Clinique Even Better City Block Anti-Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

in Makeup,Product Reviews,Sunscreen

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On June 29, 2013
Last modified:June 28, 2013

Summary:

clinique even better city block2 Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

Sunscreen or sunblock. Whatever you want to call it.

Use it!

I have tried so many different brands of sunscreen in my time (and I do have my favourite that I’ve repurchased) but there is also one you don’t hear a lot of but which I also quite like. I recently found out that the Clinique Derma White City Block is now known as Even Better City Block Anti-Pollution SPF40 PA+++ Sunscreen. Its been a while since I’ve used this one. Last I did was back in 2011 (you can read my review of it here) and I was later gifted a tube which I used about halfway through before my wandering eye hit hehe…

Clinique calls this the City Block Anti-Pollution sunscreen because it doesn’t only protect our skin from the harmful (and terribly aging) UV rays, it also protects our skin against harmful city pollution. During the recent thick haze that shrouded our country and neighbouring Singapore, we were warned to wear face masks that could filter out hazardous particulates from the air when we breathe. These miniscule particulates measure up to 2.5PM and can travel through our respiratory tract and lodge in our lungs, causing us health problems. You can read a little more about this from the New York Department of Health site.

Well, according to Clinique, their Even Better City Block not only protects skin against general pollution, it will also block and prevent the PM2.5 particulates from potentially entering our skin through open pores and broken skin and which may potentially cause damage to our skin. Never a better reason to wear your sunblock ladies! Its still pretty hazy out there! I’ve already blogged about this so this serves as a refresher icon smile Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

clinique even better city block Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

As you can see, what used to be known as Derma White City Block is now Even Better City Block. As part of the Clinique Even Better range, what this product also does is even out skin tone while protecting skin against pollution and UV rays. There is a tint to this sunscreen which I find infinitely more flattering than the BB Cream or the CC Cream.

clinique even better city block4 Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

As you can see, the tint is a little light (see a better swatch in my earlier City Block review) but what’s great about this is that it is non greasy, non oily and does not turn orange! Also, I have layered it (I usually put a little more sunscreen on my cheeks) and it doesn’t look unnatural at all. My older, slightly dry skin does like the slightly creamy gel-emulsion texture.

If you are the sort who wants something quick and practical for weekends or light makeup days, I think you could just ditch your BB and CC Creams (sorry Clinique CC Cream!) and go instead for this tinted sunscreen or any tinted sunscreen. A tinted sunscreen will offer your skin far more protection than any BB or CC Cream for the simple reason that it is formulated to be first and foremost, a sunscreen and second, makeup. All the alphabet creams I’ve tried thus far are makeup first, skincare second. For this reason, I never take them seriously. Sorry, fans icon razz Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

The tint is very light of course, so if you have very good skin, this will be all you need. If you don’t have very good skin, this makes a good primer or makeup base. When I use this tinted sunscreen on weekdays, I don’t layer on heavy foundation, but usually only a light tinted moisturiser or a sheer foundation or a powder foundation. Layering thin layers of product actually gives you a much more natural appearance – try it if you don’t believe me icon wink Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution On weekends, this is all I use.

clinique even better city block3 Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

My opinion from 2011 hasn’t changed (read here) so I’m not going into specifics here. Although I do have my favourite sunscreen, I am quite happy using this one as well for the slight tint it offers me if I were going out and don’t want to be bare-faced. I would much prefer it to be SPF50 instead of just SPF40 but I suppose that’s better than SPF30 or even… gasp! SPF15! icon smile Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

Have you tried the Clinique City Block sunscreen? Do you wear tinted sunscreen?

I can’t wear the Clinique BB Cream nor the tinted CC Creams because the shades available here are too dark for me. I have heard that the CC Cream (tinted versions, not the primer versions) are quite impressive but as I have said, I’m not sold on the concept. I’d much rather wear a tinted sunscreen because then I’d be more confident that my skin is protected, instead of just looking good icon smile Clinique Even Better City Block Anti Pollution: Blocking against UV Rays, Hazy Days and City Pollution

Clinique Even Better City Block Anti-Pollution SPF40 PA+++ Price: RM140/30ml Availability: Clinique counters

liyeun June 29, 2013 at 9:37 am

How do you compare this new sunblock with the clarins tinted version?

