The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

in Bags,Musings

I haven’t talked bags in a while here at MWS. My last bag lust was over 6 months ago! Gosh! It’s not to say I haven’t been lusting – I have and I still am, I just never got round to talking about them icon wink The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust! For those who may not know, my true penchant is for bags. Makeup comes a distinct 3rd after skincare icon biggrin The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust! And for many of us “bag ladies” the ultimate of bags would usually be the Hermes Birkin or Kelly. Well, whose isn’t eh? icon wink The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

However, I recently came across one of Hermes’ less popular bags and like it is when stars align, I found myself falling head over heels in lust with it.

hermes garden party The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

The bag in question is the Hermes Garden Party bag which comes in 2 sizes – small and medium. The design is fairly unobtrusive and simple and some might even argue, too simple. But it appeals to me in a way I never expected it to.

The Garden Party bag comes in a full leather option as I have pictured here and also in a canvas option with leather trim. I don’t particularly go for canvas bodies for bags, so my pick would have to be the full leather version.

Hermes says their Garden Party bags are made of negonda leather, which is a soft and supple leather that is also durable and more water resistant with a matte finish. I thought it made sense because the Garden Party bag isn’t one you’d baby, as you would a more structured Birkin or Kelly. It has a more casual, relaxed vibe to it.

I could and would take it to work, paired with a business-like white shirt and pencil skirt with heels, because it looks structured enough; but I would also take the same bag when I travel or when I’m out on a weekend, paired with flats, jeans and a polo tee or shirt, and it wouldn’t look out of place!

hermes garden party2 The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

The interior is lined with canvas instead of leather, which is quite natural since the price isn’t as swoon-worthy as many other bags from this uber luxury brand, coming in at about US$3,400 for the medium leather version. I just like how it looks like a workhorse, but an elegant one.

Whilst it looks plain, I’ve seen pictures where people dress it up with a scarf or a bag charm to add some visual interest. Also, the leather versions come in beautiful colours including a beautiful bright blue and the signature Hermes orange, which appeals to me because I love colourful bags. But as much as I’d love an orange Garden Party, I think if I were to end up getting one, I’d go for one in Gold or Etoupe. Gold isn’t gold at all, and looks more like a tan while etoupe is a workable cool grey-taupe. Just to get a little more mileage out of it icon smile The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

Granted, there are similar looking options out there from more affordable brands. The Prada Saffiano Luxe Tote has a similar design and vibe, as do many more affordable brands, if you look in Michael Kors, Coach or Kate Spade.

For me however, I have my eye set on a leather Garden Party. It looks like something I’d get a lot of use out of, it suits my style and it isn’t obtrusive nor immediately noticeable. I like that in bags icon smile The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

Dare I ask if anyone out there has this and can venture some tips or advice on it? icon biggrin The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

I’ve certainly got my eye on it and I would probably stroll in and have a look in store. I know local prices will be mad so there’s no fear of my credit card being whipped out at all, although I can’t say for certain I’d feel the same way if I was in Europe LOL! After all, a girl can dream eh? icon smile The Hermes Garden Party Bag fires up the bag lust!

LeGeeque June 15, 2014 at 8:46 am

Glad you picked this. I dismissed this years ago but it’s starting to grow on me. Like you, I’d pick the Gold as well. I love how you can definitely dress it up or down. Next on the list maybe? ?

July 3, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Definitely on my list, alongside the Picotin which I have to take a look at as well ;) We’ll see, we’ll see …

Carole June 15, 2014 at 10:50 am

I love it! Perfect size, not too in-your-face!

July 3, 2014 at 4:31 pm

That’s how I feel abou tit too Carole! Glad we’re on the same page :D

Hani Lutfi June 15, 2014 at 11:56 am

I have to say I’m not a big fan of Hermes bag. I’m more of a Michael Kors, Rebecca Minkoff, Tory Burch, Celine, Prada, Louis Vuitton kind of a girl. Yes, I did in fact list down all my favourite designer handbag brands. Of course, being normal and 18, not an anak datuk or anak tan sri or anything, designer bags are soooo out of my league, especially since I’ve just entered my first semester of college. I don’t see myself carrying anything designer for the next 8 years, I’m not pushing myself onto getting a designer bag but I do like to indulge in designer/high end shoes (but not Loubotins of course oh gosh!!!). It’s a guilty pleasure of mine especially since they are much cheaper than bags. Let’s just say, Steve Madden is my man and Nike has put the sneakers trend on a whole new level!
Hani Lutfi recently blogged…LIFE LATELY : DECORATING MY DORM ROOM & MOREMy Profile

July 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm

As with all fashion, it won’t appeal to everyone :) And there’s no shame in knowing what you like – it gives you something to aspire and work towards so the day you acquire your first designer bag, at least you’ll know what you want, and you’ll know that you earned it yourself :)

lisa June 15, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Good choice. I like the subtle and classic design. I’m not usually for solid black bags but this black one looks good too.

July 3, 2014 at 4:41 pm

It does! But I’m not one for black bags so will definitely keep an eye out for the lighter colours. The red one is very nice too :)

Josephine June 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Oh i’ve seen this, but i love the herbag more! I would actually love to hear your opinion on the herbag, i bought it (the older version thats interchangeable) and i LOVE it!

July 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Ooh I saw some pics of the Herbag but I’m not really into canvas bodies so I didn’t consider it. Very happy that you’re loving yours though. A good bag deserves a lot of love :D

Shay June 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Good choice!

I like bags too. But these days I’m determined to let my shoulders have a break.

July 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Oh I’ve moved on so far from large bags now too! These days, if a bag is heavy even while empty, I pass. There’s no way I want to torture myself anymore. These old bones can’t handle it! LOL

neegee June 16, 2014 at 12:57 am

I’ve been seeing this bag appearing everywhere on instagram. Initially, I dismissed it as an aunty bag but it’s starting to grow on me! For me though, I prefer the canvas or the black one. :)

July 3, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Ooh it must be the bag of the season LOL! I haven’t seen it myself but it’s nice to have one of the more understated ones right? A few years ago I might have dismissed it as being aunty too but then I think I’ve grown into the auntiness hehe

Natasha June 18, 2014 at 12:27 am

My dream bag is the Hermes Kelly bag.

July 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm