Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

in Discussions,Food & Lifestyle,Health,Tips

When I was a kid, I remember being force-fed a foul smelling white emulsion that I came to fear and run away from the minute I see the bottle appear. Hands up if you too were averse to Scott’s Cod Liver Oil Emulsion icon razz Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too The minute I could assert my rights, I refused to take any more of it and that was that.

However, I was recently nursing a very bad cough that was dragging on for weeks and I suddenly remembered my Mom telling me that taking cod liver oil would help. Well, I wasn’t about to down that foul emulsion anymore so I got a bottle of cod liver oil capsules from the brand Seven Seas.

cod liver oil Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

I was told that I could take a slightly higher dose to start, and the recommended dose was 1-2 capsules 3 times a day. So I would take about 8 capsules a day. My cough did go away eventually (a combination of antibiotics, cough mixture) but I continued taking the cod liver oil capsules since I already had a bottle of it, and to build up my immunity.

About a month and after taking 100 capsules, I woke up one day to a realization that not only was my cough almost gone, my skin was looking and feeling better than it has been in a while, despite the fact I’d been sick as a dog and under tremendous life stress. I had some marks from some stubborn cystic acne spots around my chin and mouth and my skin was feeling a bit clogged and bumpy and just blah.

But I hadn’t been experiencing that lately. Instead, I noticed that my skin was looking a lot better. It felt significantly smoother, pores looked smaller, skin looked more refined and glowy and most of the pesky spots and clogged pores were all but gone. Blemishes and marks healed and disappeared quickly and scarring and marking of skin was minimal. That was when I wondered “Could it be that the cod liver oil was helping my skin look better?”

I’d always known about the health benefits of taking fish oil as a dietary supplement. I have also been told that taking fish oil, which is high in Omega 3 and 6 also helps strengthen skin and make it look better from within. However, I had been taking fish oil for a while previously without noticing significant improvements to my skin. It was all a bit of a same old, same old.

However, with just taking cod liver oil, I’m actually seeing and noticing a difference. Enough for me to mention it anyway icon smile Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

Cod liver oil is, as the name implies, an oil extracted from the liver of the Atlantic cod fish and is rich in fatty acids of Omega 3 as well as high in Vitamin A and D. I’m thinking that it might be a combination of the Omega 3 and Vitamin A that had me noticing the benefits to my skin. However, I’m not expert so it’s just my thoughts on this.

Some of the benefits of cod liver oil are:-

• Vitamin A – helps build immunity and reduce susceptibility to infections
  • Vitamin D – keeps you healthy and you don’t have to depend on sunlight to derive this vitamin
  • Omega 3 fatty acid – oils the ol’ brain cells, keeps joints healthy and is generally good for body and heart

cod liver oil capsule Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

While doing some quick research online, I also noticed that cod liver oil is prescribed for people who have very dry skin or psoriasis. Thinking back, as I have slightly dry skin on my face, I did realise that I didn’t seem to have the tightness or enlarged pores that I’d been noticing before this. Everything just looks like it’s tightened up a smidge, and coupled with the refined texture of my skin, I’m kind of sold on the idea that it is the cod liver oil that’s working wonders.

I did replenish my cod liver oil supply with a larger bottle of it. I’m taking the one from Seven Seas for now, but I’ll do a bit more research and see if there are other brands or options out there. It isn’t very expensive at all. I recently bought 600 capsules (250mg) for about RM60 and I’ve seen the same quantity sold for less during sales and promotions at most pharmacies. I take 4 capsules a day now at the end of the day just before bed, and for now, it’s a routine I can stick to, so I’m happy about it. I plan to look for capsules that are higher in dosage too just to make it easier to take.

Isn’t it great when a supplement that helps your health has a direct relation to the improvement of your skin? icon biggrin Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

Do you take cod liver oil regularly and do you notice the benefits for your skin?

