Your Say: Are Beauty Bloggers supposed to be all young and/or beautiful?

in Discussions,Musings

are beauty bloggers supposed to be young and beautiful?

This is a spin off post from a comment left by reader Jen on my previous post about beginner blogging tips. I felt quite upset when I read it, and felt for the blogger in question although I don’t know who she is. Here’s Jen’s comment:-

I’ve read from a blogger that I’ve been following that someone told them that they don’t have the right to have a beauty blog because they’re not beautiful.. And I thought, what the heck? Do you blog about beauty just bcoz u’re beautiful and u wanna flaunt u’re pretty face? And do you think that if u’re beautiful somebody will read ur blog even if its not worth reading and you’re talking nonsense?

You see why I get riled when I read things like this? It is so wrong! :(

I’d like to know what you think. Should beauty bloggers all be young and/or beautiful? Does not being young and/or beautiful preclude you from blogging about beauty? When you read a beauty blog, do you have it in your mind that the blogger should be young and/or beautiful?

I’m going to step up the plate and tell you that I think this pure and utter nonsense. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are many aspects to beauty, not just the superficial common place perception of photoshopped beauty that is being doled out by the bucketloads by magazines, tv and the like. Every single one of us is beautiful even if we do not fit into the cookie cutter ideal of beauty. The key here is to look groomed. If you’re putting your face out there, looking groomed is already the first step to looking beautiful.

As for youth, it comes with it the attendant beautiful glowing skin, less hang ups, more imagination and perhaps courage to just get out there and do it without fearing repercussions. The more visible beauty bloggers are the younger ones who aren’t afraid to put themselves out there. Once you hit your 30s, and have more commitments, more social interactions in your life and just more responsibilities, you becomes less willing to be more “out there”. Speaking for myself of course :) Please feel free to disagree.

Some of the best beauty blogs I’ve come across are written by “older” women who have an elegant beauty and who show us a more wearable, polished look which is how most of us would wear our makeup.  They have more to share than just the conventional notion of a pretty face. And when they tell me about skincare products for older skin, I pay a little more attention because they would have been round the block longer, and lets face it, in your 20s you don’t need anti-aging skincare no matter what the brands say, so when a blogger in her 20s claims an anti-aging cream or serum works wonders, I just take it with a pinch of salt.

From the point of view of a “reader” and not a “skimmer” I prefer reading these blogs. I do not deny however, that in the main, many bloggers who focus on beauty fall into the “young and beautiful” category and to be honest, its sometimes daunting from an “older blogger” perspective. There will always be comparisons drawn in terms of looks, talent and courage; but I’d like to think that readers, as well as bloggers grow older and grow up and the older we get, the wiser we get and the less tolerance of giddiness we have. And perhaps then, that’s where the “older bloggers” like me fit into :)

Its not to say that young bloggers have no place in the beauty blogging world. There are matured young bloggers out there too as well as giddy “older” bloggers. There is a space for all of us because there are different niches that we fill. I just do not think that beauty blogging is the domain of the young and/or beautiful only to the exclusion of everyone else.

I remember that Sesame of Vivawoman asked this question on her blog a while ago. In light of Jen’s comment, I thought it would be interesting to get your views.

Your Say: Are beauty bloggers supposed to be all be young and/or beautiful? Is that your first thought/impression when you come across a beauty blog or blog primarily about beauty? Be honest. But be nice whichever side of the fence you sit on.

p/s I’m not feeling insecure or upset that I’m not young and supermodel material (very happy with my age & how I look at this point of my life :) ) but just upset that there are stereotypes like this persisting and infiltrating the blogging scene. Enjoying reading all your thoughts!

electronicfly
March 20, 2012 at 8:38 am

If all beauty bloggers were beauty queens, I won’t bother reading them anymore. How are you supposed to know how good something really is if the base (read: blogger) is already so perfect?

Janessa March 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

That’s so true! I completely agree.

kahani March 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

That’s what I was gonna say! Beauty products are about solving problems most of the time. If you haven’t any then well… you’re not much good to oily, acne-prone me are you? Of course there are gorgeous bloggers out there who have rad makeup skills and have that value to share.

The key here I think is value.

The only bloggers I feel are pretty pointless are the ones who don’t give you anything back for the time you’re spending reading their blog. Those who, for example, say “I like this lipstick. It’s great!” and then post 20 pics of themselves pouting at the camera. No thanks and no revisit.

I would also like to add that bloggers who are less than attractive (and even those who are!) need to be self aware and conscious of what they’re putting out there. That they will be exposing themselves to negative comments and if they’re already rather fragile or insecure it may be better not to go down that route at all.

jen March 21, 2012 at 11:36 am
March 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I like that bit about value, Kahani. It is terribly frustrating sometimes to come across a blog that you think might be helpful but after scrolling own the page you still haven’t found the information you need barring, as you have said 20 large photos of themselves making fish faces at the camera. What a waste of bandwidth 😛 And you’re right too about bloggers having to be self confident. Once you put yourself out there, you will likely attract the good and the bad, for what it’s worth!

March 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Well said! I would still look at their pictures for makeup but for skincare, how would you be able to tell if anything works, if everything does eh? :)

xiao
March 20, 2012 at 8:39 am

Many of the most well-read blogs are written by “older” women, since they both have the wisdom to cover a wide range of topics and the means to actually run a beauty blog (and perhaps, the time). I don’t think being pretty or not has anything to do with being a beauty blogger. In the same vein, must magazine editors be pretty? We’re delivering opinions, not selling/marketing products!

March 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

In many ways, I have to agree with you Xiao especially re: means to run a beauty blog. Heaven knows, you and I know it doesn’t come cheap especially when we are out there emptying our wallets every time a new product/collection hits 😉 That said, you are a very pretty (and OMG young) beauty blogger with her head properly screwed on so you’re alright 😉

LeGeeque March 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

This messed up world of being overly-harsh and judgemental on how a woman should look, weigh and dress. What happens to brains and intelligence?

Because I’m a feminist, I say, NO. Be who you want to be, dress how you want to dress, weigh a healthy weight and for crying out loud, blog about anything you want to because it’s your passion and you want to have a voice. Don’t let anyone tell you what you can’t do because it does not fit with society’s expectations. And that includes beauty blogging because everyone’s got at least ONE physical trait about themselves that they’re proud of. That’s how you’re beautiful.

(PS-If I ever chance upon anyone who tells anyone else they’re not beautiful enough, I’m putting on the sarkiest hat and starting with the comment: You very beautiful meh? Who died and made you God to judge?)

