Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red-dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On July 17, 2013
Last modified:July 16, 2013

Summary:

You know, I love lipstick.

No wait, I think you already knew that. Let’s start again.

I REALLY love lipstick. That’s more like it! Unfortunately it’s second only to my love for blush, so I gracefully give up my lipstick queen title to the Lipstick Queen herself, Poppy King.

lipstick queen saint sinner2 Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

I’d first heard of Poppy King and Lipstick Queen a few years ago when I started dabbling in makeup. Lipstick Queen is an Australian brand of… you guessed it, lipstick and selected lip products. It’s quite niche in distribution and in its size and I’d never had any luck hunting down this brand anywhere.

Then last year, a gift package arrived from Down Under bearing 2 Lipstick Queen lipsticks in the popular Saint and Sinner series and in the signature RED shades. Ah, my friends, they know me so well! icon biggrin Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

Saint and Sinner are 2 sides of the same coin, as it were, where the colours are the same but have different textures and formula. Saint is supposed to be a Sheer range with 10% pigment while Sinner is the matte opaque range with 90% pigment. Like a Saint, the Saint lipsticks come in a shiny gold tube while Sinners languish in the tactile, slightly rubbery feel of a matte case.

The question therefore is – Are you a Sinner or a Saint? icon wink Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

The colour chosen for me was Saint Red and Red Sinner.

lipstick queen saint sinner3 Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

Lipstick Queen Left: Red Sinner Right: Saint Red

You might notice how the bullet of the lipsticks look like they’re sweating. Sadly, it will happen and I notice it more significantly on the Sinner lipstick than the Saint. I attribute this to 2 things – formula and weather.

You see, the Sinner formula contains shea butter for moisturizing properties and in our warm and humid weather, I believe this is what’s causing the beading that mars the appearance of the lipstick. It doesn’t change the formula though. It swatches buttery smooth, but it isn’t pleasant to look at. This is less apparent on the Saint formula which has a glossier finish. However, the material used for the body of the case feels a bit sticky. You might notice how the colour of the case doesn’t look quite even on the gold tube.

If you can get over these 2 things, then you will love the formula of the Lipstick Queen lipsticks. They both apply very smoothly without tugging on lips, and despite what I was led to believe, they are both pretty opaque and pigmented!

lipstick queen saint sinner swatch Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

Lipstick Queen Swatch 1 layer Left: Sinner Red Right: Saint Red

I was led to believe that Saint Red would be just a nice blush of red on lips. I mean, 10% of pigment, that’s hardly anything right? But nope! Look at that lovely bright glossy red! It isn’t sheer at all, not in my book at any rate!

Sinner Red is a deceptive one too. If you look at the colour in the bullet, it looks rather like a rose. This nondescript colour made me let my guard down so when I swiped it on my arm, I was quite surprised to see just what a strong and deep red colour appeared. 90% pigment? Check! Opaque? Check!

lipstick queen saint sinner Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

On lips, Saint Red on me is a brighter red with a glossy finish. Not sheer at all, mind you! But a very lovely finish. Sinner Red gives you a rich opulent velvety shade in just 1 swipe over lips and pulls a bit deeper on me. It is supposed to be matte and although I am a little averse to matte lispticks, I didn’t find these drying or ageing. There was a little bit of shine. Enough so it didn’t look flat.

I honestly expected Sinner Red to look like the classic Hollywood bombshell red so this slightly rosy shade surprised me. But I liked it. It’s actually very wearable unlike the siren red I was expecting, and it’s allowed me to wear it more often than I expected.

So, Saint Red with the glossy sheer red gloss on lips…..

lipstick queen saint red Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

… or Sinner Red with the matte, opaque, velvet sheen? Which works better? icon wink Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

lipstick queen sinner red Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

In a nutshell

Lipstick Queen is a brand of lipsticks that hail from Australia. The popular range in the brand are the Sinner and Saint ranges where the same shades come in 2 different textures. Saint – the glossy, sheer texture and Sinner – the matte, opaque and pigmented version. I have both Sinner Red and Saint Red but found that both shades weren’t exactly the same. Saint Red is a brighter red, while Sinner Red is a deeper richer, more blue toned red. The textures of both are lovely and they glide on lips smoothly without tugging and deliver rich colour with just 1 swipe. However perhaps due to the warm weather locally or the shea butter formula of the lipstick, I find that the bullets do tend to sweat and the body of the Saint lipstick feels a bit sticky after a while in this heat. Beautiful products though and I’d love to check out more colours in the line.

