My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip-plumping mirror shine

in FOTD,Lip Gloss,Makeup,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On September 23, 2013
Last modified:September 22, 2013

Summary:

I don’t use lipgloss. Now, how many of you can say that?

Ok, well I do, but I’m terribly picky about them and to date, I only voluntarily splurge on lipglosses from 2 brands. When I say splurge, I mean SPLURGE. The two brands that can almost do no wrong for me in terms of gloss are Dior and Guerlain. I don’t even look at other brands anymore. Yeah I know, I’m spoilt! But I have a secret – I used to buy them in multiples at the warehouse sale (which is where I first discovered them) I don’t think the sales happen much anymore (or at all). Pity. I could do with more hehe…

dior addict gloss2 My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

A couple of years ago, Dior revamped their Addict Gloss line which I shared here. Earlier this year, the Addict Gloss line once again got a revamp. The 3 textures remain – Shimmer (used to be Flash – sparkly glitter), Pearly (used to be Pearl – pearlescent shimmer) and Pure (used to be Glow – creamy with no shimmer) – but the new formula in the new 24 couture shades available now promise a mirror shine to lips, while plumping and volumizing lips.

I’ll give you some quick side by side comparisons of the few colours I have, so you have an idea how they look and have an idea of which texture you might prefer. I like 2 of them better than the other so take a look at the colours above, see if can guess which I might be less enthusiastic about? icon wink My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

The packaging for the Dior Addict Gloss Mirror Shine Volume & Care remain the same. The applicator is a brush which I love. I love brush applicators for lipgloss. It just works better for me, and I can get a better, stronger coloured finish on my lips.

There are 24 shades available in the collection ranging from the palest of pinks to the deepest of reds, but these are lip glosses, mind, so don’t expect crazy pigment. They tint lips with a shiny glow of colour, but not much more.

dior addict gloss3 My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

You can see the different textures in tube. Delice (433) and Diablotine (643) at the top are significantly sparkly in tube. Dormeuse (363) is a creamy pink while Premiere Soiree (153) is a pearly pink.

Delice and Diablotine have matching Addict Extreme lipsticks and you may remember I featured the Addict Extreme in Delice here. The lipstick is a lovely pigmented coral. The gloss however, is a sheerer sparkly coral-orange. It reminds me quite of Orange Pareo from last summer.

dior addict gloss5 My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

I’m thinking of getting the Diablotine lipstick but it’s been out of stock every single time I go to the counter. What’s this, people? I thought no one liked wearing red lipstick?! icon razz My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine So I haven’t been able to get my mitts on Diablotine lipstick yet. I did however, get the gloss which in tube, is a lovely sparkly warmed red. Applied, it is more transparent but still sparkly and tints lips a lovely red. Not too strong, if you are afraid of wearing red… which judging by the public reaction to the lipstick, no one is!

dior addict gloss6 My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

Premiere Soiree is a pearly pink and is my least favourite. (Pat yourself on the back if you got it right!) I find the pearly shimmer very artificial and frosty and on my lips, Premiere Soiree makes me look ill. Perhaps a brighter colour then? I don’t hold out much hope. I swatched a bunch of them at the counter and didn’t like any of them.

Dormeuse comes in the Pure textures, which is a creamy no shimmer gloss. I happen to love Dior’s no-shimmer glosses. I have one in my daily touch up pouch that I’m trying desperately to finish up. Dormeuse is a creamy pink, and is surprisingly lovely on my pigmented lips. It doesn’t look over done yet gives your puckers a lovely shine. Perfect for officewear if you are in a conservative office that frowns on shimmer and sparkle icon wink My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

dior addict gloss My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

Dior Addict Gloss Mirror Shine swatches (1) Dormeuse 363 (2) Premiere Soiree 153 (3) Diablotine 643 (4) Delice 433

My favourite colours of the 4 here are Dormeuse and Diablotine. I call them my naughty and nice lipglosses – pretty self-explanatory which is which yes? icon wink My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