Sekian.

PPS-made my blood boil too
LeGeeque recently blogged…A Peek into my BagMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

LOL Yes yes! I wanted to say the same thing you did – you very pretty meh? Very young meh? 😛 Some people just want to rock the boat, I’m aware but it sure made an interesting discussion topic 😉

Celeste
March 20, 2012 at 8:46 am

I don’t blame you feeling upset about it. To say that only young and beautiful girls are allowed to run beauty blog is the biggest load of crap I’ve heard in awhile. If so, I won’t be running mine. Heh.

Plus, at the risk of being totally cliche, beauty is at the eye of the beholder, just because somebody isn’t cookie cutter beautiful, does that mean they aren’t beautiful to somebody else? What makes people so ready to judge whether or not you have the right to be a blogger based on something so subjective?

Ah bollocks. I’m so shocked I’m tongue tied.

March 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm

LOL I’m sure you are both young and beautiful – we all are 😉 I think beauty is the worst thing to put a value on, because there are just so many aspects to beauty instead of just the one taken at face value, and even then, everyone will disagree if someone is actually considered beautiful or not. Why even go there?

Joyce March 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

I think beauty bloggers should enjoy what they’re doing and have a passion about any beauty related thing. Age and physical appearance is irrelevant. I love reading beauty blogs that are informative, have good quality pictures/swatches and most importantly, HONEST. Those are the 3 criterias that I look for in a beauty blog. Like I mentioned before, age and physical appearance is irrelevant.

March 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Ohh I like your quote – People should “not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” I think it very apt and beauty bloggers should be saluted for the time and effort they put into their passion and not condemed for not being young or pretty enough!

Tine
March 20, 2012 at 9:02 am

Aww that stinks. That really stinks. It annoys me to no end when I see comments like that. Who are you to define what beautiful is? It’s such a subjective adjective, beautiful.

A person’s appearance should not be the deciding factor on whether that person’s a beauty blogger or not. Okay, so I may not look good enough to do certain things. But what if I’m really good at doing manicures? Does that mean I shouldn’t blog about nails just because I don’t look on top to you?

I think with so many new and YOUNG bloggers coming up, the criteria for being a beauty/fashion blogger is now according to their rules. You’ve got to be young. You’ve got to be thin. Experience and intelligence be damned.

Ugh. This truly stinks >.<
Tine recently blogged…Nail Tools: Creating My ManicuresMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Yep! As I just mentioned to another commentator, you can put a beautiful woman in a room with 10 people and have all 10 disagree on whether she is truly beautiful or not. Who are we to judge and why should we, right? And besides, we all have our passions and not everything needs a pretty youthful face. As you have mentioned, nails. I think most nail bloggers hardly ever show their faces at all but their nail art and nail polish application blow me away. I don’t even care what they look like! And I fully agree with you too about the new crop of young bloggers coming up. Its scary how everyone is struggling to fit into that “Look at me, I’m so cute with my coloured lenses and pouty lips and aren’t my eyes HUGE?” sigh…

xiao
March 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

oh god you make me laugh, Paris <3

March 23, 2012 at 12:39 am

😀 <3

Hasegawa Ayane March 20, 2012 at 9:14 am

I read beauty blogs mainly for product reviews so I don’t think how ‘beautiful’ the bloggers themselves are is going to affect me much. I have a problem discerning ‘beautiful’ people in real life anyways because everyone looks equal to me. With make up, everyone can appear ‘beautiful’, but there’s nothing like ‘make up’ for what’s inside 😉

Lisa March 21, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I can resonate with “everyone looks equal”. I think i realized this as i became older and perhaps a bit wiser *i hope*. As i got older, i realized that everyone have weakness and strength and that everyone can be beautiful and that beauty is definitely not on the surface but goes deeper than that. Beauty comes from from the heart, beauty comes also in the way how a person express herself, carries herself, cares for others around her etc. It’s multi-faceted and definitely not limited to ‘young’ and ‘beautiful’. Showing act of kindness to oneself and others is an instant beauty boost that no makeup/youth/looks can be on par with . What era is this anyway. Sharing of information has never become easier than now with the internet and everyone has his/her choice and rights to share what comes from their heart.

March 23, 2012 at 12:28 am

Amen! I think though this acceptance and understanding is something that comes with age and a little wisdom. When we’re young, we’re idealistic. As I grew older, I became more realistic. I still have my ideals but at least I’m realistic enough to know some may never be achieved 😛

March 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Aww I like your last statement – “With make up, everyone can appear ‘beautiful’, but there’s nothing like ‘make up’ for what’s inside” 😀 Also I stick to “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all” 😛

Jesslyn
March 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Noooo definitely not. but a beauty blogger has to be presentable and carries herself well to a certain extent coz’ the readers look up to her sense and tips on style, beauty and health products. no one has the right to judge on who should or should not be a beauty blogger. at the end of the day is how popular the blog is… :))

March 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I think you’re right about looking presentable at least, Jesslyn. Unless its to demonstrate how effective a hair straightening tool or product is, its best that we at least take the trouble to comb our hair and take some decent photos if we plan to put ourselves out there :) Can’t trust someone who gives beauty tips if they look scruffy now, can we? 😉

Norlin
March 20, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’m with you on that it’s purely utterly nonsense that beauty bloggers should be young, and pretty. When I read a beauty blog, the idea is to get some info on the products they’ve tried. How it would look and feel on their skin and if it’s worth trying them out. How or what they look like is of no importance to me at all. If that’s what I wanted, I would be reading those glossy magazines and looking at models. Having said that, I also feel that you need not be an expert to write a beauty blog. It’s all from the perspective of an average everyday person – which is what most of us are.

March 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I think you nailed it, Norlin :) Unless the blogger is an industry expert, we are all just average janes, trying to make sense of the big mad world of cosmetics out there and how we look or our age shouldn’t matter because there is a space for everyone 😀

xin
March 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

I KNOW! it stinks and i had those moments before. like someone gave me a weird face when they heard ‘beauty blogger’. i wouldn’t say it’s embarrassing but i was really disgusted. just because i don’t look like a model then i cant blog about beauty????
xin recently blogged…Monday’s Tip: Bedside Wall Organizer for Foot CreamMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm

It sucks to get that sort of reaction right? Its like they expect us all to be super models or something, when all we are, are your girl next door who enjoys talking about beauty!

