in Challenges,Cheap and Good?,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews,Tips

I’ve realised that there is always a general “fear” of wearing lipstick. Being afraid that the colour is too heavy, or that it is waxy (not anymore, unless you are using one from the 80′s) or that it is ageing. It doesn’t have to be. With the many different brands and textures available, you can find a lipstick texture to suit you (and your age).

When people ask, I like to tell them to start with a sheer lipstick. It helps ease you into the wonderful world of lipstick, and the colours are usually lighter and easier to wear.

sheer lipstick intro Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick

I’d consider myself a lipstick “veteran” by now, but I still pull out a sheer textured lipstick every now and again. When I have strong eyes on, a sheer lip adds colour without weight and depth. When I want a light, fresh look, a sheer lipstick adds colour without making me look made up. If I want, I can layer on the colour and get more depth which is something harder to do with an opaque lipstick.

In short, every girl needs a sheer lipstick, and here are some favourites that I have. I have segregated them out by brand, not colour icon smile Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick Do you have a favourite sheer lipstick brand too?

sheer lipstick Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick

My go-to picks for sheer lipstick textures straddle the high and low end of the price spectrum. Because I’m picky about the quality and texture of my lipsticks, I don’t pick them willy-nilly. They have to feel comfortable, give a pretty tint of colour, offer up shine to plump up lips and not be drying. You’d be surprised at how few make my cut!

Here are swatches of the lipsticks and brands I’ve picked, to give you an idea of what I look for. Remember, lipsticks come in many shades – I’m only picking out brands icon smile Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick Each lipstick is swatched directly from the tube with just 1 pass so you can see how the textures do vary.

sheer lipstick swatch Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick

1. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine – This colour is Elise (have a swatch here too) and while I’m not really into Chanel lipsticks (the texture feels a bit waxy for me) this one gets my vote. It is very sheer as the swatch shows, but it gives a lovely tint of colour on lips and the shine is natural and healthy. You cannot build it up very much.
  2. Dior Addict – This colour is Tango. I think you’ve heard me wax lyrical about Dior Addict lipsticks for far too long icon razz Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick But they have been among my faves for years because they were one of my first high end lipsticks and I like the balmy texture and pretty, sheer colours and shine. You can build it up to look a little more vibrant, but it never loses that balmy look.
  3. Guerlain Rouge Automatique Shine – This shade here is Pamplelune. Note that this is the Rouge Automatique Shine formula. The colour has more shine to it, and has a slightly sheerer texture. This one is buildable to a degree. It can take on a more opaque appearance, but the shine prevents it from looking too heavy. I’d wear this as a light sheer lip colour.
  4. Lunasol Intellectual Lips – The shade is 10 Pale Pink which is a very natural lip shade. I’m about halfway through this tube and I believe this particular one may already be discontinued. However, Lunasol has very good quality lipstick that border on being a little sheer which is very typical of a Japanese brand, and which doesn’t appeal to many people, but I can safely say they have very high quality lip products.
  5. Maybelline Watershine Pure Lipstick – I love Maybelline lipsticks. One of my first lipstick was by Maybelline! The shade here is Fresh Cherry and although I’d classify it as a sheer lipstick, it is buildable to quite a bright colour. Opacity, less so, but colour definitely can be built up. Affordable and pretty lipstick – nothing to fault at all!
  6. Revlon Lip Butter – Who hasn’t heard of this one? The colour shown here is Sweet Tart and I have found that opacity can vary from colour to colour. Some colours are a little sheerer, and I’d put Sweet Tart as being halfway to being opaque with just 1 swipe. Colour is certainly buildable, but again, you don’t lose that moisturising shine and balmy look on lips. Very wallet friendly pick too.
  7. Shiseido Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer – Again, I have to stress that this is the Tender Sheer texture, which has a lighter, sheerer application than the Perfect Rouge, which is a beautiful opaque lipstick texture that I love. From the swatch however, you can probably tell that Tender Sheer or not, this isn’t your regular barely there lip. You still get colour, but it has a lighter texture and a touch more shine to it. A lighter shade may appear sheerer than a deeper shade, as is wont to happen, and this one is buildable quite easily. Of all the shades shown here, this has the deepest pigment.

sheer lipstick2 Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick

I pulled this one together quite quickly after rifling through my lipstick drawer so I may have missed some. But I also realised that I’m incredibly brand loyal! So, if I have a lipstick I like in a texture I like, I have a few shades of them! Doesn’t allow me much space to branch out to other brands haha!

