Oh hello there, its been a while since we’ve had a Scrumptious Saturday!
Today’s something very quick and easy that I whipped up for a pot luck party one day. There was a vegetarian in our midst and I didn’t feel right preparing something that had meat in it, so I looked around for an easy and quick vegetarian recipe that I could prepare ahead and still have it keep. My search yielded me an easy no-cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wrap. Turned out to be quite a hit! It surprised me because a) I’m not very good at making anything vegetarian and b) this was my first time making it!
The best part is that this is a no-cook recipe and you can have it chilled so you can prepare it ahead and it makes for good lunchbox meals at the desk too. I adapted it from a Martha Stewart recipe so you can get the full recipe here or my version here
What you need:-
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Chilli Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes
- Lettuce leaves shredded
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Tortilla or flavoured wraps of choice
- Mash the kidney beans in a bowl, adding olive oil, chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Warm up a piece of tortilla or wrap on a flat pan.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of bean mixture on the middle of the wrap.
- Top with shredded lettuce leaves, cheese and tomato.
- Fold in the sides, then roll over to form a cylinder. Slice in half to serve.
- If you like, you can heat it on a pan to slightly melt the cheese and toast the outside of the wrap before serving
Heating it up is about the only cooking you will do and you only need to do it if you want to. How’s that for simple
The bean mixture has a surprisingly meaty flavour to it and the slight spiciness from the chilli powder makes it quite interesting. I think this is also good for picnics because its basically a portable salad that you can eat without using a fork, and you can have it cold.
If I’m feeling a little extravagant, I add on a piece of chicken tenders for a heartier meal. But its great for quick dinners and for those hot days when cooking feels just like too much work.
Have you tried anything like this?
I’ve made it twice since with good results as well. I quite enjoy eating it too, which surprises me because I’m a right carnivore but some vegetarian recipes do work
Scrumptious Saturday: One day of the week where I indulge in my other love – Food! It will feature my cooking experiments or eating and travel adventures. Yes, I will travel for good food and I’m always experimenting in the kitchen.