Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

in Bags

A few weeks ago, I came across this gorgeous Dior ad featuring the beautiful Marion Cotillard. Knowing me and my celebrity blindness, I have no idea who Marion Cotillard is except as the face of Dior for their bags. I believe she may be an actress.

miss dior2 Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

The imagery for the Lady Dior before was more dramatic (see the Lady Grey version), but I loved this pensive, ethereal look of this particular shot (and I also love her coat!). Naturally, being the bagaholic that I am, my eye was irresistably drawn to the bag she was holding – the Miss Dior.

My first reaction was “Why is Dior copying Chanel? It looks just like the Chanel Classic Flap!” and you know what they say about first impressions. It counts. So I continued with my prejudices. But for some reason, I’ve been taking 2nd and 3rd looks at it, and really, I don’t think its all that bad.

Uh oh.

This is the Miss Dior bag, which is a classic flap bag shape and design with a metal chainlink strap. There is no leather intertwined between the chain links as with the Chanel ones.

miss dior Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

The flap locks down as opposed to the Chanel’s turnlock, and it comes with a key as well. I’m quite taken by that little pouch dangling on the side – I’m not sure what its supposed to be. It looks too small to fit anything. I think there are some mini Dior charms somewhere on the handle too.

I read somewhere that this is an incarnation of the New Lock bag which debuted last year and is already being touted as another Dior classic. It being quite new, I’d wait a while before I’d call it a classic. The classic is the iconic Lady Dior bag which has a story and history behind it. I would call the shape classic, but not necessarily this particular bag.

miss dior3 Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

I think the interior quite practical – compartments are always a good touch but this isn’t a workhorse sort of bag. Its something you’d carry if you already have another one on hand to hold your junk and to bash around. This one is just to dangle on your shoulder holding your wallet, keys and mobile – you know, the important stuff icon razz Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices  I’m not quite feeling the pink interior, nor the fact that it is a contrast interior. From experience, interiors of bags always get dirty more quickly so a light coloured interior is really asking for trouble. I prefer it it was all black, so I don’t have to battle dirt. Still, I also like that its a leather interior (based on what I see in the picture) which ups the lux factor.

Part of the draw for me is perhaps due to the scarcity – I most definitely see less of this than Chanel Double Cs which every schoolgirl seem to already own *grumbles* Come to think of it, I’ve never seen one in action. Perhaps this then should be my next bagaholic indulgence icon smile Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

I haven’t seen this one in person but I’m not going to hold my breath for it. I read that it comes in a short and long strap and the calfskin cannage leather as above is HKD25,000 *faints* and the lambskin Miss Dior is S$4,500/4,900 *faints again* so I’ll just continue to ogle it from afar and paw at it whenever I stumble into a Dior boutique. Or until I go to Paris. Whichever comes first icon razz Reconsidering the Miss Dior Flap Bag : Erasing Prejudices

* photos of Miss Dior bags from Dior.com. Photo of Marion Cotillard ad from here.

S August 21, 2011 at 9:07 am

i’m not quite getting the whole lock and key thing. i personally wouldn’t purchase a bag that comes with a lock + key because knowing me, i’d lose the key before anything else =p having said so, i prefer this to the already overly-pirated chanels ;) now when are you heading to Paris, Paris? =p
S recently blogged…Review: No7 Limited Edition Lip & Cheek in Pink TintMy Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

Haha… you don’t have to lock it every time. A couple of my bags come with locks too but I never bother about them. I do make sure I keep the key well though – it costs the earth to replace. And I wish I could answer your question – I wish it were sooner :P

Mrs Top Monkey August 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

Pass. The pink interior will just highlight the various toy vehicles in my handbag more than ever. So not glam.
Mrs Top Monkey recently blogged…Eye Candy: LFC Trip to Malaysia, July 2011My Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

LOL! And the CCs black inside doesn’t? ;) Maybe make it easier to look for rice crackers to nibble on? ;)

Juan
August 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

*faints with foam on the outer area of mouth*
Juan recently blogged…Part 2: The ASUS Eee Pad TransformerMy Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

*hands smelling salts* And can’t even collect duit raya to buy eh? ;)

xin
August 21, 2011 at 9:42 am

the charm looks really odd on the side but i kinda like the contrasting interior…at least it makes things brighter LOL
xin recently blogged…Care and Conceal your Panda Eye: Garnier Anti-Dark Circles Eye Roller ReviewMy Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

It does look a bit awkward. I think it throws the balance out a bit but not having seen it in person, its hard to say. Can be tucked in the bag too. And yes, a bright interior will definitely make it easier to find things :P Although that’s true of all flap bags. They are the easiest bags to carry because its so easy to find everything. The worst are Hobos where you can never find anything!

