Adding shine to your hair with the L’Oreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle D’or Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

in Hair,New on shelves,Product Reviews

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On September 27, 2013
Last modified:September 27, 2013

Summary:

I thought I was seeing things the day I held up the L’Oreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle D’or Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner and saw sparkling shimmer winking back at me under the lights. Sparklies in a shampoo? Why?!

loreal mythic sparkling2 Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

See? The very fine shimmer is suspended in the transparent shampoo and translucent conditioner. It so intrigued me I had to use it and see if it left me with a head of sparkly golden hair – wouldn’t that be a treat? icon razz Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

This silicone and paraben free pair of hair care products are new additions to the popular Mythic Oil range. I have never tried the original Mythic Oil nor it’s complementary products but reviews have been very good. Kept meaning to try, but you know, when you have hair as short as mine, you tend to care a little less about how it looks. At least I do. With my short hair, I just use any old shampoo and conditioner and I haven’t even been using any hair treatments. Saves me a lot of money icon razz Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

But you know, I was quite impressed by the Mythic Oil Souffle d’or shampoo and conditioner. The Argan and Safflower Oil infused shampoo and conditioner left me with floppy hair (floppy hair for me, is a good thing!). Suddenly I realised that my hair didn’t have to feel stiff as wire all the time! Oh and the shimmer bits? Do I end up with a glittering head?

Sadly no you don’t. The golden shimmer washes out of your hair. Boo! icon razz Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner What fun it would have been otherwise!

loreal mythic sparkling3 Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

The Sparkling Conditioner is translucent, which is something quite different. L’Oreal Professional say they are the first in the world to introduce a clear conditioner which might be true. Most conditioners have an opaque creamy texture, while this one is translucent. I don’t agree with the word “clear” because it isn’t clear the way the shampoo is clear. Semantics icon razz Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

loreal mythic sparkling Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

Here’s a close up of the products. The top blob is the Sparkling Shampoo, which is clear and infused with LOADS of golden shimmer. The bottom blob is the Sparkling Conditioner which has less golden shimmer infused in it.

What I found is that you don’t need very much product for the Sparkling Shampoo because it lathers up very nicely with very little. I have short hair, so I use just a dollop, not even half a pump. If you have longer hair, use half to a full pump. It washes out clean, without making my hair feel squeaky clean, nor dry or tangled. Very nice.

The Sparkling Conditioner doesn’t have the regular slippery feel of conditioners, but then it’s because it contains no silicone. It feels just like a thicker version of the shampoo and I leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse out.

loreal mythic sparkling4 Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

What I realised after using this for about a week (I wash my hair daily) is that my hair lost its wire-feel. I have hair with lots of volume and which is prone to dryness. At one time, before I broke this set out, my Mom actually asked me why my hair looked so dull and felt so hard. I never really noticed it, because I don’t do very much with my hair, but it did make me sit up and notice.

Also, I was using that Redken Diamond Oil shampoo and conditioner which left my hair feeling like wire and I hated that! My hair was actually starting to kink and stick out, and that only happens when my hair is very dry. This Mythic Oil Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner gave me floppy hair, the way it was meant to be and I love it. I still don’t see the point of the golden shimmer in the product. I think it would have performed as well without the shimmer, which is just superfluous. Pretty, but superfluous.

In a nutshell

The L’Oreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle D’or Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner are new products in the Mythic Oil range. The clear shampoo and clear conditioner are infused with minute golden shimmer which I find superfluous as they don’t add to its functionality, and washes out. Otherwise, I really like both these products. My hair has benefited from using it and is now softer, not dry, and feels better. Both products are paraben and silicone free which should please many.