Do you like wearing sheer lipstick? Do you have a favourite brand for your sheer lipsticks and is there one I should be trying?

I worked backwards in my lipstick history. I started out with opaque lip colours and then lightened to a sheer lip colour. I like the options I have when wearing a sheer lip and if you don’t feel like a lipstick would suit you, try a sheer colour and texture. You may be pleasantly surprised icon smile Paris Picks! 7 Sheer Lipsticks to ease you into the wonderful world of wearing lipstick Now, share with me your faves!

Isabel October 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love Maybelline Watershine (Glazed Red Apple) too!

One of my top reasons for wearing sheer lipsticks is that I can apply it without using a mirror. Yes … I am one of those people who do that :/

October 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Wow I take my hat off to you Isabel! I can’t apply lipstick without looking in a mirror. Guess I don’t know my own lips enough haha!

Ting October 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hahahahaha Isabel!! Glazed Red Apple sounds so yummy!! You know what, I do that (without mirror) with Revlon’s Just Smitten Balmstain in lighter colour, Honey, I think? I just close my lips and go left and right a few times and smack them together. :p A technique I learnt from PixiWoo to line top and bottom lash lines at the same time but I do to lips. :p

October 12, 2013 at 5:36 pm

OMG! You’re damn brave :P I dare not so I always have to whip out my mirror or look for a shiny surface haha!

Victoria October 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I love your picks and I do not think I have any sheer lipsticks with me because I like my lipsticks to have a higher degree of pigmentation. I must try Maybelline Watershine one day because of the raves. Sorry to say I hated my Revlon Lip Butter because it was so drying. I have Shiseido Perfect Rouge and Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer and I really love the formula because both formulas are really moisturising and does not dry out my lips. From your picture, the Shiseido lipstick comes in a black body but I thought for Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer comes in a red body? Maybe I am mistaken…

October 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I found the Revlon Lip Butter drying at first, but I don’t know why they seemed to get better as I went along haha! I think my Tender Sheer is in old packaging. They recently revamped the Perfect Rouge range and changed the colours, I think. I do think Shiseido’s interpretation of Sheer isn’t quite accurate is it? It’s hardly sheer!

S. Dramanmakeup October 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Lately I go for more pigmented lipsticks but you’re totally right, sheer ones are the perfect way to begin! Love your picks :)

October 7, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I think your weather certainly plays a part in your lipstick choices S :) Here where it’s hot, lighter textured sheer lipsticks definitely work better but I like pigmented lipsticks too! :D

Hanny Daforcena
October 7, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Of all these the one I like most is the Dior Addict! I’m almost done with my 578 Diorkiss heee!

I didn’t quite like the Maybelline Watershine though. it had a strange scent to me – I gave it to my grandma’s maid that was going to leave soon – after I’ve disinfected it. Heh heh.
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…FOTD: Something A Little… FuturisticMy Profile

October 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The Dior Addicts are awesome aren’t they? I’m on a mission to finish one of mine too but it’s taking me forever! :P

xin
October 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm

i have never tried lunasol lip product! just realized that i am not using any sheer lipstick currently, but i do use red/pink lip gloss, the gloss really helps to keep me looking alive! the downside is, they just disappear after 30 mins ><
xin recently blogged…Tips for Leather Bags Cleaning – Apple Leather Care KitMy Profile

October 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm

That’s the same problem I have with gloss, unless I go for one of the more liquid lipstick type glosses. Hence the sheer lipstick thing is great! Lasting power of a lipstick with a light sheer tint of a gloss ;)

passionflower October 7, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I don’t own any sheer lipsticks. But I do have a tinted lip balm that does the same trick and I love wearing my opaque lipticks as stain. It looks like I just ate some berries!

