Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No-Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

in Food & Lifestyle

Oh hello there, its been a while since we’ve had a Scrumptious Saturday!

vege wraps2 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

Today’s something very quick and easy that I whipped up for a pot luck party one day. There was a vegetarian in our midst and I didn’t feel right preparing something that had meat in it, so I looked around for an easy and quick vegetarian recipe that I could prepare ahead and still have it keep. My search yielded me an easy no-cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wrap. Turned out to be quite a hit! It surprised me because a) I’m not very good at making anything vegetarian and b) this was my first time making it!

The best part is that this is a no-cook recipe and you can have it chilled so you can prepare it ahead and it makes for good lunchbox meals at the desk too. I adapted it from a Martha Stewart recipe so you can get the full recipe here or my version here icon smile Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

What you need:-

• 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • Olive oil
  • Chilli Powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Lettuce leaves shredded
  • Grated cheddar cheese
  • Tortilla or flavoured wraps of choice

How to:-

• Mash the kidney beans in a bowl, adding olive oil, chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste
  • Warm up a piece of tortilla or wrap on a flat pan.
  • Place 1-2 tablespoons of bean mixture on the middle of the wrap.
  • Top with shredded lettuce leaves, cheese and tomato.
  • Fold in the sides, then roll over to form a cylinder. Slice in half to serve.
  • If you like, you can heat it on a pan to slightly melt the cheese and toast the outside of the wrap before serving

vege wraps3 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

Heating it up is about the only cooking you will do and you only need to do it if you want to. How’s that for simple icon biggrin Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

The bean mixture has a surprisingly meaty flavour to it and the slight spiciness from the chilli powder makes it quite interesting. I think this is also good for picnics because its basically a portable salad that you can eat without using a fork, and you can have it cold.

If I’m feeling a little extravagant, I add on a piece of chicken tenders for a heartier meal. But its great for quick dinners and for those hot days when cooking feels just like too much work.

Have you tried anything like this?

I’ve made it twice since with good results as well. I quite enjoy eating it too, which surprises me because I’m a right carnivore but some vegetarian recipes do work icon smile Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 27 : Healthy No Cook Vegetarian Taco Salad Wraps

Scrumptious Saturday: One day of the week where I indulge in my other love – Food! It will feature my cooking experiments or eating and travel adventures. Yes, I will travel for good food and I’m always experimenting in the kitchen.

Firn July 20, 2013 at 10:10 am

Ooh, this looks nice! I would do a variation with edamame and some scrambled eggs thrown in. Thanks for the idea!

July 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Mmm that sounds absolutely delicious too! I love having wraps – your imagination is your limit! ;)

AnT July 20, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Wowwwwww! Delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us ^_^

Have a blessed weekend! :D

July 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Yep! It was! ;) Enjoy your weekend too AnT!

Swati
July 20, 2013 at 2:28 pm

thanks for a veggie recipe, Paris…this does taste really yummy! we make this ocassionally with left over chapatis which is indian bread made of wheat dough.
Swati recently blogged…From the Archives : Hair Tips for Monsoon {Hair Care}My Profile

July 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Oh yummy! I love chapati! :D I have them with lots of chunky dhal or chicken curry and they’re so healthy!

Tammy July 20, 2013 at 4:08 pm

This looks so simple and so good!!

July 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Perfect for a hot summer’s evening! ;)

Catherine July 20, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I was buying wraps often before. Its very easy to do and good alternative for baguette. I usually add chicken inside though :D For vegetarian one I would try to add eggplants as I personally love them! I have to look for wraps and get some :D

July 21, 2013 at 6:59 pm

You’re right Catherine. Its makes a much lighter meal than eating a baguette (although I love baguettes in Paris! So amazingly good even at the expensive booths under the Eiffel Tower :P ) I usually add chicken too – makes it a heartier meal

Ting July 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

Helloo Catherine! I love eggplants too! Could you share how you would prepare them for wraps? :) Thank you thank you!

Jyoan July 20, 2013 at 11:40 pm

It looks so much like Starbucks wraps. This shows you’re a great chef! Good enough to make something look like commercial product. =D
Jyoan recently blogged…One Old, One New – M.A.C 217, and M.A.C 224| Will you buy an exact same brush?My Profile

July 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Haha thank you! Sometimes, food can look better than they taste (although I’m glad to say this isn’t one of those times ;) ) Much cheaper and healthier than buying a wrap from Starbucks too!

Vera Soo July 21, 2013 at 5:03 am

Yummy! Yummy!
Mine fav. filling a bit of Mexican style:
- mash avocado wth mashed smoked garlic (smoked garlic adds the extra oomph! sweetness)
- grounded pepper (secret is to use Sabah white or black pepper)
- bit of salt & cayenne pepper on the avocado
- tomato

Optional:
- slices of button mushroom
- cheese
- sweet basil
Can pop into the pan/microwave if want it hot :)

Yes, as you’ve mentioned it’s styles UNLIMITED!
I used to do this as wraps/pizza all the time in the office :D
Fresh wrapped/prep. lunch!

July 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Ooh yours sound really nice too! I don’t usually like eating avocado but I don’t mind them if mixed with other things and using smoked garlic is a great idea! It would be so flavorsome and wholesome too! I love eating and making wraps. Our imagination is the limit!

Applegal July 22, 2013 at 9:20 am

Sounds really good!! Love the fact that you can pack them for picnics and for lunches at work, which saves a bundle of money (and is healthier). I can’t wait to try it myself! The wrap doesn’t get mushy from the kidney bean paste? I wonder whether you can put avocado slices or paste in there and it stays dry.

July 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Its very yummy! No, the wrap doesn’t get mushy but if you’re afraid it might be, layer the lettuce leaf first (make sure it’s dry) then put your filling on top so when you wrap, the wetter filling is insulated by the dry lettuce leaf :D Learned this packing my own sandwiches in uni to avoid soggy sandwiches! ;)

Ting July 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

Or separate the wet & dry ingredients, do a quick wrap when you’re ready to eat? :)

July 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Yep! That’s another way to do it!

Ting July 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love wraps too!! For parties, it’s a great food to prepare for reasons as you have already mentioned. During my student days, I used to host pot luck parties where I prepared poh-piah (or sushi, when the mood was right). The wonderful thing is that you let the guests DIY, and they actually love it! :D

Your idea goes very well with pita bread too. Yum yum. I haven’t tried mashed kidney beans before. Hummus goes very well into wraps as well. And natural yogurt! :D :D And avocado! Yippeeee!

July 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Yes! I absolutely love making pohpiah! I recently met some people who have never made their own pohpiah, if you can imagine that, so they have no idea how to roll it! That’s part of the fun isn’t it? You never know if yours will explode haha! :D Now you make me miss making sushi. Haven’t made it in ages.