Traclyn Yeoh March 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

No one is perfect I should say. Anyone can blog as long as they remain their integrity making their blogs to be worthy to READ. Although many are attracted by the looks of a person but if their personally is smelly? tsk…tsk…tsk…

I believe no one could run from critics including me, they see things differently like how we would. People could be harsh in criticizing but we also learn from imperfections which I’m thankful for because if its not so, I would learn as much too.

Not every bloggers write for their passion, they are getting extinct!
Traclyn Yeoh recently blogged…My Acne Skin StoryMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Oh yes sadly you are right. There are few bloggers out there who blog because they are passionate about their subject matter. For the most part, many are out to gain something. We will all have our critics and sometimes although words maybe harsh, there is some truth to it so I try to sift out that truth, not over react to the harshness and hopefully just try to improve :)

Aryanne March 20, 2012 at 9:41 am

I value your blog posts and would like to share my views and opinions as well =)

Aryanne March 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

Personally I appreciate the views and opinions of beauty bloggers, as they spend both time and energy (and money) giving us honest reviews and opinions, and try to help us with our never-ending beauty quest. It is not right for people to make such outrageous statements, and I am appalled that they have the audacity to say such things. Paris, please keep up the spirit, and do know that there are avid readers like me, who are truly grateful for your advice <3

March 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Aww thank you Aryanne – I appreciate your kind words :) I do think people who leave nasty comments that do not add value are truly nasty people at heart and should not be given the time of day. After all, if they truly feel that beauty bloggers have to be all young and beautiful, they can just ignore all those they deem unworthy! 😀

sesame March 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

LOL. I really laughed at that comment. These things got me in the early days of my blogging but not anymore. Good if you’re young and beautiful but bravo if you’re old and not so beautiful and you’re blogging. Ha!

Truly beauty blogs should not be define by looks…it’s an insult to those who read the blogs too. Did whoever who left the comment meant older and not so beautiful women have no right to things of beauty??? Then can I say younger and beautiful bloggers have no right to blog about things about life? Some of them do blog about life inspirations on their beauty blogs but are they too young to be taken seriously?
sesame recently blogged…Avoid sun exposure one week before your mensesMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I may not be so rational if it were directed at me but in many ways, I think we all blog on any topic, according to our interests and our experiences. A young one may have gone through life harder than we realize which does not preclude them from blogging about the harsh realities of life, just as an older woman is just as justified to talk about beauty and beautiful things. But you’re right. Its an insult to readers, as it is to every blogger out there – that was perhaps her intention LOL!

Jenn
March 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

I don’t read a beauty blogger’s blog just because she is beautiful, i read it because i find it useful or because the blogger resonated with me and i like her writing style. It doesn’t matter if the blogger is 25 or 52, or if she has flawless skin or not, as long as she writes honestly, coherently and takes extra effort to produce high quality photos, count me a fan. I must stress that the aforementioned “high quality photos” includes a healthy mix of both product and the relevant how-does-it-look-on-me shots, not just photos of herself! A major pet peeve of mine is reading a blog full of that deer-in-the-headlights huge-eyed, thin-pouty-lipped pictures of themselves that has no relevance whatsoever to the post. One or two such photos once in a blue moon is fine, but littering every blogpost with those is abit too much. Their eyes not dry one meh? 😛 )

Like you say, there are no ugly women, only lazy ones. That’s what beauty blogging is all about, isnt it? 😉
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: MAC Pencil Sharpener / DuoMy Profile

Applegal March 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I wholeheartedly agree! It’s the content that counts, not the looks!

March 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hear hear! :)

March 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

HAHA! OMG those “that deer-in-the-headlights huge-eyed, thin-pouty-lipped pictures” are mind boggling. Many of which are photoshopped within an inch of their lives. If that’s young and pretty, I’ll take my age and imperfections thank you 😀 As a reader, I read beauty blogs because I want to know about something or want to know what a person thinks. How they look like or how old/young they are doesn’t matter to me so long as they make sense 😛

Rin March 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

In all honesty, I’m more inclined to read & be interested in a blog whose author looks something like a supermodel. If they’re dishing out beauty tips, I want to look like them! BUT I’m more inclined to trust an older or less attractive blogger. However, at the end of the day I like to read from someone in the same age bracket as me so looks really don’t have much to do with it.
Rin recently blogged…Day to Night Eye Makeup LookMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm

It probably makes most sense to read/follow the blog of someone of the same/similar age or similar skin type because their experiences would be helpful and in this regard, I think youth and/or beauty would be quite irrelevant :)

Ana N. March 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

it is sooooo sad how people can have this sick thinking on other people. no matter how they look, beauty bloggers should be honoured for time, work & knowledge & for actually willing to share theirs with us.
its like when a doctor falls ill, suddenly they cant give any health advice coz they r sick.
everyone is a human being, has their own uniqueness & traits, and i believe these are what making us all beautiful in our own ways.

March 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Hear hear! 😀 I thought it sad too that people would make these sorts of generalization about beauty blogs. Maybe they thought “beauty” bloggers meant “beautiful” bloggers? LOL!

Isabel March 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

Wow! What an absurd comment that was! I read blogs (beauty and otherwise) written by bloggers of various ages but I do pay attention to those to blog about stuff that is relevant to me e.g. my skin type, skins concerns, favourite make up, etc. And I would honestly rather read a blogger who posts “real” photos of how something works on the skin rather than those who photoshop themselves to death. That’s not beauty blogging, that’s being a cam*****.

There will always be shallow people out there. Let’s not give them time of the day. There are far more important things in life!

March 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Photoshop is such a touchy subject. Some people do it so well and most of us aren’t above brightening and adjusting colours in photos but I’ve also heard of bloggers who refuse to allow their faces to be put online unless they have first applied Photoshop to it. That’s sad right? To be that insecure. I would take the position to not put my face online at all, if that’s the case 😛 But you’re right. Too many shallow people, brought about by too many reality tv programmes perhaps 😉

mrsdjones
March 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

I go for beauty blogger that is more experienced with her purchase (read: usually older and wise) and not just blog about beauty because everything looks “nice” and “cute” and “glam”. I love a blog with tips and honest opinion. That is the most important IMHO. :)

March 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I think I like blogs that are a little more varied. I actually get bored reading post after post about beauty or new products or reviews whether from older or younger bloggers – its just more fun isn’t it? :)

mrsdjones
March 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

I wish you have like button for comments! I love Hasegawa Ayane comment. Nothing can change beauty in the inside :)

Nikki March 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

hi PB!!! You know what? I think I know who the readers are talking about! She/He/IT includes me in it! Why am I so happy that I’m still part of a circle (even ugly circle)? hahahaha

I’m glad I don’t have the “onion” skin but a “chicken” skin! *laughs*

Anyway, back to the topic, hats off to you for this blog post, blogging really is for everyone, there’s always an “X” mark on the upper right hand side of your computer screen if you dislike seeing the face of this certain “blogger” and I’ll stick to what I believe in…just like you, Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, as long as we know our tiny li’l posts help people OUT there, I don’t care plastering my dark undereye circles or dry, cracked lips just to share to the world which products work for me and MAY work for them :)

Ahhh so many things to talk about, we have to meet again! LOL!!!!

jen March 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

yes ms. nikki! i read it on ms. liz’ post that somebody on twitter tweeted that u together w/ ms. liz & ms. shen(?) and few more bloggers too? don’t have the right to blog about beauty bcoz u’re not beautiful..:)

kahani March 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Okay, I now totally want that link because I’m a curious miss.

