in Events,FOTD,Musings

her world hba13 Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Coo-ee!! icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Hi Ladies and the lurking Gents … and readers who may have found me via the Her World Magazine July 2013 issue icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

I haven’t said anything about this before, but I was invited by Her World magazine to be part of their judging panel for the Her World Beauty Awards 2013 early this year and I was so excited about it! icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine I’m telling you about it now, because the July issue is out with the results of the Best in Beauty and they have a little “Get to know the Judges” section! Eeks! PB in print! *preen* icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

I shared a picture of it on my various social media profiles a couple of days back when I picked up a copy of the mag, and I wanted to thank everyone for all your lovely lovely comments and ‘likes’, if I forgot or missed you out. I read every one and I thank you all for your kind words icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine This year I was even a little more star struck than I was last year, placed amongst local celebrities and experts in their field, sharing the judging panel with local celebrity and TV host Elaine Daly, Editor-in-Chief of Her World magazine Seema Viswanathan, local makeup artist extraordinaire KF Bong who did our photoshoot makeup, and consultant aesthetic physician Dr. Karen Po. I’m truly truly humbled and thankful for the opportunity offered.

I know some of you were really taken by the look created for the photoshoot especially that amazing cat eyeliner, so I cleverly (heh heh) remembered to take some pictures post photoshoot, to share them with you, and also what products were used. Also, some little backstage peeks, and well, as we say here in Malaysia, this is a syiok sendiri (loosely translated into ‘narcissistic’) post. Please bear with me icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

her world hba13work Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

It wasn’t all play unfortunately. We had to sift through the hundreds of products, decide which we liked, meet and debate the merits and demerits of our choices, defend our picks for the No. 1 spot – never got nasty, its only beauty after all! icon wink Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine And then undergo a gruelling photoshoot. Gruelling for me, that is. I freeze before the lens and take poorly to art direction so the relief when I was told it was a wrap was palpable! icon smile Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine Major props to the photographer and the Her World team for putting up with my stiffness.

As for the look, I requested my signature red lips, and make up artist KF Bong (also judge) decided that a very simple cat-eye liner would go well with it. He worked very quickly, much to my surprise, and it was really impressive up close in a very editorial sort of way. Here’s some pictures I took when I got home before everything melted away icon smile Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

herworld fotd Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Face: base of Hada Labo Air BB cream (my own), Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, Chanel Blanc Powder compact, Nars Laguna Bronzer

Eye: Laura Mercier Cake Liner in Black mixed with Urban Decay All Night Spray for thick eyeliner, Bobbi Brown Black Gel Eyeliner to tightline. No mascara or other eye makeup

Lips: Nars Lipliner in a red shade (no idea of name), Nars Pure Matte Lipstick (likely in Mascate)

For definition and to make it bolder, the lips were lined outside my natural lip line. It did make my lips look much more prominent than they usually look. I suppose it needed to be that way for the camera else it wouldn’t show up as well. I also realised when goofing around at home, that with lips this prominent, it was much easier to fake the sexy model pout without looking too silly.

I also realised lips this big don’t translate well when I smile as I do in my usual portraits icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine Just something off about how it looks… but at least the colour and shape is still clearly visible.

her world hba13 2 Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Still, I love the look of the Nars lipstick and I think I want to check it out the next time I am near a Nars counter or maybe I’ll take a chance online. The texture was amazing and although it was a Matte lipstick, it still has a bit of shine so it wasn’t too flat and it wasn’t drying. Love it! icon biggrin Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

her world hba13full 150x150 Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Thanks for sharing my moment in the limelight and if you haven’t already, do check out the Best in Beauty July edition of the Her World Beauty Awards 2013. 188 new items to try – some of them my personal faves, some totally new to me. Let me know if any of those that made the cut, made yours too! icon wink Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

You can read a brief insight into my thoughts on my beauty inspiration, what I enjoy most about skincare and what beauty trend the world can do without, by enlarging the image on the left icon wink Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Alright, I’ll float down gently from Cloud 9 now. See ya soon, with more beauty-ful news icon smile Her World Beauty Awards 2013 : The Beauty Junkie Judge and a breakdown of the look in the Magazine

Angelina June 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

Paris, you are sizzling hot. Love the red lips and cat-eye liner.

July 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm

<3 Thank you so much Angelina :D

LeGeeque June 28, 2013 at 9:14 am

Aww, congratulations for being the judge again. So glad you’re doing this. Can’t wait to hear about the stash of products that will get picked! :D

July 4, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks bunches! <3 I was very thrilled too and the results are actually already out in the mag! I haven’t actually seen which actually won yet coz we debated so many lol!