And here they are on lips. I have quite pigmented lips so the colours don’t quite turn out as they look on my arm.

dior addict gloss new My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

You can probably tell that Premiere Soiree is the least flattering, while the other 3 shades work. Delice isn’t as intense a coral as the lipstick is, but it is very pretty when you apply it over the matching lipstick. Really makes your lips pop. Also, despite all that shimmer and sparkle in Delice and Diablotine, it doesn’t feel rough or glittery on lips. You know you can feel the grittiness when you rub your lips together with some sparkly lipglosses? I hate that feeling, don’t you? This being Dior, they got it right.

dior addict gloss fotd My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

I’m wearing Diablotine in this full face shot. I thought I’d show you this one because despite the brightness of the colour in the tube, it isn’t as bright when worn. I am on this crusade to make people wear brighter lip shades (It brightens up your faces – try it if you don’t believe me!) so if you are afraid of wearing bright shades, try a lipgloss like this one icon smile My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

In a nutshell

Dior revamped their Addict Gloss line earlier this year (2013) and made their glosses have a higher shine and hydration factor so lips look volumised and plumped.  There are 3 textures to suit different styles, from the demure Pure that have no shimmer or shine to the flashy Shimmer infused with lots of shimmer. The texture remains the same – non sticky and non drying. The colour lasts as well as a lipgloss does, and gives lips a glossy pout. I’ve always been a fan so I love these.

Pros: Nice selection of colours, High shine, Not drying, Not sticky, Brush applicator is easy to use and to layer colour, Lips look plumped and feel hydrated

Cons: Pricey, The pale colours may not flatter everyone nor show up on lips

Who will like this: Anyone who doesn’t like sticky lip glosses

Are you a fan of lipgloss? Have you tried any of the Dior Addict Glosses?

I’ve never been a fan of lipglosses because my experiences with them were poor – sticky and goopy were how I’d describe them. MAC lipglass *cringe!* Hate it! I’m eyeing a couple more of Dior’s brighter gloss shades. Some of the reds are pretty! Which texture grabs you of the 3 featured here? icon smile My favourite Dior Addict Gloss gets a makeover and a lip plumping mirror shine

Dior Addict Gloss come in 3 textures and 24 colors Price: RM95 Availability: Dior counters

Disclosure: Premiere Soiree and Dormeuse were provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

LeGeeque September 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

Sorry, I’m just not sold on sheer colours. I’m at a phase where I can’t be bothered doing much makeup. As long as my skin is evened out (tinted moisturisers FTW) and there’s concealer on my undereyes, I’m happy. So, to add a bit more colour to my face, I usually go for a strong lip because I should AT LEAST have that. Does this range come in more pigmented colours I could explore? :D

September 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Haha it’s a gloss ma, hence the sheerness :) I like these for the gloss factor. They give me that tint of colour I need when I don’t want to care (which is increasingly common nowadays) >.< But a strong lip is always a good thing for lazy days. Some of the shades are a little more pigmented. There’s a couple of red shades I’m planning to check out that have more colour in them. Just skip the light ones :)

liyeun September 23, 2013 at 9:20 am

I was a lip gloss girl when I was younger until I find them too sticky as I have longer hair now (yes, I was a tomboy till I met my husband, hahaha). So, I have always liked lipgloss from Bobbi Brown and Clarins since both never dry my poor chapped lips out. Still love both the brands for its lip gloss and I cant find love for Dior’s. Not only is Dior’s not pigmented, but the shades available just dont do it for me. I think one day I should try the Guerlain’s instead. I saw many on the counter and then got distracted by its lipsticks!!! Hahaha

September 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I think you’ll like the new Guerlain ones. They are very well pigmented. Almost too well pigmented haha! But I never found love for Bobbi Brown glosses (goopy and their brush splays like crazy!) and I’ve never tried Clarins glosses.