March 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Ahhh what a good quick catch up gossip session we had! I can’t believe there are nasty people like that – you’re young and beautiful 😀 And you are right. There is that X button for people who don’t want to read something. I employ it a lot. Just X it if you don’t Get it! 😉

JackieA March 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

I am neither young nor beautiful (my husband will strongly disagree, of course!!) and I have not once read a blog post and gone digging for a photo of the blogger behind the blog to verify her beauty and age……if THAT is a person’s standards by which a blog is judged, then he or she must be quite immature.

March 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’d disagree too because we are more harsh on ourselves than we should be 😉 And yes, I don’t bother finding out how a blogger looks like unless I’m really curious or am a big fan 😀

Yuki
March 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

That’s nonsense… Beauty bloggers should come frm all walks of life! If all beauty bloggers were young, where would the older readers go to for reviews?

March 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Haha good point! Us older bloggers will have to go hide in a forum somewhere? 😛

lynne March 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Absolutely not. I read beauty blogs (and lots of them) for product reviews and other beauty-related information / discussions; if I wanted to see pictures of pretty girls I’d just buy a magazine! In fact, I’d actually prefer beauty / fashion blogs written by ladies who are usually considered only ‘average’ or ‘less-than-average’ looking, or ladies with supposedly ‘imperfect’ bodies (i.e. people who are not super model thin, with looong legs and/or tiny waists), because they reflect who I am, they share my ‘flaws’ and my same concerns! Similarly, I also prefer blogs written by ladies who share my skin type / body type / around my age range, especially those written by ‘non-professionals’ (i.e., people who are not full-time bloggers) because they typically have a lifestyle that I can relate to better (e.g. testing how products fare after long days in the office / budgetary concerns etc). All in all, I want to read a blog by someone I can relate to, not a beautiful ideal that I can only strive (but fail) to attain.

March 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I fully agree with you on the criteria by which I pick the beauty blogs or any blog that I follow. Its easier to relate to someone who has the same concerns I do and how they surmount those concerns in the hope it’ll work for me too :)

jen March 20, 2012 at 10:33 am

i find it strange this blog allows same name/id to be registered.
i’m definitely not that ‘jen’ that wrote the remark.

but since i’m here..i would like to say..beauty is not compulsory but effort is.
before i go on, i will say this much, i’m probably your oldest subscriber here, maybe older than most of yr subscribers’ mothers!!
reason i sub to quite a few beauty blogs is it’s an easy way to be kept updated on new beauty products. unlike those days, relying only on printed promo in mags and such. i may be old but i still enjoy reading about it.
now back to topic..i’ve come across blogs ,unfortunately. mostly locals, where not much effort and thoughts have been put in the writeup and the pic.
mostly simple thing like running a comb thru yr hair before taking yr pic , ensure finger nails look decent before showing off the nail polish or skin is touch up before showing off lipstick or blusher or whatever.
things like ‘ pardon my hair/skin/me, am too lazy’ just don’t cut it.
i have since unsub from those blogs.

March 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hi Jen, why there are same/similar names is because I don’t “register” anyone’s name/ID :) Its an open comment box unlike that in a forum where IDs are registered. That said, if indeed you are a more matured person reading my blog, I am truly truly honored! I’d say there’s never an age limit to beauty and that’s what makes it so much fun, unlike say fashion where even I am having trouble finding proper clothes in the market that do not make me look like a K-pop fan, a young teen or just trying too hard. With beauty, we can all wear the same lipstick regardless of age. Thanks for raising the point about taking the trouble to just make sure things look decent before posting up online. It reflects a lot on a person and how much attention they pay to their own appearance, or how they are perceived (or whether they care at all). I too can’t relate to them :)

VelvetP March 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

Absolutely detest the idea that beauty bloggers should be beautiful/young. Well, I guess the notion of ‘beauty’ extends beyond just looking good. Take Chizu Saeki for example, she’s very well-respected even though she’s definitely not classified under ‘youth’ anymore. Her skin looks 10 yrs younger than her biological age- (now, that’s a valuable secret all women wanna know!)

As a reader, I like to read honest, unbiased and ‘smart’ reviews of a product. I also think a beauty blogger would gain my respect if she recommends or knows ways of making one look like herself, but only better. :)

So keep on going with whatever you’re doing, Paris ! Plus, I think you fall under the category of ‘young and beautiful’.

March 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, VelvetP :) I didn’t know who Chizu Saeki is and had to look it up but boy! You are right! She looks so young and I’d definitely love to learn her secrets. No young ‘un could ever teach me that 😀 Thank you for the encouragement – I’m no longer “young” but I’d like to think I’m beautiful – let someone else disagree hehe… 😉

synical
March 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I don’t agree personally, but on the other hand, everyone is entitled to their opinion especially on the Internet.

There’s a saying that involves a certain part of the human anatomy, but I won’t go there 😛
synical recently blogged…Review: Fipper SlipperMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Ok here I am cracking my head thinking about the anatomy but all I can think of is nothing I’d like to print here LOL 😛

synical
March 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

If you can’t print it, then it’s probably the same thing, haha.

March 23, 2012 at 12:39 am

Too true 😛

beetrice
March 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

If every blogger was a beauty queen, I wouldn’t bother – it’s about making the best of what you have, and if they’re all already flawless to begin with, there’s nothing I can learn from them except beat down the green-eyed monster (which is why I don’t read certain blogs to begin with!).

Besides, life is a lot more fun with variety right? 😀
beetrice recently blogged…Finally, a free (well not quite, but very enjoyable) weekend…My Profile

March 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Definitely! Variety is the spice of life right? When I was a kid, I asked my dentist if I should wear braces because I had one crooked tooth and everyone else wore braces. He told me that I didn’t have to because “Why do you want to look like everyone else?” And its stuck in my mind ever since!