Pros: Softens my hard and dry hair, Makes my hair more manageable without losing volume, Does not weigh down hair, Silicone and paraben free

Cons: Pricey, Golden shimmer doesn’t serve any purpose except to look pretty

Who will like this: Anyone who is looking for paraben free and silicone free shampoo and conditioner, Anyone who has dull, hard and dry hair that needs softening

Here are the ingredient lists for both the Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

loreal mythic sparkling ingredients Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner

It says on the bottle that this shampoo and conditioner will suit all hair types. I’m not sure about those with oily or limp hair, but if you have dry, coarse, kinky hair (not THAT sort of kinky, please! icon razz Adding shine to your hair with the LOreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle Dor Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner ) then give this a try. I love it!

Do you get what the golden shimmer is for? Have you used the L’Oreal Professional Mythic Oil or any other Mythic Oil products before?

I still don’t get the purpose of the shimmer. It looks pretty, but serves no purpose. Rather like.. ok I’d rather not say LOL! I haven’t used other Mythic Oil products but I’ve heard the oil is an excellent dupe for the Kerastase Elixir Ultime and I love that one!

L’Oreal Professional Mythic Oil Souffle D’or Sparkling Shampoo and Sparkling Conditioner is currently available as a coffret set Price: RM96 per set (free deluxe sample of Mythic Oil while stocks last!) Availability: All L’Oreal Professional hair salons

Disclosure: Featured products were provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

rudi September 27, 2013 at 11:08 am

I use the Mythic Oil for coloured hair and LOVE it, leaves my hair soft n shiny without any oily heavy feel.

Got it on recommendation of friends and never looked back.

My hair is very fine yet prone to be dry n wire-like if wrong shampoo is used. Currently using Human Nature strengthening shampoo, thanks to you, and it suits my hair great.

If i use moisturising shampoo, my hair turns limp and floppy instead so i think this new shampoo will be a no-no for me.

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’ve heard so much about the Mythic Oil too! Still haven’t had the urge to try it coz on short hair like mine, I just don’t see much point. Human Nature hair care is great isn’t it? So affordable too! :)

rudi September 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Honestly, i don’t think Human Nature shampoo is cheap but for its results, the price is still acceptable.

My hair is so finicky, even the Human Nature moisturising shampoo leaves it bit limp and lifeless but less so than other shampoos.

I hauled several bottles from Manila few months ago.

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Well, not cheap-cheap but definitely affordable :) Sorry to hear you have troublesome hair. I guess I really should count myself lucky I don’t have limp hair. One of life’s little blessings! Oh and it should be cheaper in Manila won’t it? :D

rudi September 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

Plus this has the dreaded SLS !!!

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

Yeah, some people hate that in their bath products :)

Victoria September 27, 2013 at 11:25 am

I heard a lot of raves about the Mythic shampoo, conditioner and serum and I am thinking about purchasing it. When you say this leaves your hair floppy, does that mean smooth and shiny?

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

Haha sorry Victoria. Floppy is such an inelegant word choice! :P But what I meant is that my hair becomes softer and not stiff nor tangled. My fringe area will actually flop as opposed to sticking out in 20 different directions, which for me when my hair gets wiry is a very good thing. I won’t attest to it being shiny but it does smoothen out :) I read that with purchase of this set, you get a free Mythic Oil sample, so that’s a good time to try it ;)

Victoria September 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

Okie, thanks for the explanation :-) Do you think this range is any different from the original?

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Haven’t tried the original, I’m afraid :( Maybe the texture and sparkles? It’s supposed to have a lighter formula

Ting September 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm

So there’s no sparkle left in your hair after rinsing? Darn. What’s the point, as you said? Warming the ladies up for the Christmas festival already?? :)

It looks interesting though. May have to see if my hairdresser stocks it. :)

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Nope, no sparkle, but nice manageable hair. I just don’t see the point of adding the sparkles if it was all washing out you know :P Like waste of resources and probably adds to the price :P

S. Drama&Makeup September 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

The three year old little girl in me wants this just because it’s shimmery hahaha
I’m going to look out for this range, I think it may work well with my hair: I hate products that leave my hair super heavy, when I use them feel like washing again straight after I’ve dried them.

