When I recently went away on vacation, it was to a country in the Northern Hemisphere which had just broken through a particularly long winter, and Spring was just in the air. That wasn’t quite what the weather report for Prague told me when I checked before I left. I had reports of weather in the teens and wide ranges of temperature of 25° – 6°C … in one day! I wasn’t upset – no sirree! It meant I could drag out my boots and tights and coats! Whee! :D
But as I packed my cosmetic pouch, I knew I had to make a bit of allowance for this sort of temperatures and weather. Coming from the tropics, I’m used to warm and importantly, humid weather for most of the day, everyday. Light textured products like gels or gel creams are preferable for comfort. But from experience, I knew that weather in Europe was not only colder, it was also drier and creams generally work better there.
So when I packed my pouch, I made sure I bore this in mind. I thought I’d share what I packed, because I’ve had people ask me before this what they should pack for a holiday to a colder climate, and also because I know many of you will travel at some point and may wonder if you should compensate for your skincare or if you can carry your own :)
If you are going away for an extended time, I’d suggest you make allowances for your skincare after you arrive, so I wouldn’t bring too much. If you are just going on vacation then here’s what I packed which may give you an idea of where to start.
You may notice that my focus is on hydration. I consciously allowed for more hydrating products because I knew that cold air on cheeks has a tendency to dry skin out. Nevermind how wonderful it feels, or how you go “Ooh, my cheeks look so red and rosy from the cold!” Its not all good for the skin so I made allowances.
- Clarins Hydraquench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase : I had a sample bottle of this and taking it with me has reminded me just how much my skin likes it. I still don’t like the scent which reminds me of jasmine flowers (I don’t like jasmine scents) but I forgave it because my skin loved the gentle oil-liquid blend and loved how well it absorbed into my skin and kept it hydrated. I have an old review here. I may have to purchase this once I streamline my skincare routine a little more.
- Eve Lom Cleanser : This was perfect as an all in one makeup remover, end of day face cleanser. A reader told me that it works better in Europe where their water is harder than our water here in Malaysia. She was right. I didn’t have to carry a separate makeup remover, and my skin was clean and exfoliated and hydrated and all round lovely! The in depth review can be found here.
- Dior Capture Totale Creme de Nuit Haute Regeneration: I carried the full sized tub because this has been my night cream for the past 2 months. I picked this one up because my skin was looking awful and I needed something different and perhaps, drastic. I remembered how well this cream worked for me once before to restore the condition of my skin so I sucked it up and bought it. It has turned my skin around again and I am in love with it once more so I carry it wherever I go now! Its very thick so I like mixing in a few drops of oil which is where the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery concentrate comes in.
- Clarins Hydraquench Cream Mask : I remembered how this mask works very well on parched skin and I previously bought a Clarins skincare set that came with generous sized samples. So I took this with me. I used the Cream Mask every alternate night, applying a thick layer on my skin, allowing it to absorb, and then I’d tissue off the excess. I did not wash my face, to maximise the effect, and just layered on the rest of my skincare. It helped my skin stay supple and hydrated even as I exposed it to the harsh Spring sun (surprisingly harsh!) and cold winds. You can read an old review here.
- Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream : Ahhh this one is something I discovered years and years ago! I love carrying a tube with me when I travel to colder climes because this works wonderfully for me to ease the dry bits of skin. I use it as a lip balm, hand cream and to soothe dry patches anywhere on my face or body. It works a treat although it does smell. I don’t mean smell fragrant, I mean smell :D I like it though and I realised I have never blogged about it. Perhaps I should eh? This is an iconic product!
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate : I really have nothing more to say about this one than I already have here, here and here! I may not use it everyday now because I’m using something else but I always have a bottle on standby. It serves to hydrate my skin and soothe my senses thanks to the lovely lavender scent. In this case, I use it blended with a thick rich night cream and also as an additional layer of moisture for my skin. Goes almost everywhere with me too!
- Melvita Floral Water : I had a little travel sized spray bottle from a Melvita sampler set I bought a while ago, so it came in handy for misting my skin just before my skincare goes on. Better than a toner for added moisture.
- Hada Labo UV Whitening Emulsion: This was my sunscreen for the trip and I’ve come to realise that it doesn’t work half as well as the Shiseido one does so I know I cannot depend on this if I expect to be out in the sun. I actually came home with a light tan. Odd, I know! But it wasn’t drying at least so that’s a consolation. Full review here.
- Clarins Hydraquench Cream for Normal to Dry skin: This was a sample tube given to me by a friend and my first time trying it. I have to say, I was very impressed. My skin loved the gentle texture and it kept my skin well hydrated. I used it in the day as a day cream, and my skin was very comfortable! Definitely one I’m going to consider purchasing when my present hydrating moisturiser hits the bottom of the tub (which will happen because I’ve been a very very good girl! :D )
That was it!
I love how this Clarins Hydraquench trio worked so well together! If you have normal to dry skin or if you feel like your skin needs that boost of hydration, I highly recommend using these. I tried two of them a while ago and I remember being duly impressed but now that my skin is turning dry (age, damn you!) I have a new-found appreciation for them. Definitely ones I’ll be looking to, to purchase full sizes of!
These too worked very well especially for the colder evenings. My skin adores the Dior Capture Totale night cream and I swear its repaired and restored my skin to a level which makes me very very happy. Money well spent! The Eight Hour Cream prevented my lips from chapping, and my cuticles from drying out. All that cold air outside and hot showers aren’t good for your skin health. It actually dries it out more!
With this skincare routine, I ended up not breaking out while on vacation (which is a first!) and despite the cold, dry air my face didn’t feel dry nor look dry, my lips did not chap and my hands did not dry out too much. A first for me! :D
If you live where there’s Spring and Winter, it would be interesting to hear from you if any of these have helped your skin?
If you come from the tropics and plan to go somewhere cold this year, do remember to up the hydrating products, and where possible, do a hydrating mask every other day. Your skin will thank you for it and you’ll glow in your holiday photos! :)