March 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

I think anonymity gives these people courage to leave hideous comments. Don’t they know we can see their IP addresses? A blogger friend closed down her blog because her haters diss her left right and centre. That is not only wrong. That is downright low. As a blogger myself, I do find it daunting to put my face out there. I am fortunate that I get lovely readers who leave motivating comments.
As a reader, the first thing I look for is quality of photos. I need to see the swatches clearly, or the product in question. Next will be style of writing. Then, it will be whether or not I can relate to her: similar taste in makeup or similar skin condition. The last thing I see is if she’s pretty enough. The blogs that I avoid like a plague are those that are super frilly, little girls with huge fake lenses and falsies that are thick enough to sweep the floor. I won’t diss those, to each her own.
Lily recently blogged…Zap ze Zit Marks with Clinique Derma White Micro-Motion C SerumMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

The closing down of that blogger’s blog due to what is essentially cyber bullying, is very upsetting. And yes, putting one’s face out there, really inviting criticism, is a daunting task, which you do well 😉 I’m really picky about the blogs I read too but its is across all genres not just beauty where for me, content is key and the primary thing I focus on. There are blogs I read that have no pictures at all, but which I return to over and over, because I enjoy what they dish out :)

Stacie March 20, 2012 at 11:22 am

I am an older video maker and blogger. I think that women of all ages have good information to share. I enjoy many styles of blogs from women of all ages. I don’t care what the woman looks like as long as the information shared is what interests me and is reliable.

Thanks for doing a post on this topic!

Stacie

March 22, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hi Stacie, you’re absolutely right. So long as someone has information to share the we can all benefit from, there’s no need to have superficiality blur all that. Keep on blogging and vlogging!

Sue
March 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

That’s such a nasty and immature comment! I agree when you say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Honestly, I started taking care of my skin because I want to look presentable and I read and follow blogs that I can relate too rather than following a blog because the blogger is pretty. Really! Why do people make such immature comment?!

March 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I think the person who made the comment was just trying to stir up trouble. Taking care of our skin is a good first step and I think the wealth of information out there on the Internet is very helpful no matter how old the person sharing is or how she looks. Whats important is how helpful the information is to us. :)

Honey March 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh Paris, looks like you hit the nail on this topic! I’m probably in the same category as Jen “older than most of your subscriber’s mother” but heck I’m still as interested in make up and skin care products as I was when I was a teenager.
I follow beauty blogs for its contents, and like someone said it must resonate with me. Of course it doesn’t hurt if the blogger is pretty as well, however if the contents are crap, it is not going to hold anyone’s interest for long.
I like that bloggers are normal people and I truly applaud them for their passion and effort to post reviews, tutorials and what nots, and salute them for showing their “bare face before make up” look. For product reviews I tend to trust bloggers (the ones whose opinions I value) rather than adverts, as you well know Paris! In that sense, sponsored bloggers are also not up my alley. On the age issue, a too young blogger can’t resonate with me!

March 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Aww Honey, as I told Jen, I’m very honored to have more matured readers reading and contributing because there is no age limit to beauty! We can wear the sAme lipstick as a 20 year old and still rock the look which isn’t quite the same with fashion, urgh! I too go for content more than just looks. I read some blogs by some young girls and their content is so engaging and matured that it doesn’t matter how old they are. In this day and age, there will be a lot of sponsored content out there. The trick is to sift through it and pick out what you may find useful, but I have to admit its getting harder and harder to do that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! :)

Phoenix March 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

IMHO, the reason i started following beauty blogs was purely based on my interest in finding out more about beauty products, by reading reviews & viewing swatches on beauty blogs.

And i accept that everyone has their own unique kind of beauty & i haf no interest to judge whether they are beautiful or not bcoz everyone has a different standard on what is beautiful. That said, i read quite a lot of beauty blogs nowadays & yes, i do admit that i also enjoy admiring some ‘young & beautiful’ blogger’s FOTDs but that is not a prerequisite for me to enjoy reading the blog.

But the beauty blogs which attract me the most are the ones with detailed & honest reviews, great quality product pictures, & an enjoyable read overall. The look of the blogger doesn’t make a blog more attractive to me. It’s the personality of the blogger that matters to me, & of coz, if they happen to be young & beautiful, that’s a bonus & i’m happy for them.

And…i seriously think blogging is not the same as magazines or TV commercials. We the normal consumer just want someone who looks like us, thinks like us & relate more to us to give their opinions on a particular product. That’s the real reason why i refer to beauty blogs rather than magazines on whether a product is worthy to enter my lemming list or not. Real people with real looks are more credible!

Great topics to ponder upon again Paris! =) That’s why you’re one of my FAVE beauty blogs. And btw, i never considered u as an ‘older blogger’…it’s all in the mind, you are as young as u think u are. 😉 Sorry for the long essay here, just my 2 cents worth…=P

March 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love getting long comments from readers hehe, so thank you Phoenix! :) like you, I read beauty blogs for information Or to learn something and thats more important to me – that I take away something or at least enjoy my visit and many vood bloggers, young and old are successful at that. I think beauty transcends age because we can all be beautiful at any age and still love taking care of ourselves at any age and that’s the point that clearly the person in the comment doesn’t understand. Pity isn’t it? Oh and thank you, I don’t think I’m old either – forever young!! 😉

Jyoan March 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Of course not! I have older ladies in my list of readings! As in really mature bloggers. And I don’t think there is anything wrong. I read them because what they write is truthful, and insightful. Truthful is always one of those things I look out for because I guess one of big reasons we turn to online is to get away from advertisements that tell a bunch of beautiful lies.

If the content is helpful to me, in the sense, they write things that I can use/add on to my life, I read. I am pretty sure everyone is capable of writing useful things as long as they make the effort. Truth and insightful content are not look-dependent results.

March 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I think we have something to learn from anyone no matter their age. Of course, if they are older, it would also mean they’ve even around longer and have more to teach us. That said there are also immature older women and mature young ones. As you said, if the content is good, why care about age or looks :)

Ling
March 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Young and beautiful? Dayum! I gotta stop blogging then, haven’t I?! *mucho sarcasm intended*

To be honest, I like all kinds of beauty blogs from young (teenagers) to younger (40-onwards) 😛

As for being beautiful, I believe beauty comes from within and like you said, we are all beautiful – in our own special individual unique ways!
Ling recently blogged…5 Beauty Products That Helped Me When I Suffered 5 Days Of DiarrhoeaMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Haha you’re a young ‘un Ling 😛 I like reading any blog that is a good entertaining read or informative. That’s got nothing to do with age or looks right? 😉

sharon March 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

the person who commented that beauty bloggers who arent pretty enough are not qualified to blog, is definitely an ugly toad himself or herself. Beauty comes from within and that beauty is priceless. Grace is also part of beauty which many people seem to be lacking in….I think this person should reflect in his or her own pee since all mirrors would be smashed by the ugliness of this being..

