Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

in Bath & Body,Discussions,Musings

This sounds very “first world problems” but here in the Klang Valley, due to the super dry and hot weather we’ve been having and some water problems, some areas have had to endure water rationing until the rains arrive. I just received a notice that my area would be hit this week, which naturally had me in quite a tizz.

water choose Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

I’m not prepared for these things!! icon razz Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

We won’t be having running water for 2 days so that means I have to collect enough water to survive 2 or even 3 whole days. 3 days! How many pails do I need again? I don’t have enough icon razz Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face? Thankfully, for the most part, I’m at work for most of the day so I’ll manage.

However, my biggest concerns are after I get home, and my personal hygiene. I’ve been used to grabbing a hot shower before bed and washing my hair, and importantly, cleansing my face. So as I collected my water, I had a thought.

If you could only collect enough water for EITHER a good shower OR to properly wash your face, which would you pick? Thought provoking yes? Go on, choose one icon biggrin Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

Find it hard to choose?

Yeah, me too! icon razz Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

But if I was absolutely forced to, I’d pick saving enough water to properly wash my face.

Ok so technically, I don’t use THAT much water to wash my face but I do want it properly cleaned after the ravages of the day especially as I’ve got makeup on, so I’m making sure I have enough water for that. I’m also quite particular about facial cleansing, now that I have my routine down pat and since I derive benefits from it, I want it to remain that way. Vain? Yes icon biggrin Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

I also couldn’t get by without having a proper shower either but will make do as best I can with the water I have and a wash cloth so I use less water. It’ll also be a good time to try dry shampoos right? icon razz Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face? (I can’t imagine getting by without washing my hair – argh!)

Over to you, friends. Choose or lose!

Would you save enough water for a shower or to properly wash your face?

Oh if you have recommendations for dry shampoo available locally (no Batiste unfortuntately) please do share!

P/s Incidentally there was water from the tank so I could have my shower yesterday, and rest assured I have saved enough water to have both a shower AND a good wash of my face so no, I won’t be stinking up the air anytime soon. It’s also what perfumes are for hehe… icon wink Your Say: Choose or Lose: Save enough water to shower or to wash your face?

LeGeeque March 11, 2014 at 8:34 am

Tough one. I can’t deal with either. I might drive to work or gym or borrow a shower from a friend. The last time it happened to me was when some massive storm cut off the supplies but thankfully order was restored within hours.

Don’t make me choose. Don’t choose either. Drive to a friend’s and do what you need to do heh

March 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I love posing tough questions :D But like you, I wouldn’t force myself to choose as I’d have a back up in place for a shower at least :D Can’t do without my daily shower especially in this weather!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections March 11, 2014 at 8:51 am

MAN. I exercise every day now so this is tough! But since I don’t wear makeup every day, I’d choose shower. I can get by with micellar cleansers for my face since I don’t have to worry about taking off makeup! Guess that wasn’t such a tough decision after all!

March 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

haha If this was the apocalypse eh? LOL But in that situation, I wouldn’t be wearing makeup so shower it would be! LOL

xin
March 11, 2014 at 9:09 am

this is a damn tough one, i would probably opt to shower…else it’s a sleepless night for me with the stinking and oily hair. For face i can use cleansing milk then facial mist to wipe it off, or wet issue! ^_^v

March 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I can’t get by without washing my hair daily either! >.< I hope the water in the tank holds up or I might be banging on your door begging for help :P

Juan
March 11, 2014 at 9:11 am

i’ve got my no rinse milk cleanser. I’d just tissue away, spritz some Avene water (the one in the spray can – the mist is quite helpful) and then damp a facial sponge with minimal water to kind of rinse off. Of course that is in the morning. With makeup on, it’ll be a little more challenging becos I need water.

March 11, 2014 at 2:03 pm

That’s my dilemma! Can’t be facing work without some war paint on yet I’ll have to take it off properly in the evening. Realistically, I have enough water for both but you know, it’s always fun to think of the “What if?” scenario :D

Teresa March 11, 2014 at 9:14 am

Shower absolutely, because I can’t go more than two days without washing my hair — less if I’ve been exercising! I’m a dry shampoo fiend, but they can only do so much, for me at least.

Teresa March 11, 2014 at 9:15 am

Also oil/balm/cream cleansers are great, because you can just wipe it all off with a washcloth instead of splashing around in the sink for ages :D

March 11, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Yes! Which is why technically I use less water than really necessary for washing my face. Truly, the many uses of a wash cloth whether for cleansing the face or body is manifold!

