Insta-Updates: Muji is in town!

in Photos

Guess what new store is in town?

wpid IMG 20120414 134154 Insta Updates: Muji is in town!

Muji, the Japanese household goods and personal items store is now open at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur. I stopped by to take a look at the weekend but found the prices a bit high.

Do you have anything to recommend in Muji?

Insta-Updates: Snippets of life extracted from Instagram. I’m at PARISBMWS.

Esther April 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm

OMG! IT’S FINALLY HERE! I have been waiting for AGES and now I don’t have to travel down to Singapore! <3 <3 but yea… I was expecting the prices to be a little high….are they more expensive than the ones in Singapore? Because I've checked Singapore and Korean prices and they're the same when converted…so I was hoping if it's the same price here after conversion…then I can just save travelling fees and time and get them HERE!

recommend: STATIONARY! <3 <3 <3 their paper products are really nice! and their pens….*faints*

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

To be honest, I don’t know the prices of stuff in Muji. I do know they aren’t cheap like Daiso or Ikea :) I think the clear acrylic compartments were RM100+? I can’t recall anymore but yes, having it locally is awesome! At least we now have a choice as to what to buy and if we want to buy it without having to travel to experience it :D

Janice April 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I love shopping at Muji for its instant food stuffs especially its spaghetti sauce and snacks. I also love their storage boxes which are really useful for me to store my beauty products neatly ;) The staffs are also friendly and helpful and I would always pop by the stores if i happen to be shopping in Orchard :)

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for sharing! I used to pop by the store in Paragon too just to see what its all about but I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything from them yet :)

synical April 14, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Depends on what you’re looking for – the folding portable cardboard speakers are a novelty. I bought the white mobile speakers in Jakarta. That’s just me.

I thought about getting the body pillow that you can fold 90 degrees (http://www.flickr.com/photos/beaufighter/5417599671/), but I don’t think I’m willing to pay 3 digits for it.

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I actually saw that pillow! It was one of the first things I saw when I entered the store and my parents and I were wondering what it was etc but naturally once we saw the price tag, we stuck it back on the shelves :P

synical April 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hmm… ouch. I haven’t had the chance to go down there just yet. The price of the pillow was the main reason I put it back on the shelf in Jakarta, not to mention the thought of lugging it across borders :P

Then there’s the lack of space factor…

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Haha space is always a factor! I always see pretty household things when I travel but the thought of lugging it cross border usually stops me from my insanity :P

fanny April 15, 2012 at 12:37 am

love their organiser box, organiser bag, concealer, blusher, aroma diffuser, junk food and biscuit, stationary etc..their products are pretty good quality.

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for your recs! I’ll take a walk in there again some other day and keep an eye out for the things you mentioned.

Iris April 15, 2012 at 1:06 am

I depend on Muji for my plastic makeup storage cabinets, they are incredibly sturdy, easy to clean and last for years.

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’ve been reading about Muji boxes for years but never bought them because it was impossible to cart back from wherever I was visiting. I might have to check them out and see if they fit my needs now :)

ysk April 15, 2012 at 1:25 am

I always go to Daiso to get jp stuff,will visit muji when I go pavillion XD

lyn April 15, 2012 at 10:37 am

Ah, the shop is finally ready! I love their plastic / acrylic organizers and their toiletries tote bag. I have a few cotton tees and they are very comfortable. Love their stationery too! I have the oil cleanser but find it to be very thick, so it’s not something I’m really used to. It’s effective though.

I’ve been a Muji fan since I was in uni :-)

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’d heard about their oil cleanser too but I don’t know what sort of personal items they carry. There were too many people hanging around there :P I’d only ever heard of them but I still don’t own anything by Muji. I wonder what’ll be the first :)

May April 15, 2012 at 10:54 am

I really their skincare range, mild enough for sensitive skin. My favorite would be the cleansing oil and cleansing foam. However, I’m not sure if it’s available here. Heard good feedbacks on the makeup organizers, need to check them out :)

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I’d been hearing loads of good things about the cleansing oil. I’ll take a closer look at what there is next time I’m in store – great to finally have it here eh? :D

dom April 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

The organizers are one of the best, but quite expensive. I tried their cleanser before and it was not bad too.

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’d heard so much about the organizers. They are very sturdy that’s for sure! But the price tag is a bit prohibitive :(

Applegal April 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

I first saw Muji in Jakarta, then in Singapore. The products look like they’re made to last, but the price and the thought of lugging a big plastic organiser in my luggage put me off O_o One day if I pass by and see something I like, I might just grab it!

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Haha I had the same thought everytime I went to Singapore which is why I never bought anything. Now that its available locally, suddenly it looks like a place I could visit ;)

Sam April 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

My friend is keen on the pens. I like wider nibs, so it’s not for me. The pens are very long lasting (and cheap) I’m tolf!

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

The colourful pens? I saw a rack of those together with some interesting stationery but that area of the store was packed!

laila April 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I was just thinking of going to Muji Singapore to buy some of the storage spaces..but it’s in Malaysia already,…of course it will be a little expensive but its nearer and you don’t have to exchange money..I know probably Japan’s Muji will be more cheaper..but since I don’t even know when to go there..hahaahhaa I would just buy it here..but have to surf the market first lorr…compare prices hahaha…

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

The irony is that Muji in Japan may be more expensive LOL! I found that many Japanese products are actually cheaper outside of Japan – very ironical! But yes, its nice to have a store locally. At least we don’t have to lug it in our luggage and take up precious space! ;)

makeupmag April 15, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I love their PET plastic drawers and containers. One of my fave products is a divided case for cotton tips and cotton pads. :)

Their cold teas are lovely and their marshmallow packs always fly off the shelves!

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for the recs Mag! I’ll take a closer look the next time I’m in store.

Amex April 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I definitely love their stackable storage units which are useful to hold toiletries. The price point is high but their products seem to last.

Paris B April 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for the recs! Will take a look :)

Lisa April 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm

oooh….this has to be one of my fav. store of all time.

I love their:
No.1: cotton blouses and shirts etc.
No.2: plastic/acrylic makeup storage cabinets
No.3: simplistic, functional totes and bags
No.4: furniture and kitchenware

What i don’t love:
No.1: cakes (dry like sawdust)

Have fun in Muji.

Paris B April 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Ooh nice list, Lisa, thanks!

Min April 21, 2012 at 12:10 am

I buy their unblemished facial cotton pads, they come in a rather large bag and the quality is good. Clothes are hit or miss depending if you’re a fan of the jap fashion, otherwise they can be quite basic/simple given the price tag they charge for it.

Paris B April 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the recs! I saw the packs of cotton pads. They didn’t look pricey :)

Ying August 29, 2012 at 11:44 pm

To be honest, I am quite disappointed. They do not sell their cosmetics range in msia D: I bought my all-time favourite moisturizer from Muji and it works great for me! (nail polish too!) However they do not sell it and I’m so devastated. Well I have to look for a new one now :/ I loooooooooove their storage :3 The store is quite small considering it is Muji. The ones in HK is like 4times of the store’s size. Well this is more like ranting then recommending! Sorry! but I do love their scarves and long-sleeved shirt! Great for traveling! May be expensive but it’s worth it. The quality is great.