Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment – 75 minutes of sheer bliss!

in Facial,Product Reviews

It’s been months since my last facial, which is quite a big deal for me, as I love my facials. I had a teaser experience at La Mer almost 6 months ago (has it been that long?!) and it had bugged me ever since. I knew it was a matter of time before I went down to the sole La Mer Spa here in Kuala Lumpur for the full 75 minute deal.

la mer facial2 Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss!

Here in Malaysia, the sole La Mer Spa Experience is to be found at Metrojaya Mid Valley Megamall, where you can make your appointment just to have a 75 minute facial, without having to buy the products. There are facial cabins in other counters which offer a 45 minute facial, but those are complimentary treatments with purchase of products. This then, is the real deal! icon biggrin Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss!

I went down with a friend because I like having an independent opinion and we paid for this, lest you think otherwise icon wink Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss! But it turned out to be rather more affordable than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

It is highly recommended that you make an appointment in advance, because there are only 2 treatment rooms available and it is in quite high demand.

When you arrive, you are led into the inner sanctum, where your shoes are exchanged for soft comfy slippers, before being led into the dim room. I’ve seen both the rooms at the La Mer Spa and they both have a tropical fish aquarium inside, lit with a blue glow, that reflects across the room.

la mer facial Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss!

You are left to change into the terry cloth tube robe and lie under the covers until the facial therapist returns a few minutes later. The room was a nice temperature, not too warm and not too cold. It is also pleasantly scented with the soft powdery scent of La Mer products, which are placed on a trolley.

The 75 minute Facial Treatment Experience starts with the facial therapist evaluating your skin before advising you on what sort of facial you could do. I was told that my skin was generally well hydrated (whew!) but I could opt for the whitening/brightening facial if I wanted, but I opted for the Regenerating facial instead which is the regular facial.

The facial therapist then applies some calming fragranced water on her hands and encourages you to breathe in the relaxing scent. Thereafter, she removes your makeup and continues with the facial treatment and massage.

What I noticed was that the whole facial treatment employed a long and very relaxing facial, neck and shoulder massage without using any facial steamer or machines or gadgets. The therapist only uses her warmed hands and forearms to work the Creme de la Mer in a very comfortable and invigorating facial massage.

The eye massage uses the Eye Concentrate, and cool metal ball spatulas to massage around the eye area which is at this point that I fell asleep.

After the first round of facial and eye massage, a layer of Lifting and Firming Mask is applied to the face while you doze, and the therapist then performs a lovely hand and arm massage. The mask is removed, to be followed by another lovely face, neck and shoulder massage with another round of Creme de la Mer!

I was told that during each facial treatment, they use about 15ml of Creme de la Mer, which is a quarter of a 60ml jar that costs almost RM1000! They definitely do not stint on product, because you can feel the slip and the texture as the therapist works her magical hands over your face.

At the end of 75 minutes, I felt absolutely refreshed, and my skin was glowing. I kid you not! The glow lasted well into the week, and the almost magical thing about using the Lifting and Firming Mask is that the next day, your skin looks almost poreless. Again, I kid you not. This was my second time experiencing it, and it’s wonderful!

I noticed as well how well my friend’s skin looked after the facial and we were both very happy with the experience in general. The only fly in the ointment for me as the piped in music for the treatment rooms. I found it a little too loud, and I do not find saxophone music relaxing so the first half of my facial experience was not as comfortable as when the music died down. I usually prefer lighter music or just white noise or the sounds of waves or nature during facials and massages, but that’s a personal preference.

In a nutshell

The La Mer Spa Experience Facial Treatment was a 75 minute treat for the skin. The facial does not employ any extractions or machines nor steaming and only uses facial massage using the Creme de la Mer to stimulate the skin. The facial experience was comfortable and relaxing and there was little to no time wasting, which is something I appreciate in all spa services. The facial massage was relaxing and comfortable and left my skin glowing long after the treatment was over. Absolutely worth the experience!

What I liked: Generous use of products, Comfortable and stimulating face, neck and shoulder massage, Little to no time wasting during the experience, Comfortable temperature and lighting

What can be improved: Softer, more relaxing music

My skin can’t tolerate regular use of the Creme de la Mer moisturiser but it seems to behave well enough after the facial with no breakouts. I was quite comfortable and happy to walk around the mall after, with no makeup (although I do that anyway) and the skin just looked bright and glowing.

Each facial costs RM330 but they have packages of 3 for RM750 and 6 for RM1350. You can share the package with friends so if you do, it only makes sense to buy more because then each facial works out a lot less. Considering the price of a good facial in most salons, I’d say the La Mer Facial Treatment experience isn’t as pricey as I expected. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and yes, signed up for a package! Whee! icon biggrin Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss!

Have you been for the La Mer Facial Treatment before?

I’d read about it for a long time before trying it and I’m now wondering what took me so long. Tsk! Absolutely worth the splurge, if you’re thinking about trying. Don’t wait as long as I did! icon biggrin Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss! My next goal is to try the 2 hour Ultimate Experience at the La Mer Spa at Harrod’s in London. Ah, a girl can dream can’t she? icon wink Salon Spy: La Mer The Spa Experience Facial Treatment   75 minutes of sheer bliss!

La Mer The Spa Experience Facial is available only at Metrojaya Mid Valley Megamall (Tel: 03-2284 1170) Appointments are advisable due to limited space. Prices are correct at time of publication.