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Everyone’s 3 year old is holding up their hands going “Please!” haha… This doesn’t leave hair heavy at all. Feels quite light even, which is nice because it makes it manageable. I think it’s just been launched so it should be out at a salon near you ;)

Sze Ling September 27, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I love the Elixir Ultime too! Now I’m intrigued by the mythic oil. My wallet would be happy if its an exact dupe. :)

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I have read that it is, and many people love Mythic Oil so I think it’s definitely worth taking a look. I haven’t tried it for myself so no comments on that score!

Jay September 27, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I have a haircare question unrelated to this review. I hope u can indulge me a bit :)

I’m a guy and I have pretty much the same type of hair as u. I very thick very straight very coarse Asian hair with a lot of volume. The type that is gravity defying when short. Becomes a straight hair afro. I been trying shampoos (L’Oreal Smooth Intense and Tsubaki Shining) that claim to smooth n soften hair but they ended up weighing down my hair. By noon my hair feels oily. I then tried a stronger shampoo (Asience Nature Smooth) for oily hair but this just made my hair dry and like hay. I also tried Tresemme Moisture Rich shampoo but this one too dried out my hair.

I seldom use conditioners because they tend to weigh down my hair and doesn’t go too well with d styling wax that i use daily. Im just looking for a shampoo that doesn’t weigh down my hair but at the same time doesn’t dry out my hair. Something cheaper from the drug store would be good as I tend to use a lot of shampoo to wash out all the wax.

Paris B September 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Sure thing Jay :) I personally find the 3 shampoos you mentioned did nothing for my hair. The Ascience was the worst because my hair totally dried out and turned into hay. Horrible. Tsubaki gave me an itchy scalp, Tresemme gave me acne and I don’t even remember the L’Oreal one because it was mediocre I think haha! I did find that the L’Oreal Everstrong shampoo was quite nice. I could use it alone without a conditioner most of the time. My tube is almost ready to be binned. It can make hair feel a little stiff after a while, so I find that a bit of hair treatment helps. The Aesop Classic Shampoo is quite light too but I definitely need a conditioner with that one.

In my case, if my hair feels a little stiff after a while, I’ll treat it with some oil. I use the Kerastase Elixir Ultime but you can use any oil e.g. argan oil which can be easily bought and can be quite affordable. Just rub a little into your hair and leave it overnight and it softens my hair. That said, I have found that guy’s hair do react differently. A hair oil is probably your best bet and if you want something that really relaxes the hair, I’d say Kerastase Oleo Relax. Not cheap but leaves hair lovely and soft :)

rudi September 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm

jay,

i have Human Nature moisturising shampoo which does not suit me.

If you are not a million miles away, you can firstly, have some to try and if it suits your hair needs, the rest of the bottle is yours.

not sure how to get in touch with you – dear PB, i dont mind if you pass my email to him for this purpose.

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hi Rudi, thank you for being so generous! I’ll drop him a line and let him know to contact you :)

Vivien September 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for sharing! I love oil shampoos, my hair is always parched which is why I use oils a lot to hydrate. I definitely wanted to try this! I’m currently using argan oil shampoo and conditioner by Pro Naturals which is VERY good and it’s silicone and sodium free which is more moisturizing.

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hi Vivien, this is my first time using such a shampoo and it’s really amazing! Glad to know there are others in the market. Where do you usually get your Pro Naturals?

Cynthia September 28, 2013 at 12:27 am

I like the Loreal Mythic oil. It leaves my hair so soft. Couldn’t find any shampoo that make my hair feep soft yet :(

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Cynthia! I haven’t tried the actual Mythic Oil oil yet haha but it sounds so promising, especially after I’ve experienced how nice the shampoo and conditioner is for my hair! Have you tried this one yet?