Lavender June 28, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi Paris

You look great in the Mag. KF Bong is good , I had a makeover by him before. He is good at handling monolid like me
Lavender recently blogged…A Lilac Event with Yves RocherMy Profile

July 4, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hi Lavender, thank you :D It was my first time meeting KF Bong and he was pretty impressive. Glad that you agree ;)

Firn June 28, 2013 at 9:33 am

OMG your base is flawless!

What do you make of the Hada Labo Air BB? I remember you didn’t like their BB emulsion last time…

July 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hi Firn, I know! I was stunned too but the amount of makeup on my face to achieve that… you don’t really want that much on a daily basis LOL :D I do like the Air BB actually. I am supposed to say something about it but I keep forgetting! I should soon! I liked the BB Emulsion too but the shades were off. The Air BB shade is lighter and the texture isn’t as creamy. Very light, pretty sheer, but does a good job for lazy weekends if you don’t mind that blemishes or freckles will show through. Nothing a touch of concealer can’t handle ;)

Firn July 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

I haven’t seen the Air BB cream here in Singapore though, so I don’t know if they will be bringing it in.

July 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

You don’t get it there?! How very strange! It’s been out here for a while. I’ll remember to blog about it soon and you can pick it up the next time you’re in my part of town ;)

June 28, 2013 at 9:47 am

I think the fuller lips suit you a lot, whether you smiled or not! Red lips scream your name :-)
Lily recently blogged…Accessorize It: Vintage EarringsMy Profile

June 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

Oh, and forgot to congratulate you again :-) Distracted by your sexy lips! LOL!
Lily recently blogged…Accessorize It: Vintage EarringsMy Profile

July 4, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Haha good distraction eh? ;) Thanks bunches! <3

July 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thank you Lily! :) I loved how the lips turned out too. Made me wish we had a Nars counter here so I could check them out in person!

Sarah June 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

Ahh, pretty! Haven’t bought a magazine in ages, but I’ll be picking up this edition.

Congratulations! :D

July 4, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Awww thank you for the support Sarah! :D I don’t normally pick up mags too but I picked up 2! LOL

Mari Ohira June 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

Girl, you look gorgeous! I loved the makeup and the red dress really fits you! It’s been long since I last tried some cat eyeliner and now I’m tempted to do it once more, very classy indeed. ;)

July 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thank you so much Mari! <3 I was so amazed at the eyeliner – so fierce! I don’t think I could pull it off on a normal day but like you, I want to pick up a cat liner again… on a less dramatic scale hehe

Rin June 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

Gorgeous Paris! I’m loving your red lips and cat-eye liner! Congratulations for being the judge :)

July 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thank you Rin! The look quite surprised me too but was good for editorial I guess. I can’t imagine walking around in this haha

Sze Ling June 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yay! Another year! Wohoo! :D

Did they just gave you a promotion from “the people’s voice” to “the beauty junkie”? :P

July 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

Woohoo! Thanks Sze Ling! :D And haha I didn’t see it that way, but it does look like I sort of evolved didn’t I? :P

Victoria June 28, 2013 at 11:04 am

Congratulations again for being picked as judge. I usually do not buy fashion magazines (other than the odd Cleo and it has been ages since I last read Her World) but I think I will make an exception for July. Lol. You look smoking hot actually. But I still prefer FOTDs with your natural lip shape of course :-)

July 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

Thank you Victoria! :D I don’t usually buy mags too but I bought 2 of the July issue haha! (I prefer my usual lip shape too! Haha!)

aiyu June 28, 2013 at 11:10 am

Congrats! You look amazing!

July 5, 2013 at 10:06 am

Thank you lovely! :D

Ginny June 28, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Thumbs up and congratulations on round two as a judge! What a resounding endorsement of your credentials as a beauty blogger. All your readers are absolutely proud of you!

July 5, 2013 at 10:08 am

Thank you so much for the kind words, Ginny!

Tracy June 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm

You look AMAZING. I honestly think out of all the blogs I read, you look the BEST in a red lip Paris! Congrats!
Tracy recently blogged…My Two Favourite Eyeliners Right Now- Marcelle Kajal Kohl Eyeliner and Pixi Straight On Til’ MorningMy Profile

July 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

Aww Tracy you look so hot in red lips yourself! Its why we’re Lipstick Bandits! :D Thank you *hugs*

Ting June 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hi Paris.. I adore your simple yet sometimes elegant/sometimes sweet/ sometimes fresh and sexy make up looks! You pose with confidence and comfortably convey that in every portrait =) stay beautiful inside out always!

