Being a voyeur, I love seeing what people fit into their handbags. This is especially true of smaller bags. Not being one for a small bag myself, I am always curious to know how people manage to carry their daily essentials in a tiny little bag. Me? I used to lug around gigantic sacks, filled to the brim with everything, including the kitchen sink.
Recently, thanks to a poorly back and shoulders, I’ve cut back. So over the weekend, as I finally got round to switching things out of my regular daily handbag to another one, it struck me that I’d never done a “What’s in my bag?” post.
So basically, I go around perving at what other people stuff in their bags but haven’t shared what I put in mine. Well, let’s remedy that shall we?
The bag du jour for the past 6 months (gasp! Not getting my cost per wear for the rest I own!) is a black leather Gucci Vintage Web Boston Bag which I lusted over last year. It’s just plain black leather with subtle Gucci Guccisima embossed strips down the middle of the bag and on the detachable strap. Part of the reason I’d been loathe to switch out of the one, is just how practical this bag is.
It’s subtle (doesn’t scream the brand at anyone unless you really peer at it), the colour goes with everything, the shape goes from day to night and importantly, it fits a ton of stuff. Granted it then weighs me down, but when I need to carry a ton of stuff with me, this does the job while looking unruffled or bulky.
The other thing I have to mention is just how durable and wonderful the leather is. It’s soft yes, but importantly durable. I’ve been bashing this around for half a year, not babying it, placing it anywhere and everywhere, getting it caught on doorknobs and everywhere, and it still looks amazing! The leather hasn’t scratched, nor has the metal hardware tarnished nor scratched. I love it and it is for this reason I find myself taking a second and third look at what Gucci has to offer. As a brand, it’s isn’t as popular – AND I LIKE THAT!
So, what have I been lugging around then? I decided to tip out all the contents of my bag for posterity so you get the raw, unedited version of what’s in my bag
- Makeup pouch – ‘makeup’ in my case means lipsticks. All 8 of them housed in a largish RMK 15th Anniversary commemorative pouch. This alone weighs a ton!
- Long wallet – LV Insolite Damier Ebene. Fits a ton, and looks slim and elegant while being a workhorse.
- A phone charger – I could carry a powerbank, but I’m hardcore like this LOL! Bought a plug head that can fit a USB cable, and received a USB charging cable for Christmas from a dear dear friend, which turned out to be the best present ever!
- Receipts – The inside of my bag is a mess of receipts and bits of paper. Please tell me I’m not alone!
- Phone – Self-explanatory and housed in a bright red case so I can spot it inside the bag. If you’re wondering, it’s a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
- Sunglasses – Lasik-ed eyes are sensitive to sunlight and it’s good practice to wear sunnies. Minimizes sun and UV damage to the sensitive eyes, and prevents you from squinting in the sun and getting crow’s feet!
- Cheque book and red packet – Have had to write a lot of cheques recently. Boohoo! Money flowing out faster than water! The red packet was one I’d neglected to remove since the Chinese New Year. I usually carry one around for luck during the festive season.
- Pens – 2 of them because I’m kiasu that way!
- Panty liner – What? Does no one carry one for emergencies?!
- Earrings – I surprised myself here as much as you are. So, that’s where they went!
- A stray 10 sen coin – I told you this was raw and unedited!
- Pouch with keys – Different keys for different purposes get their own pouches. This is one of them and I forgot to include another key pouch for even more keys.
- 2 card holders – One for the blog, one for work. I like keeping my life separate. In case you’re wondering, the colourful pouch is the work one and the black is for the blog, because I’m contrary that way.
- A stray lipbalm – It escaped from the makeup pouch somehow! It’s the Fresh Rose lip balm and it’s surprisingly nice so it’s one of the few lip balms I’d voluntarily wear.
- A stray lipstick – I don’t know how this one escaped from the pouch either but it’s Guerlain Rouge G Madame Batifole which explains why my bag weighs a ton. I have 3 Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks in there
On a day when I have to attend events, I fit my DSLR in there alongside house keys and car keys. Yes, the full size DSLR fits quite easily although it does weigh the bag down. Oh but this particular bag doesn’t suffer from a case of “saggy butt syndrome” which is another reason I like it!
Did you expect me to carry more stuff or less stuff?
I notice a lot of people have mints or tissue paper or notebooks or tablets or headphones while I have erm… crumpled receipts, a phone charger and pantyliners. Go psycho-analyse that eh?
So, what’s in YOUR bag daily? Do you like toting a large bag or a small, organized one?
And no, I never got the hang of using a bag organizer so it’s out of the question. I now go for medium sized bags. Large and oversized bags are now a thing of the past, as I try to cull the amount of junk I carry daily. It’s better for the back too!