Real Techniques Blush Brush : What’s in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

in Blush,Brushes etc.,Cheap and Good?,Makeup,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On July 14, 2014
Last modified:July 13, 2014

Summary:

Have you ever bought a makeup brush for one purpose only to find yourself using it for another instead? I don’t do it too often as most brushes I do buy do work as advertised for me. However, now and again, I come across one that doesn’t and then I have to find another use for it or let it rot.

real techniques blush brush Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

This was the problem I faced with the very popular Real Techniques Blush Brush. I bought this because blush is my crack and I naturally gravitate towards blush brushes as well. However, as you can probably tell, this brush is quite a whopper of a size. Like all other Real Techniques brushes, the bristles are synthetic and very very soft. The brush head is also very thick but it isn’t very dense, so you get some give as you brush it against your face dreamily, regaling in the cottony softness against your cheek.

But try as I might, I couldn’t use this to apply blush.

As you might be able to tell, the brush head is quite large. Ok, not “quite” large, but large. It’s slightly tapered, although you can’t quite tell from the photo, and it spreads out somewhat to a fluffy head.

real techniques blush brush size Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

Here’s an approximation of size of the brush head to my hand. It’s large and as large as my face is, and as chubby as my cheeks are, I found that this blush brush just applied too much product to my cheeks and didn’t define them as nicely as they should.

When I got this a while ago, and after experimenting with it, I just left it aside. I have read many reviews on the Blush Brush that make this comment, but everyone seems to be able to work with it one way or another. Unfortunately, I’m not everyone, so I couldn’t make it work for blush. I didn’t have to. I have lots of other blush brushes that do a better job.

So, what was I do to with this monster? I found the solution in using it as a powder brush instead! icon biggrin Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

real techniques blush brush2 Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

It says “blush brush” but it’s too big for my face!

The size of the brush head, being so large, and the thick, compact brush head that isn’t too dense applies loose or setting powder very nicely. Being dense, it picks up more product and applies more on skin than a fluffy face powder brush, but this still works for me.

But what I really like using it for these days, is for applying the Guerlain Meteorites Pearls. I was using the Trish McEvoy Bronzer Brush 37 before this, but when I put it to wash one day, I picked up this Real Techniques brush instead and I haven’t looked back since.

This brush picks up sufficient product, and the density and thickness of the brush head allows for more of the magical powder to be applied to skin, which means that the diffused glow is a little more noticeable. Also, the lovely softness of the brush head means that you can apply and buff product into your skin without it feeling scratchy or pokey. Guerlain sells brushes which they say are for Meteorites, but the quality of their brushes is abysmal. They’re scratchy and pokey and are nothing except cute, with their coloured bristles (I don’t find them cute, but most people do icon razz Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush )

The Meteorites are expensive products, but the brush you use them doesn’t have to be icon smile Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush So, if you haven’t yet found a good brush for applying Meteorites or loose powder, try the Real Techniques Blush Brush. After all, what is in a name, eh? icon biggrin Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

In a nutshell

The Real Techniques Blush Brush is a synthetic brush that is supposed to be used for applying blush or bronzer. The brush boasts a thick and relatively dense head, that tapers slightly. I find it too large to use to apply blush and I don’t use bronzer, so I use this brush instead for applying loose powder and it works especially well for applying the Guerlain Meteorites Light Reflecting Pearls. The bristles are super soft on skin and it dries quite quickly after washing. It isn’t expensive and works very well and the pink aluminium body will appeal to many. It’s a good brush. If you can use it for blush, good for you but if you find it too large, don’t fret, there are other uses for it too!

Brush Hair: Synthetic, Taklon

Pros: Affordable, Dries quickly, Multi-tasker brush can be used for blush, bronzer or powder, Works very well for applying Guerlain Meteorites for a more visible, diffused effect

Cons:  Too big for blush application

Who will like this: Anyone who prefers using synthetic brushes, Anyone who hasn’t found a brush to use for their Guerlain Meteorites powders

Real Techniques Blush Brush vs Lunasol Cheek Brush N

real techniques blush brush lunasol Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

The only reason I’m showing you both these brushes is for size comparison. I love the Lunasol Cheek Brush N and I use it almost daily. As a blush brush, the size is perfect for me as it isn’t too large and fits my cheeks. I then blend product out and the super soft squirrel hair blends product very nicely. I know I’ve said that it’s a brush I can’t live without but I have found another brush from Hakuhodo that works even more impressively, if I want a more sculpted cheek look. I’ll share that another time icon smile Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

As you can see, as the Lunasol Cheek Brush is the perfect size for me (for my preference) it is no wonder I find the Real Techniques Blush Brush too large. But as I’ve said above, it does perform a different function for me, and it works well so I’m not complaining icon biggrin Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

Do you own the Real Techniques Blush Brush? Do you use it for blush or do you too, find it too large?

