There have been these “Random things about me” posts and tags going around for a while and I’ve been tagged on Instagram to share random facts about me but I mostly chose not to do them. I’m not a very interesting person and I’m not all that random, so I figured there isn’t anything very interesting to say.
But I was told by someone recently that just because I didn’t find myself interesting didn’t mean that others would as well. So I thought “Alright, let’s do this” So here are 40 Random Things About Me and if you didn’t find it very interesting, don’t say I didn’t warn you! 😀
- I like country western music and oldies. I can sing along to a lot of oldies which can be embarrassing, or just amusing.
- But I can’t really sing and I don’t delude myself into believing I can, so no karaoke for me!
- I just moved house this year for the first time, and I don’t want to do it ever again! It’s exhausting! (But ultimately very fulfilling)
- I didn’t wear any makeup till I started working. In university, all I owned was one brown lipstick and 1 powder foundation both of which lasted me all through university.
- I still rarely wear makeup on weekends unless I’m going out or meeting people and don’t want to scare the general populace.
- I don’t eat tofu or most soy based products. I am not a proponent of them either as I try to avoid processed foods and tofu is processed. Think about it.
- I love to drive and I love cars.
- I can’t dance. No rhythm no soul.
- I learned classical piano for almost 12 years. I can’t play a note anymore (sorry Mom!)
- I’m very analytical and logical. I often feel like Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation although I often wish I could switch off feeling like an android can.
- I love watching anything sci-fi.
- I love reading but I hate chick-lit and romance novels.
- I don’t read self help books either.
- I read a lot of crime fiction and fantasy novels. I’m a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and have almost all his books which I read and re-read often, discovering something new with every reading.
- My sense of humour lies in word play so I love dry humour. Not a fan of slapstick and comedies with canned laughter really bug me.
- I have an over-active imagination.
- So I tend to over-plan and over-think things. That’s why I have bouts of insomnia.
- I do my best thinking and planning in the shower so sometimes, I take really long showers.
- I can read maps and I love it, although the GPS has made my map reading skills practically obsolete.
- I can fix things and put things together and I like working with my hands.
- When I’m stressed, I cook.
- I love cooking and experimenting in the kitchen, but I cook from my gut and according to my tastebuds and I don’t really follow nor create recipes.
- I can’t bake. It involves following instructions that are too precise and I can’t do that.
- So it follows that I don’t eat sweets or desserts. I’ll eat most savoury foods but am happy to pass on sweets, desserts, cakes, ice-cream, puddings…
- I’m a conspiracy theorist. Yes I’m Mulder and I believe in aliens and Government cover-ups because y’know, it’s true *dons anorak*
- I don’t enjoy going to the gym. I signed up with one once and swore I’d never join another.
- I hate exercise. One day, I swear I’ll end up looking like Jabba the Hutt.
- Everything I know about computers, HTML and coding, I taught myself.
- I was told once that I should be a children’s book writer. Maybe I could be the next JK Rowling *snort*
- I enjoy solving puzzles and mysteries.
- I have a very short fuse and I bear grudges.
- I only keep in touch with 1 person from school and we’ve known each other since we’re 3.
- I have trust issues and am very wary especially when meeting new people.
- Which is why I have a reputation of being icy, which is something I’ve accepted as a personal quirk, but which used to bug me when I was younger.
- Which is also why I don’t have many close friends but those who are, I cherish and am very loyal to.
- I’m not very fashionable and I don’t particularly enjoy reading about fashion.
- Which is why I stick to a very simple style of dress that I hope comes across as classic, if not old-fashioned.
- I’m not very good with wearing accessories either and when I do, I tend to wear earrings or necklaces only. Silk scarves are a mystery to me and one I can’t solve.
- However, I have an unabashed love for designer bags, and I can spot one from a mile away. I still own my very first designer bag that I bought with my own savings the day I turned 30.
- Today, I turn 40. I told my sister a few years ago that I’d reveal my age if I was still blogging at 40 and since I am, I’m keeping my word 🙂
Told ya I wasn’t very interesting 🙂
But this is also a good time for me to let you know that as I do at this time of year, I’m going on a blog break. I know I haven’t been quite on the ball with the blog this year as I have been in previous years and I just need to step away and back for a while, to gather my thoughts and to gain some perspective on things.
It’s been quite a tumultuous time for me in recent times (mostly off blog and not blog related) and I don’t want to be half-hearted about the things I do. So today is a good day to tell you that I’m going on a break and that it will be longer than usual. I cannot tell you when I’ll be back, but I promise I will eventually. It will just take me a while, and no, it’s nothing to do with getting older 😀 I’m actually comfortable about getting older. It happens and we just have to age gracefully and accept our limitations 🙂
Thank you all for all the support in reading the blog and for your comments and emails and sharing you’ve done with me all this time. I’ve spoken to many people who tell me that MWS readers and commentators are the best because you guys are intelligent and actually “talk” to me and we hold lovely discussions and you help each other out, and I truly appreciate that. I hope to come back and “talk” to you again soon 🙂
In the meantime, I would likely be most active on Instagram @ParisBMWS if I pop out of seclusion, so if you’re wondering what I’m up to while on a blog break, it’ll be best to look for me there. Otherwise, there are over 3070 posts you can dig through in the archives or just use the navigation bar at the top. Maybe you’ll discover some new tips or discussions or posts you might enjoy 🙂
Be good! I’ll be back once the dust settles 😉