October 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Tinted lipbalm! That’s a good pick :) I generally do not like using a lipbalm so I did forget about them hehe

Jamie October 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I love, love, love the Dior Addict Extreme in Silhouette. I can go on and on and on about it but I better not, or you might slap me. Hehe. I haven’t quite yet find a colour from either Chanel or Guerlain, yet – but shall be in the hunt for it come December. Muahahahahaha!
Jamie recently blogged…creative friday! of sorts – chapter 2 {updated}My Profile

October 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Mmm Silhouette is pretty! A nice non-death-inducing nude lip :) I don’t generally find the Addict Extremes very sheer though. They seem more pigmented than the regular Addicts. But yeah, Guerlain makes excellent lipsticks. I’m a little on the fence about Chanel but they are very popular too. Am sure you’ll find something to catch your fancy in Dec ;)

Sam Still Reading
October 7, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I love the Revlon Lip Butters, Dior Addict, Dior Addict Extreme, MAC Slimshines (the old formula) and Maybelline Color Whisper. Chanel and Guerlain I’m not familiar with – yet.
I collect the Lip Butters and Addict Extremes like they’re trading cards ;) Such pretty colours!

October 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hahaha! I love how you said you collect the Lip Butters and Addict Extremes like trading cards. It’s like Pokemon – you gotta catch them ALL! :D

Robert c. October 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Hello ~

Umm , I haven’t tried any lipsticks on but a few months ago , I went to shop for some lipsticks for my mother at Ysl and I swatched some of it in my hands . I think it’s kinda sheer ? It’s more of a light color . Umm, it’s YSL lipstick no7 and no11 . No7 is a cool-pink ish and no11 is a nude brown-ish color ~

-Robert

October 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm

There are some YSL lipsticks that are slightly sheerer, I agree. But I have to say I haven’t been very impressed by YSL lipsticks which is why I haven’t chosen to include them. I know lots of people like them though! And I think it’s very observant of you, Robert! ;)

October 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Dior Addicts all the way. LOL!
I like my Lunasol too, but for the price, I prefer my Diors. Guerlain, yes, Chanel Coco Shines are OK, never tried Maybelline and Revlon ones aren’t bad for the price. I just looked at my lipstick drawer, and most of them are from a certain D brand. Guess I’m brand loyal too. HAHAHAHA!
Lily recently blogged…Femme Boulevard: French ChicMy Profile

October 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Have to agree with you on Dior Addicts :) It’s a pity about the Lunasol pricing because they are pretty wonderful stuff and I love how they are scentless but the colours can be a bit too safe. I suppose we subscribe to the theory that if it ain’t broke, don’t try fixing it

PositivelyNice October 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I like those that you talk about. But as with skincare, I always try to find the drugstore version of something, and this time, the best one is actually Sasatinnie by Sasa.

I find that they work better than Dior Addict Extreme (of which, I am a big fan).

I also find that those chubby sticks are great options for sheer lipsticks. Clinique is more sheer and balm-like than Revlon Kissable Balm Stain. So I’d recommend Clinique over the Balm Stain if one is going for sheerness.

October 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Sasatinne is an interesting choice! I haven’t tried their products myself but I had a couple of items from the brand that didn’t impress me (and I actually really detest going into Sasa which might explain why I overlooked it) but thank you for sharing the info! Good point too about the Chubby Sticks. I was going to include the Clinique Chubby Stick lip balm (not the Intense version) but I remembered that I wasn’t a fan because I find it too drying (I know, weird!) but it’s definitely an excellent choice.

Anne October 8, 2013 at 12:05 am

I only started wearing real lipstick now ( im in my mid 30s!!) Have been wearing only sheer lipstick (lunasol and Chanel ) or lighter tone lipgloss in my younger days cos I’m alway afraid of looking too old if I’ll to put on a matt, opaque colour. Slightly red or brighter colour and I will run away like there’s no tomorrow. Hahhaa. But now, I just felt that sheer doesn’t quite works for me anymore. I prefer Matt and solid tone, and I think Burberry and rimmel kate’s lipsticks have great formula and colour selection.. Must be the age thing.. Haha

October 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Never ever too late to wear lipstick, IMO! ;) I personally can’t really get into matte lipstick because I find it drying and ageing so I do tend to go for textures with a bit of shine to it. Can’t have all the lip lines on view to the world! ;) I haven’t really checked out more Rimmel lipsticks because the scent kills me, but Kate does make good lipsticks, I agree!