Victoria September 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

Diablotine really looks lovely on you. Never been a fan of lip gloss because my long hair always gets caught on my lips. LOL. Plus they usually are too sheer for my liking. But I do like lipsticks that are a combination of lip gloss and lipstick like Dior Addict and Dior Addict Extreme :-)

September 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thanks Victoria and I think this is one of the boons of not having long hair LOL! I hated wearing gloss too when my hair was longer but now I get away with most of it! ;) That said, it would be a drastic thing to recommend – cutting off your hair so you can wear gloss haha ;)

kassie September 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

First of all great photos, love how amazing they look, and loving the chain of pearls for a little design. These lip glosses look super luxe and amazing, I like all of them.*
kassie recently blogged…Stila Eyeshadow Trio in DaybreakMy Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thank you Kassie :D I had a great time photographing these and it was so hard to choose them in the end! They are lovely, just a little sheer so it depends on what you prefer in terms of a gloss :)

Beauty Box September 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I’m a big fan of Dior Addict lip glosses too!! They are so awesome and love the brush applicator. I love how all the shades look on you. I’ll have to note them down and check them out at the counter. Haha – “a crusade” to get more folks to wear bright lip colours – yessss. I was all about bright lippies this summer. I hardly touched my nude/pink lip products.
Beauty Box recently blogged…Addiction As DistractionMy Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Oh let’s have a high 5 here! I love brush applicators in glosses. They just make my life so much easier and apply colour and shine better, in my view. I think more people should wear brighter lip colours. Not necessarily a BRIGHT RED, but people have to realise that not everyone looks good in a blocked out nude lip >.<

gio September 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’m not a big fan of sheer glosses. They usually all look very similar to me. But I like Diablotine, it’s very pretty on you.
gio recently blogged…Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.90My Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

You’re absolutely right, Gio which is why when it’s a sheer gloss, I highly recommend going for a brighter shade. It looks better :D

September 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I’ve never liked lip glosses until I tried Dior’s! If I were to buy a gloss, I’d only look at Dior’s. I’d use lipsticks for opaque colours so the sheerness never bothered me. Actually, I find Dior glosses to be much more pigmented than the Japanese ones which I never waste my time on – most of them look the same when worn >_<
Lily recently blogged…Sunday Stash Shopping #13My Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Haha sounds a lot like me! Dior’s glosses totally turned me around (and spoilt me to bits!) You could try Guerlain’s too. Very good too and more pigmented for days when you want a bit more colour :)

Sunny
September 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hey Paris, I’m not big on glosses either, but I actually do like these! When it comes to lip glosses, I do like some shimmer. Diablotine is quite a sweet shade!
Sunny recently blogged…Fendi L’AcquarossaMy Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Diablotine would be fab on you Sunny! And I read the good news – congratulations! :D

Sunny
September 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Thanks, Paris! My mom is already on my back about picking a date and all that. So glad we don’t actually live in the same country LOL
Sunny recently blogged…Coral Novices Might Like Bobbi Brown Pink Coral Blush!My Profile

September 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm

LOL! I can just imagine how excited your family must be! :D Probably a good thing to just let your Mom handle the Taiwan section :D

Sunny
September 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Oh gosh no we’re doing this ONCE here in Belgium. SMALL too because three big things in three different countries will probably kill our marriage before it even starts properly LOL

September 27, 2013 at 10:04 am

LOL! Smart move Sunny! Minimise all the stress and go through it just once :D

lisa September 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m not into lip gloss these days, I wonder why. I used to be so into lip gloss in my 20s. Used to have at least 30 in my stash. I currently have only two. One clear and one with glitters. My trusty Chanel’s for now. You are right about the glitter part. Gritty lip gloss is just so not nice. Somehow, brands like Dior etc does glitters so nicely. Not only there’s no gritty feeling but the glitter are not too girlish or rather…’distracting’ on ‘older’ women like me too. It’s just so right somehow. I don’t bother to check out other brands anymore either.