Sze Ling August 15, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’m so tempted!!! It has been 1.5 years since my last facial. Oops! :P Will definitely be going for one at La Mer when I’m back.

On the topic of facials at cosmetic booths, I’m not a real fan of those. Usually, I can still hear the hustle and bustle around the store, and it just really take away the relaxing atmosphere of the facial.

August 28, 2014 at 9:58 am

Haha then you will love this one! It’s so incredibly relaxing and the facial massage is awesome. Oh I too dislike facials at those temporary booths! I’d been for some but given a choice, I prefer not to anymore. The noise is very distracting and the piped in music too. Always spoils the mood.

Tass August 15, 2014 at 10:51 am

Totally agree! I fell asleep too as soon as soon as they roll cool metal spatulas on the eyes!! 5 star it is~

August 28, 2014 at 10:02 am

Yay, another fan! :D I don’t know what’s in those metal spatulas but they’re magic :D

Maria August 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

As long as after the facial they don’t push you to buy the products or “force” to sign up.. definitely will try soon !!

August 28, 2014 at 10:03 am

Nope, no hard sell at all! Perhaps it’s because the products are so pricey to start with, so it’s hard to hardsell those (although some salons try it) They may tell you what options are available or what products you can try, but I didn’t get any pushy service at all :)

FireAngel August 15, 2014 at 2:14 pm

oh man. I totally wanna try it but caveat is the midvalley’s pain in the behind parking. :(

August 28, 2014 at 10:08 am

Totally agree with you about MV parking! But if you go early in the morning or later in the evening e.g. 5 or 6pm then I find it’s usually easier to get parking, especially on the lower floors of The Gardens mall. I never park in MV anymore – it’s just a mad house.

Lana August 15, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Wow…this sounds really amazing ^_^
Lana recently blogged…Maybelline Total Clean Express Eye and Lip Makeup Remover -Review, Price, DemoMy Profile

August 28, 2014 at 10:08 am

It felt pretty amazing too Lana :D

Jennifer August 15, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Lovely review! I felt like I was there lol. Facial is my terror for the first 20 minutes or so until extraction is over, then it’s blissful. I do appreciate better looking skin after each facial session but I’ve been so naughty and snowed lately. Your excellent review made me feel like splurging for this facial. Admittedly it’s double or more price wise from my usual session, but life’s too short not to try luxury skincare facial once in a while right? ;)

August 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

Oh you will love then this Jennifer haha! Absolutely no pain and no extractions and the facial massage is sublime! I Haven’t been going for facials in a long while actually. I actually do find that my skin behaves better after a good facial massage, even if it may not last a long time. This one’s a luxury splurge, so maybe save it for a special occasion, like a birthday or when you get your bonus and enjoy! ;)

Angelina August 15, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I love La Mer Spa Facial Treatment. The brightening effect after the facial is wow. The effect can last up to a week plus. It’s money well spent. On the downside, my skin doesn’t like their original version of moisturiser. Breakouts, and the $ spent on correcting treatment is far more expensive than the one I spent at La Mer. Pros and cons.

August 28, 2014 at 10:11 am

Good to know you enjoy this one too, Angelina! The glowing effect is absolutely wonderful, I agree! Like you, my skin doesn’t like the CDLM either. In fact, it can’t handle any of the moisturisers in any formulation! I can use most of the other products, but just not the creams. The ones at the facial don’t really break me out, thankfully! Do you break out after the facial though?

sasha August 16, 2014 at 12:13 am

Wow i’m so tempted! my skin does not do well with the typical extraction facials, as more pimples will come up after each session!
So i have stopped going to facials for 1 year now and my skin has improved.
But since this one is more skin stimulation, i am a bit inclined to try.

Thanks for the review Paris!
Now i wish it was at a more convenient area! Midvalley is the central jam area in my dictionary hehe

August 28, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hey Sasha, I must confess I sometimes like the extraction process because my skin looks so much cleaner thereafter but oh, the pain! :P This one’s nice thanks to the facial massage – not many places do such a long massage :) Like you, I don’t go to MidValley often too! But I’ve found that if you avoid the regular busy times e.g. between 12-2pm and 4-6pm it’s usually ok, and easier to get parking then too :)

Jotsdots August 20, 2014 at 3:09 am

If you have breakouts from La Mer products it means either:
1) You are one of the rare ones (there were 10% of people) who are highly allergic to seaweeds.
2) Skin cannot absorb/compatible with such high amount. Since it’s rich, you can only apply a small amount.

Although all types of skin can use their product but it’s most well known with older ladies as it’s ingredients are very rich.

August 28, 2014 at 11:29 am

Thing is, I’m probably in their age demographic now! haha! I think it’s just to do with composition of ingredients. I can use most of the other La Mer products, most of which work quite well for me, but just not the creams and moisturisers.

iza August 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

more or less the same experience i had with my monthly facial at Estee Lauder, (also in Metrojaya Midvalley). My therapist uses shiatsu massage during the facial, no extraction & steamer. My friends always compliment me for the radiant skin after the facial ..

but, i want to give it a try on la mer facial .. :)

September 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Ooh you know what? One of my earliest experiences at a proper facial salon was the Estee Lauder salon at MidValley! I didn’t realise they were still there haha! I can’t remember why I stopped going though but I remember it was quite nice. Thanks for reminding me of it.