Jamie September 28, 2013 at 10:06 am

Oh no … another dangerous post especially when I’m out of shampoo and conditioner now and you wrote the magic words “softens hard and dry hair”. Well, not too sure how it’s gonna work out on my witches’ broomstick hair type but oh well, the sparklies would be pretty. I wonder how the smell is like though …

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

LOL Yes it does, you know! I used it for a week and my hair stopped standing up on its own. I actually have to use a wax now! *gasp* LOL I hope it works for you if you try it. It smells a little musky and light, but nothing unpleasant.

Sher Lynn September 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

Ooooo… My hair is starting to dry out cuz I haven’t been for a treatment in months n the daily blow drying!! Plus, my current conditioner does nothing for my hair :(

Been wanting to try the mythic oil range for quite some time now. this post definitely convinced me to now! :D

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm

It sounds like you need an at-home treatment ;) I find these hair oil thingies really do help a lot to soften hair. I haven’t tried the actual Mythic Oil yet but if it’s anything like the shampoo and conditioner, I’d say it’s great!

Peggy September 28, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I use its oil on myself & my 9m old baby and its non sticky leaves her hair soft …she has natural curls *^_^* its paraben and alcohol free

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Aww thanks for sharing Peggy! I’m sure the little one doesn’t need it but that’s such a pampering treat!

Peggy September 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm

lol…. she has very thick hair
it looks frizzy without hair oil
b4 this nanny applied baby oil but its very oily and looked dirty

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Aww thick hair on a baby is so cute! :) My little nephew has so little haha! Glad to know the Mythic Oil is working its magic on the little one too :D

Jamie November 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I finally caved and bought me a set – the original one. Must try it on my kiddo’s hair this weekend and see if her wired hair (genetically my fault) magically transforms into locks of silk. Hehe.

peggy November 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm

hi Jamie…i’m pretty sure it works on your daughter’s hair
maybe u can upgrade to Kerastase Elixir Oil too :P

Beauty Box September 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I’d love to try this… I’m a big fan of non-silicone haircare. The sparkles seem like a marketing gimmick but then I do like buying products like look attractive.

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Oh yes, definitely marketing gimmick, but very pretty especially in your shower :D

Swati September 28, 2013 at 3:11 pm

i didn’t pick this up because i saw sls in it :( so, would it be good to pick up a treatment of this range??? a salon near my house has these products and i would probably anyway need some pampering now :)

Paris B September 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, the SLS debate is still quite alive out there :) Doesn’t bug me but I suppose it’s one of those things. The oil treatment itself seems to be very popular although I’ve never tried it for myself. I’d say you were due some pampering before the wedding indeed! :)

liyeun September 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Paris, I am sorry but I need to understand this. Why is it everyone is avoiding SLS? What does it really do, is it really harmful? I mean, I remember using shampoo with it when I was young and have used many years but I do not get it. I have used gentle shampoos without SLS but they just do the same. I just dont see much difference?

Paris B October 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

Well there’s people saying that SLS is bad for you and can give cancer etc (as does everything else) so some people avoid it. I shared some thoughts on SLS a while ago here if you’d like to take a read :) I’m not personally very particular about them. In fact coconut derivatives wreck havoc on my skin! It’s basically what gives us the foam in our foaming products and from a practical point of view, can be drying to skin.

liyeun October 1, 2013 at 11:37 am

Oh ok thanks for your reply, paris!^^
If cancer is the main reason, I personally think that unless u have never been exposed to SLS since the day you were born, then it is understandable to not use it to avoid having cancer. I mean, many things lead to cancer too and I am not too sure if using SLS on our heads could really lead to brain tumour, etc (touch wood)…. but for precaution, I have 2 shampoos. One without SLS and one with it. I think everything must have a balance, hehehe

Paris B October 1, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Very good points Liyeun and something I agree with 100%! We just never know what will happen or what might trigger a problem. I don’t even subscribe to the organic lifestyle :P such a sacrilegious statement eh?