Pros: Smooth application, Well pigmented even for a sheer lipstick, Not drying, Matte colour is not too flat

Cons: Formula sweats in heat and humidity, Not easily available

Who will like this: Anyone who likes sheer lipsticks with a glossy wash of colour will like the Saint formula; Anyone who likes strong opaque lipsticks with a matte texture will appreciate the Sinner texture

lipstick queen saint sinner4 Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

So which are you – a Sinner or a Saint? I think I’m more of a Sinner icon wink Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

Have you come across or tried any Lipstick Queen lipsticks? Which formula appeals to you more?

It has been let slip that we might see Lipstick Queen pop up on our local shores some time very soon but you’ll know when I know for a fact. If it does, I do think it would be very nice indeed! Rarely do we have a makeup brand dedicated to just lipstick and that my friends, is a brand after my own heart! icon biggrin Hey there, Lipstick Queen! Are you Red dy to be a Sinner or a Saint?

Lipstick Queen Saint Red and Sinner Red (WebsitePrice: US$20 Availability: Not yet available in Malaysia until further notice, Available at selected online or department stores in Australia, UK and worldwide

Angelina July 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

PB, you look so sexy with the smoking hot red lips ;)

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm

*blush* Thanks Angelina :)

LeGeeque July 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

Urgh! I actually prefer Sinner now that I’ve seen it on you :(

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

But you’re no Saint, why did you get Saint? :P

rinnah July 17, 2013 at 9:24 am

So so so so gorgeous! (Talkin’ bout you, PB, not the lipstick.) I think this look is absolutely flawless and perfect for you.

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Aww thank you Rinnah! <3

Applegal July 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

I initially thought there was no difference between both lipsticks but upon closer inspection, I can see that Sinner is a bit more bluish, whereas Saint has more orange.

Saint doesn’t look sheer at all!

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Yep, the 2 reds are quite different. One is brighter and warmer and the other is cooler. Both are pretty I think, but definitely quite different and no, Saint isn’t sheer at all!

Jenn July 17, 2013 at 9:53 am

You look lovely with both colors but I prefer Saint Red on you though! Love the packaging too – so unique! :D

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Thank you Jenn :D Saint Red really brightens the complexion which is nice too!

lemon July 17, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi!

Both are nice on you! Super sexy! :-P . BTW, I really like your necklace and pendant, may I know where is that from?

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thank you Lemon :D The necklace is from Swarovski :D

Ting July 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

Dear HRH Paris,

You are a Blush Queen lah! :)

Both are very beautiful on you actually. Oooo can’t decide. Good that you have both. hehehe

The brand is not here as well. Will you be so very kind to let us know if it ever comes to Malaysia? :)

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm

HAHAHA! Ting, you crack me up :D I was told we could expect it by August but since I haven’t heard anything about it since, maybe not. I’ll definitely let everyone know once I know about it coming in! ;)

Sunny July 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

I really didn’t expect Saint Red to be so pigmented! I was thinking maybe it’s just a sheer wash on the lips! Now I am curious about the percentage of pigment in really really sheer lipsticks ;) Must try this brand soon!

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:23 pm

You and me both, Sunny! When I read 10% pigment, I thought ah that’s just like a tinted lipbalm right? Turns out I was far wrong! I think in those very sheer lipsticks we’re seeing these days, maybe we’re seeing 1% pigment? :P

Rin July 17, 2013 at 10:34 am

I like both of them on you! Sexy lips :) I like both to be honest but I prefer (just slightly more)… Saint Red. I haven’t got the chance to try Lipstick Queen lipsticks before. How I wish I could! *prays* I like both formulas. I love lipsticks too, hehe.

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Aww thank you Rin and High5 to another Lipstick Princess! ;) I hear we’re getting Lipstick Queen here soon so I’ll update once I know more! The formula isn’t bad to be honest, just that I can imagine many people may find the Sinner version a bit too dry.

aiyu July 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

I like Sinner on you more.
What eye shadow are you wearing?! It’s gorgeous.