March 11, 2014 at 2:06 pm

You and I both Teresa! I have to wash my hair daily and since I live where I do, I think it essential! I never got the hang of using a dry shampoo. My scalp always feels so heavy!

AnT March 11, 2014 at 9:24 am

LOL I will collect enough water for both! Just use lesser water and can only wash my hair alternate days :D Drinking water as well, I have to keep at least 6 bottles of the 2 litres. By the way, do you have a cover for the pail of waters you have kept there? I have to use 1 extra storage container just to keep some dust-free water :D You know how it’s like for keeping water in the air for hours, right?

March 11, 2014 at 2:09 pm

LOL indeed that’s what I did. Use every available receptacle to store water – pots and pans to the rescue! :P Thankfully I’m at work for most of the day so my water intake is there and unaffected by the rationing. The water in my bathroom is just for washing so not so big a deal thankfully!

Firn March 11, 2014 at 9:24 am

I’d wash my face because the skin on my body can tolerate wet wipes and the residue they leave behind.

And yes, dry shampoo! But I feel that doesn’t really suit our humid tropical climate (which is why the angmohs douse themselves in perfume, to mask the smell of hair-that-has-not-been-washed-for-a-few-days) and that musty sweat smell that emanates from the scalp is just nasty!

March 11, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Ooh you and I seem to be the only ones choosing face over body hehe but like you, I figured my body can handle the stress of using wipes and stuff. I’d rather not have to spend time and money treating my skin :P And you’re also right about dry shampoo. I never got the hang of it but because I wash my hair daily it never mattered to me. The one time I used a dry shampoo, it felt like I was suffocating my scalp :P And don’t get me started on people who don’t wash hair or shower. Man, I was just reminded of a horrible encounter at uni, being forced to sit next to someone like that. Almost fainted. It’s a wonder I passed the exam!

AnT March 11, 2014 at 9:32 am

I guess those pail of waters next to the flush toilet mainly for P’s usage :D

March 11, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Yep! And washing up – not drinking :D

AnT March 11, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Drinking! LOL! You~ :D

Ting March 11, 2014 at 9:50 am

I would save water for shower. In crisis like this, wouldn’t have mood to wear makeup. Even if I have to (wear makeup), it can be taken off by wet wipes or micellar water. :)

March 11, 2014 at 2:13 pm

LOL Thank goodness it’s just 2 days but I have to put a good face forward for work hence the need to wear some makeup although in reality, I did keep enough water of course. But it was a very interesting question to pose and I love the answers I got! :D

Ting March 11, 2014 at 2:24 pm

And I sincerely hope you survive 2 days without water. Another potential question for your post: would you rather have no electricity or no water for 2 days?

My answer: No electricity. I can’t do without water!!!!!!! :P

March 11, 2014 at 2:32 pm

GAH! HOW TO CHOOSE?!?! Ok I’d pick no electricity too. I’d be cut off from the world and I’d probably wilt and melt away into a puddle of sweaty ooze thanks to the hot weather but at least with running water I can shower and stay clean-ish :P Ooh shudder! :P

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous
March 11, 2014 at 10:48 am

Shower. Hands down. I can deal with a quick wash of the face but I cannot not take a shower. If it’s just for a couple of days, I’ll use my heap of face wipes, micellar lotions and whatnots. No shower? Cannot lah. :P

Or like LeGeeque said, drive to a friend’s place to take a shower. For dry shampoo, I don’t know if you have it but I like CEDEL. In fact, I prefer it to Batiste.

March 11, 2014 at 2:16 pm

haha especially in our weather right? :P In reality of course, I have sufficient water or in the worst case scenario, I will find a way to grab a shower. Realistically also, if I really have no water for days on end, I’d skip the makeup so washing the face is less water consuming but it was an interesting question and the answers even more so! I must seem like a real dirty fellow, opting not to shower LOL!

shusheshe
March 11, 2014 at 11:25 am

My scalp starts itching if I go without washing my hair for longer than 2 days (I have oily hair) so that’s something I have to keep in mind.

I’ll also forgo any and all makeup during the waterless days, and so I can just use plain water or use wet wipes on my face.

For the body itself, I’ll only wash my lower body, and again, use wipes for the rest.

March 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Every precious drop of water counts! We never appreciate what we have till it’s gone right? :) I have to wash my hair daily too or I feel so uncomfortable I can’t sleep :P So realistically, I have enough water for that or failing which, I’d go bang on a friend’s door LOL

Victoria March 11, 2014 at 11:32 am

LOL for the conundrum because I have the same too :-) My area was not suppose to have water yesterday and today but surprisingly, I still have water. I would choose to shower although I would have to wash my long hair on alternate days to conserve water. I decided to rely on my micellar water to remove makeup and have to forgo the wash cloth method on days where there is no water.