If you’re afraid of burping up fishy oils, I’d suggest that you take this in the evenings as well. I notice a slight fishy smell if I take it in the morning, but it goes away quite quickly. I’m really quite happy with this discovery and plan to stick with it for the long term. If nothing else, at least I get some health benefits from it too icon smile Tip: Taking Cod Liver Oil for health helped improve my skin too

Disclaimer: I am not a trained health practitioner and this is based on my experience taking the supplement which I bought myself. If you have health concerns, please consult your doctor or a medical practitioner before taking this. Benefits may vary from person to person.

Ting June 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Good morning! I didn’t know before that cod liver oil helps with skin. :) I took it for awhile in an attempt to “improve” my memory. Have been very forgetful these days. Anyway, I wasn’t consistent with it, and I only took 1 capsule per day. So i thought it isn’t helping and I stopped. Maybe I will have to start again!

On a different oil, for about a month I have been taking a natural herbal oil (with sesame, flax seed, coconut etc) in a capsule. After about 2 weeks of 2 capsules per night, I suddenly noticed my skin became very smooth and plump. It’s a hit over here now. Have you heard of it before?

June 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hey Ting, I didn’t know either about it helping skin but it seems to help mine. I only noticed because I don’t take any other supplements (I know I should, but I’m just bad at it :P ) If it helps with memory, all the better! Perhaps that’s why I’m less of a scatterbrain than usual? Hmm… :P I haven’t come across the herbal oil that you mention but wow, it sounds like good stuff! Anything that helps the skin sounds like good stuff LOL

irene June 3, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hi, interesting writeup!
I’ve been taking cod liver oil from GSK and i definitely feel stronger (i.e not prone to taking MCs) – but after finishing this stash, am gonna switch to the emulsion/ other brands because it contains parabens… although there are alot of writeups on parabens and how it is insignificant in relation to our usage, still feel adverse about taking this cummulatively (and over the years). I’m also quite adverse about how GSK is not very transparent on their website about the ingredients and whether there are parabens in their other cod liver oil related products like emulsion – not too sure if this is standard practice to disclose if there is such an ingredient (even in other producers of cod liver oil!) Do share if you uncover anything interesting!

June 7, 2014 at 9:56 am

Am not familiar with GSK’s cod liver oil but it’s good to know it’s helped boost your immunity. I could definitely do with that. I know for a fact I could never stomach an emulsion so I’ll be sticking to capsules!

AnT June 3, 2014 at 9:53 am

Wow! This is a very interesting post indeed dear Paris B!! :D I used to consume the Scott’s Emulsion Original Cod Liver Oil but stopped when I started my first job LOL!! I guess I have to try this! :D Thanks Paris B ! :D

June 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hiya AnT! :) Gosh, you were taking Scotts Emulsion till you were working?! Hats off to you! That said, I know of someone who used to take it every day of his relatively long life. Can’t be all that bad eh? ;) Hope you’ve been keeping well!

AnT June 10, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Hiya Paris B dearie!! Hahaha! Yes! I love the original even more though :P Been keeping well but need to control carb intake! :D Can see you looked more radiant than before! Tee~hee!! :D

Isabel June 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’ve tried consuming fish oil in the past after having been taken by all the health benefit claims but the smell (even though I took the capsules) was too much for me. Recently, I scored a free bottle of 90 capsules of flaxseed oil which is touted to be rich in Omega 3 as well. It’s been about 2 months of consumption and while I personally didn’t notice any clear changes in my skin or body, I had someone tell me last week that they’ve noticed an improvement in my skin. Strangely enough, that person specifically mentioned that my pores seem to have “disappeared”.

Flaxseed oil also had a “fishy” smell but tolerable and dissipates quickly enough compared to my previous experience with fish oil. So in all likelihood, I will continue with its consumption.