It’s far too large for me, but I’m glad I found another use for it. I honestly am not sure how people use it for blush. Maybe it’s because I prefer a smaller brush head for applying blush, so I have more precise placement? Or maybe I’m just not very good at it LOL! icon biggrin Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush Apparently this works very well for applying bronzer too so give it a go, if you haven’t yet found a bronzer or loose powder or Meteorites brush icon biggrin Real Techniques Blush Brush : Whats in a name that I may use it for something else besides blush

Real Techniques Blush Brush Price: US$9 | RM78 (!!) Availability: Shins stores locally but the price mark up is incredible. Various other websites have them also at very inflated prices. Instead, buy it from iherb.com for just US$9 (Code MPW213 gets you $10 off purchases of $40 and up or $5 off otherwise, for first time buyers)

Peggy July 14, 2014 at 9:30 am

excellent time, I just tried my meteorites pearl today with MAC 150, think the brush get too much product without swirling. Will get this to use it with the pearls.

July 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Not familiar with the MAC 150, Peggy but if you have the new Meteorites (Light Reflecting Pearls) then they generally are dustier. So don’t swirl, and just tap your brush on the pearls so you pick up less product :)

Peggy July 24, 2014 at 4:01 pm

ah thanks. Yes, i just got into the meteorites bandwagon and now hooked on it. Was wondering why my brush pick up so much product with just tapping on the pearls. Guess i will continue using the MAC 150 for my meteorites

July 24, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Be careful, Meteorites is an addiction! hehe… :)

Peggy July 25, 2014 at 9:41 am

too late.. im hooked on Guerlain now… The only hiccup is the nearest Guerlain store is in KL so i have to fly to KL from Kuching to get it. Now I need to clear my huge collection of MAC to make way for Guerlain

July 30, 2014 at 11:29 am

Haha good idea – clearing MAC that is, not having to travel to KL :D There aren’t many sites that sell Guerlain online, which is a pity! It’s a great brand :D

Beauty Bee July 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

Ooo I have been thinking about getting this brush just because I love how soft it feels! It makes sense to use it as a powder brush – maybe even for powder bronzer? I use the RT Setting Brush for setting my concealer under my eyes and I love it, even though at first it looks a little big for the eye area! It’s super soft and the curved bristles get into all the nooks and cranies under my eyes and around my nose :)

July 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Yep! I’ve seen people use it for bronzer as well and it seems to work well to diffuse the product because it’s so big! It’s nice to know the Setting Brush has another use! I don’t think I have that one, but it’s always nice to find an alternate use for a brush right?

plue
July 14, 2014 at 10:49 am

i also have this and i use only the tip for blush application and the sides to blend them. works a treat though it’s mighty big.

i thought of using it with loose powder or with the pearls but haven’t done so because I haven’t wash it out of the blush I use! :P
plue recently blogged…Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

July 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I tried, Plue but I couldn’t just use the tip without getting blush all over my face haha! :D So I decided that since I have limited skills, I’ll just use a smaller brush – less mistakes that way ;)

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous
July 14, 2014 at 11:00 am

Hahaha me too! I can’t use this as a blush brush because I find it just too big to be used as one. I prefer to use this as a face brush and I use it on the Meteorites too! :D

July 24, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I’m really curious how those who do use it as a blush brush get it to work. I mean, don’t they find it huge too? Or is it just us? :P And great minds think alike! YAY!

LeGeeque July 14, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Oh boy. I experienced the very same thing as well because I need my brushes to be precise. I ended up using this for my Meteorites :-|

July 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

LOL Looks like more of us are using it for Meteorites than I thought! :D It’s great to find a cheap brush for such a luxurious product ;)

casey23 July 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I love RT brushes but I never use them as I supposed to :) I never care for its name but I use my “blush brush” for powders and use its “foundation brush” for cream blushes (yeah it works lovely!!!).

July 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Haha perfect! :D I like the Expert Foundation Brush for cream blush too! Perfect size for that and perfect application.

