Some things I’d rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

in Eyeshadow,FOTD,Makeup,New on shelves,Palettes,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On March 10, 2014
Last modified:March 9, 2014

Summary:

When I first laid eyes on the Bobbi Brown x L’Wren Scott Amnesia Rose Palette a few months ago, I remember doing a double take. The sturdy palette designed like a book contained colours I’d never have associated with the brand. I have to say however, that the makeup artist at the time did an amazing job with the palette on one of the girls, giving her a look befitting that of a party-goer and so I filed that away in the back of my head as a palette to watch.

When the palette was eventually released as part of the Amnesia Rose collection, it found its way into my hands and I could finally see if this was a palette that would help me conquer my fear of bright purples or if it might crash and burn in a blaze of Bobbi Brown bright eyeshadow powders.

bb amnesia rose palette2 Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

Apologies to all Bobbi Brown fans out there, but this is one palette that I would quite happy to forget about. “Amnesia” is quite an apt description in this instance and I’m disappointed. No, not in the colour selection. I do think the colour selection works just fine. It’s the quality of the eyeshadows that has me wondering what went wrong.

The Amnesia Rose Palette has a pretty cover and looks (and feels) like a sturdy diary. It is a very handy palette that you could quite easily slip into a daily makeup pouch if you’re minded to.

bb amnesia rose palette open Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

On one side is a large mirror that is very handy for touch ups and on the other are 8 large pans of color that at a glance, look promising.

There are 6 powder eyeshadow colours, 1 blush and 1 Pot Rouge which is both a lip and cheek colour. I usually am leery of cream-powder mixed palettes so given a chance, I would have passed for this reason alone. However, I do recognise how handy they are for people who do have to be on the go a lot so I understand the logic behind it, if not the practicality.

bb amnesia rose palette Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

The 6 eyeshadows come in sparkle and matte textures ostensibly so you can create different looks to suit different occasions. Sparkles add some fun and the mix of light and dark matte shades allow you to wear this to work and then off to a party.

I’ve got the swatches for you below but I have to warn you that this is a palette that I feel swatches better than it applies. What do I mean? Simply that it I get colours to show up in a swatch, but on their own, on the eyes where it really matters, the eyeshadows fall flat on their faces.

Here are the swatches, which I did using my fingers and layering them over themselves to get the colours to show.

bb amnesia rose swatch Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette swatches

1. Amnesia Rose – A browned rose matte eyeshadow and quite easily the most wearable of all colours. It works well as a stand alone colour, or as a base colour.
  2. Silver Lilac – A sparkle shadow in Bobbi Brown’s sparkle texture which is high shimmer and glitter. It applies best using fingers to lightly tap on the colour. Using a brush you get nowhere.
  3. Pink Lilac – The other sparkle shadow that to me looks indistinguishable from Silver Lilac. Similarly, use your fingers to pat this on for best effect.
  4. Iron – A grey matte eyeshadow that helps deepen colours and gives depth.
  5. Ultra Violet – Described as a shimmer wash eyeshadow, this violet shadow has minimal to no discernible shimmer on my skin. It is a reddened purple that I personally distance myself from.
  6. Mulberry – A matte deep violet.
  7. Sand Pink Blush – A rosy browned blush
  8. Desert Rose Pot Rouge – A browned rose cream textured product that you can use as a cream blush or on lips as lip colour

From swatches, it looks workable. However, my disappointment came when I tried to apply it on my eyes. I found the texture of the eyeshadows hard and dry and it was hard to pick up colour with my brushes. These are brushes I use daily with different brands and textures of shadows and it frustrated me.

The other problem I ran into was the poor adherence to the skin. When I deposit colour on my lid, and then try to blend it out, the colour would just fall off and disappear. So, I spent a lot of time trying to pile on colour and blend, only to find that all I was creating was a muddy mess.

I don’t have a quarrel with sheer textured eyeshadows. In fact, I really like the BB Luxe palette which few people did and Guerlain eyeshadow palettes have notoriously sheer textures and a hard texture that put some people off, but when applied on skin, they apply like butter, sticking on, blending beautifully and imparting a lovely shade and shadow to the skin that wows me like nothing else. This however, frustrated me.

In the end, I worked out that the eyeshadows in the Amnesia Rose palette work best on their own, over an eyeshadow base and patted on whether with a dense eyeshadow brush or fingers. Don’t even think about trying to blend. You’d just rub everything away or muddy it. And that, my friends, I found very disappointing.

The Sand Pink blush was alright in texture, even if I wouldn’t usually use a colour like this as it makes my skin look duller than usual, and the Desert Rose pot rouge was a bit too nude for me. Here’s an example of my attempt at wearing the Amnesia Rose palette.

bb amnesia fotd Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

It all looks fairly neutral doesn’t it? Especially around the eyes. Would it surprise you to know that I’m supposed to have both purples on the eye area? I just couldn’t get it to show up and when I did, and tried to blend, it all blended into that neutral colour you see above. I personally found the colours a bit too dull for my skintone (not a fault of the palette) so adding some colour to my cheeks and lips helped boost the look somewhat.

bb amnesia fotd2 Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them bb amnesia fotd3 Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

Doesn’t change the eyes I’m afraid. Can you see the hint of purple? That’s about as best as I could get it to show. Lily managed to get a more vibrant look if you want to see something of a contrast and so did Temptalia.

