Facials are, as we all know, a luxury. First of all, is the luxury of time. Expect to spend at least an hour to an hour and a half at the salon. Secondly, is the luxury of cost. Facials don’t come cheap and regular facials can add up in cost.
Based on my own experience, I’d say that regular facials are a great help to improving the look and texture of the skin. I go to the Kanebo salon for my facials. I’m not saying its the best but its the one I’m most comfortable with. There are many places you can go to for facials, some of which are cheaper and some of which are more expensive than others.
Why I like going for facials is because:
- I get to relax and sleep. Sleeping or relaxing relaxes your facial muscles and skin and helps your skin absorb the facial products better.
- Having someone clean your face for you is a luxury. Yes, we all know how to clean our faces, but having someone else do it for once while you relax is a great feeling. Plus, extractions done under such an environment don’t usually leave scars because the facialists are trained to recognise what can be extracted and what can’t, unlike if you were to try it at home.
- Facial massage. Believe me, you just can’t do the facial massage on your own face. The effect just isn’t the same. So, just as you would pay for a body massage, I’d pay for a facial massage.
- Salon products and essences are more potent. Some of these salon products are activated by the machines used, to encourage your skin cells to be more active. Very few people have the luxury of having facial machines in the home.
- My skin has never looked better. When I started going for regular facials, I found that my skin had improved in texture and look. I had fewer breakouts and my skintone looked more even.
You are recommended to have a facial done once every 3 weeks, but I find that too much of a luxury, so I go once a month or so, depending on my schedule. My face always feels very clean and moisturised at the end of every facial, and the skin looks translucent, which is pretty amazing.
So yes, I’d say that for me, regular facials are necessary. Next, I’ll list some tips for choosing your facial salon based on my own experiences.
10 comments ... Read or JOIN THE DISCUSSION
I totally agree with you on the regular facial thing coz I also have a regular facial once a month. Like they have the machine to massage the serum and oxygen gel mask into the skin. They also have trained eye to remove the blocked pores and also the facial massage technique which cannot be done at home.
It really makes a difference!
PB says: I’m glad you agree. Regular facials are so fun too!
Oooh I was going to write the same thing :p Anyways, yeah, I now only go to Kanebo salons (do write up on that :p); they’re really clean, lovely ambiance, and the beauticians don’t talk you to death.
For me, once a month. Less than that, is too much of a luxury. Plus I don’t think it’s necessary lar.
Yay for facials! 😀
PB says: Gosh! We think alike don’t we? Do a piece – it’ll be nice to have a different perspective 🙂 I’ll write up about the Kanebo salons some day. I really like them and I try for once a month, schedule permitting. Yay for facials!
hmmm…where is kanebo saloon? care to give details on the cost and etc?
PB says: Depending on where you are, there are 3 salons – Bangsar (Jln. Telawi), Starhill Gallery (Pamper floor) and Gurney Plaza (Penang). I’ll do a proper write up soon
hmm, the skin seems to get used to doing facials and while after a facial, the skin loooks great, but afterwards, self cleaning never seems to bring back the same clean lustre as produced by a facial. so not sure if that is a good thing.
PB says: I’m not sure about that. My skin has continued improving after regular facial visits. I’d say it actually looks better after having done facials as opposed to not doing it.
Eh… thanks for the reminder. I haven’t gone for facials for months! Thanks to my busy schedule 🙁 I tend to sleep during facials too and sometimes I feel embarrassed cos my therapist will be talking to me and that will be no reply – lol.
PB says: Take some time out to pamper yourself, eh? Yeah, I’m always falling asleep at facials, but they usually expect it 🙂
I was renewing my back facial with Leonard Drake and got two free facials. Used up the first one (my virgin facial treatment) and fuwah..my face was damn smooth and the smoothness lasted a week coz they had the tools to really extract my whiteheads. Did my own facial..by day 4, rough abit adi.
I dun know what tools they used but OMG, extraction was painful. U can feel them scrapping the surface. If I used their strength at home, my face would prolly be filled with those blood clot bruise patches. Nowonder they said to always go to professionals. Now I know why.
I’m definitely making it a monthly visit. Its a relaxing therapy. I call it MY day. Imagine, facial and back treatment back to back. Syiok.
PB says: I agree. The professionals do wonderful things to our skin without making it worse. And you seriously know how to enjoy! What a relaxing treatment! 🙂
I finally got mine done few days ago… after reading this post – thanks 🙂
I go for facial at leonard drake ampang point. And i dont know whether its done correctly, but everytime after extraction, i have dark red marks, like after you take your pimple out. No doubt after that my skin feel all smooth. But is that suppose to be normal? And my skin takes forever to heal. So am using your Vit E advice nightly now to reduce the dark red marks. Dunno if it is working.