June 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Haha I know what you mean about fish oil and the smell. Ditto garlic pills eh? :P The fish oil I used to take didn’t have a smell but I didn’t notice a lot of change to my skin although it might have helped with the health side of things. I have heard a lot of good things about flaxseed oil and I know of people who drink the oil directly too. It’s good to know it’s working so well for you :D

Jacqueline Ma June 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

I was one of those who hid and shook with fear the moment I realised my mom was going to feed me cod liver oil. I can still remember to aweful taste. I wonder how many generations of children scarred for life. I remember inflicting the same kind of torture on my boy when he was little. Poor thing! I do hope they make better tasting ones nowadays.
I haven’t taken cold liver oil capsules either. I have a habit of buying a bottle of whatever vitamins etc… promising myself I would take it faithfully and within 1 week that bottle will be left forgotten. My Vitamin C bottle still mocks me everytime I open the firdge door. I might just opo these for the sake of vanity. I’m super vain! :)
Jacqueline Ma recently blogged…Project Swap: Kiko Fierce Spirit Summer Collection 2013 Sun Bronzing Blush 100 Marine CoralMy Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:00 am

Oh Jacqueline, I’d have been hiding alongside you! Yuck! My little nephew now gets a spoonful a day so yep, it’s still going on although he doesn’t seem to mind LOL :D I’m exactly like you too when it comes to vitamins and supplements. I’m all gung ho to start with and then I forget or get lazy and skip a day and next thing you know, I’ve stopped taking it for months :P This time, I didn’t have a choice as I was determined to get rid of the remnants of my nagging cough so I was much more diligent. It’s gone now, but the nightly routine seems to help! Maybe you could try that? Take it with a glass of water just before bed :)

Kendra lee June 3, 2014 at 11:32 am

I am only taking 1 capsule a day lol…now will up my intake to 4 and the tip to take it before bedtime is just great! ????

June 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

LOL it will depend on how potent your pills are Kendra! I only took 4 because its just 250mg and the instructions were to take 1-2 after every meal so I just take them all at one go. But better check with your instructions to be sure :D

xin
June 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

Ooh interesting. I am still taking the fish oil but I don’t see/feel any significant difference. tsk. maybe i need to try this! i used to take the scott’s but i preferred the orange flavour compared to the original.
xin recently blogged…My Brush Frenzy – of Hakuhodo and Lam Sam Yick BrushesMy Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

I stopped taking the regular fish oil because I didn’t really see a difference either. But I really noticed a difference after taking cod liver oil so maybe it’ll jump start your system too :D My mom must have been a sadist – she never bought us the orange one :P

Parita June 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

I recently started taking fish oil tablets daily..i take 2 1000mg each and I totally agree it helps with skin and hair! though its not cod liver oil tablets..even fish oil tablets for a vegetarian like me makes a huge difference..I grabbed quite a few of blacksmores ones when was coming back from KL :)
Parita recently blogged…Benefit Rockateur Blush Review, Swatches and FOTDMy Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

That’s absolutely right Parita! I guess there is a lot of truth to how supplements help our health and skin :) I didn’t notice a lot of changes with fish oil, but perhaps it’s one of those things. Glad it’s working for you!

Anthea June 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I used to take the Seven Seas cod liver oil, in liquid form, where you pour it into a spoon (oh I’m used to the fishiness HAHA). But lately I couldn’t find any shops selling them any more, except those in capsules. :(

I guess it’s more profitable, but for us consumers, it’s value for money :P There’s also the fact that it isn’t easy to swallow pure fish oil down your throat xD

June 7, 2014 at 10:07 am

Liquid! You brave soul :P I think they probably stopped selling it because most of us can’t tolerate that fishiness hehe… Does it comes in a higher dose in liquid form? I usually find it easier to pop a pill than to drink liquids of any sort.