Sunny
July 14, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Hey Paris, I can definitely see why it’s way too big for a blush brush! It looks like it’s literally half the size of your cheeks! I’m glad to hear it works well for powder application though! It sure looks perfect for that purpose!
Sunny recently blogged…Guerlain Certainly Knows What the Ideal Man Smells Like!My Profile

July 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

LOL Yes! It’s a very lovely brush but just way way too big :D It actually is a bit dense to apply powder but so long as we aren’t overzealous, it works :)

Sam Still Reading
July 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Whoa, that’s a mega-brush! I tend to use a Estee Lauder freebie for powder, but this would be a god substitute provided I can find it a good price!
Sam Still Reading recently blogged…Mailbox Monday 14/7/14My Profile

July 24, 2014 at 3:47 pm

And iHerb gets you the best price out there! :D I’m serious (and they now have limited free international shipping if you’re keen)

Grace July 14, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Hi Paris,
I bought the exact brush. Let me tell you, I do have a big face. It’s too big for blush brush even I have a big face. I am using it for my hourglass powder at the moment. I am surprised as the creator Sam is a make up artist herself. Surely before she made this, she would notice it’s the wrong size? I am not complaining though, the price point is affordable:)
I hope you are setting well in your new house.

July 24, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Hiya Grace! With so many of us saying it’s too big for blush, I’m sure we can’t all be wrong right? And I know what you mean. I was surprised that Samantha would come up with such a gigantic brush for blush application which needs to be more precise than powder. Yet they don’t have another blush brush in their line up. Oh well, at least we can use it for something else :D I’ve just made the big move so am waiting for the weekend to unpack :)

kel July 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I use the ecotool bronzer brush for my face powder and the powder brush for my nars finishing powder..as it seems to work better that way..and I tot I was the only one out there using the supposedly brushes for something else..lol..glad im not the only one..

July 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Haha it looks like there’re more of us “rebels” than I expected, yay! :D That Ecotools Bronzer brush is huge isn’t it?! :P

gio July 15, 2014 at 2:03 am

Wow, that’s one huge blush brush! I’m glad you found another use for it. It certainly looks more suitable for powder application.

July 24, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Haha yep! I’m glad too because it was just collecting dust… in every true sense of the word!

robert c. July 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

Actually really like the real techniques range ( and ELF as well), I find they are one of the cheapest brands of soft brushes that I can find ( apart from EcoTools, havent tried it yet). I use the RT blush brush for bronzer, as I too find it too large for le cheeks. Moreover, in comparison with my hakuhodo j110 for powders, I find that the hakuhodo brush make loose powders or pressed powders -cough- ambient lighting powders -cough- look more ‘diffused’ on skin.

Conclusion: Personally, I think Im more of a makeup rebel. Haha, using brushes for totally different things. Sometimes even products! ( dark matte bronzers as eyeshadows, for a light wash of color. Ha!)

July 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I haven’t tried ELF but I will concur that RT brushes are among the best, affordable soft brushes out there. Ecotools are ok, but hit or miss to me. I haven’t used RT eye brushes though because I’m not into synthetic hair for eye brushes so I can’t comment on then :) As for cheeks, I too prefer natural hair brushes for the more diffused look. It’s not an illusion! I find synthetic brushes tend to apply colour more “bright” so it’s harder to control but that’s just me. Maybe I’m not good at it :D Makeup is supposed to be fun so there’s no harm being a rebel at all :D

Syaza July 15, 2014 at 11:50 am

Chubby cheeks like mine don’t have a problem thou *chuckles* wait until you try the powder brush, it’s wayyy larger than this one XD I like how you used it for other cause, that way it’s still useable either way :)
Syaza recently blogged…How Are You Keeping Track of Your Blog?My Profile

July 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm

LOL! I’m sure the powder brush must be humungous! I decided not to get it since I’m already using this as a powder brush :D And yes, I’m glad it’s got another use else it’d have gone to waste.

Ting July 15, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I tried that with meteorites today. It seemed to have picked up more product than ecotools blush brush. :o The way I use RT blush brush with a blush, is to bounce it (with the tip pointing at cheek) on the high point of the cheeks first to deposit most colour you want it, and blend out. :)

July 24, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Did you mean the Ecotools Bamboo Blush Brush? I used to use it for blush and liked it. Gosh, you could actually use the RT blush brush for blush? But your face is even smaller than mine! >.< Clearly my skills are non existent LOL :D

Ting July 24, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Yes, I meant the Ecotools Bamboo Blush brush. Bought it after reading your review actually :$. Erm, yes I didn’t find any problem with the RT blush brush FOR blush. Just need to have a light hand so the pointy end picks up product. I’ve never tried using it sideways, as one of your reader here suggested…

July 24, 2014 at 5:16 pm

LOL That was ages and ages ago! I still have it though I hardly use it anymore :P I’ll give the RT brush another go for blush and see if I can’t make it work. I guess you use it at a 90 degree angle to the face then? With pointy side against the skin?