March 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm

You’re right, Sharon. We see less and less of grace these days. People think they can say anything, never mind that it hurts the feelings of others, because they are protected by anonymity or because they feel they are entitled. There are nice ways of saying something and that is a dying art!

Rahainah
March 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I mainly go to beauty blogs when I want to read reviews on products I’m interested in getting. So basically I’m aiming for informative kinda beauty blog with the product’s pictures/swatch/etc of course. And to me I’m more interested in the product, not the wearer which the product is applied on. So saying this, beauty is secondary to my when subscribing to beauty blogs. As long as the picture qualities are excellent with good information on the product then it’s enough.

To me it’s mean when judging a beauty blog, the blogger must be a beauty. Like you said, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are many aspects to beauty”—I really agree with this. To me women with confident, is much more beautiful than any beauty queens compiled together.

March 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I have to agree with you! Most of us who read blogs go to blogs because we want information. We don’t have to know if the blogger is beautiful or young for if so, where would those seeking info on aging creams and wrinkle creams go eh? 😉 perhaps the person thought a beauty blogger meant a beautiful blogger and if so, she probably isn’t in a position to comment heh

Hanny
March 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

What is this nonsense? Whoever who judges a “beauty blog” in this manner should just go hang themselves, really. Perhaps their comprehension of the term is wrong, as in a blog of a person’s “beauty”?

I’ve known several of such blogs of girls just… buying stuff and posing “cutely” with their products because they are young, svelte and pretty. In fact, there are some who just do it and get so many PR packages. It is just sickening. Whatever happened to the pure joy of trying everything and sharing anything that you come across?

We all need to know that the beauty of the person does not reflect on the products they use or whatever makeup techniques they utilize, but how they were BORN with. I was never born fair and thin, does that mean that this new cleanser for oily skin won’t work for me?

The load of logic in the minds of people nowadays just… baffles me.
Hanny recently blogged…Hanny’s Makeup Class Foray, Part 2~ (Pictures and Thoughts)My Profile

March 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Ah these days it’s a matter of how many freebies can my blog get me, not how can my trial process help another person. Sad but that’s how it is. A lot of beauty comes from self confidence and sometimes, just knowing your best angle when taking photos. The latter is the hardest. Sigh

Elaine March 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Q: Are beauty bloggers supposed to be all be young and/or beautiful?
A: Absolutely not. Beauty-blogging is for ANYONE out there who has the passion for it.

March 22, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Amen, sister! 😉

Issa March 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Awww, this is crap… I know who these bloggers they were referring to because I’m an avid reader of those blogs. But why am I reading their beauty blogs if according to that someone they are not beautiful? Because I am not after the looks of the blogger, I am after the content of what they are writing. Besides, these bloggers are there to help us on our skin concerns so how can they address this if they are perfectly beautiful and young? Everyone has the right to become a beauty blogger if they want to.

March 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I got the low down Issa 😉 All the bloggers in question Re undoubtedly beautiful ladies who are very generous in sharing their knowledge and I do think the comment SA sun called for. Besides, I think the world would be a really boring place if all our beauty information was restricted to just the young and gorgeous. I’d probably feel terribly insecure as I age!

Appy March 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Age and physical appearance are just irrelevant when u re really passionate and confident abt what you do.
If you love something and if you want to do something, just do it.Dont think what people gonna think.If you will bother abt others comment, you can never do what you really want.So just listen to what you want and do it.
Flaunt your style coz you totally worth it….
Thanks Paris for writing on such great and inspiring topics….I am an abid reader of ur blog !!!!

March 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Hi Appy, thanks for sharing your thoughts and delurking :) I have to agree with you that if you love something enough, just do it. I’ve personally experienced the fear of other peoples comments but know what? With age, I’ve gotten that confidence to just go and do what I have to do and it’s great! Don’t be a stranger now! 😉

Swati
March 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I read the same issue being discussed on Sesame’s blog long back and it is so wrong!!! who has the prergoative to decide whether someone is beautiful or not??? And, even I concur with you that blogs written by “older” woman as you say are more worthy of being read than other blogs.
Swati recently blogged…MVO Moisturizing Face Screen {Product Review}My Profile

March 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Hehe it seems to be a recurring topic, this beauty bashing thing :) I have come across some well written blogs by younger bloggers too but there is a difference when it’s written by someone a little ‘older’. I feel they lend a bit of a different air about it, which is a little more wisdom perhaps? :)

Esther March 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I think it’s actually easier to relate sometimes when the blogger isn’t that beautiful – it makes it seems like you’re both on the same side of the fence (in a sense). Don’t get me wrong – I don’t begrudge beautiful bloggers their own beauty know-how, but I think I value enthusiasm and friendliness (and understandable posts) more than a blogger’s actual looks when it comes to reading these kind of blogs.

March 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I totally get what you mean! I find beautiful bloggers lovely to look at, but intimidating because I just know I won’t have their flawless skin and looks. The nice part is that I’ve met some young beautiful bloggers and they are really lovely girls who will grow up to older beautiful and just as lovely women. But we don’t see many of that. Pity. The friendliness and enthusiasm is now lost in competition :(

jen March 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm

wow! it’s me again! :)
anyway, IMO real beauty bloggers blog about beauty bcoz of their passion for it and not just bcoz they want to flaunt their fairest-ness and flawless skin and good genes to the world lol..beauty bloggers blog not bcoz of the free products sent by PRs for ‘consideration’ (well not all of them) or for sponsorships or affiliations (again, not all of them)
beauty bloggers for me are inspirations..they encourage me to make myself look better, and feel better (sounds like a commercial lol)
they help me build my confidence by making me accept and love my imperfections by simply telling me that I am not the only one who have this or that imperfection and they’re with me! hmm (lack of words here lol)
i personally love ‘matured’ bloggers bcoz (1) they’ve been here for awhile now (2) they know what they need and what they want and what really works for them (3) they know what they’re saying and they stand by their opinions (4) most of them blog bcoz for them it was a hobby or pastime and not for money or source of income or source of beauty products to review ;D

great post ms. paris! u nailed it again!
p.s. when I read my name again for the second time here in your blog, I was again gigglish, almost died (lol) , feeling OMG! just the same as for the first time! lol crazy but it was such a wonderful experience and I feel so appreciated here in your not-so-little-beauty-blogging-community.. this encourage me more to comment and say my own opinion onto something here in your blog and whenever I check the box that says ‘Confirm you are a valued contributor’ there’s always a smile on my face bcoz I really feel that way..