Applegal June 3, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I heard it’s good for hair! Am taking evening primrose oil now, used to take fish oil and did notice a difference in skin but wasn’t consistent enough :P

June 7, 2014 at 10:08 am

Ooh is it good for hair? I didn’t notice improvement to my hair but then I have strange hair with a mind of its own LOL! I used to take evening primrose oil for a while to help with the menstrual pains, but it’s been a long time since I took it. I’m generally good with taking 1 supplement but once I add into the mix, I get lazy LOL

Seraph June 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Oh i must be an odd child… i loved scott’s emulsion (white one) when i was a kid… i made sure the tablespoon was full before it enters my mouth… but i hated (well maybe just dislike) the orange flavoured one… and when i was older, i graduated to gel capsule fish oil but i didnt like the fact that i would burp fishy smell hours later… so i stopped taking… after reading this, maybe i should contemplate on getting scott’s emulsion again! :D

June 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

Haha yes, you’re odd Seraph ;) But there are others who liked it too so maybe not that odd ;) Burping up the fishy smell can be quite daunting which is why I take it at night. Less chances of burping before bed :D

Houdini June 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I may be another weird one but I LOVED the orange Scott’s emulsion as a kid. Was limited to only 1 tablespoon a day though. Hehehe :p the white one is absolutely disgusting though!

June 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

Haha I never tried the orange one, only the white. Must have been why I hated it so much!

Angelina June 3, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Beauty is inside out.

June 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

Absolutely, that’s where it starts!

Arpita June 4, 2014 at 12:30 am

I like that you had to put a caveat in there that you’re not a medical professional lol! This sounds intriguing. I might have to give this a shot now!

June 7, 2014 at 10:11 am

Haha I had to – didn’t want people coming after me complaining it didn’t work or that they started growing a new head :P On the upside, this is a heck lot cheaper than a lot of face creams! ;)

liyeun June 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

I LOVE Scott Emulsion (original) alot that I dont wanna down the tablets instead! Hehehe…. oh yes, fish oil, cod liver oil and evening primrose oil do help with the skin, and it is good you found the right cod liver oil for you. Fish oil, on the other hand, is slightly tricky. Have to check the amount of dha, epa, cos apparently if you get 1000g ones, it doesnt mean you get a higher dosage of epa and dha. I tried few brands, and they leave my skin oilier, can u imagine? Lol.
liyeun recently blogged…All Aboard! Let’s Go Cruisin’ Together with Dior Addict in Cruise (611)!My Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

Haha you and Seraph would be good friends :P Ran away screaming from the sight of the white emulsion as a kid, I was so thankful capsules exist LOL! Yeah, maybe I didn’t pay enough attention to the content of the fish oil I was taking. And they actually made your skin oilier? Gosh that’s interesting! Would cutting back on the dosage help?

jk June 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

I think my mum indoctrinated it into me – cod liver oil is good for you. I started with the (original) white scott’s emulsion. It had a funny taste but I could live with it. Then came “Haliborange” – a pleasant break for me but my mum believed in the original good ol’ white – so it was back to white not long after. Stopped taking it during my teenage years but as an adult and taking care of my health became more important, I got back into cod liver oil. Although the taste of ol’ white was fine but burping it later (like garlic capsules) was pretty gross. So I now stick to the orange flavour. That together with fish/salmon oil. I cannot say for sure if it works on improving the complexion, but I will say that it’s certainly helped to keep me pretty bug free. Touch wood, I’ve not had a sick day for years.
Now to get my kids into taking this more regularly.

June 7, 2014 at 10:15 am

Now that you mention it, I liked Haliborange but we went back to the white one. I think my Mom believed that if it wasn’t smelly (or bitter in the case of Chinese medicine) it isn’t doing any good :P It’s great to know the fish oils are keeping you healthy! I can say that it certainly helped clear away the last bits of the cough, and I hope with more regular intake, I will remain bug free too. The last bout of falling sick really did me in. Truly, it gets worse the older you get :P

Victoria June 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I used to hate Scott’s Emulsion (white one) as a child to the extend that I cannot stand the taste and smell of almond milk because it reminds me so much of the emulsion. LOL. I did move on to Haliborange as mentioned by jk and I liked it better because of the orange taste. I have been taking fish oil supplements since late last year as it was highly recommended by Caroline Hirons. A few people have complimented me on my skin but I think my better complexion could be due to a combination of fish oil and the face cloth method.