Tracy October 8, 2013 at 12:33 am

Love your picks! I need to try a Shiseido Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer-that’s on my list now! I think sheers are easy to wear if you’re out and about since they are a no-brainer to reapply.
Tracy recently blogged…The New Lancome Artliner 24H Bold Colour Precision EyelinerMy Profile

October 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm

That’s absolutely right, Tracy! If I were you though, I’d try the Perfect Rouge, not the Tender Sheer. I think you’d prefer Perfect Rouge ;)

Laura October 8, 2013 at 2:37 am

The only thing that intimidates me about full-on-opaque lipstick is messiness! I am so afraid of smudging it everywhere + having to reapply. I go bright with my sheer lipsticks (the Revlon lip butters in Candy Apple and Lollipop being among my favorites), and I opt for balm stains as well (love the Revlon and Jordana ones! They stick and then they stain), but I can’t fathom how I would deal with lipstick smudges or lipstick on my teeth/cups/napkins/utensils, etc. Tips?

October 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Good point Laura! I rarely get lipstick on my teeth, thankfully and if you want to stop it from feathering outside the lip line, a lipliner usually does the trick. In fact, if you want a bright opaque lipstick to wear well, colour in your lips first with a lip liner in a matching colour, then layer on the lipstick with a brush. It will last you all night! Also, even if it does mark cups and napkins, the liner will keep you from having to show wear on your lips. Oh, and naturally, you do have to be a bit more careful when eating :) I have read that licking the side of a cup before drinking prevents lipstick from marking it and it does help to a degree, but I think it looks weird to do that :P

Ting October 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

I can see that this is the post that transforms people into lipstick addict… HAHAHAHAHA

Sheer lipsticks are wonderful. Period. You should have at least 10 in your arsenal, if not more. HAHAHA

Oh by the way, I recently came across some info about lipsticks containing lead. YSL and Red Earth are among the top highest percentage of lead, and followed by Chanel, Dior, Shiseido… I am getting rather worried. :(

October 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm

HAHA! You can quite easily build your whole lipstick arsenal with nothing but sheer lipstick because it’s just so wonderfully easy to use! I have read many many articles over time about the lead in lipstick thing. It is usually always the same article. Try reading this one instead :) So long as we stick to established brands that are vetted by government bodies worldwide, I think we’re safe.

Ting October 13, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hello Paris! Thanks for the link! I read it carefully and I am so happy to know that the lead scare is just BS. I saw the warning various times and I don’t give any thought until it came from a friend… gosh I really wish people who spread these kind of information had done some research about it before scaring the sh*$ out of everyone else! :(

October 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I agree Ting! So many people just “pass it on” without checking the veracity or truth of what they’re passing on and it is all just scaremongering. I find the Snopes website very useful for debunking urban myths :D

Jan S October 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

Thanks for the review! Sheer lipsticks are my favourite. They are much easier to apply than lip glosses, which I seem to be moving away from. I love Lunasol, Revlon Lip butter (pink truffle) and Maquillage lipsticks. Unfortunately, Maybelline and Dior didn’t seem to work for me. I am planning to try Shiseido next :)

October 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Love your picks for sheer lipsticks too Jan! :D Do be warned that Shiseido isn’t as sheer as Lunasol, Revlon or Maquillage but the texture is sublime :D

Beauty Box October 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I like Revlon’s Sweet Tart Lip Butter too! Gorgeous… I was in love with Candy Apple but mine is finished. For sheer lippies, I also like MAC’s Viva Glam V which is very much like Chanel’s Rouge Allure Boy – your lips but better type shade. You are right that Chanel is a bit waxy but it’s not so bad that I can’t stand it.

October 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I don’t think we got Candy Apple here but I’ve seen pix online and it’s so pretty! I remember trying the MAC VGV but MAC lipsticks dry out my lips so I’ve stopped looking. It was a nice shade though.