March 11, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This water rationing thing is terrible! For now, I think we have some water in the communal tank provided people are considerate and don’t drain the tank before the supply comes in. Hopefully it gets solved soon. It’s interesting to see which people choose :D In reality, I wouldn’t even wear makeup just so cleansing uses less water but gosh, if I were really put in a spot like this, I’d be stumped (although then I’d probably pick showering!)

shasha March 11, 2014 at 12:14 pm

oh gosh, a tough one! honestly, I might be too pampered to forgo either, so I think ill crash at a friends place or at least a cheap hotel until the water supply comes back. I shudder to think of not showering and washing my face the normal way..
But if push comes to shove, ill choose a shower =D

March 11, 2014 at 2:22 pm

LOL I know of people who are putting up in hotels for the non-water supply days. I think houses get hit more than apartments because the latter usually has a tank that can service everyone for a day or two if everyone’s considerate. But I made sure I have enough water for both a shower and to wash my face. I’d feel totally unclean not doing either!

Sze Ling March 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Shower! I don’t think I can fall asleep knowing that I haven’t shower for that day. Sorry my-dear-face, you’re on your own now (for 3 days). :P

March 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Hahaha! In reality, me too! At a push, I’d make do with a wash cloth for both face and body. That way I use less water and let it stretch further :D

Arpita March 11, 2014 at 3:24 pm

If I had to pick, I’d save water for a shower. I can’t live without showers, and the one time the water was cut for day a few years ago, I refused to get out of bed till it came back!
As for dry shampoos, I have an obscene number of bottles lying about, so you are welcome to 1 or 2 if you’d like. Steer clear of Shaire, because that stuff is toxic and horrifying! Fudge is decent, and Sachajuan now one which I’ve yet to test out.

March 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm

With the current weather situation and the poor quality water when it does make its appearance, I don’t know which is worse coz my skin is starting to itch from all these irritations! >.< I’ll be sure to steer clear of Shaire, thanks for the warning. I’m not familiar with any because the one time I tried one many years ago, it felt like I had covered my scalp with a layer of powder and it was so uncomfortable I couldn’t sleep :P Now, I just grit my teeth and wash my hair as best I can!

Arpita March 13, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Dry shampoo will never leave you feeling clean sadly, but Percy & Reed does a fabulous job (pricey, but available in Sephora). If you’re making a trip to any destination that sells Garnier’s Fuctise Dry Shampoo, it does an even better job because it helps your scalp feel clean sans the horrible white cast. It smells lovely as well, and the scent lingers without any greasiness or irritation. For now though, if you’re in a pinch pick up some Percy & Reed, but stick to the 6-12 cm rule to avoid a white cast.

I’m dreading the water shortage hitting my home. I think it’s as good a time as any to go on holiday!

March 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for the recommendations O Dry-Shampoo-meister :D I’ll be sure to bear these in mind. I have only ever heard of Fudge and Batiste before this. What a new world my eyes have been opened up to!

liyeun March 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I only use Oscar Blandi’s dry shampoo. It works to give volumes too, and i use it during confinement. Guess what? The place where i am living now does not have water for 2 weeks before the rationing every 2 days. Uuurrggghhh.

March 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Ooh I remember buying my sister Oscar Blandi during her confinement too – it was the first one I spotted in Sephora so I grabbed it LOL I don’t know how she liked it though :P You didn’t have water for 2 weeks?! Goodness! I hope you have some water now at least, if only to make life a little more bearable.

Vera Soo March 11, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Insane right. They only announced on the Friday before that got water disruption. It starts on Mon 9am and resume 2 days later by 4pm.
Luckily my condo has it’s own tank & I time myself while using the shower.

Instead of jogging, I turn to swimming lately. The dust & haze ain’t good for the lungs.

My friend from Kepong complained her area got affected more thn 4days! Pity her. Got a baby & mum in law to juggle. So eating out ain’t a good option.

Saw from the news, some area, over 10days. The residents went berserk & hijacked a water tanks.