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Aww thank you Aiyu :) The Eyeshadow is the RMK Ingenious W Powder Eye which I’ll tell you more about tomorrow! ;)

liyeun July 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

I like the Saint on u cos im a saint person! Hahahaha

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

LOL!!Good pick! ;)

Tuti July 17, 2013 at 11:21 am

PB!!!!!!!!!! I really can’t resist lipstick post, immediately I look which online website carry this product. Aiyo, my drawer is very full now with lipstick. Btw, I love sinner on you and you look lovely in green colour.
Ohya, I have heard Givenchy came out with Le Rouge range, lipstick in leather casing. Wonder if you can do swatches?

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

hahaha Tuti you and I can both trade stories about lipsticks yes? :D High 5 to a Lipstick Princess! ;) I have come across some reviews for the Givenchy le Rouge but I haven’t checked to see if its here yet. I’ll be sure to check and see if I’m interested enough to pick one up? Can’t promise though!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections July 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm

They BOTH look great on you!! That SInner one is really pretty with the rosy undertone on you! I like her lipsticks, but haven’t tried the Sinner ones yet. Nice to see how pigmented it is because the ones I have tried have been sheer!

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Tracy! I bet they’d look FAB on you too! Its my first introduction to the brand and honestly, I’m quite impressed. I’d love to check out some of the other colours and items available!

Tine July 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Both are good! Although I have to say, the Sinner looks damn swell on you :P

Paris B July 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Tine! Have you tried these then? Are they easy to find in Australia?

Tine July 18, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Yeah I have both! :P Lipstick Queen is easily available at all Kit Cosmetics stores here in Australia :)

Swati July 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm

i love the sinner :)

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Ahem! That would be me right? ;)

Parita July 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

oh wow…I am definitely Sinner :)

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

High5! Another Sinner! (And unashamedly so!)

Honey July 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Sinner Red. That colour is gorgeous!

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Wish it’d hurry up and come in already so you guys can try it too!

gio July 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

They look beautiful on you, especially Sinner! It’s such a pretty shade. And Saint looks pretty pigmented too!

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thank you, lovely! :) I was definitely surprised by the shades and the pigmentation!

Jennifer July 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Your friends know you too well. They’re keepers, both the friends and the lipsticks lol. Both shades are so flattering on you. Lovely sexy red lips that will stop the traffic!

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

haha! Indeed! Friends are definitely keepers :D I wish we’d hurry up and get them locally so I can check out some of the other less traffic stopping colours. Dangerous you know, stopping traffic arbitrarily ;)

Irene July 17, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Sinner Red looks way better against your skin tone. But erm… the emphasized liplines compared to Saint Red.. :(

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Yep, more matte textures tend to have that happen unfortunately!

Lavender July 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I think saint looks better on u. Maybe in pics – I can’t tell

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Haha you aren’t the only one who thinks so, Lavender! Its a nice colour I will agree too

Catherine July 18, 2013 at 5:13 am

I never heard about these. Sinner would be my choice!

I love wearing lipsticks but around my mouth is the place where all dry skin flakes like to show up. On the other hand that would be good excuse to buy one of these sweet peelings for lips which always seem useless! :D

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Oh dear sorry to hear about the flaky skin! Is it something in lipsticks that you are allergic to? I layer on a thick layer of Lucas Papaw Ointment before bed every night and it helps keep flaky lips and skin at bay :)

Margy July 18, 2013 at 7:05 am

I love those shades on you! Also, your eyemakeup is gorgeous! May I ask, how did you do it? I think I have a similarish eyeshape to yours and I always look like I’ve shot myself in the face with Homer Simpson’s makeup gun if I try playing around with eyeshadow!

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Hi Margy, thank you! I used this eyeshadow duo and its really easy (and also how I do my eye makeup daily) I just apply the lid colour from lashline and over my whole lid, then take a highlight shade and apply over it to create the 3D look. You can do it with any eyeshadow duo and is very fuss free! Do try it, and I’m sure you can keep away that Homer Simpson gun forever ;)

mrsdjones July 18, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Wow Paris! Sinner is so Gorgeous! You look like a pro model there ;) So pretty!

Paris B July 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Awww… *blush*… no seriously, I’m blushing :D Thank you!

lisa July 19, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Sinner red is really so flattering on you. I like the matt effect it gives. Makes me want to explore this line of matt colours now.

Paris B July 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thank you Lisa :) It surprised me too because I’m not one usually for matt lipsticks, but these seem to work well without drying. That’s so important!