However, I mention this because I have fair skills when it comes to using eyeshadow. I say fair, in the sense that I can do a fairly decent job with eyeshadow application. Not an expert, but fair enough for day to day use; and if this is as best as I could fare with the Amnesia Rose palette, I don’t really want to know how much more disappointed someone who is just starting out and experimenting might feel about it.

If you ask me, I’d just leave this palette to the experts to wow us with their vibrant looks created with the Amnesia Rose palette. For the rest of us mortals, I’m going to plainly suggest that you save your money and wait for something better to come along. I just don’t think this to be one of Bobbi Brown’s better palettes.

In a nutshell

The Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose palette is a limited edition eye, lip and cheek palette created in collaboration with fashion designer L’Wren Scott. The palette comes in a handy slim and sturdy compact with a large useful mirror. There are 6 eyeshadows, 1 powder blush and 1 pot rouge which can be used both as a cream blush and a lip colour. I personally find the colours too dull and the quality of the eyeshadows to be lacking. They feel hard, colour pay off is poor and they come off powdery with poor adherence to the skin. Blending the colours makes them disappear and muddy which I’ve realised is not a complaint only I make. Some other discerning people have noticed this too and it disappoints because this doesn’t come cheap and the brand could have done some interesting things with this departure into vibrant colour. The powder blush and pot rouge are alright if the colours are your thing although I personally feel a more vibrant lip and cheek colour would suit the palette better. In a nutshell, save your pennies for another better palette. Better luck next time, BB!

Pros: Compact palette, Interesting colours from the brand

Cons: Poor quality of eyeshadows, Eyeshadows are hard with powdery and poor colour pay off and poor adherence to the skin, Rubs off easily, Colours turn muddy unless used over a base

Who will like this: Anyone who likes the combination of colours in the palette, Anyone who is comfortable wearing just 1 or 2 colours over an eyeshadow base

bb amnesia rose mirror Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

The size of the compact is fairly good and the products come in a good size, not tiny little pans for which I’m glad. I just feel it would just have been better had there been more focus on quality as opposed to mere appearances.

bb amnesia rose size Some things Id rather forget and the Bobbi Brown Amnesia Rose Palette is one of them

Were you drawn to the Amnesia Rose palette? Have you tested it and have your thoughts to share on this?

I confess the colours aren’t something I’m keen on so my lack of enthusiasm does show. Of all the shades in the palette, I think Amnesia Rose is the best of the lot. It’s wearable on its own as an interesting neutral especially if you draw in some dark liner and the texture too seems to be the best. The rest are, I’m afraid, a wash out.

Bobbi Brown x L’Wren Scott Amnesia Rose palette Price: RM265 Availability: Bobbi Brown counters and stores Limited Edition: Yes

Disclosure: Featured product was a press sample for consideration. Our commitment is to honesty and fairness. For posting guidelines please read the disclaimer.

March 10, 2014 at 9:13 am

Strange, PB, I didn’t experience that blending problem. Thanks for the link and Amnesia Rose eye shadow is my fave too! So effortless for a daily subtle look :-)

March 11, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Maybe my skills are crap LOL :D But Amnesia Rose is a nice colour for daily wear. The best of the lot I think!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections March 10, 2014 at 9:56 am

LOL see, I guess it all depends on how much work you’re willing to put into it. Me? I’ve HATED BB most of the time, so you know where I stand. Doesn’t surprise me at all. I own only foundation from her and that’s it. And this just solidifies why I refuse to buy any more of her other products. Overrated imo.

lisa March 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Me too included. I hate BB products most of the time too. What swatched lovely or workable don’t work out on the eyes or face. Always end up looking flat or chalky.And their lip products always have a weird scent. As i was reading, i was thinking give me Guerlain any day. Swatched chalky and dry? But goes on like a lasting dream and oh yes…the end look is always polished and beautiful. I’m so happy you were thinking the same…haha.

March 11, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Haha great minds think alike Lisa! :D I used to be quite harsh on the Guerlain 6 color palettes but in the past few months, they’ve really grown on me. What I thought was poor colour pay off, applied beautifully on skin and blends gorgeously and importantly, stays all day, looking good. Got to admit I now am craving more 6 colour palettes as opposed to the 4 colour ones! They’re just better! :D

March 11, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I’m afraid I’ll agree with you there, Tracy. I’m just not willing to spend that much time on something knowing that I could easily achieve a better result with a different product. I have to say I haven’t used a lot of Bobbi Brown over the years although I do like their blushes. I have a couple and they’re nice and long lasting. But I suppose it’s one of those things – some brands grab us, others don’t!

lyn
March 10, 2014 at 11:59 am

What an apt title! Xin and I were playing around with this palette and we weren’t particularly impressed. I generally don’t fancy BB eyeshadows or blushers (although I know you like their blush).