March 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Very insane, and coming on top of the haze too! I don’t even know how I’m supposed to do any laundry coz the water when it comes is so dirty! >.< I stay in a high rise and it has its own tank too so discomfort is slightly more minimized, but because there’s so many people using the water, they’ve limited the hours when there’ll be water available so that’s quite a hassle too. Those who have kids and many people staying at home will suffer the most I’m sure. I really shouldn’t complain but I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t :)

Houdini March 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I would save it for a shower!
And use mineral water to wash my face! (Is that cheating? :P)

Already in the habit of using mineral water to brush my teeth during times like these, sometimes the residual water from the tank or water truck can look cloudy…

March 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Hahaha you know what Houdini (love your handle!) I have been thinking of getting a large bottle of mineral water to wash my face, especially after seeing the quality of the water when it does return. Yuck!

Ailyn March 11, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I feel you. tried micellar water like bioderma or Garnier has a new range. those that you can afford to use less water to rinse should be ok right?
I was going to suggest ta pao water from work, but I guess it will look odd.

March 13, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures! While I haven’t resorted to tapaoing water from work, I can never rule out that possibility hehe… We haven’t gotten the Garnier micellar water yet but I hear it’s very impressive! As is the L’Oreal one.

Ailyn March 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I know it’s so annoying when there is no water, especially during hazey times like these!
yeah Garnier micellar is good and a lot cheaper than bioderma ones.

March 14, 2014 at 10:46 am

Have been told it’ll be a while before we see the Garnier or loreal micellar waters here but I’m looking forward to it! :)

ishi March 11, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Hot water and face towel. Wipe down first round with wet towel, lather face and body, preferably with low suds soap. Wash down with what little water in the bucket. I get reasonably clean face and body.

For hair, nip down to the gym…

Some of the residents here steal the pool water. I don’t relish the thought of washing myself (heaven forbid, if water is used for cooking) with pee laced pool water…brrr

March 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Pool water?! It’s clorinated isn’t it, pee aside? *shudder* I hope they aren’t using it for personal hygiene or *gasp* drinking! I’ve taken to doing a quick wash too and it’s times like this that using a face towel makes so much sense. I used to wonder why my grannies bathe with a towel – now I know :P

Shieja Rahim March 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I’m now so busy .. storing water .. all basin n pails are filed up.. its gonna b challenging4 all of us now.. and the awful news we had for the mh370 its so sad.. i hope everything will be solve.. n i hope there is survivors to tell their experience.. i know its very slim.. but now our hope n prayers are needed for them …

March 13, 2014 at 4:58 pm

It’s absolutely challenging, Shieja. There’s so much we have to go through now, aside from the missing plane and the haze and the water and everything else. It’s like we’re being put through a wringer! I hope this water crisis eases up soon. We need rain… LOTS of rain!

lisa March 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I will choose water to shower and wash my hair too. I can’t substitute cleaning my scalp/hair with dry shampoo. They don’t work. Face wise there’s always bioderma water. Not a big deal for a day or two. Hope the rain will come soon….fast and furious…

March 13, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Absolutely with you on praying for lots and lots of rain. The haze here isn’t helping things either! I’ve been using more bioderma as well recently if only so I don’t have to double cleanse everyday. Still feel like something’s missing though!

Jennifer March 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Tomorrow will be day 2 of my water ration saga. Tough choice indeed, face or hair? The best feeling was brushing teeth with high water pressure running at the office post lunch today…The saddest feeling was washing my face with limited splashes this morning as I was getting ready for work. The scariest feeling is waking up tomorrow, face or shower or hair…with just half a tub of water left.

Haha, drama queen at her best when dealing with water ration saga. Upside is, I can actually drive to my friend’s place in the next neighbourhood 5 minutes away or the gym near my workplace. I will decide if I will sacrifice 60 minutes of sleep. I hope water supply resumes soon…Hope all is well your side and you have collected sufficient water and perfume stash :)

March 13, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Like you I’m making as much use of the water at the office as I can! I don’t have a gym membership so I can’t even make use of facilities to shower and clean up in, or that would be my logical choice. The worst feeling for me was seeing brown water coming out of the pipes after the water came back. I was like, how do I bathe in this?! Yuck! :( I’ve collected enough for the weekday, but I’m dreading the coming weekend with no water supply. I think that’ll be the most trying time of all

Fathin March 12, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Neither! I will save enough water for brushing my teeth and toilet business :D
Well, if I really, really need to choose and have enough water for my dental and toilet, I’ll say shower. Because I can wash my face and body at one go and I will probably not using much bubbles as usual (soap, facial wash, etc etc)

March 13, 2014 at 5:05 pm

LOL! Yes, the toilet! It’s going to be such a trying time for us all – especially when we have to consider making decisions like this. Hard to believe I’m living in a city eh? :P