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

In terms of texture, this one is more creamy while Clarins is more liquid. I haven’t tried the tinted Clarins one, only the pink based one and I liked that. For both, I’m a little leery of the SPF40 but its mostly in my head :P Now that my skin is a little drier, I prefer a slightly more creamy texture which the Clarins doesn’t quite do for me. I haven’t been using it for a while, not since I came upon the Shiseido one :P

Firn June 29, 2013 at 11:13 am

I wanted to try this one since a friend of mine recommended it but the long list of ingredients makes me afraid to!

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’m probably the worst person out there coz I’m not really fazed by ingredient lists but then I don’t really have very sensitive skin which may be why it doesn’t bug me so. I do think its quite a good sunscreen and the tint is nice, but I’m not too sure how good it is for sensitive skin although they do say its tested etc :)

Makeup Morsels June 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Totally agree that thin layers give a much more natural appearance! If you build slowly, you’ll end up with something much more convincing than if you cake on a bunch at once. Only wish it hadn’t taken me so long to figure this out haha. I like the Anti-Pollution factor of this one!

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’m like you MM, I used to slap stuff on with a trowel only to realise much later in my dotage that I should be layering them like chiffon :D

Sunny June 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hey Paris, now I’m intrigued! I tried the tinted version of Clinique’s CC cream recently, and unfortunately the shades are way off on me (too beige). A tinted sunscreen on the other hand, looks promising! I don’t think this is available in Belgium (at least yet), but I did see it has rolled out in Taiwan as well. I’ll look into it when I’m back in July!

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

Guess what Sunny, I picked up the Clinique CC Cream in Natural Fair from the airport recently and can’t wait to give it a go! I do like the texture of it, just wasn’t crazy about the peach and pink version I tried that was more primer than tint. This one is pretty impressive but I’ve heard it could be Asia only. Funny huh? Something this good and they keep it in Asia only -_-

Sunny July 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Yeah I think it is Asia only! The local PR has never heard of it! I don’t get it sometimes, either.

wan June 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm

love to try in the future…liking the shiseido also….

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

Always good to have options! ;)

Lily June 29, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I’ve been using this since it landed on my desk and I’ve been loving it! The tint is enough to even out my skin tone, and after a light swipe of concealer and a dust of powder, I’m good to go :-) It does get oily after the 4 hour mark, but a good blot takes care of that.

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

Its one of those things that you don’t expect to wow, but it does, right? :) Was impressed with it the first time around and still impressed now.

synical June 30, 2013 at 12:15 am

The cynic in me is thinking Clinique is cashing in on the haze by saying that it blocks haze particulates :P Just saying…

I’ve tried their sunblock over the years and it breaks me out.

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 10:48 am

Haha gotta give them props for trying although the haze is mostly cleared now anyway :D I like the idea of “anti-pollution”, quite a few brands tout that although to a large extent I think anything that you use on your skin as a sort of barrier will act as “anti-pollution” too. Just sayin’ ;) I didn’t like the Clinique yellow tube of sunscreen. This was much better.

LeGeeque July 1, 2013 at 7:10 am

This brings back memories of the very first sunscreen I used from Dermalogica. It was tinted as well and it was lovely! I think it’s called Ultra Sensitive sunblock. But it was only in SPF 25 so I always had to top up with something else underneath.

I’m going to see if I could get a sample from somewhere to try before I splurge. Clinique products have always broken me out – historically. :P

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 11:45 am

I’ve heard that the Dermalogica sunscreen is good stuff but you know what? I’ve only ever tried 1 product from Dermalogica! Not sure why but its not a brand I have a lot of interest in. Also, I don’t understand brands that do a sunscreen in anything less than SPF30. I mean why bother if you’re going to make it SPF6?!

Wojis July 3, 2013 at 2:20 am

It’s so different then in Europe, I have City Block SPF 25, it’s tinted just a bit. I would love a higher SPF in it, but they still haven’t released it. I love my Dr. Brand SPF 35 tinted sunblock.

Paris B July 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Its funny Wojis to see only SPF25! Over here I’ve seen SPF130! LOL Not that I believe them of course :P

bita July 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm

is this the same with super city block spf 40? what is the difference Paris?

Paris B July 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Well, firstly this is Asia only and on top of protecting the skin from UV rays and pollution, it also works to help even out skintone. Its part of the Even Better range so that means its one of the “whitening” range of products. Texture wise, I find it lighter and not as heavy and oily as teh Super City Block which comes in the green tube. The tint in that one is too orange for me while this one is much lighter and I think, more suited to those of us with Asian colouring. I never liked Super City Block although it got a lot of raves but I like this one because it isn’t oily :)

bita July 20, 2013 at 7:16 am