Ting July 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm

And I started following your blog ages and ages ago! :p

Yes, I used the pointy side against skin. Start at the place you want the most colour, bounce it on once or twice and blend out (with the pointy side as well) either in circular motion or up and down, depends on you. Try and see if it works for you this way? :)

wan July 15, 2014 at 2:06 pm

No worry, Luxola do carry RT brushes, no more RM78, about RM43 for this brush.
I have the RT multi task brush, i use it for blush and sometimes to lightly powder my face.
Recently I purchased Zoeva Brush for applying foundation, i prefer Zoeva to RT expert face brush. The size almost the same, but Zoeva softer and less denser compared to Sigma F80.Foundation applications becomes easier everyday especially with my revlon colorstay.

July 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for the update Wan. I did notice it but most of the RT brushes on Luxola are out of stock (and I had a poor experience dealing with them so I don’t feel confident promoting them) so I’m sticking to iHerb for now :D I didn’t know that RT had a multitask brush. I recently acquired some Zoeva brushes too but will have to wash them out before I try them :)

tania July 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Me too! I bought it online and was shock when I opened the package.. But I am everyone and I do use it as blush brush /lol

Would live to try it to my meteorites thought :)

July 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Give it a go with Meteorites and let me know how you like it :) It’s great that you managed to get it to work as a blush brush!

Jyoan July 15, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Yes yes! Hakuhodo cheek brush!!!!!!!! I prefer my Hakuhodo over Lunasol too!

Truth be told, while I was raving about this RT blush brush, I have since stopped using it, and I realise that I CAN live without RT blush brush.

I am now on Sigma “egg” brush, that is supposed to be a dupe for M.A.C 168 “egg” brush. If anyone else is reading my comment, I would say, the Sigma “egg” brush is good. But M.A.C #168 is softer and a clear winner over Sigma.

I still love the RT blush brush for poorly pigmented blushers. But I have gazillion blush brushes that I need to keep moving on to the next brush!
Jyoan recently blogged…M.A.C Lipstick Collection from Permanent Line – NudesMy Profile

July 24, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Haha I can’t remember the number on my Hakuhodo brush but it’s a dense head and it applies everything like a dream, especially lighter blushes. Lunasol is nice for brighter blushes that need a lighter more diffused look :) I haven’t tried the Sigma brush but the idea of an “egg” brush is so cute haha!

Anne July 16, 2014 at 12:02 am

i have the same brush, and I use it only for cream blusher ( like ysl baby doll kiss & blush) as I find the size of the brush head to be too large for powder brush! Haha. It works well with the ysl products, but like what you said, I might just try this for meteorites! Good tips ;)

July 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Hmm that’s interesting. I never thought to use it for cream blush. Do you mean those blushes that you apply to your cheeks then blend out? I’ll have to give it a go! :D Let me know how you like it for Meteorites (but wash the brush out first haha! ;) )

Rozae July 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I really like this post Paris because I have the exact brush & use it for the exact purpose, lose powder. It applies like a dream!

July 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Rozae and great minds do think alike! ;) It’s a great size for powder I think, but for blush, it’s humungous LOL

Arpita July 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Ooo I wouldn’t have thought to use it for meteorites! Good call! I have 2 in my possession and while I quite like it to diffuse pigmented blushes evenly, finishing powders would do well with it as well. Hourglass’ ambient lighting palette is finally in my possession and I’ve been contemplating the mode of application.

July 24, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I shall have to try it with blush again. Everyone seems to be able to get it to work, gigantic as it is! Ooh and you got the Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette! Have been tempted by those powders countless times but still resisting because friends tell me to stick to my Meteorites, but like every beauty buff, it’s an itch that needs scatching, y’know… :P

Victoria July 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Actually, I was planning to get the Hakuhodo J104 for my Meteorites but this brush is a good idea too since its way cheaper. I love my Lunasol Cheek brush but have recently acquired the Hakhodo J505 (I think) which gives such lovely placement of blush as well. So I now use both the Lunasol and Hakuhodo interchangeably for a more diffused look :-)

July 24, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Haha I don’t think I have the Hakuhodo J104 but yeah, this RT brush works just as fine for Meteorites. Can save and get a nice brush for something else ;) I don’t have the J505 either (at least I don’t think so LOL I’m so bad with numbers and these brushes don’t help) and I can’t remember which I have because there’s no number on it. Tsk! But like you, I use Hakuhodo for precise placement and Lunasol for diffused look and both work beautifully!

Rae // theNotice
July 17, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Man, this thing is HUGE! But I can totally see it working as a powder blush — I think that’s what my sister (who happens to be a die-hard RT fan) uses hers for, too.
Rae // theNotice recently blogged…We-Vibe 4 and Tango reviews, photos | Bedroom Essentials (and not-so-essentials)My Profile

July 24, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Yay for your sister finding an alternate use for this monster of a brush! :D