Do you need to use sunscreen at night?

in Discussions,Sunscreen

sunscreen night Do you need to use sunscreen at night?

We all know that sunscreen is the best anti-aging cream you can start with. It protects your skin from UV rays that accelerate skin aging and it protects skin from generating too much melanin which appears in the form of pigmentation.

We also know that you should use sunscreen even in winter or even if you’re indoors. Those pesky UV rays are everywhere! But what about at night? Do we need to use sunscreen at night?

I looked around for answers and there is a very small school of thought that says that you should still wear sunscreen at night because UV rays are emitted from our lighting, or the television or even the computer screen. Yes, what you are staring at now. But this is a very small minority.

The majority opinion is that we don’t need sunscreen at night because:-

• Any UV rays present at night is negligible compared to the day
  • Our skin needs to rest and rejuvenate itself and sunscreen might clog pores or be too drying

On a personal note, I don’t use sunscreen at night because its “sun” screen isn’t it? And there’s no “sun” at night icon razz Do you need to use sunscreen at night? So I do use creams without SPF at night.

That said, there’s no harm in using products containing SPF at night if it does not bug your skin. Your skin does not need it, but if it can handle it, then by all  means continue. It would be a bit of a waste though because if you only use products with SPF in the day, it’ll last you longer icon smile Do you need to use sunscreen at night?

What do you think? Do you really need SPF or  sunscreen at night?

Nikki April 13, 2010 at 9:09 am

I don’t use sunscreen at night but I heard about the Computer screen, lighting do emit UV rays..but hey! it’s ok, its just minor and I’d love to give my skin a break at night time :)

ParisB April 13, 2010 at 11:33 am

Yep! Same here. After all with all our swanky LCD monitors I dont think any uv ray emissions are a major concern anymore.

Hanny
April 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

I have an aunt that still applies BB creams when she goes out at night, hehe, for the reasons you stated above, but yeah, it is pretty negligible…

ParisB April 13, 2010 at 11:35 am

Perhaps she uses the BB Creams as foundation? But then BB Creams are all in one anyway

innerchild April 13, 2010 at 9:59 am

lol Paris, your posts are always humorous to read, I love your posts! :)

I don’t use SPF at night when I’m going out. It’s unnecessary and doesn’t make enough difference on the skin.

ParisB April 13, 2010 at 11:36 am

Hehe thank you :D I agree with you too – its unnecessary I believe

Tine
April 13, 2010 at 11:22 am

Ahh! Great question! I’ve had this question in my mind for ages, but I still do not have the answer. They say that even though you’re indoors, you should still have sunscreen on because of the UV rays from the computer and fluorescent lights above. But really, don’t you still get that at night when the lights are on and you’re in front of the computer?

I still haven’t a clue on this, but like you, I don’t put it on at night. Let the skin breathe a little, I say ;)

ParisB April 13, 2010 at 11:38 am

I stick to applying sunscreen in the day anywhere I am simply because I’m a little paranoid :) But at night I reckon any UV rays emitted from anything is negligible. Key here is moderation. Perhaps if you have a spotlight or fluorescent light constantly trained on you at night then it might make sense to apply sunscreen but wash it off before going to bed. But seriously. How many of us bother right?

Connie
April 13, 2010 at 11:28 am

Indoors with lighting, yes. At night? That’s taking it too far. If I’m THAT afraid of UV rays (which I’m not) I might as well stay in a dungeon. Wait, do candles emit UV rays? OMG! O_O

ParisB April 13, 2010 at 11:39 am

But those pesky rays could penetrate dungeon walls! And what about mould? Do they emit rays too? ;) I think the night thing is taking things way too far too

Jean April 13, 2010 at 11:32 am

Normally I don’t use it at night as well..
but if I need to stay up all night in front my computer screen, I will use it!

YJia April 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I don’t we need it at night because I think we should let our skin take a break at night ! haha… Perhaps people who sleeps under s strong light will need it ? just like my classmate , she nvr dare to off the light to sleep XD

ParisB April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Ooh how does she sleep with the light on?! I need total or near total darkness :D

monstro April 13, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Bearing in mind that Sunblock is cancerous in huge amounts, I like to give my skin a rest at nights. And I only apply sunblock if I’m going out of the house! Lazy, lazy!

ParisB April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Oho! Gotta be more diligent babe!

sesame April 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I recently wrote that newer LCD screens don’t emit UV lights so for the majority of us, we’re safe. The lights and so forth don’t add up that much either. Only those with XP disorder might need help. Anyway, some of the products we use at night would have some level of UV protection if it included ingredients like shea butter, green tea, jojoba oil etc.

ParisB April 14, 2010 at 10:46 am

I guess anything we put on our skin will shield the skin some what eh? thanks for the update!

Sarah April 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm

hmm I think that’s abit too much though I still use sunscreen even if I’m at home during the day. My skin needs to breathe at nite..lol

ParisB April 14, 2010 at 10:47 am

Oh I use sunscreen every daylight hour whether or not I go out of the house. I stop once I have my evening shower

Yvonne April 13, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Oh hey, think about this. The moon emits light that comes from the………..?

ParisB April 14, 2010 at 10:48 am

Haha! There might be something there :D

Moon May 15, 2010 at 6:56 am

Moonlight only returns a sliver of the sunlight’s colors. More specifically, it absorbs ultraviolet and other colors. Go ahead and wear red under a full moon in a forest , and notice how it looks black. That’s because there’s no red in moonlight!

milktea April 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm

i’m sure the answer is no. this is taking beauty a step too far!

Vi November 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Hi Paris,

Do you know where we can get La Roche Posay sunscreen here?

Thanks!

ParisB November 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

La Roche Posay isn’t available in Malaysia as of now. It might be soon. We’ll have to wait for the news :)

Roben December 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

I don’t wear sunscreen at night because I see no point and I believe letting skin rejuvenate is great anti aging but I wear sunscreen SPF 100 becausemy skin does not do well in the sunny complexion always gets ruined because of the sun but wearing sunscreen makes that worry dissappear my only wanting is a sunscreen with SPF 100 that contain zinc and titanium that would absorbs really fast i hate waiting for sunscreen to dry because it takes forever I have to apply it at night right before bed so when I wake up it absorbed onto my skin, I let it dry for about 30 minutes even then it isn’t dry still really oily so I put on an old sweater with my hood up and go to sleep than I wake up and my skin has already absorbed sunblock, another is after your shower pat dry your skin than moisturize with whatever after moisturizing stay in the shower restroom because your skin seems to stay damp in there I apply sunscreen my skin absorbs it within 20 minutes