March 11, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I couldn’t resist :D I do like their blushes, that much I’d say but I haven’t used a lot of their shadows. I think maybe for a neutral shadow they might work or maybe the singles will work better but this palette just didn’t cut the mustard!

LeGeeque March 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Don’t you ever dare apologise for not liking something, Missy! It’s these honest thoughts that have garnered you loyal readers over the years!

With that out of the way, I must say the colours alone make me run away. They’re a little too strong for my liking and too warm. I get the impression it will go streaky on me. I might have to swatch it to satisfy my curiosity

March 11, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Ok boss! :) I don’t think this a very versatile palette for everyone but perhaps for those who can make it work, it’s a good one. I personally find it too much trouble but over a base, and on someone keen on bright colours, they’d probably love it! :)

Aggie March 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

What a shame! The packaging and eyeshadow colours are actually really pretty.

March 11, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Haha, I think I’ve sort of outgrown these bright shades so they didn’t appeal to me much, but then, reviews on this palette have been quite mixed so it’s one to check out in person to see if it grows on you :)

Ailyn March 10, 2014 at 7:02 pm

maybe eye primer would help?

March 11, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Yep, hence my recommending to use this with a base aka primer. I personally don’t use eye bases on a regular basis so anything that doesn’t adhere to skin gets panned for me!

Ailyn March 11, 2014 at 6:28 pm

oh fair point. I didn’t know what you meant by base :P
so used to the word primer

March 13, 2014 at 4:54 pm

No problems! I got so used to base coz of the Japanese influence LOL Next time I’ll be sure to mention primer too to avoid misunderstandings :)

Fathin March 10, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I’ve seen the swatches from other website and yours are more deeper shade than theirs – maybe skin effect? Anyhow, I love purple shades but based on my past experience with BB shimmer eye shadows, I don’t like the finish look – somehow on my eyes, more glitter than the actual colour, maybe I use too heavy hand LOL

From the collection, I got myself Lip Color in Wine – I’m a loyal fan of BB lip color :D How about reviews on their lip color from same Amnesia Rose Collection, I think you might find them more satisfying than the palette.

March 11, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I layered my swatches about 3 layers to get the colour to show up which I felt shows off the product better because it does surprisingly swatch very well. BB’s sparkle shadows are a bit of a wash out I feel. They do tend to just turn up as sparkles so the best way is to dab them on with a finger. At least that was my experience. Not her best I’m afraid! I did take a look at the lip colours at the store recently but none of the colours grabbed my eye. I personally find BB lip products a bit too drying for my tastes and they have that smell that I’m not keen on which is why I haven’t paid much attention over the years. But the new Art Sticks, now those I love! :D

Fathin March 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, I have to agree, there’s something funny smell about their lip color products but I love their shades :D

I hope that you will review on Art Sticks soon especially on their multi-purpose function – lip color, lip liner and for certain shades, as blush :D

March 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I will Fathin! I only have 1 shade at the moment but I may pick up another and do them at one go. I’m not so sure about using them as a blush to be honest, but as lip colour and liner? Yes! :D

Jennifer March 10, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Such a pity that it did not work out for you :( The palette does look good but application wise, it really is another forgettable story. Better one next time!

March 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It was a pity but maybe not so much coz I wasn’t too taken by the colours either. I’m just not young or hip enough to pull this off anymore haha!

gio March 11, 2014 at 4:31 am

The packaging is gorgeous and the shades lovely. What a shame they perform so poorly!

March 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm

For me, Gio! Some others seem to make it work :D

Ting March 11, 2014 at 10:12 am

That mulberry and ultra violet shades are quite pretty actually. Shame none of these showed up on your lids… :(

March 11, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Haha I think you’d fare better with your Sleek palette :D Personally these aren’t colours I’d wear so I’m not overly fussed. Now if it had been shades I liked I think I’d be even harsher ;)

Ting March 11, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hey you mentioned about my sleek acid palette like twice in a week? :p You know, the Ultra Violet does look like it could be from this palette… and the recent news about Urban Decay’s neon bright palette reminds me of it as well. Does it mean it’s about time I take it out to play with, rather than having to wait for my daughter’s Halloween’s party? :p

March 11, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Yes! I wanted to see if you’d used it yet LOL! and you know, when I saw the UD Electric palette the first thing I thought was – that looks like Sleek. To be honest, I’d never buy it simply because I’m just past that age of neon miracles but you know, I’ve seen some amazing looks come out of the UD Palette so you could use that as a reference ;)

KitKat March 18, 2014 at 2:09 am

Who knew you would slam this product and the designer would be dead a week later.

March 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Life is fragile indeed, although it was never a criticism of the designer on my part, but of the Bobbi Brown brand.

Phyllicia March 24, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Gee.. It’s a pity that such a beautiful palette comes up short when it comes to color payoff. I wouldn’t have expected that prob from Bobbi Brown. Huhu..

March 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Neither did I but then it’s one of those things. Pity the designer they collaborated with passed away not long after the collection was launched :(