September 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Psst! You’re growing up Lisa! You’re a big girl now and can wear lipstick! haha… But I know what you mean. I much prefer wearing lipstick so it takes a lot for me to put on a lipgloss. It mustn’t make me look like I’m 15 and I can’t abide by goopy glitter >.<

Rin September 23, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Hello Paris~ I like Diablotine the most! The brighter, the better! :D I used to be a huuuge fan of lipglosses when I was younger. Since 5 years ago… no more huge a fan of them. I am a lipstick princess now :) I still wear lipglosses but very rare, hehe.

September 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Hi Rin! Yay – yes to brighter and better lips haha! I like the term “Lipstick Princess” Congratulations, girl. You’re all grown up now :)

Leonard goh September 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I think people who wear lip gloss should use it over a lipstick or a stain , never use it alone. Lip gloss pigment are just not strong enough :)

September 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Well, unless they are pigmented glosses ;) Sometimes a nice gloss evens out lip tone which is like how a BB Cream would function, and adds some healthy colour and shine without the seriousness of a lipstick. But sometimes, I do wonder why I even bother LOL

Larie September 24, 2013 at 12:05 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE. I’d skip the pale pink pearly one, too, though. I have Bed of Roses and Paradise, and I want Spring Ball, Delice, and one of the darker shades. THEY WILL ALL BE MINE, PARISSSSSS. BWAHAHAHAHA.
Larie recently blogged…Testing, Testing: Four Mineral Sunscreens For All-Over Body Sun ProtectionMy Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm

You sound like me, Larie! My preciousssssss :D

Tracy September 24, 2013 at 12:51 am

They are all pretty! I like them all on you haha! I’ve never tried one of their glosses believe it. I’m not a huge gloss fan so the price of them just doesn’t justify buying it. But everyone loves them so much that I think I’ll have to cave in at some point!
Tracy recently blogged…Avon Elements Cleansers Will Make You Want To Sing Edelweiss!My Profile

September 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Oh Tracy, you may have to remedy this ASAP! :D But I think you may prefer the Guerlain ones ;)

S. Drama&Makeup September 24, 2013 at 2:53 am

I rarely use gloss lately! But I own a Dior gloss that I really like, if I ever buy more of them I may look in the new range.
Diablotine is my favorite, it looks great on you.

September 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm

It sounds like so many of us are not into gloss lately – must be in the lipstick transition phase ;) There’s another lovely red that’s more pigmented too although I can’t remember the name. Still, worth checking out!

PositivelyNice September 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I LOVE these too! My favourite one is a bright, hot pink/fuchsia, that came out in last year’s summer collection.
PositivelyNice recently blogged…Purple Candle from Bangkok – How to remove candle wax to get the jarMy Profile

September 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Oh yum! That sounds like a fab shade for a fab formula! :D

Leila September 25, 2013 at 7:44 am

How funny, my two favourite lip gloss brands are Guerlain and Dior too! I love the brush applicators, it means I don’t have to constantly dip, also they are nice for the rare occasions I want to layer gloss over lipstick. I don’t generally like shimmers in my lip products although if it isn’t full-on, I don’t mind making some exceptions. Guerlain’s newest glosses are quite lovely too, very lightweight.

Besides those two, I also really like Chanel’s Extrait de Gloss line, pity they don’t add more releases to it though, it’s been so neglected since it was released. On the rare occasion they do add a colour or two (always limited edition, I might add) it has shimmer. I don’t know why when the Glossimers are so good at shimmer anyway the EdT is great without it.

I’ve been meaning to pick up Dormeuse for a while now, seems like a wearable pale lip, well it’s about as pale as I’m willing to go! It looks pretty on you. That and Diabolitine are my favourites on you.

September 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Great minds, Leila, and good taste! :D Dormeuse was surprisingly pretty. I don’t usually do pinks, but this was a good one. Maybe the creamy non shimmer formula helped. I find that a brush applicator holds more product and enables me to apply it with greater intensity than a sponge applicator does. I never quite got into the Chanel glosses. I found them too thick, like it was a layer on my lips? I know many people love them though. I used to have the Glossimers but boy! Talk about shimmer! You could see my lips coming from a mile away :P

Leila September 29, 2013 at 4:59 am

Oh my, the shimmer in Glossimers is pretty full-on, isn’t it? They definitely do feel thick and I don’t have many, they were just the first high-end gloss I got into. I don’t really buy them anymore and when I did, it was mostly the shimmerless or pearly ones.