p.p.s. the feeling is mutual ms. paris, I appreciate you too! here in my heart 😀 <3

March 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hi Jen, thank you for the kind words. You are way too sweet! I’m so glad to have you comment, because where else would I get ideas to blog about?! 😉 I have met and read young beautiful bloggers who are lovely young women who love what they do and I can appreciate them. The thing as you have pointed out is that of competition. I find that everyone is so competitive these days, even in blogging, that the whole fun aspect is lost. Bloggers of all ages have lots they can share, and just as similarly, I’ve come across older but immature bloggers who are just as cut throat and competitive. Sometimes I wonder what prize they’re chasing after, when the world would be a better place if we all got along and supported each other, eh?

emily March 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I want to read from a blogger who is passionate and investing in her topic and subject matter. That holds true for cooking, lifestyle, decorating, beauty, etc. I want to see “real” perspective, regardless of what the blogger looks like.

March 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thats true! We read blogs to learn something or find some information and some blogs don’t even have photos of the blogger! Doesn’t stop me reading though

Stephanie/Yukaeshi
March 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm

One of the appeals of reading beauty blogs is how the beauty blogger is almost “similar” to you and it’s a humanising aspect. You are, after all, sometimes looking for “solutions” to your “problems” (Skin woes, makeup tips and tricks for facial features similar to yours) and comparing notes, so why should beauty bloggers should be perfect (Or almost perfect) modelesque beings? And to me, I don’t judge a beauty blog because of how the writer looks, but rather on content.

And yes, in the end it all boils down to the beauty blogger too- I think you’ll have to be relatively resilient and prepared because haters gonna hate either way! (Even if you ARE a perfect modelesque being haha)
Stephanie/Yukaeshi recently blogged…L’Occitane Lavender Hand Purifying GelMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

You said it, Stephanie. Blogs are written by normal people telling us their normal everyday reactions to products which will appeal best to us normal people. I’m not sure how a pretty face or youth could have an edge except perhaps if it was to show off a particular makes look or technique. But for skincare, it’s all fair game!

Mira
March 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I think beauty is subjective. Like you said, beauty lies on the eyes of the beholder. What I seek in beauty blogs are the skincare & cosmetics reviews, personal products recs, tips & tricks on how to apply skincare & make-up better, etc etc. And in your blog, I personally like the “save & splurge” section. And I like it when you talk abt other things beside beauty, like handbags (I loveeeee handbag!).

March 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thank you Mira! You sound like me – mad about bags 😀 I like blogs that mix things up too. Variety is good for the soul and we don’t need to be young or beautiful to have an opinion on beauty! I haven’t found many save and splurge options lately but I’ll be sure when I do 😉

Helen Nguyen
March 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

To be honest, I do understand and agree with ya’ll that blogging shouldn’t limits to being young and beautiful. And mature ppl would appreciate a good quality written post, than looking at a pretty face on a blog. In skin care is understandable to seek out to some one who have the same problem as you, so you can model whatever they doing to get better skin.

But what about fashion? Many of those who have fashion blog are mainly young and beautiful ones and their site has many followers. So it means ppl want to dress like them, or have a body like that so they can pull off any outfits. But could you imagine, a girl who is overweight and acne skin, blogging about fashion and styling an outfit of the day? I know there are girls who do this and I DONT hate on them ok! You think the ‘bigger’ girls will get more popular than the skinny ones?!

I think we all know what the answer is. We’re living in a superficial world.

March 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I agree we live in a superficial world. In fact, I can’t say I’m not superficial either. I do like to see a pretty face myself. I cant say much abt fashion blogs because i dont read them. However, when it comes to blogging in general and haters dish out nasty degrading comments, that’s just wrong. I saw some vids on YouTube about these haters and it’s crazy. The comment that jen mentioned is nothing. I think gossmakeupartist did a video addressing these people. Also Marlena from makeupgeek. If I don’t like a blog, I just don’t go back. I don’t leave unconstructive venomous comments that aim to bring down the person’s morale. There’s a thin line between being verbal and being bitchy. Just sayin’.

March 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Indeed, in this day and age when everythings hanging out there for the world to see, with no secrets or mystery, we are all to an extent superficial. But it’s how we want to deal with it. I don’t personally read fashion blogs so I can’t comment on their situation but I’ve been told that just like in the world of fashion and modeling, the fashion blogs get it worse than beauty bloggers do. It’s a pity because again, fashion comes down to ersonal style and there’s no right or wrong to it. Can’t comment on any other aspect though because I don’t read them :)

Mee March 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

It doesn’t matter what someone blogs about, I usually don’t read a blog just because the blogger is super beautiful. One person should enjoy and believe in the things he/she writes! So my opinion is that a blogger definitely doesn’t have to be like a model with a beautiful face and an amazing body. Furthermore it is much nicer for me to read articles and opinions of a person who is “normal” than of a superficial blogger (which doesn’t mean that all good-looking people are superficial!).
I really like your blog, I am a regular reader, keep up the good work!

March 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Thank you Mee :) like you, I go for blog content first. If the content and writing is good, I’m usually hooked anyway, and it’s a bonus if the blogger is pretty. But I have come across some blogs that are so high and mighty about living the high life that I can’t identify so I don’t follow them. Ultimately, it’s how we feel and what we look for in a blog and that’s something only we will know ourselves :) thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Amanda March 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I will not marvel over a beauty blogger who is young and beautiful, because she is just showing what she already has (while she still has it). My love will be more on those who make the effort to “groom” themselves, regardless of their age and beauty.

March 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

You’re absolutely right, Amanda! A well groomed person is already one step ahead, regardless of age :)

kuri
March 20, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Absolutely not. The beauty of blogging is that all kinds of people can share their experiences – in particular we get the everyday person’s voice, which I love, since I can relate to it so easily! I read the blogs that interest me – some of these bloggers are young and beautiful, but a lot are not. As long as you have passion about something then it comes across in the blog and makes it interesting.