Shay August 21, 2011 at 10:12 am

But I love hobos! Some cam contain a few set of clothes! Or shoes to change. Without changing the shape of the bag. :)

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hobos are great as a “toss it all in there” bag but its like a black hole for me. I toss it all in there and can never find them and purse organizers never really sit very well in hobos, do you realise? It spoils the “sag”

xin
August 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

i am not too much of a fan of big hobo…it’s like the black hole for me :P I prefer flap bag or just tote, at one glance can see everything inside.

Applegal August 21, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh I like bright interiors, makes it a lot easier to hunt for things inside. Dig the compartments as well. Don’t quite like the metal chain though.

You should watch her in La Vie En Rose, stunning performance :) She looked gorgeous in Inception as well.

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hehe contrary to you, I dig the metal chain but less so the compartments and bright interior :D Thanks for the movie recs. Its no wonder I’ve never noticed her as an actress. I didn’t see Inception LOL!

LeGeeque August 21, 2011 at 10:21 am

Got some time to kill and will go check it out today…. Thoughts to come. Also if you head to Paris, please get an Hermes in lieu of a Chanel. I might be heading down that path :P

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh goody! Do spill when you have seen it, and when you get the H!

electronicfly
August 21, 2011 at 11:37 am

I think the little bag would be to keep the key from banging around and scratching the hardware :)

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I was thinking that would be it too :) I do hope its not fixed as it looks in the picture, so you can actually detach it.

Hanny
August 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm

>.< This is soooo beautiful I couldn't even…

*passes out*
Hanny recently blogged…Quick Review: Chanel Rouge Coco in Organdi RoseMy Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm

*hands another round of smelling salts*

peach_ August 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Hi Paris! That is a gorgeous bag. I agree, the fact that not every girl owns one makes it that much more appealing.

And yes, that pouch on the side is a key cover to prevent scratches on the leather. Why not try the bag on at a boutique? Doesn’t hurt to look, right? :D

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Hi Peach :) Thanks for clarifying about the pouch. I might have prefered if they made it inside instead of outside though :) I do plan to check it out at a boutique when I get the chance but contrary to the saying, it MIGHT hurt… the wallet ;)

peach_ August 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

Haha true! Did you see this Making of the Miss Dior Bag video? http://youtu.be/hheikAwdad0 It definitely made me appreciate the bag even more!

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 11:24 am

Oh yes I saw that :D It actually looks way better than in pictures :) Have you seen it yourself?

peach_ August 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

I haven’t seen it in person, but I like what I see. Let us know how you like it when you try it on!

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’ll be sure to update :)

August 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Oh goodness. I think I have to stop reading your blog, Paris. It’s been fun but I don’t think our relationship is working out. *sob* I prefer to keep my wallet happy. *sob*
Lily recently blogged…Sasa: Tokyo Minki MirrorMy Profile

ParisB August 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ah tis a pity Lily. Its been good knowing you :P Still, big indulgences like these are nice to fantasise about and harder to just run out there and get immediately. For me anyway ;)

Ling
August 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I totally love Chanel bags as they are iconic and oozes femininity. As for this Dior bag, it does seem a bit copycat-ish…although, saying that, I wouldn’t say No if I were to be gifted one of these :P
Ling recently blogged…The Best Beauty Blog 1st Birthday GiveawayMy Profile

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

It does give off that copycat vibe right? But I do think it can stand alone – not sure about it being a classic though and I wouldn’t say no to a gift either! ;)

Monstro August 21, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Wow, I really like this, and I really like the pink on the inside…though it may attract dirt, I won’t care. That’s of course if I COULD afford it. LOL! And yes it seems a copy cat of Chanel…dare I say that they actually made the Dior design more interesting? The Chanel one is looking a little too basic after years of looking at it. Loving this Dior bag, LOVING it!

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

Yay! It does take Chanel and give it a more modern twist doesn’t it? I’m dying to go and take a look :P

mrsdjones
August 22, 2011 at 10:45 am

OMG! *salivating*
mrsdjones recently blogged…Resepi Ikan Tiga RasaMy Profile

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 11:01 am

nah, tissue paper to wipe drool ;)

Meghann August 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Talking about Chanel, Paris, what is your view on the new book bag?

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Do you mean the clutch that looks like a hardcover book? I think its cute as a clutch but nothing bigger. Although I’m not sure I’d ever buy it because its just a bit too trendy :)

Amanda August 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I thought it was a Chanel at the first glance… and when I read further, it’s a Dior.
Amanda recently blogged…What Do You Wear?My Profile

Bob December 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

Does anyone know what the coat is in the bag ad? My wife likes it and I’m trying to find it… thanks

Em December 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I hope you have decided to get this! I just got mine in France, and I absolutely adore it! The little pouch can be removed if you like. A much better purchase than the chanel in my opinion!