July 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Ting, you are so sweet! I can’t pose to save my life but I think its easier hamming it up when you’re alone instead of having 5 pairs of eyes on you watching your every move! :D Thank you so much <3

gio June 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

You look gorgeous! Love the red lips. And congratulations!
gio recently blogged…QOTW: Do You Wash Your Hair With The Same Brand Shampoo And Conditioner?My Profile

July 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thank you so much Gio!

Jyoan June 28, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I think you’re fine when you smile! No issues with that bigger lips.
Jyoan recently blogged…Get Ready With Positively Nice – Simple EverydayMy Profile

July 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thanks Jyoan! I think its just a matter of getting used to it :D

Yishan June 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Congrats Paris B!!! Your makeup looks HOTTT!!
Yishan recently blogged…Insta-Fridays: Nail Polish AdventuresMy Profile

July 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thank you so much Yishan! :D

Jennifer June 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Paris, you’re stunningly beautiful! Do I see a sexy Catwoman in the house? Absolutely gorgeous eyes and love the red lips the most :) Yes, that’s the PB signature that I recognize. The Nars Laguna Bronzer had a great balancing effect to the eyes and lips. I got a copy of Her World and excitedly showed to my mum, “See Mee, I know this pretty lady! She’s my favourite blogger. Remember you asked what/how/who stirred and piqued my interest in skincare and make up? This is the fabulous lady I was telling you about.” I then proudly walk away with my magazine and singing “I know a celebrity too!” lol lol. Haha, stop short of thinking I’ve lost a few marbles, I think she would be pleased that I’ve drawn inspiration from you.

Congratulations! So happy and so proud of you. I felt warm and fuzzy seeing your profile page :)

July 5, 2013 at 10:14 am

Haha thank you Jennifer :D The bronzer threw me for a loop too. I didn’t expect it to turn out the way it did, but it did look quite ‘natural’ on camera. In person, less so haha! Thanks for the support and for telling your Mom! She must be thinking we’re both certifiable hehe… ;)

Natalie June 29, 2013 at 2:20 am

You look amazing!!!!! Way to go Paris!

July 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thank you Natalie! <3

Jacqueline June 29, 2013 at 9:37 am

Paris, you look awesome with your red lips and cat eye liner. The red dress is beautiful. Congratulations on being a judge!
Jacqueline recently blogged…NARS Satin Lip Pencil Yu Review and Swatches and Nordstrom HaulMy Profile

July 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thank you so much Jacqueline! And for reading! :D

Adeline June 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

You look beautiful!

July 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thank you Adeline! :D

Joyce (bronzerbunny)
June 30, 2013 at 11:08 am

congrats! Your feature looks awesome, and you look absolutely gorgeous!
Joyce (bronzerbunny) recently blogged…Products That Didn’t Work For Me, #2My Profile

July 5, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thank you so much, Joyce! It was an amazing experience :)

Tine
June 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm

PHWOAR! *wolf whistle* Gorgeous makeup! Love the strong lips and winged eyes. You should do it more often ;)
Congrats on the gig! Can’t wait to see what the winners are :D
Tine recently blogged…L’Oreal Wild Ombré Hair Colour Workshop Competition Winners!My Profile

July 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thanks Tine! :D I was pretty chuffed too but there’s no way I can replicate this winged eye look! I’d end up with lopsided eyes haha!

Samantha July 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Paris,

You look awesome, congratulations!

Im especiallly taken by that Armani foundation, did you happen to notice which shade were you? I had been wanting to buy it for several months but hadnt been sure which shade I was. I recalled we shared several foundy shades, so what works for you could work for me too!

Xoxo

July 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi Samantha, thank you so much :) I honestly can’t remember the number of the Armani foundation, sorry! I think he might have said 5 (which honestly isn’t a shade I’d wear out daily because it’s a bit too yellow and dark for my overall skin and it does oxidise) I have a problem with GA foundations which is why I don’t use them anymore. I used to use #4 which is a bit too yellow for me but its probably the closest to my actual skintone or 4.5 which was a bit pink. Just nothing quite right. Good luck!

Sofia July 2, 2013 at 3:26 am

Congratulations! Wow that eyeliner and lipstick looks so glamorous!
Sofia recently blogged…Melon and Cucumber Salad with SalmonMy Profile

July 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank you so much, lovely!