The Extrait de Gloss (oops, incorrectly abbreviated as EdT above! *blush*) feels much nicer than the Glossimers to me and is long-lasting on me. I adore Emoi as it’s an easy red and these colours are very natural on me. The packaging, oh the packaging is just luxe! I might even try Diabolitine as it doesn’t look too shimmery on you, which is a concern of mine. Oh but I still have Rouge Croisiere as my red from last summer’s Summer Mix. Maybe it would be sensible to hold back and save for the winter collections, I’ve been much better about that recently ?

September 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Oh yes, I had one or maybe 2 Glossimers. I don’t know what I was thinking haha! Maybe being younger does make one more foolish or fool hardy :P There are some other Addict Glosses that don’t have shimmer at all but very lovely jelly shine. You might like those ;) That said, these are permanent so bide your time!

Leila October 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

Well I suppose at least I’m still in an appropriate stage to wear glittery, gliterry Glossimers. I like to reach for my few when the mood strikes (and the occasion is appropriate i.e. not conservative), but more often than not, I prefer the major shimmer to be on the eyes. For lips, I just like jelly for gloss.

You had to say jelly! That’s why I love the shimmerless Dior glosses, not enough of them in my opinion. Diabolitine (thankfully it’s permanent) just might become mine though, after the Christmas damage is done. Then it’ll match it’s polish sister I haven’t worn yet (oh dear, that sounds like a rather bad joke!)

October 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Jelly gloss! Haha like you I love that jelly texture that is only really present in a good quality clear gloss. You’re right, Dior makes good ones but they could make more! ;) I haven’t seen what’s available for Christmas this year but I know I’m safe from Guerlain haha! Oh and Diablotine polish is pretty! If I wore polishes, I’d so get it!

Jamie September 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

Ooh, for once you haven’t sent me running to the Dior counter with a Dior post … but that’s because I beat you to it. Tee hee. I bought Diablotine last month and it is a lovely, lovely colour but unfortunately only in the Addict line which oddly is goes on peachy-red me – a very flattering colour and yup, does brighten up the face! Diablotine in Addict Extreme on the other hand is a little too pinkish-red for me and pink don’t do so good on me. Weird how a little change in formulas can change a single colour quite subtly. I’ve yet to try the new lipgloss yet but I suspect they are awesome.
Jamie recently blogged…what I think of men who use CK EncounterMy Profile

September 27, 2013 at 10:22 am

Haha you must have beat me to getting Diablotine! I don’t seem to have any luck at all. I’m serious. Everytime I go to the counter, I’m told it’s sold out because its so popular. Here I am thinking “Erm… but everyone seems to be so scared of red lips!” Now I know where at least one went ;) Glad you’re liking it – it certainly looks like a fab shade to have… well, once I get my hands on it that is :P

Jamie September 28, 2013 at 10:02 am

Well, I could always skip to my nearest Dior counter and get you one. Apparently Ipoh people don’t Dior much. Tee hee. Lemme know and I’ll go get it and post it to ya!
Jamie recently blogged…creative friday! of sorts – chapter 2 part 1My Profile

September 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Aww thank you so much for the offer, Jamie! I didn’t realise you were in Ipoh :D I’ll keep a lookout here first – don’t want to trouble you unnecessarily when it’s not quite a matter of life and death ;)

Jamie October 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm

No trouble at all – it gives me an excuse to go visit my Dior consultant and then sneak off and test all the lovely Dior products :-p Just gimme a holler!
Jamie recently blogged…mixing and matching the l’oréal nutri-shimmer shampoo & nutri-sleek conditioner with fingers and toes crossedMy Profile

October 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Will do, thanks for the offer! ;)