March 22, 2012 at 11:47 pm

You said it! If there’s passion and interest and you manage to communicate that, looks are secondary because people will be hooked reading anyway! Besides, no one can stop anyone from blogging about beauty no matter what they look like or what age they are!

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I agree with Lily! Trolls are everywhere.

I love reading all sorts of beauty blogs, but the kind that keep me coming back are the ones I can relate to (same skin tone/skin type/from the same country) which are well-written with nice clear pictures. It would be just SAD to limit beauty blogs to the young and beautiful (itu pun, who would decide how young? and how beautiful?).

I think it boils down to not letting the haters get to you. I’m glad you brought this to light, and I hope the blogger Jen mentioned reads this and knows that most readers enjoy good content over all else.

March 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Lol you are so right. Who is to say that 20 isn’t considered old online? Would be tragic cos then I’d be ancient hehe … I have enjoyed reading all your thoughts on this topic and I’m very pleased that so many people have their heads screwed on right. It’s heartening for the future 😉

Sunny
March 21, 2012 at 2:34 am

No, what nonsense! I think beauty is an attitude, it’s about being happy in your skin and working with whatever you have. Not everybody looks (or should) look like a model or anything like that! Regardless of age and what we were born with, as long as you have the right attitude you can be beautiful!
Sunny recently blogged…Review: The Brush Guard (Guards Your Brushes!)My Profile

March 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm

The interesting thing is that models are only what people decide they should look like! After all the beacon dot of beauty has changed through the ages and I do wish we’d get over this waif look and bring on some healthier looking girls who look like they eat 😛 at least most beauty bloggers I know love and appreciate good food! 😀

Jacqueline March 21, 2012 at 5:50 am

I like reading how regular ladies deal with issues and acne, sun spots and oily skin etc. so I rather read blogs written by regular folks.

I don’t understand all this beauty bashing, why do some women feel that they need to bash others to feel better about themselves. There is absolutely no need for it.

March 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Beauty bashing seems to be cyclical. Such a pity that people feel the need to empower themselves by bringing another down, eh? And you’re right. We read beauty blogs because we can identify with the problems the. Logger faces and how they deal with it and perhaps that will help us too!

Kim March 21, 2012 at 10:45 am

Young and beautiful is great, but it’s more real for me if the blogger is the average woman off the street. Blogging (even beauty blogging) is about sharing your thoughts, tips, not about whether the blogger is beautiful or not.
Like you said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and with make-up, technology and time, anyone can look great. Youth and beauty can fade with time, but inner beauty will stay.
Keep up your good work!

March 23, 2012 at 12:00 am

Sweet! I fully agree. All anyone’s doing in their blog is sharing their experiences for the world to learn and if someone finds it useful it would be a success! Yay to inner beauty that we should all strive for!

Mrs Top Monkey March 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

I don’t read a lot of blogs. But the ones I find myself reading the most (beauty and other topics) are the ones who are well-written and relevant to me. I have no idea what some of the authors look like. I don’t care.
Actually, if I find out the author is just a normal person struggling with some insecurities (just like me!), I like that blog even more. Because hey, you’re just like me and I can identify with the problems and am happy when you post solutions that work for me as well.

March 23, 2012 at 12:03 am

Yes! You nailed it. I guess that’s what the majority are looking for. Solutions to problems they are facing and finding someone that is having the same proble (and who found a solution) is so inspiring! If I were reading a food blog, I don’t expect the blogger to be a chef so why a beauty blogger should look like a model is beyond me.

Ashley March 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Quite honestly, I especially love beauty blogs when they’re written & edited by older women (and men!)! It’s not that I don’t like and value my age range or those below but a lot of younger bloggers haven’t had the time to accept their natural, youthful beauty (IMO). And a beauty blog is not created solely on flaunting a pretty face, that is ridiculous =__= Has it ever occurred to people some blogs are created solely on reviewing products, telling people what it can help the user achieve or not? That’s why I created my blog – to be HELPFUL, not to simply flaunt my vanity.
Ashley recently blogged…Review: Bison Wakilala Clear Wash & Bright Up EssenceMy Profile

March 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

Love your view Ashley! Ere is a lot of truth in what you say, that many younger women are less accepting of their looks and more critical of faults where there may be none :) and if were to all start blogs to show just how beautiful we were…. That wouldn’t help anyone would it? 😉

coco
March 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Very well said. You can’t define young and beauty. To a 70-year-old, being 60 is young. And like you said beauty is to the eye of beholder. Most blogs I read are written by ‘older’ women. I’m ‘old’ and I’m more interested in what ‘older’ people think about products and I like to see how ‘average’ women wear makeup. It’s one reason why I don’t read magazines anymore – they demonstrate makeups on perfect models with flawless skins – they’re already perfect, i can’t see much improvements! It’s the content that’s more important.
coco recently blogged…maybelline super stay lip linersMy Profile

March 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

Haha yes, what is youth and who defines it? Ditto beauty. I think Younger women who find solutions to their problems will help other young women and ditto older women. We all have a space, the Internet is so big so I don’t know why there are people who persist in bringing others down when there’s no need! :)

milktea March 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

There are some very strange people out there. Let’s avoid them and their shallow views. Blogs are written by the people, for the people! I read blogs based on the subject matter and how well the blogger writes.

March 23, 2012 at 12:38 am

I have to second you on the multitude of strange people out there! Especially those who think it great fun to bring another down. What is the world coming to eh?

Rudin June 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Sorry, but for me it is all about the products and swatches. If you write helpful reviews, then I couldn’t care less about your looks or your age! Honestly!

And, just saying, I’m 22…. :)

Amber August 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This is an interesting topic. It’s a total misconception to assume beauty bloggers MUST be young and beautiful. There are heaps of beauty bloggers out there that are almost the same age as me(I’m 20) but I don’t find their beauty tips that useful because most of them already have near perfect skin and are somewhat beautiful. Some of them don’t even provide any useful tips. Instead, I often find myself reading beauty blogs with owners in their late 20s and above. They have more experience and some can provide some useful information. One of my favorite blogger is Jen from head to toe. A beauty blogger doesn’t have to be beautiful as long as they look decent after makeup. The most important thing of a beauty blog is to provide useful information, not just flaunting their beauty.

Aylwin February 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Blame the corporations.

Blogging is a corporate thing now.

Ever heard of MHB (Msia’s Hottest Bloggers)?
Have to be pretty, camwhore loving, drink happy and love clubbing to apply.
That’s why big sponsors like carlsberg, samsung, bmw like them cause pretty young things grace the events attended by rich old men.