One of the nice things about meeting makeup artists is the little makeup secrets and tips they sometimes share. I always love learning something new and when I do, I like sharing it too! 😀
Today’s tip is from Estee Lauder – how to create a smokey eye when all you have on hand is eyeliner and concealer. In fact, I’d like to say that this is a great tip for creating cream eyeshadow when you have none on hand!
You only need 2 items from any brand:-
- Eyeliner – black or any colour you want
- Creamy or liquid concealer
For my purposes, I picked the Guerlain eyeliner kohl pencil and the Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer. I’ve discovered a new love in the latter which I will share in a different post. Read on for what you have to do to create your own cream eyeshadow 🙂
The tip is really to create a smokey eye look. But I prefer something more subtle so I skip the additional layer of eyeshadow. I will detail it below.
- Using the eyeliner pencil, colour in a square of colour on the back of your hand. Keep it pigmented. Take a dab of concealer and dab it on the back of your hand.
- Using your finger, take a dab of concealer and mix it into the square of eyeliner. You can see that the colour I have is a dark grey – a colour I particularly like using.
- Dab the colour on your lid. Mix more eyeliner for greater intensity if you wish. If you want more colour, use a powder eyeshadow and dab it over your lid. You will get colour that is more intense and stays on longer.
- I use some concealer to blend away the hard edges of colour, line with the liner pencil and add mascara. Tada!
By mixing the concealer with the liner, you have created a form of cream eyeshadow. Sure, its not quite perfect, but then few things are unless you have all the right tools. What this is is a quick fix when you don’t have your makeup arsenal with you, or when you want to travel light.
Because the concealer I use is a long wearing one, it lasts the whole day on me. You could also try using an eyelid primer instead of a concealer. Just make sure its something creamy that you can use to mix into the eyeliner pencil 🙂
If you’d like to learn this tip or other makeup tips in more detail, head down to any Estee Lauder counter – the resident makeup artist should be able to teach you want you want to know.
Note: Be sure to use makeup remover to remove the colours from the back of your hand. I didn’t and I ended up with a “stain” for 2 days 😛