chubby sticks, it might make a lot of difference.. just my two cents :)

Sherry February 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I like strawberry love pink

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Yep indeed a lip balm before lipstick will help. But the point of these sorts of hybrid lipsticks was the lip balm factor so I did expect them to be more moisturising. I don’t usually use lip balm and I don’t have problems with other types of lipsticks but its always a good tip to bear in mind :)

LeGeeque February 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

I think I might have just gotten over this sheer lipstick phase… I’m all for lipbalms but sheer lipstick, maybe not. Yaye! Got to save a little bit more :) Can you please blog about beauty boxes in Msia? I’m really curious:)

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I still like sheer lipsticks – always have since my Japanese makeup days. Now, if we’re talking sheer quality lipsticks, I look to the Japanese. They manage to make a lipstick pigmented yet sheer with gloss and shine so you look polished yet demure and best of all, doesn’t dry out the lips :D

Cas February 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

Me likey strawberry shortcake. Such a girly shade on you. I actually placed on order via a US spree for that color and cotton candy (unavailable here). As usual we have such limited colors unlike in the US. Did a double take when I saw it in Watsons last weekend, but it was priced at RM36 and not RM25 so now I”m wondering if it was a mistaken on their part in that store. If it’s RM25 then will probably pick up another shade or two :)

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Strawberry Shortcake is unexpectedly pretty on :D I think the price you saw must be an error. Its RRP is RM25 and in Guardian its RM24.90 – perhaps we can expect more colours in time to come :)

Hasegawa Ayane February 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Am I the only one who finds the packaging fiddly and annoying because it’s difficult to get a grip on the little black piece at the bottom? XD

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Haha now that you mention it… But I didn’t quite notice it to be honest ;)

Jamilla February 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Thank you for a comprehensive review. I will definitely get me some Lip Butters when they finally appear in Europe!

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

You may enjoy some of the more pigmented colours :)

lyn February 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I’ve been wearing Lollipop and really like it! I find these lip butters to be adequately moisturising and didn’t really have issues with them drying out my lips as badly as some others.

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Good for ya! :D They don’t cause my lips to peel but they aren’t exactly drenching my lips in moisture either. Still for the price, I think they can’t be beat!

Marina(Makeup4all) February 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I really want the Strawberry Shortcake!!!

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I think you’d look adorable in Strawberry Shortcake! :D

Marina(Makeup4All) February 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Awww, thank you!

Connie De Alwis February 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Am I weird for not really wanting this? :-/
It doesn’t really seem to intrigue me. Or perhaps I’m just not much of a balmy lipstick person?

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Not weird at all – I didn’t think it was your type of lipstick anyway! ;)

Christina February 9, 2012 at 2:44 am

I love how you added the Singapore price as well, you definitely catered to my needs :P

anyway, the revlon lip butter sounds good, but this time i didn’t get the ‘please-buy-me-and-take-me-home’ feeling :) on the other hand… *runs over to read Day 5 of 30: Dior Addict Icone review*

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm

HAHA!! Had the opposite effect on you apparently! ;) So… did you end up picking either? ;)

Christina February 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Nah, I’ll give the Revlon ones a miss. As for the Dior ones… I’ll pop by and check them out as soon as I have time and the money (can’t decide now which one I lack more!)

Thanks for the great review :)

Nina February 9, 2012 at 5:17 am

Hi Paris!
My first time postin here ;)
I wore macaroon for the 1st time yest n like how flattering it looks on diff skintones.
Now ur makin me lem after strawberry shortcake! I wanted to get it before but was afraid it’s one of those mod whitish pinks that’s hard to pull off but ur swatches r makin me reconsider…

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Nina! When I first looked at the colour of Strawberry Shortcake in the tube, I had the same thought you did! But on lips, it seems to take on some warmth from lip colour so it doesn’t look as washed out. That said, everyone seems to love Macaroon – I should have picked that one hehe… :)

Lisa February 9, 2012 at 8:21 am

Think i might just be getting fig jam to give these a go. Looks good on you! But from my past lip products experiences with Revlon, i have issues with the scents. I hope this might actually be my first “i like it” lip product from the brand. Btw, as many online compares this to be a dupe for clinique’s about lipstick in black honey, I don’t think they are anywhere alike. This applies more brown than plum whereas black honey is much more plummy red.

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Ah from what I recall there is no scent in this one so you’re safe! ;) Would you believe that I’ve never tried Black Honey? We don’t get the colour here (I know SG has it and I know its really weird but there you go!) I never quite got into the Black Honey hype but perhaps I just might be missing out on a very pretty colour :D

Applegal February 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

Strawberry shortcake looks nice. And I noticed Ms. Strawberry Shortcake herself in the background! Loved that cartoon though I don’t know why I can’t remember her having a cat :/

Paris B February 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Yay! You were about the only person to bring up Ms. Strawberry Shortcake :D She did have a cat definitely – a little pink and white one :D