Carina October 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Awesome post! I, for one, love sheer lipsticks. :D I actually prefer them over heavier creamy once like MAC’s creamsheens.
Carina recently blogged…Stylenanda 3 CONCEPT EYES Lip Lacquer in Pink Boom*My Profile

October 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Carina :D I love sheer lipsticks too and I do think they are sometimes quite maligned for not having colour when sometimes, that’s what we want! Just a tint :)

Melissa Ting October 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I found out the sheer lipstick doesn’t suit me. I had tried Estee Lauder and also Revlon. Somehow I feel weird about it. I prefer matta finish like Elianto Nutri Rouge N03. This is my current favorite lipstick!

October 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Matte finish! Brave girl :) I personally am not a fan of matte lipstick because I find it drying and ageing but it always impresses me how well it looks on some people!

Melissa Ting October 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm

hahaha… Not really. I’ll need to apply lip balm to make sure my lips don’t crack. To reduce lips getting dry, don’t blot. Cause I found out if I blot too often then my lips will become dry and crack.

October 12, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Good point. I don’t quite believe in wearing lip balm hence I stick to a more moisturising lipstick ;)

Jean October 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

i am slowly adapting to lipsticks lately. I think i will love color #2! Shall go to counter and check it out soon.
Jean recently blogged…Mid Valley Megamall – Haagen DazzMy Profile

October 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Ah if you go for the Dior Addict line, there are SO MANY choices to pick from hehe… Very mind boggling because they all look so good :P

Germaine October 10, 2013 at 12:35 am

Hi Paris! You should try the ZA lip plump lipstick, it’s sheer and works so well to fade out the lines that I have from having dry lips ! Doesn’t hurt the wallet loo :P

October 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Ooh thanks for the suggestion Germaine :) I’ll be sure to check them out the next time I’m out and about. ZA does make some very nice and very affordable makeup right? I like their foundations too!

Michelle Beh October 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love lunasol and Revlon lip products as well! I do have some sheer lipsticks and I love those colours that are buildable with few swatches!

October 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Good taste, Michelle :) What other sheer lipsticks do you like?

Michelle Beh October 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm

The another sheer lipstick brand that I like is the first lipstick brand that I tried which is Maybelline Watershine Pure lipstick. I love this one but I fell in love more with the other 2 brands that I mentioned! Paris B! Thanks for introducing lunasol lipstick which had made me fall in love with it:)

October 12, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Oh Yay! I love Lunasol too so am glad you like it too

Mari Ohira October 14, 2013 at 12:31 am

These days I’m steering away from bold lipsticks and preferring the sheer ones so I can build up my eye makeup. I already finished 2 tubes of Benefit’s Silky Finish lipstick in Good-to-Go. It is a my-lips-but-better lipstick that goes from sheer to intense – but not quite. It gives a bit of shine and stains the lips a bit, lasting longer. The lipstick in Ms Behavin’ is also very nice, a plummy shade that goes from sheer raspberry to deep blackberry. Also, they are very moisturising, even though they can melt a bit in hot weather.

October 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Ooh good reminder about the Benefit Silky Finish lipsticks, Mari! I had used the more opaque ones before this so I hadn’t tried the sheer versions. I remember they were pretty good so it’s good to know the sheer ones work well too. I haven’t been paying a lot of attention to Benefit lately. I was interested in their new blush but when I saw just how little product there was, I decided to pass :P

Mari October 15, 2013 at 5:42 am

Yeah, they are pretty strong on the blusher department. The funny thing is I have never tried one of them! The powder ones, I mean. I like their lip/cheek tints, but I don’t find them very practical. :(

October 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

No, I’m not a fan of their tints either. They dry too quickly and are prone to leaving streaks!

Ana October 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I must say that sheer lipsticks don’t appeal to me, at all.
Too much money for something you can get from a balm (+ moisturisation) for a smaller price.

I recommend buying a real lipstick, then just patting it on with a finger – you get the sheerness, but you can go opaque if the mood strikes you.
Ana recently blogged…via So Much PileupMy Profile

November 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm

That’s true Ana, except I do think there’s a market out there because I for example don’t use lipbalms because their texture doesn’t appeal to me, so for me, sheer moisturising lipstick-balm hybrids suit me better :)