As liyeun has pointed out, from my research and also from speaking to SA for supplements, fish oil supplements would only be effective if you consume a daily dosage of EPA & DPA of 600 mg, it is triglycerides and molecular distilled (meaning its free from toxins). The molecular distilled can be disregarded if you take salmon oil as the salmon fish lives in a cleaner pond. So, I consume two capsules containing 1000 mg of marine triglycerides each day in order to reach 600 mg of EPA & DPA :-)

June 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

I hate almond milk too! But I never associated the taste with Scotts. LOL I was taking fish oil for the better part of a year before this but I never noticed anything noteworthy. Skin was just as bad :P But things have definitely taken a turn for the better in recent times so it’s either I’m doing something right, or this cod liver oil is a heck lot more potent that regular fish oil! ;) I think I didn’t do enough research before on the contents of the fish oil. Didn’t realise it’s so complex! LOL!

Lana Ray June 4, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’ve never taken any health supplements but I’m going to suggest this to my parents :) Thanks for the tip Paris.
Lana Ray recently blogged…Empties #1 – A post I thought I’d never do!My Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

I’m usually lazy about supplements but since I noticed how much better my skin has been looking recently, I don’t plan to stop! :D It’s good for health anyway as other readers can attest so it’ll be good for your parents too :)

Beauty Box June 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

That’s an interesting find. I swear by fish oil to keep acne at bay but I never thought to think it “refines” my complexion. Perhaps I should also start taking cod liver oil to see if it makes a difference!

June 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

It’s funny you know, when I was taking fish oil regularly for over a year, I noticed nothing. My skin was doing its usual breaking out and acting up. But now, I absolutely notice a difference, so I don’t know if its just cod liver oil or maybe just that my skin is behaving better? Still, it isn’t a bad thing so there’s no harm trying to take it :)

shasha June 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Oohh goodness, the white Scotts Emulsion! Haven’t had one of those since I was a kid! I loved the orange flavoured one though, I would sneakily go into the kitchen and help myself to a tablespoon or two when the mum wasn’t looking, LOL!
I have never taken Cod Liver Oil as a supplement before, though I do find myself consuming evening primrose oil which has made my skin feel a lot better. I think it was about two months into consuming it that my skin felt so much smoother, and I didn’t have random acne popping up.
I should probably look into cod liver oil, or get the evening primrose that has the fish oil one in it. Ugh the smell though. Thanks for sharing Paris!
shasha recently blogged…Its Official, Bourjois Is In Malaysia! (Prices & Products)My Profile

June 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

How interesting that everyone had the orange version except me! LOL I think my Mom probably believed that if it didn’t smell bad, it wasn’t good for you :D I used to take EPO for years mostly to get rid of menstrual cramps, which it does work well for, but I didn’t notice benefits to my skin. It’s great to know that it works for you though! Anything that helps our skin is absolutely worth it :)

Holly June 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

high five to all the people out there who hate Scott’s cod liver oil (white emulsion)! i also ran away from that whenever my mum tried to feed me… though we did not have a happy childhood memory in the past, the Scott’s capsules are now one of my good friends! it does improve my skin and hair, I have told a lot of people about this “side effect” but none of them believe it…

June 15, 2014 at 10:42 am

Next time people doubt you Holly, you have me to back you up! Maybe not with Scotts (I haven’t seen the capsules here but I wasn’t looking too hard) but with the side effects of better skin :D

Poz July 8, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hey there, yups there are alot to research on regarding fish oils. Some school of thoughts said those distilled from smaller fishers are better due to less accumulation of toxin whereas larger fishes such as cod and salmon tend to live longer and accumulate toxins. Make sure get wild salmon though. Not farmed. Some says the bigger fishes are better. Can be quite confusing ????n some prefer cod fish because it has higher levels of vit a and d than salmon oil. But cod liver oil has lesser epa n dha. N some prefer salmon oil to fish oil due to claims of salmon oil having more omega 3 proportion. Havent gone deep into it so not so sure about this. I guess end of the day as long as you get the target epa n dha u shld be fine? ????